what should i do now?

Wow...you got it! Goodonya!

Well...when you push the Go Advanced button, it takes you to another two windows where you can see what you had already typed for your reply at the top, how it would look like and then the other window at the bottom is the same editing window but larger and wider and if you plan to write a long article or a book (joking...) you have more room. Do take advantage of these.

When you encounter another hitch or hiccup please do not hesitate to ask... Or if you want some other advancement items to put in your post, many here will be willing to jump in and guide you. People here are a very friendly lot...just sometimes the conversation get a little bit heated. Don't let that worry you. Life is too short to get yourself agitated over little things. Just do your best for everyone.

Be happy...be safe...stay safe out there.

You are very good at explaining this website.. I might try to press the advanced button tomorrow..
This is going to be a better week since my vacation starts tomorrow.. I want to do my research
on the guns and permits this week before I have to go back to work.. It's best to be prepared.
My friend at work says she thinks the thief will come back, I went to work today early this
morning and everything went ok for me.. the midshift person didn't show or call. I suppose
he quit after he found out what happened to me.. I found out from the manager the thief
made away with $1xx.00 .. he didn't think to look under the till where I always stash the extra
money.. (I don't like having a till full of money to tempt customers (or should I say thugs)
to come back later and rob me).. I notice everytime the other employees who relieve me
for lunch always leave the drawer running over with money.. plus he didn't notice the
money I had placed on the counter behind the cigarettes which I had forgot to throw in the
safe, before I went out to lock up the machines.. he must have been as nervous as I was
because he should have saw the edge of the money, only two thirds of it was hidden..
...stay safe and thanks for replying.

Thanks Wyldecard, this was the post I was waiting for, I will refer back to it several times.
I told my ex-husband about what happened today and he wasn't to happy about it.
He offered to teach me how to shoot when I get the gun. He said after I go to the police
department and school for classes. I like your advice when you said, "For me, these are worth
the extra money (after all I'm betting my life on them and I'm pricey)." I really don't know
anything about the guns you mentioned but I can look them up on the net and research
their history, I do want to practice with different ones before I make a purchase.. I only
plan on buying one so I should buy the one I feel most comfortable with and is reliable...
I am still pretty turned upside down by what has happened, and I need to go to apply for a gun
permit this week because I am on vacation from work.. which I feel like would be a positive
thing if I take this first step I will feel better I believe...Wish me luck
Thanks for replying to my post.

Beretta, Smith & Wesson, and Colt are actual manufacturers. Springfield Armory is an importer now. The specific Springfield Armory weapon I was speaking of is an XDm Compact 3.8 chambered for 9mm. Imported from Croatia. You can view it here:Link Removed
The Beretta 92FS I own is a full size weapon also chambered for 9mm. You can view it here:Deprecated Browser Error
The Smith and Wesson M&P chambered for .40 S&W I bought yesterday is also a full size weapon and can be viewed here:Link Removed
The S&W and S.A. are adaptable to different hands and the parts to do so are included. The Beretta really isn't considered adaptable, although different types of grips are sold by Beretta. Remember these are pistols that fit me and my requirements. You have to find the one that works for you. Glock and Ruger are also manufacturers you should certainly consider as well as others.

I'm glad you're finding a way to transform a bad event into a good change in your life. Keep up your positive attitude!

Thanks Wyldekard, I will check out the websites you suggest. I am on vacation this week,
and I sure do need the down time. I already know I don't want a gun which is to heavy,
because my hands aren't big and my wrists are small. But I will check out everything you
said and I don't plan on jumping into purchasing a gun until I am 100% sure. For the simple
reason I only want to buy one and not several. My sister whom lives in Tennessee had
bought this huge gun safe for her husband. I know she must have spent over two grand
for it because she still didn't have it paid for when they recently separated. I never did see
how many guns he owns, she said he has the concealed carry permit, he probably needs
it since he is on the volunteer fire department. Plus they live out in the sticks.
If I lived there I would have to carry a gun on me 24/7. You never know when you might
encounter a bear or snake. Ok I am going to the websites now to check out the ones
you mentioned. Thanks for replying

Superprincess. Let me give you some advise, in addition to that which you have already received. First; Be grateful that you are unharmed. There are more cases of the cops showing up "just in the time" on TV, than in real life.
Second; Be aware that the decision to be responsible for your own defense is a big commitment. There is a not inconsiderable cost, in both time and money. Shoot as much as you can. The state minimum training requirements will give you just about enough information to avoid shooting yourself. Get additional training as often as you can. If there are any Cowboy Action Shooting Society clubs in your area, check them out. They have a lot of fun and you learn safe gun handling at the same time.
Third; Don't let anyone pick your gun for you. You need to pick a gun that will work for you.
Think about the following.
Your gun must be, above all, reliable.
Your gun must fit your hand.
Your gun should be in the largest caliber that you can shoot comfortably and accurately. I usually Carry a pair of Colt .45's. I am 6' 300 lbs. My wife is 5' and 120lbs. She carries a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40 S&W. Part of what kind of gun you need is what you need it to do. If it's going to stay at home, in a drawer, it can be as large as you want it to be. If you're going to carry it around, you'll want it smaller. I taught my sisters how to shoot with a Colt .45ACP when they were 14 years old. I told you that to tell you this. You can't beat physics. all other things being equal, a heavier gun soaks up recoil better than a lighter one, any pistol up to 10mm are manageable in recoil. whether you want to carry that much weight around will be the limiting factor in what you decide to carry.
Handguns in the same caliber will kick differently, depending on the operating system used, the shape of the grip, and other factors.
If you decide on a semi auto Ruger, S&W, Colt, and many others are available both new and used. The Smith & Wesson Sigma is a great starting point. It is easily found for around $300, holds 16 rounds, and easy to shoot. Many people say that the Sigma's have a heavy trigger and they are right. But it is a safety for inexperienced shooters. By the time you are ready for a better trigger, you will know how childishly easy it is to lighten the trigger.
If you prefer revolvers, Ruger, Colt, S&W, and Taurus/Rossi are all good.
There are thousands of guns out there. Some choices that are available are police trade in pistols. these guns, generally, have been carried a lot, but not shot much. The most common calibers are .38/.357 Magnum, 9mm, and .40 S&W. 9mm is most commonly seen in semi-auto's. .38/.357 in revolvers. .38 Special and 9mm's are both relatively cheap to shoot (lots of practice) .357 Magnums also shoot the milder .38 Special, so you can practice with the mild .38's and save the hot stuff for serious social work. The same thing is true for the .327 Mag/.32 Mag/.32 S&W. And then there is the .22 long rifle, the undisputed king of shooting trainers. The .22lr has so little recoil and noise that nearly everyone can shoot them well. They are ideal for learning the basics of sight picture and trigger control. Pistols and rifles are made for it, some pistols are chambered for .22lr and .22 Magnum.

There is much more, but this is enough to get you started. There is a forum "Women and Guns" on the main page. there is good information there and there are good videos on carrying guns and shooting on Youtube.
You will find that there are many people here who will be glad to help you. Myself included. Good luck and congratulations on taking a step towards independence.

You are very good at explaining this website.. I might try to press the advanced button tomorrow..
Hmmm....maybe. I do not know much. I've just been to a few gun forums and they seemed to be the same but not. I do not go to other forums anymore as I already have too much on my plate right now, but I do have my email on my third monitor because I need to.
superprincess said:
This is going to be a better week since my vacation starts tomorrow.. I want to do my research on the guns and permits this week before I have to go back to work.. It's best to be prepared. ............here in raleigh, I hear a siren everyday, and at this very moment good thing I don't live really close to the highway.. that would be annoying...stay safe and thanks for replying.
So you are from Raleigh...out of 19 members in NC, we have one member in our flying club who lives in Old Milburnie Rd. I've only been the Charlotte and Lumberton.

Superprincess, I was looking a some of the books I have and I found one that I would like to highly recommend you add to your library. I have the first edition, which has a slightly different name. The title of the second edition is: Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals. The author is Michael Martin. I think you will find it informative. Amazon let you preview some parts. Look here: Link Removed#_

I suggest you buy this at your local book store, if possible, and use it as your starting reference for your transition to carrying a weapon. It will answer a lot of questions you have and point out things that probably haven't occurred to you yet.

I hope you are doing well and are enjoying a good vacation!

Superprincess, I was looking a some of the books I have and I found one that I would like to highly recommend you add to your library. I have the first edition, which has a slightly different name. The title of the second edition is: Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals. The author is Michael Martin. I think you will find it informative. Amazon let you preview some parts. Look here: Link Removed#_

I suggest you buy this at your local book store, if possible, and use it as your starting reference for your transition to carrying a weapon. It will answer a lot of questions you have and point out things that probably haven't occurred to you yet.

I hope you are doing well and are enjoying a good vacation!

That's a great suggestion superprincess. Though everyone here certainly means well enough, if you ask 10 people about what the best type of concealed carry weapon is, revolver or semi-auto, and why, you'll get 10 different opinions. What kind of holster or concealed carry system is best? Same thing, everyone, especially those with a lot of time carrying, have their own preferences that they developed themselves over years of trial and error. While those years of experience can be helpful, they can also be quite confusing to the beginner. Picking up reference material like what Wyldekard suggested will give you the opinions of one person who ostensibly put that book together to help the widest range of beginners (and maybe intermediate) carriers and shooters as possible.

Not trying to run you off (;-), just trying to suggest a way to stay as focused on good progress as you can, as it seems time is of (understandable) great importance to you. Just a thought.

Blues

Thanks, this happened last night so I am still shook up about it.
I wish I could move away from here, because he knows where
I work at and maybe he will try to do it again. I joined this site
not to long ago and now look what has happened to me. I
wonder if I never joined this site if maybe I wouldn't have
been victimized. You know what they say" a butterfly
flapping its wings can cause a tsunami"

Go this afternoon and get yourself some pepper spray, familurize yourself with its operation, and carry it 24/7 WHENEVER you are outside your home, this will do untill you can get a gun and permit

Beretta, Smith & Wesson, and Colt are actual manufacturers. Springfield Armory is an importer now. The specific Springfield Armory weapon I was speaking of is an XDm Compact 3.8 chambered for 9mm. Imported from Croatia. You can view it here:Link Removed
The Beretta 92FS I own is a full size weapon also chambered for 9mm. You can view it here:Deprecated Browser Error
The Smith and Wesson M&P chambered for .40 S&W I bought yesterday is also a full size weapon and can be viewed here:Link Removed
The S&W and S.A. are adaptable to different hands and the parts to do so are included. The Beretta really isn't considered adaptable, although different types of grips are sold by Beretta. Remember these are pistols that fit me and my requirements. You have to find the one that works for you. Glock and Ruger are also manufacturers you should certainly consider as well as others.

I'm glad you're finding a way to transform a bad event into a good change in your life. Keep up your positive attitude!

I checked out these guns and the websites, the first one you mentioned XDm Compact 3.8 looks like it may have been the one
the thief had. I only got to look at it a couple of times and it wasn't for long. I suppose he had considered shooting me because
he adjusted the gun and it made a click sound and then another click sound. Does the SA produce those sounds? I am going to
practice with different guns before I decide. Just looking at these pictures isn't helping much I need to feel it's weight. I even saw a Hello Kitty gun online today.. no kidding. I thought it was a toy at first. Thanks for replying

Fudo, thanks so much for the valuable info, i will be taking your advice. I saw the Smith and Wesson Sigma
when I was online today checking the guns Wyldekard mentioned. I thought it was one I wanted to try when
I saw the picture. So what I got from you was the heavier the gun the easier it is to use. Is this right or did
I misunderstand? You mentioned the police trade in pistols, would I need to inquire at the police department
or are those at the gun shops? I have training videos on youtube to check, now also the women and guns
forum. Thanks for your help and reply.

That's a great suggestion superprincess. Though everyone here certainly means well enough, if you ask 10 people about what the best type of concealed carry weapon is, revolver or semi-auto, and why, you'll get 10 different opinions. What kind of holster or concealed carry system is best? Same thing, everyone, especially those with a lot of time carrying, have their own preferences that they developed themselves over years of trial and error. While those years of experience can be helpful, they can also be quite confusing to the beginner. Picking up reference material like what Wyldekard suggested will give you the opinions of one person who ostensibly put that book together to help the widest range of beginners (and maybe intermediate) carriers and shooters as possible.

Not trying to run you off (;-), just trying to suggest a way to stay as focused on good progress as you can, as it seems time is of (understandable) great importance to you. Just a thought.

Blues

Blues, thanks for the advice, I am going to stop by the library tomorrow to see if they have
the book Wyldkard mentioned. Maybe they will have something else by another author
so I can have a couple of opinions. The calendar shows there is a concealed carry class
this month on the 23rd. Do you think I should try to make that particular class?
Yes, I would like to have a gun soon. But it isn't going to make much difference, if I ask
the manager and he says it is against company policy. Thanks for your help and reply.

I checked out these guns and the websites, the first one you mentioned XDm Compact 3.8 looks like it may have been the one
the thief had. I only got to look at it a couple of times and it wasn't for long. I suppose he had considered shooting me because
he adjusted the gun and it made a click sound and then another click sound. Does the SA produce those sounds? I am going to
practice with different guns before I decide. Just looking at these pictures isn't helping much I need to feel it's weight. I even saw a Hello Kitty gun online today.. no kidding. I thought it was a toy at first. Thanks for replying

The XDm has two ways to release the safety to fire. One is in the grip and if the weapon is grasped properly, it is moved off safe. The second is in the trigger and is moved off safe as the trigger is pulled. Neither one makes a sound of any kind. The weapon makes no noise until it goes bang if a round has already been chambered. Chambering a round is a different sound than a click and would only be made once if the weapon is functioning properly.

I'm sorry I didn't intend to imply you should select a weapon by pictures alone. I simply wanted you to see the differences between the weapons I own. They are three different sizes and three different weights. You must hold the weapons on your list of choices in your hands at a minimum. The optimum is to actually fire your weapon choices. That is the only way to know which weapon and what caliber is best for you. Design makes a big difference in the recoil you feel. The Smith & Wesson I just bought is a .40 caliber which in theory should "kick" more than my 9mm, but due to the design of the weapon the difference isn't that noticeable to me. Due to problems I have with my hands and wrists I have avoided larger caliber than 9mm since the injuries. The way the Smith & Wesson M&P model transmits felt recoil to the shooter is one of the reasons I bought it.

I haven't heard of a Hello Kitty before. I'll have to look that up. Let us know how your search progresses.

Blues

Thank you BluesStringer. When I started to type that message I intended to say why to buy the book, but somewhere between my brain and my fingers that part must have took a left turn!

You know I've wondered if there isn't a business opportunity regarding renting holsters for people to try before they buy. I'm sure it wouldn't sit well with the manufacturers because sales would drop (no drawers full of ones that didn't work out:laugh:). Plus, the startup costs would be massive if you tried to buy at least one of every type and manufacture of holster.

i seen those hello kitty guns on line too. they do look like toys and i don't like that to well as kids could think they are toys ..........to me i don't like guns that look like toys and i don't like toys that look like guns either ..perhaps because my parents didn't let us play with toy guns as children and i never realized why until i grew up

Fudo, thanks so much for the valuable info, i will be taking your advice. I saw the Smith and Wesson Sigma
when I was online today checking the guns Wyldekard mentioned. I thought it was one I wanted to try when
I saw the picture. So what I got from you was the heavier the gun the easier it is to use. Is this right or did
I misunderstand? You mentioned the police trade in pistols, would I need to inquire at the police department
or are those at the gun shops? I have training videos on youtube to check, now also the women and guns
forum. Thanks for your help and reply.

Greetings. The more weight a gun has, the less it will recoil, 100%, but there are other factors, such as the shape of the grip and how far the bore of the gun is from its axis. None of this is important for you now. Light guns are much easier to CARRY, but HARDER to shoot well.
You can find police trade in's at I-NET stores like J&G, BUD'S, ARMSLIST, GUNS AMERICA, GUNBROKER. Google away. Police agency's turn their old guns in for new ones to the dealer. They will not deal directly with the public.:frown:

Last edited:
Blues, thanks for the advice, I am going to stop by the library tomorrow to see if they have
the book Wyldkard mentioned. Maybe they will have something else by another author
so I can have a couple of opinions. The calendar shows there is a concealed carry class
this month on the 23rd. Do you think I should try to make that particular class?
Yes, I would like to have a gun soon. But it isn't going to make much difference, if I ask
the manager and he says it is against company policy.
Thanks for your help and reply.

If it comes right down to it, you can get another job, you can't get another life.

Try these books, there is a lot of good information there.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

The XDm has two ways to release the safety to fire. One is in the grip and if the weapon is grasped properly, it is moved off safe. The second is in the trigger and is moved off safe as the trigger is pulled. Neither one makes a sound of any kind. The weapon makes no noise until it goes bang if a round has already been chambered. Chambering a round is a different sound than a click and would only be made once if the weapon is functioning properly.

I'm sorry I didn't intend to imply you should select a weapon by pictures alone. I simply wanted you to see the differences between the weapons I own. They are three different sizes and three different weights. You must hold the weapons on your list of choices in your hands at a minimum. The optimum is to actually fire your weapon choices. That is the only way to know which weapon and what caliber is best for you. Design makes a big difference in the recoil you feel. The Smith & Wesson I just bought is a .40 caliber which in theory should "kick" more than my 9mm, but due to the design of the weapon the difference isn't that noticeable to me. Due to problems I have with my hands and wrists I have avoided larger caliber than 9mm since the injuries. The way the Smith & Wesson M&P model transmits felt recoil to the shooter is one of the reasons I bought it.

I haven't heard of a Hello Kitty before. I'll have to look that up. Let us know how your search progresses.

Went by the library, guess what the book wasn't there, they suggested ordering it from the inter-library. If I was smart I would have
called first instead of making the trip up there. I have been reading "Essential Guide To Handguns: Firearm Instruction For Personal Defense" on the Google Books site today. This one paragraph is saying the exact same thing I said to my friend at work. It is in the
paragraph titled "Escalation to Visciousness" , if you would like to read it. Sorry I couldn't copy and paste it because of copyright rules.
She said, " He will come back maybe within a week." At least I am not there this week. I checked Youtube last night for videos on how
to shoot a gun. I even saw this one on how not to shoot a gun. Want to warn you it is funny.

i seen those hello kitty guns on line too. they do look like toys and i don't like that to well as kids could think they are toys ..........to me i don't like guns that look like toys and i don't like toys that look like guns either ..perhaps because my parents didn't let us play with toy guns as children and i never realized why until i grew up

i totally agree with you eagleeyes.. i never played with guns when i was small.. maybe the manufacturers are targeting teenage
girls.. the one time i had to serve on jury duty was a murder case and the young man whom was killed had a toy gun in his
possession.. this was the typical story a drug deal gone bad.. they were in a car, in a parking lot, behind an apartment complex, beside
the dumpsters and he was in the front passenger seat.. the bad guy was in the back seat and pulled a gun on him during the drug
deal.. i suppose he thought he could bluff himself out of it with the toy gun.. which was his biggest mistake.. we the jury found the bad
guy (yea they were all black if you are wondering) guilty and he was given a life sentence.. he should have received the death
penalty in my opinion because there was no doubt he killed the guy.. we the taxpayers have to now support him.. lucky us.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back