Concealed carry badges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did this thread come back alive...

I've read through many post on this subject. I own a handgun and have recently gone through the CHL class. The reason for getting a permit varies from person to person. Business, pleasure, disability, family, home, etc. Here's a reason why I'm looking into buying a badge. It's the same reason I've thought about buying one of those fake "FBI" or "CSI" hoodies. My hobby puts me out in the public at all hours of the day. Sometimes very late and very early in the morning. I have been approached a few times by prostitutes, and "others" you don't want to turn your back on. My hobby takes my attention off my surroundings and I can't be focused 100% on who's walking up to me.

I'm not saying that I want to announce that I'm carrying a weapon, I want to announce a "QUESTION" to whomever might be thinking about walking up to me. I want the "bad and seedy" persons to avoid me. Regular folks probably would feel safer knowing that there's a "deterrent" for bad persons in the area. It's the same reason people "feel" safer when there's a security or police officer patrolling an area.

I don't want to pose as an officer, etc. And that's the "CON" side to this badge carry. I don't want "GOOD" persons coming up to me either asking me questions. But if I have a choice, I'd rather a "good" person vs a "bad" approach me. Their intentions are the key factor.

Which brings me to the point of why I'd carry a badge. A "bad" person might look and see a badge hanging from my neck and "KNOW" to stay away. A "BAD" person looks for signs that might get them caught. But the flip side is, you also become a target for that nut who thinks your a police "type" of officer. In my life, I see more pluses to wearing one when I'm doing my hobby. But for general everyday carry, the badge would probably not be needed.

It honestly depends on where and what you are doing. And why you need one.

If I see an individual with "FBI" in large letters on their shirt/hoodie, I wonder why they choose to wear the logo of an agency with less than a stellar reputation. Now if I see a bunch of people with FBI or similar shirts, then something is going on, but then it would probably be on vests, not shirts.

An ICE or INS t-shirt might be handy if you need to go to the ER in the middle of the night. Probably cut your wait time considerably as many get up and leave.

If I see an individual with "FBI" in large letters on their shirt/hoodie, I wonder why they choose to wear the logo of an agency with less than a stellar reputation. Now if I see a bunch of people with FBI or similar shirts, then something is going on, but then it would probably be on vests, not shirts.

An ICE or INS t-shirt might be handy if you need to go to the ER in the middle of the night. Probably cut your wait time considerably as many get up and leave.
CBP for the win.

One good reason I can think of to wear a conealed carry badge is to make the bad guys laugh so hard they are rolling on the floor and unable to attack you. ;)

Already the negative comments. I've had to pepper spray dogs, twice & call the police twice. We've had gang attacks where I go & last night someone shot/killed where I go . It's ugly out there. But carrying a gun won't deter an attacker unless they know you have one(gun). How many police are attack? Why not? Maybe because its against the law & they carry a badge & gun. How's the crime rate in liberal carry states? Low. Why? Because criminals have a deterrent where more people ccw. Why do people put alarm signs in their front yard & on their windows? It's called a deterrent. A gun on your side is the last thing you should ever have to grab unless you are going to kill someone. A deterrent . That's all we're taking about. Not playing cop. I personally don't like being poked with a stick by strangers in a park. But if they saw a small badge on my belt or around my neck, all I'm simply saying is, they'd probably not come up to me. And for maybe 3 hours a day, to have the piece of mind that I won't have to kill someone, I think a small metal deterrent is worth a life. Because the collateral repercussions of firing one shoot might lose you everything. Family, job, home.

If the badge is laughable, again I'd have to ask, would you go up to person wearing only a badge & then screw with them ? I know I wouldn't, because it might land me a night in jail or shot. Because I would think them to be a ”public” servant.

Just because you carry doesn't mean the sh!t won't hit the fan. I'm just trying prevent it from every flying my way.

Look man, you raised a five year old thread from the grave, asked us what we thought, which turned out to be what pretty much everyone over the previous four years thought, and now you're whining because a few of us answered your question?

If you want to wear a badge, go ahead. It's about the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, but to each his own.

Blues

Already the negative comments. I've had to pepper spray dogs, twice & call the police twice. We've had gang attacks where I go & last night someone shot/killed where I go . It's ugly out there. But carrying a gun won't deter an attacker unless they know you have one(gun). How many police are attack? Why not? Maybe because its against the law & they carry a badge & gun. How's the crime rate in liberal carry states? Low. Why? Because criminals have a deterrent where more people ccw. Why do people put alarm signs in their front yard & on their windows? It's called a deterrent. A gun on your side is the last thing you should ever have to grab unless you are going to kill someone. A deterrent . That's all we're taking about. Not playing cop. I personally don't like being poked with a stick by strangers in a park. But if they saw a small badge on my belt or around my neck, all I'm simply saying is, they'd probably not come up to me. And for maybe 3 hours a day, to have the piece of mind that I won't have to kill someone, I think a small metal deterrent is worth a life. Because the collateral repercussions of firing one shoot might lose you everything. Family, job, home.

If the badge is laughable, again I'd have to ask, would you go up to person wearing only a badge & then screw with them ? I know I wouldn't, because it might land me a night in jail or shot. Because I would think them to be a ”public” servant.

Just because you carry doesn't mean the sh!t won't hit the fan. I'm just trying prevent it from every flying my way.

If you really think a little piece of tin on your belt is going to stop sh!t from hitting the fan go right ahead. Carrying a fake badge as a deterrent is akin to carrying an empty gun. Best of luck to you.

I've read through many post on this subject. I own a handgun and have recently gone through the CHL class. The reason for getting a permit varies from person to person. Business, pleasure, disability, family, home, etc. Here's a reason why I'm looking into buying a badge. It's the same reason I've thought about buying one of those fake "FBI" or "CSI" hoodies. My hobby puts me out in the public at all hours of the day. Sometimes very late and very early in the morning. I have been approached a few times by prostitutes, and "others" you don't want to turn your back on. My hobby takes my attention off my surroundings and I can't be focused 100% on who's walking up to me.

I'm not saying that I want to announce that I'm carrying a weapon, I want to announce a "QUESTION" to whomever might be thinking about walking up to me. I want the "bad and seedy" persons to avoid me. Regular folks probably would feel safer knowing that there's a "deterrent" for bad persons in the area. It's the same reason people "feel" safer when there's a security or police officer patrolling an area.

I don't want to pose as an officer, etc. And that's the "CON" side to this badge carry. I don't want "GOOD" persons coming up to me either asking me questions. But if I have a choice, I'd rather a "good" person vs a "bad" approach me. Their intentions are the key factor.

Which brings me to the point of why I'd carry a badge. A "bad" person might look and see a badge hanging from my neck and "KNOW" to stay away. A "BAD" person looks for signs that might get them caught. But the flip side is, you also become a target for that nut who thinks your a police "type" of officer. In my life, I see more pluses to wearing one when I'm doing my hobby. But for general everyday carry, the badge would probably not be needed.

It honestly depends on where and what you are doing. And why you need one.

May we ask what sort of hobby puts you around prostitutes and involved with the public at wee hours in the morning?

Why do you CC then... just open carry and let them know you actually do have a gun, whereas your idea is wearing a badge that doesn't mean anything. According to your defenses, this would deter the stuff from flying your way and you won't run the risk of having a run in with a real police officer who suspects you are impersonating one.

Plain and simple, a badge is for law enforcement. If you give every Tom, ****, and Harry a badge you will create problems. For one, people will start to question the veracity of a LEO's badge. Two, please refer to the "having a gun doesn't make you a LEO" thread, vigilante-ism would probably see an up-tick. Three, you've heard of people impersonating LEO for less than savory purposes like rape and car-jacking, would thiss increase as well?
-
I'm not googling every state, but I'll bet you a dollar that every concealed permit requires that you carry it while armed. Why do you think that is?

Plain and simple, a badge is for law enforcement. If you give every Tom, ****, and Harry a badge you will create problems. For one, people will start to question the veracity of a LEO's badge. Two, please refer to the "having a gun doesn't make you a LEO" thread, vigilante-ism would probably see an up-tick. Three, you've heard of people impersonating LEO for less than savory purposes like rape and car-jacking, would thiss increase as well?
And badges don't even stop cops from shooting other cops so why would anyone think that a badge is going to stop a criminal from shooting the badge holder?

Ok so why go there one of the first things that come to mind when thinking about safty and self preservation is to avoid areas of conflict and to not willing go into high crime areas with out just cause! I mean really common sense would appear to dictate a different course of action here. Clearly you are not an leo based on your statements you have not duty to be in such areas so why do it?

Carrying a shiny badge on your person (if you are not a cop) is a bad idea imvho.

If you ever ended up having to utilize your sidearm in a self-defense situation, the prosecution would definately use that against you on numerous levels.
"Wanna-Be-Cop" "Armed Vigilante With A Badge" ... Etc...Etc...

Carrying a shiny badge on your person (if you are not a cop) is a bad idea imvho.

If you ever ended up having to utilize your sidearm in a self-defense situation, the prosecution would definately use that against you on numerous levels.
"Wanna-Be-Cop" "Armed Vigilante With A Badge" ... Etc...Etc...

Yep, even Geroge Z in FL. No badge a gun and problems.

Even assuming that the poster is asking a real question and not trolling he is very clearly stating that he intends to wear the badge/ hoodie/vest specifically to make people think he’s a cop.

There’s not a jurisdiction in this country where that isn’t impersonating a police officer.

Ok so why go there one of the first things that come to mind when thinking about safty and self preservation is to avoid areas of conflict and to not willing go into high crime areas with out just cause! I mean really common sense would appear to dictate a different course of action here. Clearly you are not an leo based on your statements you have not duty to be in such areas so why do it?

Not everyone lives in a great neighborhood. Before I got married I lived on South Nevada in Colorado Springs, I had hookers turning tricks in the parking lot of the apartments I lived in. I couldn't walk from my apartment to work (2 blocks) without someone trying to sell me crack. Living in that neighborhood is the main reason I started carrying

As a volunteer firefighter for 30+ years, I had a firefighter badge for many years, and on rare occasions it was useful primary to prove to LEO's that I had the right and duty to enter a scene. Otherwise it is was in my badge wallet, or pinned to my uniform shirt on the rare occasions I actually wore a uniform. I never wore it or displayed it when it was not clear I was a FF, not a LEO.

Sometimes new guys were proud of their badge and would wear it on their belt in a holder. After being mistaken for a LEO, or worse a rent-a-cop often enough, and they took it off their belt and put it in their pocket or vehicle.

Really bad idea. You can be charged with impersonating a peace officer. This can backfire on you in ways beyond being charged with a crime. I would strongly advise against it.

Link Removed

I have not heard of any one wearing a shirt like this getting chosen as a victim...but keep pushing that fear mongering...it's working for the Brady campaign...why wouldn't it work for us...unsubstantiated fear, gotta love it...
Do the words on that "T" refer to the CC'er or to the assailant? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back