what do I do?

Hmmm...I may have to concede the point, here. I suppose if your hand is ON your gun, in your jacket pocket, then he attacks, you pull the trigger. Might work. I have only considered how I train and carry: strong side OW, slide holster @ 5 o'clock in which, of course, I would have to sweep back my jacket, draw, and shoot. Rather one-dimensional of me.

The very same thing happened to me. At about 20 feet I put my hand on my weapon but kept it concealed. I walked into the street around a parked car and the bad guy followed. I spoke in my command voice, "You picked the wrong one buddy, I'm packing". The bad guy said,"Oh s***!". and ran away. :angry:

The very same thing happened to me. At about 20 feet I put my hand on my weapon but kept it concealed. I walked into the street around a parked car and the bad guy followed. I spoke in my command voice, "You picked the wrong one buddy, I'm packing". The bad guy said,"Oh s***!". and ran away. :angry:

I like it. Short, sweet, gets the job done.

Just to argue the point a little: If he's close enough for you to talk in a friendly manner, and then he attacks, you're already way behind the 8-ball, IMO.

I appreciate everyone's input to this VALID "what-if" scenario. No need for attitudes. I would most definitely be on "high alert" in this scenario, especially in an iffy neighborhood. Not paranoid, just smart.

Right now, I see a lot of answers getting shot down. There is no correct answer One's life experience and training will lead to an answer. It may be wrong. It may lead to copious legal bills, hospital bills, or funeral bills for you or the aggressor(s).

In any case, if someone is attacked there will be consequences. If it is you and you are injured and/or die the consequences will be suffered by your heirs and assigns. If the aggressor dies or is injured and comes up with a 'good' story, then by you and your heirs and assigns whether you did anything wrong or not. Given each individual situation you must act as your experience and training tell you is the most survivable answer under the circumstances as you see them right then. Be willing to take those consequences or quit carrying.

The situation as set up is a "no win" in many jurisdictions if you act you will be crucified by the press and/or legal system if you don't act and the approaching group intends you harm you are toast. If you are in a more civilized jurisdiction and act in a reasonable manner you will be fine. This is a larger form of situational awareness. If you live in an area that is 'going to the dogs' one reason may be that criminals are coddled and good citizens are treated as easy targets by the DA. Work on that through the political system and get a better DA.

Avoiding my getting injured or killed is dear to my heart. I live in a small town and only rarely go to the "big city". I have a good relationship with law enforcement in both places. I don't try and capitalize on the relationships and so keep them in good standing. I also have an attorney's phone number in my pocket, not a criminal lawyer.

I'm not trying to be a smart-alack but see no way to analyze the posited situation without more information.

Is it this simple? >>>> 1) always trust your gut instincts. ( Do not over analyze)
2) use the common sense that got you this far. ( no matter what the people that know you say about your actual possession of such)
3) Don't over analyze. (see # 1)
4) as long as no one will be physically harmed, avoid any confrontation of any type if you are carrying. (If you are not carrying and you want to roll around on the ground with some dirt bag then go for it and take your chances he is not carrying.
:biggrin:

NMHunter,

The posited information said, basically, you're being approached by someone who is setting off your alarm bells. What more info do you want?

I will certainly concede that there will be consequences should an "event" occur. Furthermore, I agree that no one "wins" in the long term (although I personally do count 'staying alive' as a win; but I'll concede the overall point). But these are 'after the fact' considerations (which admittedly should factor into how you handle the situation). Right now, you need to choose to do something or nothing.

Correct?

1st off get rid of the mutt! You can catch it later.

Second Flash was correct MOVE!
Changing direction wil help you discern someones intentions. If the guy continues on his path and does not follow, No harm; no foul.

But; if the guy changes course to follow or intercept your path. Then follow your training.

Me?
I tell the guy to STOP!
Ask him what he wants? (While readying for a potential confrontation.)

What he does next determines what I do next. (I see NO problem with letting a potential BG know I have a weapon and WILL FIGHT!!!)

BTW;
I grew up on the meanest streets in Memphis and you best let people know you will NOT be victimized easily.

Hold up your hand like a traffic officer stopping traffic and in your most assertive voice yell ..

:shout: :stop:
STOP
I'm coming from the doctor who said I'm contagious and don't want to throw up on you. :cray:

:biggrin:

You know that you can't only have the badge. You need the sash, jacket and T-shirt to go along with the badge!!:laugh:

You forgot the Tactical Ted Vest and the Tactical Ted Pants (with the cuffs bloused around your jump boot tops).:fie::laugh::sarcastic:

Seriously, keep your distance and put an obstacle (parked car, lamp post, telephone pole, garbage can) between you if there's one handy. I also agree with the suggestion of speaking first. Initiating contact gives you the advantage of forcing him to react to you rather than the other way around. Make eye contact (just don't get tunnel vision, he may be a diversion, so LOOK AROUND) and be polite when you speak because he may just be lost and need directions to the freeway.

i wouldnt move. and moving out of the way after making eye contact could send the wrong signal. he may sense your afraid. if he has bad intentions he's going to do it regardless of what side of the street your on. i carry open so i dont worry about brandishing anything. but i wouldnt move out of his way because of fear of a confrontation either. just walk by him and say hey. if he has a problem then thats his fault. not yours. remember that its a free country, you work hard for your money and pay taxes. be damned if your going to let someone "own the road", cuz its your road too and most roads are two way.

oh yeah, i have prison tats too! sleeves. :biggrin:

I don't view moving as a sign of weakness but as a tactical maneuver. By moving I'm assessing a threat and I am taking control of the situation. His next move gives me a lot more info than I had a moment ago.

Different strokes.

+1 on not judging a book by its cover. Personally, I have two very large tattoos, not prison tattoos, but they were done by a member of an outlawed motorcycle gang here in Australia. Granted they are not visible under a t-shirt, but soon I will have both arms covered right down to the wrist, as well as my shoulders and chest. I am a pretty friendly guy, with poor navigational skills in the city, and I often find myself asking for directions :)

If it were me (and this has happened often times, obviously I don't carry here though) if I see someone dodgey coming towards me, I engage them first with a slight upward tip of the head, and a quick "Alright mate?".

This works in three scenarios:

1: If they are looking to engage you in an un-friendly manner, it puts them on the back foot, as there is still distance between you and the interaction has already started.

2: If they just want directions they can go ahead and ask, as you have offered help already, and can feel good about helping someone out.

3: If they were just a bit of a space cadet and not really paying attention to where they were going, usually you'll get a brief "Yeah fine mate" back as they go along their way. Or they ignore you completely and keep on truckin'.

Take it or leave it, that's just how I deal with approaching ruffian looking people :)

-AE

Thank you for all the response. A real learning experience. As of yesterday seven murders here in Minneapolis since the new year. Four here on the northside. We have a uber liberal mayor and city council. Only one gun store in the city. The mayor wants him closed down. Cleaning up downtown, and the northside, might offend members of minority communities, so no action is taken. We had a city bus strike a few years ago. Downtown was a nice place to go for a week.

A friend of ours was out for a dog walk one afternoon. Some wise ass let a pitbull out. The pit attacked our friends dog. He put three rounds from his glock 27 into the little monster. The police arrive, and arrest him.
They released him after six hours. Channel five called him "gunman". Had to jump though hoops to get his glock back. The dog owner sued him in small claims for loss of the pit. This was dismissed also.

I am not aware of any defensive gun uses here. I know they must happen. Is their a clearing house online that collects and displays these incidents?

It is clear to me, if you display a firearm in this city, you are going to be hassled by the police.

I was thinking of getting pepper spray, and or a steel baton in addition to my revolver. Will this invoke the "continuum of force"?

The idea of a doberman I like, but the spouse is not to crazy about.

Hey Guys: Just read some of these posts. Some of the comments include your alarm lights are going off, and carry a tactical flashlight and maybe a knife. If this is where y'all are coming from, I would humbly suggest that the iceman stay in his house at night and only venture out in crowded areas during daylight. My point, now that I have been a bit sarcastic (and deserve rebuke), is that you cannot spend your life fixated on this "horrible what if". As some have said, the guy could be looking for the library--he could even be an undercover LEO just doing his job. Unless you are really "living in hell" the chances are that this guy is nothing more and nothing less than you are and HE actually may be the one to cross the street to avoid you--the perp--as you reach into your pocket and make it obvious that you have a firearm. Just sayin. Lay it on boys.

Hey Guys: Just read some of these posts. Some of the comments include your alarm lights are going off, and carry a tactical flashlight and maybe a knife. If this is where y'all are coming from, I would humbly suggest that the iceman stay in his house at night and only venture out in crowded areas during daylight. My point, now that I have been a bit sarcastic (and deserve rebuke), is that you cannot spend your life fixated on this "horrible what if". As some have said, the guy could be looking for the library--he could even be an undercover LEO just doing his job. Unless you are really "living in hell" the chances are that this guy is nothing more and nothing less than you are and HE actually may be the one to cross the street to avoid you--the perp--as you reach into your pocket and make it obvious that you have a firearm. Just sayin. Lay it on boys.

Go out at night? In the hood? Are you nuts? I walk the little mutt in the morning. Our home is secure. The morons are usually sleeping. Except for an occasional druggie. Not fixtated on horrible what if here. Just looking for ideas and suggestions.

.... Some of the comments include your alarm lights are going off ... you cannot spend your life fixated on this "horrible what if"....
The entire thread is based on a "what-if". ~Here is the scenario, here are some details, what would you do?~ Some people use the phrase "alarm lights (or bells) going off, red flag" etc. to describe the sense that something might not be quite right. That's called situational awareness, a term we are all familiar with. And look at some of the suggestions... cross the street or initiate conversation from afar, hoping to elicit a reaction from the other party, to get a better read of his intentions, if any. What's wrong with that?

Not really important but just a comment on the "look" of this guy. As presented, he looks like a thug: hoodie, tats, etc. Some have suggested that we shouldn't judge the guy because, well, they have tats, also, and they're really good guys, and gee, maybe this guy just wants directions to the library.

Well, I DO make initial judgements about a person from the "image" they are projecting. And then, I react (or not) accordingly.

Here's the kicker, before you unload on me: I rode in an outlaw MC for years and yep, am tatted up. I'm also very big, and bald, with goatee and earring. Combine all that with "outlaw" colors. You think people weren't assuming the worst? Sure they were. I knew I was committing no crimes, I knew I'm a very friendly guy, but they didn't. And I didn't fault them for their perception. I made the choice, I lived with the consequences.

Bottom line: I didn't expect them to think I was a dang librarian or something.

FWIW.

honestly speaking, i dont think i look all too appealing either. with my sleeves and the ones i have coming up my neck im almost certain that people who dont know me will pass judgement. but i dont care. :no:

Keep my distance, flashlight, cellphone, knife, hand on pistol. All helpful suggestions. Except I am running out of hands. Remember, I have my worthless dog on a leash. Maybe a bag of dog doo.

I disagree with putting hand on pistol. This is going to tip the bad guy off, or turn some wise ass into a bad guy. Now my firearm is the bad guys focus.

Until I see the threat of deadly force my options are limited.

I have a carry permit, and carry often.

I have been thinking. Why do I need this firepower? For a mugger, pepper spray might do the job. What if he has a gun?

What if, what if, what if.

I am still scratching my head.

That bag of dog doo could work in your favor.:sarcastic: Like mace, right in the eyes...

The move your path thing is the best way to get a read on the person. If they remain fixed on you and you get "that feeling" then maybe you should listen to that inner voice.
As you made mention of the dog being worthless... Is he small enough to get off the ground and spinning if you swing the leash over your head?
Use the dog and leash like a sling. OK OK I'm being silly to some extent here. The what if is a good one so don't assume I'm making fun of you. Stay with me.

If it comes down to life and death and you feel like your life is at risk, let go of the leash and grab the gun.
If he breaks off quickly and moves away, it's possible you were marked and made the correct change that thwarted a possible attack. I do the same when walking from a store to my truck when it's dark. I think "OK Keep the right hand open and free just in case". "Keep the bags in the left hand with the keys so that the remote is where I need it". It sounds paranoid, but hey it keeps you thinking and aware of your surroundings.

The answer here is; There is no right and easy answer. Do what works best for you. Over analysis not needed. Listen to the hairs on the back of your neck they have a vested interest in your safety...

Peace...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back