Do you still conceal carry into posted "No Carry" businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question -

If a baker who doesn't want to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding because that person doesn't believe in homosexual marriage and therefore doesn't want to profit off of one can be forced to bake that cake otherwise the baker is discriminating, what gives any business owner the "right" to tell someone who has gone through every legal process in their state to obtain a CCW permit that they cannot do so in their place of business? Wouldn't that business owner be discriminating against the legal gun carrier excercizing their 2nd amendment right?

Learn what the Constitution is about and what it is not. Under current anti-discrimination law, an individual or business is allowed to discriminate against a person carrying a firearm, but not against a person being homosexual. Persons being homosexual are members of a protected class, persons carrying a firearm are not. The 2nd Amendment bars the government from infringing upon your right to keep and bear arms.

Question -

If a baker who doesn't want to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding because that person doesn't believe in homosexual marriage and therefore doesn't want to profit off of one can be forced to bake that cake otherwise the baker is discriminating, what gives any business owner the "right" to tell someone who has gone through every legal process in their state to obtain a CCW permit that they cannot do so in their place of business? Wouldn't that business owner be discriminating against the legal gun carrier excercizing their 2nd amendment right?
Just as gun control laws are infringements upon the right to bear arms so are laws that require property owners to let in people he doesn't want, regardless of what the reason may be, are infringements upon the private property right to control who is, and who isn't, allowed on/in the property.

An infringement upon a right, any right, is still an infringement even when a folks agree that infringement is "common sense gun/property control".

By the way, even that CCW permit is an infringement upon the right to bear arms and .. discriminates.. against those who do not have enough money to pay for the fees and costs involved in getting a permit.

Just as gun control laws are infringements upon the right to bear arms so are laws that require property owners to let in people he doesn't want, regardless of what the reason may be, are infringements upon the private property right to control who is, and who isn't, allowed on/in the property.

An infringement upon a right, any right, is still an infringement even when a folks agree that infringement is "common sense gun/property control".

By the way, even that CCW permit is an infringement upon the right to bear arms and .. discriminates.. against those who do not have enough money to pay for the fees and costs involved in getting a permit.
How's your lawsuit against the Civil Rights Act going?

Learn what the Constitution is about and what it is not. Under current anti-discrimination law, an individual or business is allowed to discriminate against a person carrying a firearm, but not against a person being homosexual. Persons being homosexual are members of a protected class, persons carrying a firearm are not. The 2nd Amendment bars the government from infringing upon your right to keep and bear arms.
Sexual orientation is not a protected class.

My employer has 'no cellphones' policy. Signs everywhere saying "no recording equipment allowed on property", "absolutely no phones allowed in warehouse", etc.

Yet, everyone has a phone on them. No one during my tenure has ever been fired over it. Many even Open Carry their smart phone on their hip.

Same thing with box cutters: a "strict" policy prohibiting them, yet lots of folks have one. In fact we cannot do our job without them.

I'm not the only one who carries a gun against policy, either.

Sexual orientation is not a protected class.

Don't argue with me, argue with the Obama administration, several federal courts and SCOTUS.

Link Removed
Supreme Court: LBGTQ is a Protected Class

My employer has 'no cellphones' policy. Signs everywhere saying "no recording equipment allowed on property", "absolutely no phones allowed in warehouse", etc.

Yet, everyone has a phone on them. No one during my tenure has ever been fired over it. Many even Open Carry their smart phone on their hip.

Same thing with box cutters: a "strict" policy prohibiting them, yet lots of folks have one. In fact we cannot do our job without them.

I'm not the only one who carries a gun against policy, either.

Who cares.

Who cares.
No one.

No one cares, not even the owner. These signs are posted for the sake of liability, nothing more. All they mean is that if something happens involving that item then it's on you, not the owner.

I accept that liability.

Seems to be more circumstantial evidence that the "training" provided in government-mandated concealed carry permission slip classes is hardly adequate to keep gun owners/carriers from shooting themselves in the foot, as it were. And yet, some gun owners/carriers see such classes as providing safety and security for wider society. Cognitive dissonance abounds.
Yeah, but we both know that's nothing new.

Nobody cares.
Yes they do.

Fact is you can just mail a firearm. No amount of pouting from you is ever going to change that.
Fact is you can just shoot somebody on the street too. Doesn't make it legal. And trying to claim the "mail" means someone other than the US Postal Service is a pretty lame dodge. You've contributed quite nicely at times in the past, but now you're just yanking people's chains. I for one would like to see some of that constructive participation again. You're quite effective when you make the effort, but you don't seem to want to go to that effort much anymore.

First rule to winning a gun fight is to not be there when the gun fight starts so why would anyone intentionally go where they are most likely to need their gun? Are you required by law to go there or do you disrespect private property rights of other folks because going somewhere else is just inconvenient for you?
There are unfortunately times when the anti-gun establishments are the only ones available for a particular product or service. But other than that, yeah, take your business elsewhere.

An opinion not directed at any specific individual(s)......

I tend to believe some folks who sanctimoniously brag about disrespecting private property rights by... sneaking.... their guns into private property businesses with no guns rules secretly hope to have the opportunity to heroically whip out their super secret Ninja element of surprise and save the day from an active shooter to the applause and accolades of those now grateful poor unfortunates the dastardly business owner demanded be unarmed.
Oh yeah!!! Book and movie deals. Gorgeous babes gathering at your feet to bask in your stardom. Getting a chance to be one of Taylor Swift's ex-boyfriends. Hanging with the Kardashians. Starting your own clothing and cosmetics lines. Yeah, I think all that was in chapter 3 of my Glock owners manual.

That's a silly "rule". Like saying you win the Superbowl every year because you are not in the NFL and don't play football at all....
False analogy. In one instance you win by scoring points, and in the other you win by avoiding getting shot. One rewards participation and the other rewards avoidance. The only thing silly is that you tried to compare them as if it were 'apples to apples' when they're nothing of the sort.

...Doesn't matter how you want to spin it or what excuses you want to use ... sneaking... your gun in where the property owner says guns are not allowed is still disrespecting the owner's property right to control who has, and who doesn't have, his permission to enter. And if you enter without his permission you are trespassing....
I'm not really sure that anybody's trying to argue that point specifically. I think the main idea is at what point people think their need for self-preservation may overpower their desire to respect the property rights of an anti-gun establishment. Granted, you're right that there are some people that simply don't care. And there are still others who speak that way simply because they're tired of the hassle. But the author of the OP made it pretty clear the question wasn't intended as a matter of totally disrespecting the rights of property owners, but rather as to where people might draw that line and what tips the scales when trying to balance one concern against the other.

Whether the story is truth or fiction it expresses the notion that a concealed carrier who ... sneaks... their gun into private property that denies entry to those who carry guns can whip out their super secret Ninja element of surprise and be the widely acclaimed and famous hero who saves everyone from the bad guy shooter.
Actually not really, because the woman in the story didn't consider herself a hero and wasn't seeking the limelight. But considering that it's fiction it doesn't matter much either way.

You're starting to sound a bit like you think you're the only responsible concealed carrier in America, and everyone else is just an idiot, Rambo wanna-be. I know that's not your intention, and I know it's mostly borne out of frustration with Blueshell, but it could be interpreted that way, especially if it's someone new that doesn't know you that well. Just sayin'.

That she was trespassing is irrelevant. Your property "rights" don't mean a damn thing to me....
I'm curious what moral high ground you think you can take when anti-gunners argue that your "rights" don't mean a damn thing to them either. And don't try to pretend you don't care or it makes no difference to you, because those selfsame people push and pass legislation based on the premise that your "rights" don't mean a damn thing. And those laws do affect you whether you want to admit it or not.

It isn't so much about the penalty of being asked to leave or even being arrested/convicted of trespass as it is the personal lack of integrity and hypocrisy of demanding the right to bear arms be respected while disrespecting the property owner's property right to deny permission to enter for those who bear arms .
THAT'S what I was looking for! Thank you sir!

My life is worth more than my ego. You go ahead and 'man up', and I'll remain armed. No problem.
I hate to say it but I'm in agreement with this statement..
As a generalization maybe, but saying my life is more important than my ego doesn't automatically translate to ignoring the rights of others. I always respect the property rights of others, and I wouldn't consider violating them unless there was no other avenue available to me. I personally would modify that statement to, 'When I'm faced with nowhere else I can go, my life is worth more than my ego.' If I were to treat the rights of others with a casual or dismissive attitude, then I'd have no right to complain when others try to limit or violate my rights. That's the point Bikenut is trying to get across. And I don't really think Blueshell feels that way about rights either. He just likes yanking Bikenut's chain.

The person demanding their rights be respected while disrespecting the rights of others. The property owner; Demanding others respect their property rights while they disrespect other's right to carry in public. That's hypocricy.
Private property isn't public, so they aren't disrespecting your right to carry in public. If private property were public we could all come over to your house and have Stella shouting contests any time of the day or night. But our right to yell loudly in public doesn't trump your private property rights, just as your right to carry publicly doesn't trump the rights of other property owners. That's patently obvious too, which is why I think you're just doing this to irritate Bikenut.

...I'd rather be a hypocrite than dead.
Another reason why I know you're just having fun. If you were really that worried about your safety, you wouldn't be going to places you yourself have already said are more dangerous than others.

Oh, and admitting you're a hypocrite means you know you're violating their rights. That means you know your argument that their rights are invalid, is invalid in itself.

That issue isn't about property rights, and certainly not simply about who gets in or not. It's about forcing people to violate their religious beliefs. 1st amendment.

So people have a right to what they can't afford? You might want to phrase that a little differently.

No one cares, not even the owner. These signs are posted for the sake of liability, nothing more. All they mean is that if something happens involving that item then it's on you, not the owner.
He wasn't talking about your policies at work. He was proving wrong your statement that sexual orientation isn't a protected class, which you apparently just decided to sidestep and ignore. And by the way, the Civil Rights Act said nothing about sexual orientation.

This has been fun. I wonder what dead horses we'll have to beat when I come back in another few weeks.

I'm curious what moral high ground you think you can take when anti-gunners argue that your "rights" don't mean a damn thing to them either.
Anti-gunners don't act in good faith, and so neither will I. Fighting fire with fire, as it were.

And those laws do affect you whether you want to admit it or not.
Law only applies if you get caught.

Concealed means concealed so if you get caught then you weren't concealing properly. Conceal correctly and you can ignore the law with impunity. Case in point, I carried a firearm every day in highschool (scetchy home life, the gun wasn't for use at the school but I had to have it when I arived home. Yes, I did end up needing it and firing once. I made the news. I just lied to the cops and told them it was stored in the home; my mother was the legal, if not actual, owner, so it all checked out). Never got caught, so the law never applied to me.

Bikenut is sure to take the following as bravado, but I'm here to be open and share: I have a long history of ignoring *Federal law*...what is some private property sign in comparison to that? I carried while under age, without a permit, a hand gun banned by the state, into a gun-free zone...EVERY DAY for 4 YEARS.

But I'm supposed to stop when I see a cute little sign on a building window?

I crossed that bridge a loooonnngg time ago.

....and I have carry permits from 3 states. The law is such a joke.

Another reason why I know you're just having fun. If you were really that worried about your safety, you wouldn't be going to places you yourself have9 already said are more dangerous than others.
Link Removed

By your logic all birds must be "playing" since no bird that was worried about it's saftey would perch in a tree lest the branch brake.

--I bet you have a car eventhough they kill far more people than guns.
--I bet you see a doctor eventhough medical mistakes cause more deaths than guns. Same. Exact. Thing.

-snip-

So people have a right to what they can't afford? You might want to phrase that a little differently.

-snip-
People have the right to bear arms regardless of how much money they have or don't have. The government requiring a permit be paid for with administrative fees and the costs of conditions that must be met (training) under threat of being punished for exercising the right to bear arms is an infringement upon that right to bear arms. And the government discriminates against those who cannot afford to pay those fees and costs since the government will punish them for exercising their right to bear arms without first paying for that permit while those who have money to buy the permit won't be punished.

I didn't go completely through the 15+ pages of this thread so if it's been brought up, I apologize but I have a question that maybe y'all can answer... Just curious what the likelihood would be of a business owner pressing trespassing charges on you in the aftermath of you using your concealed gun to take out a guy who was attempting to hold up the place and endangering other patron's lives.

As soon as I figure out what I intend to carry, I plan on carrying in "gun free zones". Well, except for the obvious places like government buildings and such.

I applaud all of you that refuse to do business with gun free businesses and even more so to the ones that have even informed the business that they will take their business elsewhere but for me, there's very limited places to shop around here that don't have signs up which is why I don't have that luxury. Even traveling 40 plus miles away to the next town really isn't an option. Besides, even with the lack of that luxury, I myself could really care less about their no guns policy. The way I see it, if they don't know I have it, they don't have the reason to deny me service.

Hopefully I don't step on any toes but, even if you do take the time to inform the store owner why you won't step foot in there, it's only gonna matter if they care. If I was a store owner that didn't want guns in my establishment and someone told me they weren't gonna shop there because of my sign, I'd say see ya.

Disclaimer, I'm not one of those people, I'm just saying if I were, that would be my attitude to someone not liking my sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anti-gunners don't act in good faith, and so neither will I. Fighting fire with fire, as it were.
Which puts you on the same playing field as them. It cheapens your argument about someone denying your rights. That was my point.

Law only applies if you get caught....
It would be nice if it were that simple. Laws can affect the availability to acquire and to use guns in many more ways than just whether or not yours is concealed. That affects you and makes it applicable to you along with everyone else. And again, that's whether you want to admit it or not.

...But I'm supposed to stop when I see a cute little sign on a building window?
I'm not sure he's really arguing that. I'm certainly not. He's only trying to point out that people have those property rights that allow them to set the conditions for access to their property, and that those rights are just as sacred as our rights under the 2nd amendment. And our exercising of our rights under the 2nd amendment doesn't allow us to nullify the rights of property owners. It's true that some of us may choose not to obey the restrictions some of these property owners have set, but it doesn't mean their right to set those restrictions doesn't exist. I think Bikenut just wants you to acknowledge that fact rather than trying to in some way force you to obey those restrictions. I know that's not what I'm saying. I freely acknowledge those people have the right to control their own property. I respect that right, and try to honor it as often as I can. But when it comes to my safety, and especially the safety of my family members, I may decide to defy those restrictions just as you do when I'm faced with a situation where there is no other avenue open to me. The only way in which you and I differ on this issue is that I defy those restrictions only when I'm forced to, and you apparently just disregard them entirely without any effort to avoidance. So I'm not trying to play 'holier than thou'.

And my apologies to Bikenut if I've misrepresented his argument in any way.

....and I have carry permits from 3 states. The law is such a joke.
You'll get no argument from me on that.

By your logic all birds must be "playing" since no bird that was worried about it's saftey would perch in a tree lest the branch brake.
I never suggested we shouldn't go somewhere because there might be a potential danger, and I never said anything about "playing". The argument isn't about avoiding danger (like the bird), or even disregarding danger. It's about acknowledgement and respect for the rights of others. Nothing I said in any way suggests we avoid all danger. We'd never leave our homes if that were true, so that wasn't the 'logic' of what I was saying at all. You'd never enter a gun free zone either, because, even though it's unlikely, there's always at least some chance that you'd get caught. And that would represent a danger to you, though not the same sort of danger as that of life and limb.

And by the way, birds will indeed avoid the branches of certain trees if you're out there warning them away. They'll choose the relative safety of trees that don't have such warnings, and there are plenty of those around. So that probably wasn't a really good example for you to try to base an argument on.

--I bet you have a car eventhough they kill far more people than guns.
--I bet you see a doctor eventhough medical mistakes cause more deaths than guns. Same. Exact. Thing.
Yes, which has zero to do with what we're discussing. This is another false analogy. Nobody is saying you should avoid having a gun, and I never said you should avoid them either. People try not to drive their cars into lakes, and they will shy away from the doctor who just made headlines about a malpractice lawsuit because he engaged in highly negligent actions when treating someone. Those are warning signs, similar in practice to a no-guns sign. But yet again, nothing I said was about avoiding danger. That's not a bad idea obviously, but it wasn't what I was discussing.

People have the right to bear arms regardless of how much money they have or don't have. The government requiring a permit be paid for with administrative fees and the costs of conditions that must be met (training) under threat of being punished for exercising the right to bear arms is an infringement upon that right to bear arms. And the government discriminates against those who cannot afford to pay those fees and costs since the government will punish them for exercising their right to bear arms without first paying for that permit while those who have money to buy the permit won't be punished.
That's a better explanation. I understood what you meant, but the way it was phrased might not have been plain to others who may read this thread. It isn't the mere requirement for a permit or license that's discriminatory against the poor. It's the effect that the cost it has on them that isn't the same for everyone else. The same principle as laws against so-called "Saturday night specials", because such laws disproportionately affect the poor. There's no way for people to exercise their constitutional rights under such a system, except by incurring a monetary penalty, and that monetary penalty affects the poor more harshly. It isn't an issue of them having a simple right to attain or possess the same things that other people do. This is different because it unduly burdens the poor in their exercising of a constitutional right. That's where the unfair discrimination exists, and I stress "unfair" because not all discrimination is unfair or improper. You discriminate if you choose between chocolate or vanilla ice cream. The government discriminates when they say those adjudicated mentally incompetent can't buy guns. Not all discrimination is unfair, obviously.

I will also note here that I'm limiting this particular issue to the cost of the permit/license itself. I'm deliberately not including the mere requirement for a permit/license in my discussion of what is unfairly discriminatory. That is indeed a point of contention when it comes to infringing on the right to keep and bear arms, and it's obviously a valid point to be argued here because we've done so on numerous occasions. But it's separate from the issue of what unfairly burdens the poor. The mere requirement for a permit or license in order to exercise your constitutional rights is something that affects us all equally.

Didn't take me a few weeks to respond this time. I was 'in the neighborhood'.

I didn't go completely through the 15+ pages of this thread so if it's been brought up, I apologize but I have a question that maybe y'all can answer... Just curious what the likelihood would be of a business owner pressing trespassing charges on you in the aftermath of you using your concealed gun to take out a guy who was attempting to hold up the place and endangering other patron's lives.

As soon as I figure out what I intend to carry, I plan on carrying in "gun free zones". Well, except for the obvious places like government buildings and such.

I applaud all of you that refuse to do business with gun free businesses and even more so to the ones that have even informed the business that they will take their business elsewhere but for me, there's very limited places to shop around here that don't have signs up which is why I don't have that luxury. Even traveling 40 plus miles away to the next town really isn't an option. Besides, even with the lack of that luxury, I myself could really care less about their no guns policy. The way I see it, if they don't know I have it, they don't have the reason to deny me service.

Hopefully I don't step on any toes but, even if you do take the time to inform the store owner why you won't step foot in there, it's only gonna matter if they care. If I was a store owner that didn't want guns in my establishment and someone told me they weren't gonna shop there because of my sign, I'd say see ya.

Disclaimer, I'm not one of those people, I'm just saying if I were, that would be my attitude to someone not liking my sign.
In your particular case there would be no danger to you unless you venture out of state. No-gun signs do not have the force of law in Oklahoma. Be very clear on your circumstances though. You can't legally "take out a guy" simply for robbing an establishment. That danger to life that you mentioned needs to exist before you can use deadly force. Don't try to play cop unless prison is a place that really appeals to you.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you still conceal carry into posted "No Carry" businesses?

In your particular case there would be no danger to you unless you venture out of state. No-gun signs do not have the force of law in Oklahoma.
I guess I don't fully understand the "force of law" thing pertaining to no gun signs. My SDA Instructor flat out told me that if a store owner sees that you are carrying even though he/she has a no guns sign posted, they can press trespassing charges on you if you don't leave when asked to.

Please elaborate.

Be very clear on your circumstances though. You can't legally "take out a guy" simply for robbing an establishment. That danger to life that you mentioned needs to exist before you can use deadly force. Don't try to play cop unless prison is a place that really appeals to you.
I guess I should be more specific, I have no intentions on ever being a hero. I realize that could be considered as not the right attitude but, nobody in that store is my responsibility. Hate to be that way but there's just too much liability involved.

With all the law bending attorneys out there that like to bend the rules and find loopholes in any given case to out someone as a bad guy, one must really be careful when resorting to lethal and deadly force in that kind of situation. It's the sad, bitter truth.

Until the guy comes to me wanting me to hand over my wallet is when I become his problem.

I know you have to be sure of your target but, I guess I don't understand how knowing when to use lethal force when the danger to life is unfolding right before your eyes in that situation, would be considered as playing cop. I guess it could be but the end result is saving an innocent person from a bullet.

So, what are you saying, if a someone walks in and shoves a gun in the cashiers face threatening to shoot them and someone else who's in there conceal carrying pulls their gun out and basically saves the day that, he could be brought up on charges of his own? I would love to say that makes absolute zero sense but in this sue-happy world that we live in, it doesn't seem all that far fetched. Again, I'm not saying that person would be me, I'm just merely asking hypothetically.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never suggested we shouldn't go somewhere because there might be a potential danger, and I never said anything about "playing". The argument isn't about avoiding danger

Yes you did, right here:
Another reason why I know you're just having fun. If you were really that worried about your safety, you wouldn't be going to places you yourself have already said are more dangerous than others.
Just as the bird is not afraid of falling because it has wings, so am I not afraid for my saftey because I'm armed.

So, what are you saying, if a someone walks in and shoves a gun in the cashiers face threatening to shoot them and someone else who's in there conceal carrying pulls their gun out and basically saves the day that, he could be brought up on charges of his own?
A civil lawsuit against you is certain, from the assailant's family (you caused them to lose income), customers claiming to be traumatized (total bullshitbut juries eat it up), and the buisness it all happens in (resulting loss of revenue will be blamed on you). Criminal charges are likely even if the police don't arrest you. Sure it may not be "murder" but some form of lesser homicide charge.

If you carry a gun, you need to have a healthy saving and self-defence insurance before you walk out your front door.

There is no world in which you use your gun and walk away scott-free. It's always bad. It always changes your life forever. In most cases it ruins you financhialy.

But it's either that, or die.

Like choosing between Trump or Hillary, there is no good option. You're choosing which pair of dirty socks to wear.

You can't claim to be respecting someone'sright to carry while telling them to not carry.
While you have the right to bear arms you do not have any right to be on/in the property owned by someone else. Either you have the owner's permission to be there or you don't. And "Open to the Public" really means "Open only to those individual members of the public who agree to abide by the terms and conditions necessary to have permission to enter".

No one ever loses their right to carry but if you enter private property you agree to the terms and conditions the property owner has set (and usually informed you of with a sign) in order to have his permission to enter. You voluntarily agree not to exercise your right to carry in exchange for permission to enter. If you do not abide by those terms and conditions you do not have the owner's permission to be there and without his permission you are not only disrespecting his private property right to control who is, and who is not, allowed on/in his property but are also running the risk of being caught in the act of, and possibly prosecuted for, trespassing.

About birds....
While a bird is not afraid the branch might break the bird still has the wisdom to avoid landing on unsafe branches where it might need to rely on it's wings.

While you have the right to bear arms you do not have any right to be on/in the property owned by someone else.
No right includes the creation of a Public Hazard or Public Nuisance, which is exactly what a gun-free zone is; every mass killing since 1950 except 2 were carried out in gun free zones.

A private property owner does not have the right to ban the public from carrying firearms, so I will ignore your sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back