Ordered to ground at gunpoint for open carrying by cleveland heights ohio police

As for the crack about me in Nazi Germany, I'd be likely to pound you if you said that to my face (I say "likely"; take that any way you like). KBV
Awfully sensitive, aren't we? As most of your initial post was irrelevant to the topic, I focused on the most relevant and important part. "Screw your rights, stay alive"???? Do you realize that you just told a group of over 8,000 freedom loving advocates of the Constitution to just piss away what they hold so dear just so the cops won't harass us? That, sir, is the mentality of a soon-to-be oppressed citizenry.

Just call'em like I see'em.

Point taken. This topic makes me a bit irrational; rest assured, I am not going to shoot you. Not today, anyway.

"Mama, don't take these guns from me/ I can't use them any more/
Gettin dark, too dark to see/ feel I'm knockin' on Heaven's door/"
Knockin' on Heaven's Door © sometime, this belongs to Bob Dylan. Please forgive my using withour prior consent. I will give you any money I make from it.

If I haven't shot anyone in almost 40 years, or ever, if you prefer, carrying most of the time, what does that really tell you?

open or concealed should not matter if we give an inch the antis will take a mile every time. seems he was legal the police should leave him alone.

open or concealed should not matter if we give an inch the antis will take a mile every time. seems he was legal the police should leave him alone.

Wow. Concise and to the point; spot on.

Come on, Guncat, you are NEVER going to be a good political candidate like that! :no:

...they were called by one or more citizens that alone is (going in terror to the public) This alone is enough for them to stop you.

Or maybe it's enough to charge the 911 caller with some kind of false reporting. Ever hear how it's illegal to yell "Fire!" in a theater where there is no fire?

This just seems to be a case of entrapment if this was to go to court.

Seems to me to be a case of illegal police harassment. We'll see who is right when the verdict is announced.

To the original poster: freedom fighter777, you've gone to a lot of trouble to file the suit and get us all excited. Don't weasel out with a pretrial settlement for a couple of thousand bucks and no admission by the police that their actions were illegal! Take it to trial and go for maximum results.

In todays society with things the way they are like the incident in Orlando, Fl. You just never know if the person carrying is a peaceful law biding citizen or has other intentions.

If I were a police officer arriving on the scene of a report of a man carrying a gun I would be extremely cautious when approaching. It would depend on the persons demeanor on how things would go from then on.

Remember it may be your right to open carry. But with the right comes responsiblity.

You may be right but don't be DEAD RIGHT.

In todays society with things the way they are like the incident in Orlando, Fl. You just never know if the person carrying is a peaceful law biding citizen or has other intentions.

If I were a police officer arriving on the scene of a report of a man carrying a gun I would be extremely cautious when approaching. It would depend on the persons demeanor on how things would go from then on.

Remember it may be your right to open carry. But with the right comes responsiblity.

You may be right but don't be DEAD RIGHT.

That a police officer would have to be extremely cautious when approaching an armed citizen is EXACTLY the point to me. Kind of even things up: Cop has a gun, citizen has a gun. Works for me.

Viewing this thread in its entirety leads me to two points. The first is "freedom". It doesn't come cheap and it must be constantly fought for, in one way or another, as their are "forces in play" (take your pick: Congress, sheep, liberal Democrats, RINOs, Muslim terrorists, etc.) that are destroying it with each passing year. While the tactics employed by this citizen are not necessarily those which I might have employed, he was certainly advancing the cause of "freedom".

Which leads me to my second point: we must stay UNITED in our fight for our 2A rights. All methods which we might use are valid, IMHO, as long as they are legal, for now, anyway (there may come a time when we must decide how strongly we are going to stand up, legal or otherwise; ready for THAT?). So, open carry, concealed carry...who cares? The right to defend ourselves and our families, and to throw off a tyrannical government is a Constitutionally protected right; we must support all of our brothers/sisters regardless of the method they choose to carry their weapon. This guy chose to open carry in a state where it was legal to do so and got mightily harassed, in my opinion. He's got my support.

OK, a third point: STOP the fricking name-calling and other such crap. It does not advance the cause and makes us look like idiots. If you disagree, then say so, and leave it at that. I tend to think the internet leads some folks to be more courageous than they might be in person. It's too easy to show a lack of respect in these forums because there are no repercussions. For sure, if someone addressed me in person like they sometimes do on these forums, fists would be flying. So, let's knock it off.

My .02 cents; flame away.

I think he did the correct thing once he saw the patrol car. If it got out of hand he had the proof on his cell phone. If we had OC here in SC I would OC a lot. I'm a firm believer that if you don't exercise your rights you will lose them. If it's legal then LE should have civilized procedures in place to handle OC situations.

I used to OC when I lived in AZ and didn't realize what a right I had. When I moved to NH I couldn't find a place nearby that was convenient to shoot and ended up selling my handgun.

Now that I'm here in SC I'm waiting 90 days to get a CWP and wishing for the days of OC just because I felt like it. I'm getting my CWP precisely for the reason, a right not exercised is a right that may be lost.

One of the problems is that LEO's don't see enough people OCing, therefore when somebody does it's a huge shocker and they get their panties tied up in a bunch. Everyone is right, exercise the rights or lose them to confusion.

I think it's pretty lame and I am confident the only reason you produced this video was to get your desired result. Be thankful the officer handled it the way he did.

I think it's pretty lame and I am confident the only reason you produced this video was to get your desired result. Be thankful the officer handled it the way he did.

If the cops would have known the law like us regular people are supposed to know the law he never would have been stopped. Be thankful the officer illegally detained him?:sarcastic:

lol wrong crowd buddy...

No doubt...:pleasantry:

Reminds me of the time that a pickup load of yahoos went screaming past our campground yelling obscenities out the windows! It was our annual weekend get-together of the International Black Belt Federation. We were rolling on the ground laughing, thinking of the surprise they would have had if they had stopped to make trouble. Great fun!

No doubt...:pleasantry:

Reminds me of the time that a pickup load of yahoos went screaming past our campground yelling obscenities out the windows! It was our annual weekend get-together of the International Black Belt Federation. We were rolling on the ground laughing, thinking of the surprise they would have had if they had stopped to make trouble. Great fun!

lmfao

I will say up front that I am not a fan of open carry, simply because I think it makes more sense that you keep your weapon concealed and make it a big surprise to the bad guy. I was a cop for 23 years until I left my PD in May, and only carried openly when in uniform or wearing clothing that identified my dept for training or such. I helped write policy that required our plainclothes officers to conceal their weapons when in public. That said, I agree that open carry is legal and permissible, and if you choose to do so fine. One problem I have is that when I carry in duty gear, my hand sometimes rests on my pistol grip, not out of fear, simply as a convenient resting place. I tried not to do it when just talking to folks, to avoid the threatening appearance, but it happened. What if you are open carrying, and your hand brushes or rests on the pistol grip? What if it does so during a contact with another person who is carrying, or an officer? Not saying this is a reason for not open carrying, just raising a question.

I will say up front that I am not a fan of open carry, simply because I think it makes more sense that you keep your weapon concealed and make it a big surprise to the bad guy. I was a cop for 23 years until I left my PD in May, and only carried openly when in uniform or wearing clothing that identified my dept for training or such. I helped write policy that required our plainclothes officers to conceal their weapons when in public. That said, I agree that open carry is legal and permissible, and if you choose to do so fine. One problem I have is that when I carry in duty gear, my hand sometimes rests on my pistol grip, not out of fear, simply as a convenient resting place. I tried not to do it when just talking to folks, to avoid the threatening appearance, but it happened. What if you are open carrying, and your hand brushes or rests on the pistol grip? What if it does so during a contact with another person who is carrying, or an officer? Not saying this is a reason for not open carrying, just raising a question.

All part of training and conditioning. Weather I'm carrying or not carrying (OC or CC), my hands rest to my sides. Iif it's in colder weather and I don't have golves, then in my jacket pockets. I have at times found myself with my thumbs in my side pockets, but NEVER noticed my hand touching the grip of my pistol without reason. I've trained myself to keep my right hand empty as much as possible. This keeps my hand free to draw my firearm if needed or in places where I'm unable to carry a firearm (as in PRHI), another defensive tool (like a folding knife).

Like anything, training and conditioning are important when dealing with firearms.

gf

Last edited:
Any carry is great. Open or concealed, who cares. If your a good guy, I don't have to worry about you and the bad guys will concealed carry illegally anyway. The cops were a joke in the vid. Sorry LEOs on board. I have no time for ignorant, ill informed law-enforcement personnel. The Constitution is as plain as it can be whether you read it with an eye to the original context and language or in today's language. The part that says, and I quote, "Shall not be infringed" Means the same to day as it did then.

I've been open carrying for some time now and have adopted some new habits too. I carry either a government 1911 cocked and locked or a Combat Commander in condition one. I am aware of my personal space. Of peoples eye contact. Proximity. Of my body position. Keeping my right hand free. I'm sure there are lots of other things I probably do differently than an un-armed person. I make an effort to not put myself in a situation where I feel uncomfortable. My preference obviously, is to avoid or deflect rather than enter into a conflict of any kind.

I carry because I can. I carry because the Constitution says I can. Because it is my right as a living being to be able to protect myself and my loved ones. Period. This is not a mystery. Even the animals understand the right to self defense. Why can't a liberal/Communist/fascist? That was a rhetorical question.

Don't get me wrong i open carry quite fequently and ccw as well but I live in montana I dont need a permit to cc out side of city limits and can carry open in city limit wth a few restictons, but it is the gun oweners responiilty to know all laws that pertain to him. Actully he was breaking a law, municipal code code yes it mabe legal in the sate but the state give's citys the right to make thier own laws as well.
Cleveland Heights, Ohio municipal code 551.12 PROHIBITIONS AGAINST CARRYING A FIREARM SECTION B)No person, unless exempted by any of the provisions of this chapter, shall transport in any vehicle, or carry on or about his person upon the streets and public places of the City, any handgun or other firearm, unless such handgun or other firearm is at all times unloaded and encased.

As a LEO myself the officers might have handled it bad but I think alot lot of the issue comes back to his ID# number want in the system with could mean either fake or a computer error ,and if that's fake what else is, but I dont like the way he taunting the officer best thing is to shut up and ask for the shift supervisorif he had a issue looks like he was out just for that to cause trouble with the LEO.

moral of the story know all laws that pertain to you fed.,state, county, town/city laws or one's you plan on driving though or visting with your gun its your responsibility.

Actully he was breaking a law, municipal code code yes it mabe legal in the sate but the state give's citys the right to make thier own laws as well.
Cleveland Heights, Ohio municipal code 551.12 PROHIBITIONS AGAINST CARRYING A FIREARM SECTION B)No person, unless exempted by any of the provisions of this chapter, shall transport in any vehicle, or carry on or about his person upon the streets and public places of the City, any handgun or other firearm, unless such handgun or other firearm is at all times unloaded and encased.

moral of the story know all laws that pertain to you fed.,state, county, town/city laws or one's you plan on driving though or visting with your gun its your responsibility.

I agree with knowing the laws, but don't State gun laws preempt local laws in Ohio (HB-12 back in 2003)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back