I'm Back!

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Most of you have probably noticed that I have not been on here in almost two weeks. I have been hospitalized since January 17; I got shot in my upper back and lost the use of my right arm. Here is the story as I have it posted on another forum to which I belong:

Hello, everyone. I'm posting this thread to tell everyone about a recent incident that effectively ended my security career.

At approximately 2345 on 16 Jan, I had just left my post at the check cashing store where I was employed. My plan was to head to my apartment, which is located just across the street, check my mail, drop off my newspaper and the tupperware container in which I had brought my lunch, and head back out to my next gig, which is as a bouncer at a nightclub.

Anyway, as I was approaching the entrance to my apartment complex, a guy wearing dark clothing was walking in my direction. As we passed each other, when he got behind me, he turned around and shot me. Even though I was wearing level III body armor underneath my shirt, the bullet hit me right above it, next to my shoulder blade. I fell to the ground in a heap, my right arm (which is my shooging arm), crumpled in a heap next to me. The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.

I was able to get right up, and I searched on my duty belt for my cell phone, which I was unable to locate. I was able to gather up my things and get inside and up to my apartment and used the phone in there to call 911. The police arrived first, and the responding officer took me downstairs to wait for the ambulance to arrive. Upon getting down there, I learned that another woman who lived in my building was sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot when the incident happened, and she also called the police. She also located my cell phone and returned it to me when I got downstairs.

I was admitted to the hospital at 0020 on 17 January, where, after a CT scan was done on me, it was determined that I get transferred. I was transferred to the hosptial's southern campus at 0630.

I just got released today. During my 11 day stay, I had the bullet, which was lodged in the front of my neck, removed, and I began physical therapy to regain the use of my right arm. So now begins a rigorous regimen of physical therapy. I'll keep everyone updated.

While I am at times bitter about the end of my career and my independence being taken away from me, I'm just happy to be alive, and happy that the guy didn't hurt me worse than he did.

Last edited:
Tatt, glad you made it out alive!! I was wondering what happened to you and regretfully, the thought did cross my mind that you might have indeed been shot! I think security detail is way more dangerous than police work!

Man the dirtbag got your piece too! Sucks big time!!!! I hope they catch the scumbag and recover your G22. The BG certainly doesn't need it!!!

Glad you are back!

I'm glad you are alive. Listen up to the docs and medical types. Hopefully you will recover well enough to be on the range again.

Tat, glad to hear you are recovering. Hope your PD has a high arrest rate and that they recover your property soon.

Our Prayers

I am glad to hear your talking and walking. Our Prayers and thoughts are with you. Let us know what we can do for you..

Tat, man I'm so glad that you are recovering. It could have been a lot worst. Keep us updated on your recovery and the dirtbag that shot you. You'll be in my prayers for a quick and complete recovery!

Oh man, I am SO SORRY that this happened to you.

It sounds to me like this was hardly a crime of convenience. While you sound like the type to maintain pretty good situational awareness, it is hard to defend against someone who is hunting you. I, like everyone else, wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Remember, just because a doctor says it is permanent doesn't make it the truth. Work hard and get it back.

Reading your account has also decided me on carrying a BUG easily accessible for a weak side draw. I guess I had better start practicing a bit more, as well.

Nice to see the effectiveness of the gun laws. I guess, when the criminals want guns, their next stop will be US.

BTW, Tatt, do they know what kind of bullet they took out of you? Did you at least get to keep it?

Last edited:
Good argument for a BUG. Guess I'll have to start carrying one, too.

Tat, when I worked Security in Bowling Green KY, my boss was shot in the head by a .38 from close enough that the muzzleflash singed an eyebrow. (The BG was his BIL so situational awareness was down). He was back at work both on the family's dairy farm and in the security company's office within 4 months. Keep your morale up, and know we're pulling for you.

I had wondered if anything was wrong seeing as how it had been a while sense you were here. I am really sorry to here this news. I will be keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. I hope they catch the punk soon.

OMG, I agree, it doesn't sound random at all! I'm glad you are alive! Recover thoroughly and quickly! I hope that you can identify, and I hope that the LEOs can bring the BG, aka, the slimy piece of Bilge Grime, to justice! I'm hoping that you can you switch hands and maybe keep your career. Hugs!

re: I'm Back

I was wondering what happened to you, my friend. The news that you had been shot was like a kick in the groin. I had a flashback to the day I got hurt, also losing my career. I sincerely hope you are able to recoup and return to the field we share a love for. You were extrremely lucky, as the BG could just as well have shot you in the head while you were down. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. My wife and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, because I have been where you are, even if I had my leg taken out of action,the end result was the same for both of us. Take care and get well, bro.

whoa, baby!!

we have disagreed on some things, but i am thankful you were not killed. the dr. word is not the last, so give it all you got in rehab. i was told i would never walk . but i walk. hopefully you were able to give P.D. nough info to get theslimeball bastard. i pray for a speedy recovery and complete use of your shooting arm. go,tatt,go!!!!

Until I read that I thought carrying a .45 on my strong side and two mags on the other were plenty. I reckon I will have to buy my girlfriend her own pistol, and get my .38 back.

Sorry to hear of the attack and glad to hear you've survived. I hope your recovery is complete.

Hang strong Bro!

Tatt, get well soon Bro!

I'm fairly new here, so I haven't gotten to know folks yet, but when I read your post I swallowed hard.

I just quit a security job, after a kidnapping next to where I worked (small hospital)...and it wasn't so much the kidnapping itself that got to me, as the fact that it just made me think about how someone could "follow me home" as it sounds like happened to you. Perhaps endangering the family. Often security folks don't have the support (operational security) that they should from employers...as the Police DO have.

Security can be more dangerous than police work...because often we may be peeking into a dark corner alone at 3am, with (sometimes only pepper spray) no immediate backup (10-15 minutes away, if that quick!)...and yet someone may still want to shoot you just because of the uniform.
And sometimes even, that threat can come from within where you are working.
Typically we guard folks/places that can be just as bad as the "bad guys" (internally).

Combine that with the fact that often security is treated with little respect (often called "rent-a-cops" or "cop wannabes") by many folks, makes it a very dangerous and unappreciated job (usually for very little pay!).

Tatt, I of course can't speak to it being the end of your career, but I can speak to it being a often "thankless" career.
I am very thankfull you were not KIA!

I myself (hopefully) got out before anything "followed me home", and I currently look at it (my situation) as having been a great "tactical" learning experience, but not one I want to return to.
It has made me well aware of the threats, and more respectful of the precarious situation most security folks find themselves in just trying to feed the family (or such).
With the faltering economy, it will only get worse.

I learned what I needed to learn from the experience, and about myself. (turns out I'm brave enough).
Gained a ton of practical/tactical experience and thinking.
But, I will never put myself (and family) in that situation again.

Think of it this way:
A soldier in Iraq or A'stan deals with "operational security" in their "area of operations"...but they have plenty of folks for backup (usually) and sometimes get a slight break from the everyday threat when they go home on leave. Maybe home to their family. It's been decades since our families were threatended in a true war zone. (excepting 9-11, of course)

Cops and Security never get that break. You work and live in your "area of operations". It's a 24hr OPSEC thing...and it can very possibly "follow you home" and threaten your family.
Often your family is there in the same area (or very near) your "operations".
Only when the towers fell did "war" come home to us (so-to-speak), but Cops and Security (and FF and EMT) live that threat 24/7/365 for themselves and their family.

Get well soon, get back to the range, and give some serious thought to ever going back to that stuff anytime soon.
Stand strong, Brother. There are some other ways (I'm finding) to make a difference.
Sheepdog, yes! But from now on: ONLY for my own family (or so I currently think, anyway!).

PM me if you need other ideas(or just to trade "war stories" or BS)...I've been doing much thinking...and have got many.
Stand strong for yourself and family, Bro!
AZG

Last edited:
Tat,
Im sorry to hear about this. Were you shot because of your security job or was this actually at your apartment?

I wish you a speedy recovery and am thankful that you werent killed.

I have to ask... were you CC'ing or OC'ing?

I ask because you now obviously know that if a bad guy wants your gun... He can get it either way.

Glad you're OK though for sure.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back