Concealed carry badges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't going to say more on this subject -- However if I was conducting a chp class, a large number of you would not be allowed to continue trainging for your cert. VERY BAD ATTITUDE! Some are acting like children by respoding to an honest question with ridicule and demeaning response's. Consider the real facts and get a grip man, act like you can actually be trusted to carry.

One of the worst parts of my HCP exam was the sense of humor probe. Sure, it tickled at first...

TTYL. I'm off to resurrect a Microsoft BOB thread.

Re: Concealed carry badges

One would think that the badge could be good or bad.

Pros: Make others feel at ease if they did see your weapon(especially for full size carriers), gives LEO on or off duty the ability to know who is armed, Perps are less likely to attempt any criminal activity if the presense of any badge is apparent(they don't need to read it just see it, the human mind is hardwired to associate any badge with LE***not impersonating***

Cons: Some immature weekend warriors will act a fool and pretend they are LEOs however many of these people actually aren't even carrying a weapon. Also they may be times when you approached as a LEO but thats where honesty comes in and you tell them you cannot assist them.

IMO some of the threads are more like assaults on others opinion rather than advise which is what this site is for. I understand that some opinions are very strong. In reguards to looking like a bada** rent-a-cop the majority of them wear a uniform.

Scenerio: Your at the local grocery store and you catch a quick glimpse of a gun and beside it you see a badge but you couldn't read it. Chances are most of you and your peers will assume that person is related to some kind of LE, however that person never said of acted like they were they were just carrying out there day to day lives as you do, but you will not give that person a second glance because you mind is made up, if you do then it's possible that you are too concerned with others.

Same situation except for this time you were planned on robbing the clerk. You see the same gun and badge, chances are you will not attempt to act out any criminal activity. That man could have potentially saved a life or several.
Please post real PROS and CONS to this post I am curious to know more.

I think concealed carry badges are a bad idea and I also think private investigators carrying badges is a bad idea. Matter of fact, I believe only LEO's should have badges and here's why.

It is way too easy to be confused with being a Police Officer and or being accused of impersonating a Police Officer.

Being misidentified as a Police Officer could get you killed if the one who misidentifies you is out to "get a cop".

Being misidentified as LEO by the average citizen could also become a problem when they come to you for help, in an emergency, and then you have to tell them you are not LEO and you have no more authority than they do. They are excited or in fear at the time and would most likely have an adverse reaction to you or your inaction at the moment. They are looking for help and will only think you are playing "cop". Won't go over well with the real cops when they show up either.

The whole idea behind concealed carry is just that "CONCEALED". No one is supposed to know you are carrying, if at all possible. I'll concede that at times a person may notice your weapon or a bulge on your hip but the circumstances you are in at the moment will determine how you respond to anyone's questions. Just be prepared to explain in a calm voice.

The last thing you need on the street is to have an excited citizen, or a pissed off punk, tell the Police you identified yourself as a cop and flashed a badge at them. When the Police stop you and you have that badge hanging on your belt like a cop than they have visual proof that what the citizen or punk told them is true and there is a good chance you may find yourself in handcuffs and going for a ride. Its your word against the citizen or the punk and the Police have all the evidence they need hanging right there on your belt. Cops don't like folks who pretend to be them. Doesn't matter if you are guilty or not you still have to prove it. That can get expensive. Lawyers ain't cheap.

Maybe carry some type of business card you can give folks if they question you that indicates you have a legal CCW permit and why. Something to show your support for the 2nd Amendment and why the 2nd makes all the other Amendments possible. Firearm safety rules. Local NRA approved ranges where they can go to get training and/or get their own weapon. Where they can get information to obtain their own CCW permit. State Law on the use of Deadly Force. Something that looks professional and doesn't make you seem like a wack job.

Badges with no authority behind them just get you in trouble.

CCW Badge is a ridiculous idea. A CCW permit is NOT a badge. Displaying a badge that carries no legal weight only makes CCW holders, especially those with these badges, look silly.

Just my $.02.

A CCW badge can greatly enhance the "element of surprise." Bad guy attacks. You whip out your CCW baddge and yell, "SURPRISE!" I'll bet the bad guy will be surprised as hell to find out you only have a CCW badge and not even a gun.....

Lot of good responses...Speaking for the LEO side, I'm going to wonder if during the encounter, you presented yourself as a police officer.

Even if you did not, and your actions led people to think you were an officer it could have an effect how a prosecutor looks at you.

If you are involved in a shooting you already have enough legal issues to deal with. Don't add fuel to the fire.

Not only does it make you look like you are trying to pretend to be a cop, I would also be worried that a DA could tell a jury that you were trying to be a cop and out looking for trouble. Carrying a badge in addition to your license and weapon gives the impression of premeditation-at least to me...

I'm thinking in Oklahoma (only) since I don't know other states law, but here you can only open carry if you have CCW, So I think it may be a good idea to keep the people who are going to "freak out" from maybe freaking out quite as bad.

Oh Good God, no! I make every effort to make sure no one knows I carry, the only person who knows I carry is my son. If I'm ever asked by a LEO I have my concealed carry license.

Carry quietly, discreetly; we don't need wannabe action starved people on the streets packing and ready to whip out a concealed carry badge.

Not saying to whip it out, I'm saying if you choose to open carry I can see where it wouldn't freak people out so much, that is all

Last Saturday I was in Dayton Ohio at a annual armature (HAM) radio convention (largest in the US) about 20,000 + people at Hara arena, lots of police to keep things civil JIC...

and I noticed 1 individual with a CC (gold) shield prominently displayed on his shirt... No it did not look good... No it did not get him anything special... and Yes I thought it a tad tacky!

Last Saturday I was in Dayton Ohio at a annual armature (HAM) radio convention (largest in the US) about 20,000 + people at Hara arena, lots of police to keep things civil JIC...

and I noticed 1 individual with a CC (gold) shield prominently displayed on his shirt... No it did not look good... No it did not get him anything special... and Yes I thought it a tad tacky!

I saw some idiot in a Baskin Robins wearing a badge that said " Licensed Security Officer" on his belt a few years back. I couldn't help myself I was on the the floor rolling. The louder I laughed the redder he got.

Not saying to whip it out, I'm saying if you choose to open carry I can see where it wouldn't freak people out so much, that is all

Assuming you're not walking around in a hot pink, tacti-cool, drop leg thigh holster, carrying a gold plated .50 Desert Beagle you'd be amazed how many people don't even notice you're carrying

i've seen those bright shiny gold badges they look pretty sharp but i wouldn't want one pinned to my chest
i saw them at the gun show where i think anyone can buy one even if they not ccwp holders? i don't know if you have to prove you are a ccwp holder or not in order to buy one..so can anyone just buy one or does one have to show themselves a ccwp holder to purchase one??
just curious though i don't want one for myself like another poster said 'i have enough to carry .........''
and i see no good reason to have one or carry one around either
i guess it's in our culture we go to scouts and earn badges and taught to proudly display them on a sash or uniform and many adult in other clubs gangs military and masonic orders have all kinds of ridiculous regalia to feed their egos and to let others know their 'importance' in such and such a group.......all that unnecessary junk is just that ;unnecessary junk. imo
even if someone gave me one i'd never carry it on my person much less wear the thing

momma take this badge from me.......lolz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmc8rJgxUI heheh

Your HCP is your authority to be armed, you don't need anything else. Badges are for authority and we ,as private handgun carriers, possess no special authority.

nobody should have 'authority' over anyone else i don't care if they have a badge or not some silly badge shouldn't give anyone a right to have any authority over anyone else

All you need is your CCW card in case police want proof. Badges can go to peoples heads and make them thing they have more power than they do. I don't want people to know I carry. By the way in Oklahoma you can now open carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back