Do you still conceal carry into posted "No Carry" businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappeScrapn

Maybe a crazy question but I wanted to hear what some of you think and/or do about this. Do any of you still carry into a business that has a "No Handguns" sign posted?

I personally always want to follow the laws. I would never want to jeopardize loosing my permit nor give conceal carry holders a bad name. There are enough people looking for any excise to take our guns away.
However, some business that are posted I just don't agree with :) like say The Movie Theater. There was a little small no handguns sign that I had to actually look hard for on the side window of the ticket booth. Not on the front window of the booth and not on any of the doors but on the side window right next to the "no cell phone" sign (yea right, no cell phone). I almost missed the stupid no gun sign.

I took my gun back to my truck and went to see the movie anyway. Before I left, I actually talked to the Manager after the movies and brought up the question as to what would happen to someone who brought their CC weapon in even thought it was posted not to. Then come some crazy person, mad at the world with his gun and starts shooting. That make the CC holder have to pull their weapon to protect people and or themselves. The "bad guy" was shot, hurt and/or killed. Would they press charges against the CC holder for bringing their weapon in when they had a no handgun policy or would they overlook the fact the carried CC holder saved lives and or their own life.

The manager said "Good question, I'll have to ask my boss and see what they say." I haven't heard back yet. Go figure, but I'm going to push it and see what kind of answer they come up with.

What do you do? Carry in anyway? Put your weapon back in the car and go in? Just don't do business with them and go somewhere else that allows you to carry?

Have a blessed evening!
HappeScrapn

I've answered this in another thread, perhaps not as in depth as I'm about to though...

I would ask to speak with a manager from the door.

I would tell him or her I was sorry they did not want my business and point to the sign. If I was there for a large purchase I would let them know exactly how much of a sale they just lost. In your movie scenario, I would let them know they lost a customer from here on out and that one day's proceeds was probably at least $50 for my movie ticket and snacks... (more if I was with family or friends) Same for a restaurant scenario. If I had my calling cards on me I'd leave one and tell them to give me a call, text, or email if they ever changed their policy.

I would then let them watch me walk away.

Fortunately it is VERY RARE for me to see a properly posted business here (some improperly posted, therefore with no weight of law).
We have two things which have NO criminal repercussions and LOW priced fines for first offense: $10 for no seat belt, $50 for carrying in a properly posted place.
I did carry in a church in a state that places churches off limits once (I happen to know that the pastor, his wife and at least 3 other people were also carrying).

Fortunately it is VERY RARE for me to see a properly posted business here (some improperly posted, therefore with no weight of law).
We have two things which have NO criminal repercussions and LOW priced fines for first offense: $10 for no seat belt, $50 for carrying in a properly posted place.
I did carry in a church in a state that places churches off limits once (I happen to know that the pastor, his wife and at least 3 other people were also carrying).

I was under the impression that there is no longer ANY fine for carrying in a legally posted building in Kansas. I believe this changed last year. Even properly posted---no weight of law. Here is my source.

http://ag.ks.gov/docs/default-sourc...carry-legislative-changes---faqs.pdf?sfvrsn=6

One substantive change made by HB 2052 is that licensees will no longer be subject to a criminal penalty for simply carrying past a properly posted Attorney General approved sign.
The licensee will be subject to denial of entry or removal from the building. If licensees fail to comply with removal commands, a “criminal trespass” charge may apply.
In other words, if you carry past a properly posted Attorney General approved sign, and are asked to leave the premises--do so.

That's pretty much the case in Indiana. Signs do not have the weight of law. But I will still abide by them and let the businesses know they are loosing my money in the process.

However, I have only come across one business in my area with a "No Carry" sign, and I told them I was going to their competitor. Apparently they haven't lost any sleep over loosing my business because the sign is still there.

In my state there is no force of law for the signs. If I'm discovered, asked to leave or put it in my car, and I don't... Then I'm guilty of trespass. So I ignore the signs and will comply and leave if I'm discovered.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Not purposely. I carried into a jewelry store and didn't notice until I left that it was posted. I didn't notice because it didn't have the Gun buster sign, in fact it was posted in a long 2 paragraph small-type sign with no graphic, which wasn't even on the door, it was over to the side several feet. It didn't even start with "No Guns" or something. It was oddly worded, and you had to get to the second sentence before it even mentioned firearms, then it went on and on and on, like it was written by a lawyer.

I saw it on the way in, but it was not really readable from the door, and I didn't go over to look at it closer. The only reason I noticed it at all was curiosity, as I was leaving I thought "What does that thing say?"

Here in NC there is no required format that business have to post, so it was legal, and has the force of law, but it was still a really stupid way to post it, when a simple gun buster graphic would have been far better.

I try to not help fund anti gun establishments. So I don't go in, then both parties Rights have been honored. I open carry, losing a privilege doesn't mean much to me to begin with.

I agree I don't support them if they support no firearms but in my state the sign means nothing with the license I carry

I've read before that Costco has a no-guns policy, but have never seen a sign indicating such, so I certainly never disarmed while CC'ing there. Last August, when a new law went into effect clarifying the full legality of OC, I started OC'ing. I figured if there was one place that I went on a regular basis that would give me a hard time about it, it would be Costco, but nope, been there probably 20 times or more since August OC'ing every time and not a word.

The only place I've ever seen a sign here in Alabama was at a City Animal Shelter where we were looking for a cat to adopt, but the Animal Shelter is an annex of the Sheriff's Department, and all cop facilities are prohibited without permission from someone in management anyway, so it didn't come as any surprise to me when I saw it. That was before August last year and I was CC'ing, and no, I didn't enter anyway. My wife is the cat-person, so I waited in the Jeep while she looked for a cat.

Otherwise, never seen another sign at all in the 22 years we've been here, so it's a near-total academic argument for me that isn't worth arguing about and I won't say whether I would or wouldn't carry even at a posted business.

Blues

Pretty much what BS said. I don't usually read notices when entering businesses and don't remember the last time I saw a gunbuster sign. Surely I must have though. I only know of one establishment that is positively anti-gun (Brandsmart) that I used to carry in. Now I give my busuness to their competitors.

I've answered this in another thread, perhaps not as in depth as I'm about to though...

I would ask to speak with a manager from the door.

I would tell him or her I was sorry they did not want my business and point to the sign. If I was there for a large purchase I would let them know exactly how much of a sale they just lost. In your movie scenario, I would let them know they lost a customer from here on out and that one day's proceeds was probably at least $50 for my movie ticket and snacks... (more if I was with family or friends) Same for a restaurant scenario. If I had my calling cards on me I'd leave one and tell them to give me a call, text, or email if they ever changed their policy.

I would then let them watch me walk away.

No one cares. They don't want your dollars. Anti-gun idealism trumps capitalism. Personally I would tell the person to go bend someone else's ear.
I don't look for signs. I've only seen one sign in NY in all my years and it was at HSBC bank. I ignored it as I was carrying money. In NYS signs have no weight of law.

In Florida the gun buster signs have no weight of law. With that being said, if they have them, I will take my business elsewhere.

I don't know if the places I frequent have the signs or not. I just don't look. It never occurred to me that I should. I know where I can't carry, airports cop shops (although I do carry in donut shops, which generally house as many cops as their headquarters) etc. But otherwise I don't look, don't ask.

That said my brother commented to me that there was a no weapons sign at a theater we used to go to. It was low near the ground in white paint in front of a light concrete floor. Almost invisible. I told the manager I thought it was a stupid policy and where was their extra security in case of a Colorado type attack?

Then I said goodbye.

I carry concealed to protect myself and my family. I cannot do that if I am not carrying when the BG decides to come in and shoot up a place that I might be in. In Texas, the State has a signage requirement. The sign has to be posted at the businesses entry in a highly visible place, the lettering has to be a certain size, and the sign has to say a very specific worded notification that is listed in the State law, word for word. A sign that simply says No Guns Allowed does not prohibit me from carrying into a place of business if I decide to carry into their business, and I do. The law also states that I cannot carry into a business that derives more than 51% of its business from the sale of alcohol. The business is obligated to post that information as well. I do not carry into a bar. The weird thing is that every liquor store I've been in, has legal state supplied signs that specifically state that the ''UNLICENSED CARRYING OF A CONCEALED WEAPON IS PROHIBITED", which means that as long as I have my license on my person, I can carry my gun. I do carry in restaurants, unless properly posted. If they are properly posted, I take my business to a competitor. Other places I'm not allowed to carry are government buildings, airport security areas, and others that are listed, including churches. There is a further clause in the law that states however that if the church is not posted, then I can legally carry inside the church. My church is not posted. I do not inform the owner of a business that I am carrying, in spite of their non-compliant signs, because in case of trouble, I don't want him looking to me to help him and give away the fact that I am armed to the BG. Surprise is a much better option in my opinion.
What I am saying is that I make the choice to carry 'ALL OF THE TIME'. I see no reason to carry into areas that have armed security personnel and risk losing my license to carry in areas prohibited by the State law. If they are not prohibited, then I carry. Period. I just don't let anyone know. If I miss a legally posted sign prohibiting me from carrying and enter a business armed, then once I become aware of the sign, I do go out to my vehicle and disarm. If the sign is missed however, due to being located improperly, and not at the entrance as the law requires, then I am not liable for illegally carrying, but I do have to prove it in a court room, and yes, I have a very good lawyer.
We all have made a choice to defend ourselves and our families by carrying a deadly weapon. You cannot do that if you do not have it with you when you really need it, and believe me, more than likely, the one time you don't have it with you is when you will need it most. Remember, the BG doesn't pay attention to the sign at the door, other than to become informed that the chances are very good that no one inside will be able to stop him from robbing everyone inside the building and possibly killing someone in the process. You as an individual have to consider why you made the choice to carry, and how serious you are about your reason to do so. I have done that. I refer you back to my first two sentences in this post.
Carry on and be aware of your surroundings. Also, practice hitting what you shoot at.

If they go to the trouble of properly posting their business, I'd do business with someone else. Until SB 447 passes, they need that little sign to prohibit open carry, but it doesn't apply to you.

If the business is improperly posted, I go about m business as usual. On the off chance I get "caught," I'll explain I didn't see the sign. No need to explain further than that. ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

In just about eight months of carrying concealed I have only seen one "no guns" sign, and it was at a VA Center in Arizona when I wasn't carrying anyway. There just aren't many signs here in CO.

If I did see a sign I would not go in, even though they don't have force of law here. I figure anyone stupid enough to actually post something like that doesn't want my business.

Here in SC, if it's a legal sign then I either don't carry or take my $$$ some place else according to the requirements (example I do not carry into the local VA clinic or the hospital in Charleston, my church or the post office). I do however carry into places that have non-compliant signs and don't think anything about it, if they don't care enough to have a legal sign then I could care less if they don't like it. Ask me to leave and I will go. A good example is the Goodwill store, non compliant sign equals I go right in, several other businesses have non compliant signs, I go right on in. I mostly try to stay out of places that don't want my money though.

Signs carry no weight of law in Washington. The only places I have seen no firearms signs is in the middle of the lengthy "rules of conduct" signs that you have to search for at the big shopping malls. I carry concealed past them because I don't know if the "no guns" policy is the desire of the individual stores within the mall or not. I am breaking no laws and how can I "give conceal carry holders a bad name" when - wait for it - IT'S CONCEALED!

In Texas there are only two signs that have the force of law behind them they are the 30.06 sign and the 51% signLink Removed Link Removed

Signs like Link Removed (Which is a real sign n a Asian Mall in Houston) or even these Link Removed get ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back