How many of you work at a job at says no weapons on it's grounds?

I work at a VA hospital where it has always been policy that no one is to bring firearms onto hospital property unless they are LEO's, then they have to store their weapons unless they are working a case. Firearms are not even allowed to be kept inside one's vehicles. Early last year there was an ongoing conflict at the hospital between two male employees over one female employee. This situation became worse over time until one night things turned deadly. Each male employee got into their cars, one had the female with him, and left VA property when their shift ended at midnight. They made it a few blocks before a running gunfight ensued from car to car as they were going down the street. One person was hit and crashed his car. The other employee then stopped and the gunfight continued. It ended up with one guy being shot to death, the woman hiding behind some bushes beside the road, scared but unhurt, and the other male unhurt. The trial is still pending. The VA sent out MEMO's after this incident as a reminder about the firearms directives. Our VA hospital is smack in the middle of one of the more nasty parts of town. There is a huge state funded housing complex directly across the street from the hospital. To my personal knowledge the hospital has been shot at and hit 3 times in the past. One bullet went through the window of a patients room and impacted into the wall near the patient but no one was hurt. Another more recent shooting a bullet went through the window in the room where a patient was undergoing a sleep study test. Again no one was hurt, neither the patient or the tech doing the test. On each New Years night the main gate to the VA is closed off and the employee's getting off work at midnight are directeded out the back gate due to all the gunfire coming from the housing project. For me to get home from the hospital I have to pass through this ghetto area. I have never been personally shot at while leaving workt but each night when I leave the hospital grounds I feel like I'm in someone's crosshairs. My having a firearm on hospital property I would be comitting a Federal Crime and if caught would lose my job and go to jail.

Catch 22

That is one crazy place to be working at! If you don't have someone trying to shoot directly at you, there is always a chance you can get nailed by a ricochet. The stupid part is, if you try to complain to the employer, like saying something needs to be done so we are protected, say install bullet proof windows, they can always turn around and say, go find a job elsewhere.

So basically it comes down to, bad guys can have guns, because if they can’t, no one is doing anything to stop them there, but the good citizens have no right to protect themselves at a place of work that is so unsafe!

Company says no, to carry

I worked for a company, driving a local truck, oh what the hell--UPS-- that had a strick no guns on property rule. I also worked for a Sam's Club, as a door greeter. Always carried, always will.
I have my CCW.
Did I care what their rules were? Not on your life!
They are not there to keep you safe and I take full responcibility for my actions.
I'm still herer, not because of them.

What does "I live in Jersey" have to do with my post - if anything. Just curious.

that means that Im not a rock-star, politician, million air..so I cant carry. :fie: I love read about the many places that allow it.. wish I could.

My company does not allow firearms by policy as well as by posted sign at the entrance to the "compound," I mean complex. Therefore I do not carry inside the buildings. I do however keep my weapon in the truck. I along with nearly three fourths of the employees keep a firearm in the vehicle.

-directed at original post-
I would evaluate the possible threat level, if the circumstances of where you work (easy target?), the area you work (bad/good part of town, crime rate of area), the time you work (night as you stated, higher probability of crimes), and your desire to protect yourself (and loved ones). If any of these outway the consequences of getting caught with a firearm/weapon posibility of being fired) then I would be descretely carry regardless.

Now, I may be wrong but I dont think that ANY company policy trumps our Constitution... So even if your employer were to find you with a weapon, and try and have you fired, I think a good lawyer should be able to turn the case around as an infringement of your 2nd Admendment rights.

As for my personal situation, Our company policy also is a no carry, and I value my employment, also, I live in a low crime rate area, and although the people I work with all have different personalities, I do not consider any of them to be a threat, at this time. So, I do not feel the need to constantly carry. So I leave my weapon descretly locked up in my vehicle.

gun in car?

Why do you people, insist on leaving you gun, in the car?
The car, may be stolen, at any time.
Now, not only did you lose your gun and car, you armed a thief.
In your car, you keep you info, like you insurance card, you registration, a bill or two.
They have your address on them.
Now, the thief, knows, you have guns and knowes where you live.
AND, there maybe more guns in the house, which leaves you open for another hit.
Good thinking.

Hey, Chudak! Wassa matta you?

How does your comment help anyone? If you're going to say that, then maybe go into detail about what you have to deal with instead of just being rude.

First of all, I really don't see what you find rude. Second, if you are as unaware of the horrible, horrible thieves of our second amendment rights (Jersey, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc.) then I recommend reading a newspaper on occasion.

First of all, I really don't see what you find rude. Second, if you are as unaware of the horrible, horrible thieves of our second amendment rights (Jersey, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc.) then I recommend reading a newspaper on occasion.

lol That was my whole point, instead of just saying I live in Jersey, have something afterwards. Not everyone knows what the poster is talking about for sure or what he meant by it. It was like saying I have it worse than you, but not explaining how. For all I know it could have been that they have drive by shootings on a daily basis on their street (because the other person was talking about bullets hitting her work place) or that they don't even have an option to be able to carry at all. This way whoever is reading does not have to guess what he was trying to say and interpret it wrong. That is why I said it was rude, at least that's how I interpreted it, because the other one was talking about how crappy her workplace is and then you just get I live in Jersey, SO! Sorry, I probably should just have asked for him to explain what he meant by it first. I am aware of how some of those states treat the second amendment, which is why I choose to live in the great state of Idaho, where for now the second amendment still means something. Although we did get a bunch of Californians in the last few years that would like to see Idaho become another California in regards to the gun laws anyway!

Working for the Federal Gov't

that means that Im not a rock-star, politician, million air..so I cant carry. :fie: I love read about the many places that allow it.. wish I could.

I also thought at first your comment to be rude but didn't want to get into a pissing match with someone I didn't know and wasn't sure what you really meant by your comment to my post so I just left things alone. Am glad to hear that's not the case. I'm here on this Forum just like everyone else. Where I live is probably no worse than most towns and cities and better than others. I just find it incomprehensable that someone would take pot shots at a hospital, and especially a VA hospital. It's no news what the government's policy concerning firearms on their property is. I know of several employee's who do keep handguns in their vehicles while at work but I have 22 years working for the VA hospital system and do not want to give that up if caught with a weapon and lose my retirement, do jail time, etc.

PAX

anyone that reads the posts on this site know what people in jersey are going through as far as CCW permits. maybe that is one of the reasons the jersey doesn't have the support it needs. I made a mistake and assumed that everyone knew about jerseys issues. Maybe if they did know more about the laws here, we could get more support.
Some members that have the rights have no idea how difficult it really is not to be able to get the CCW permit:help:

NJ??

PRINCETON, N.J. (AP) -- Princeton University briefly alerted the campus after an employee spotted a male walking with a gun.

The gun turned out to be a toy water pistol and an "all clear'' was sounded minutes later Monday.

A Princeton spokeswoman says the man was believed to be participating in a summer camp on the Ivy league campus.

The alert was the third gun scare at Princeton this year.

Four teens caused a brief panic when one was spotted tucking a toy gun in his waistband in June and a student was seen in March with a permanently disabled rifle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above new article, is a big reason, I left NJ.
I had a cash business and carried large sums of cash with me and to and from the bank.
I applied for a CCW, and was not approved, in court. The judge, Burle Ives Humfriees, Passiac Cty, stated that I could hire a guard to do my cash carring.
Smart ass judge.
It seems as though, they want you to get robbed or hurt or killed for a robbery.
Here in FL. no problem and I don't need NJ. Never been back and don't intend to.
You had a good governor, Cristie Todd. A pro gunner. A very good leader.
What you have now, well, it is wasteful on your tax dollars.

Isn't it amazing how corporations have the right to infringe upon our constitutionally guaranteed rights? Just a thought.

My company has a no weapons policy too.

The other problem that you run in to is leaving your gun in your car. Especially in a bag. If anyone find out that you carry and that you cant carry at work then you run the risk of then assuming it is in your car. Someone at random could just choose your car to break in to. Then you have serious problems. If I ever have to leave my gun in my car it will be disassembled and locked to the car with a cable. In your situation I would work there for as short as possible. These are tough times right now so jobs are not easy to be picky about. That said it is even more important to be armed. It is not worth it especially leaving at 4 a.m. from the "golder arches". When do you think the best time to rob someone would be?? 4 a.m. coming out of a business with a lot of money. If you have to leave it in your car, I would consider at least a cable lock if not a bolted down lock box. Don't get something cheap though. A good lock box will cost you about $50 but you can bolt it right on the inside to the floor of your car or trunk. That way you can access it fast if needed. Where I am from, establishments have to post that weapons are banned from the premmises. Then they would have to know you have a gun(which they should never know). Then they have to tell you to leave. Then, if you dont leave for some stupid reason, they have to call the police and they will TELL you to leave. If you still have problems, you should not only not have a permit to carry but if the police dont shoot you they will take your gun and you get a misdimeanor and you get your gun back later.

If I carried at work and it was not allowed by my company, there a couple of things that could happen. If they found out, I would get fired. Or if I happened to shoot a robber or anyone for that matter I would most deffinately be sued for everything I do or ever will own, but I would be allive!!

Good luck on your deccision. Be safe.

P.S. The knife you can open with one hand is a great idea to have in case someone gets you from behind. You can stab the artery on the inside of their leg by the sex organs and rest assured they will let go because they will bleed out and die fast. That was you dont go def or shoot yourself by trying to shoot them.

But we have to obey the law or nothing separates us from the criminals.

This comment you wrote made alot of sense to me. I read it over and over again. So, what did I do? I read my Companies new updated "Code Of Conduct" (COC) booklet and it states no firearms allowed unless approved by HR and CEO. Basically, written approval. So, does this mean a person can actual CCW on Company if "approved"? Well, not wanting to be in the Criminal catagory, you know..breaking the Law, but instead a law abbiding citizen, I wrote to HR to get "approval" and explained that I was in fact a Law abbiding citizen who also like many Others support the 2nd Amend., have taken courses which I listed, by certified NRA instructors and approved by MA, NH, and ME state police. I explained that I conform to all state gun laws 100%.( I myself do not think it is a good idea to leave your weapon locked in a locked vehicle ie: if car is stolen, your lic. to CCW is taken away etc.) . I got a reply from HR....." We have reviewed your request with our legal department and we have also reviewed the Massachusetts law. Massachusetts does not give a person the right to bring firearms on to our property regardless of whether an individual is licensed or not. Therefore, we will stick with our Code and you are prohibited from bringing your firearm onto company property, including the parking lot".
I'm wondering which MA law shows this and if I understood their COC, it's saying you can CCW only if you get approval from said dept's, but MA law says you cannot? I don't get it.
So now I cannot have my weapon on me at all when I leave my house from another state to go to work. I had done so before keeping it concealed on me while at work, but feeling a little on the guilty side that I was in fact a criminal (?), I decided to write to HR to protect myself and Co. I also asked them to keep the memo between said dept's. which were, HR and CEO. What did They do? They cc'ed my immediate supervisors who at times "talk" around the cooler. So much for CCW now eh? What the hell good is Concealing if everyone knows now?! Honestly, I do not think They looked up Any laws, because They would have.......Should have shown me in the memo the MA Statutes for showing this.
If this is their policy then so be it, but I do not agree with the way it was handled. Tells me, these are the "anti gun" crowd who did not look into this matter but instead just gave a lame excuse to keep me from CCW. All I was doing was protecting myself and the company and now I feel like the CRIMINAL.
I am a NH res and work in MA.
Please give me your thoughts on this.

You decide. With a gun you could lose your job and maybe your permit (although I think that part varies from state to state). Without your gun you could lose your life. Get something you can conceal in a pocket holster and never mention it to anyone. If you decide not to carry in violation of their policy then I'd say once you are safely to your car why would you bother going back in and getting all suited up for combat? Just drive home. My rule of thumb when deciding where to carry is if they don't have metal detectors and/or random searches then I carry in a way that thy will never know unless I need to defend my life. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six.

The common thread is that you should comply with what your employer requires of you or risk losing the job and/or your CCW license. Follow their rules..You would want someone to honor your rules in your house.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back