Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

This is what I disagree with. G50AE is saying this in reference to alcm44's post saying only on duty cops carry openly.
He thinks cops open carry off duty too.
I don't think so. I think he was saying that uniformed cops are not the only ones that open carry. If you read G50AE's reply, he said that both NavyLCDR and I open carry on a regular basis, and we are not police officers. I fail to see how off duty police come into the equation. Except to say that I knew a LEO many years ago who OCed in my home town, when I was growing up.

I don't think so. I think he was saying that uniformed cops are not the only ones that open carry. If you read G50AE's reply, he said that both NavyLCDR and I open carry on a regular basis, and we are not police officers. I fail to see how off duty police come into the equation. Except to say that I knew a LEO many years ago who OCed in my home town, when I was growing up.

BINGO!

Why does my reply have to have at least 15 characters?

How is it that NavyLCDR and Big Gay Al were both able to understand exactly what I was saying, but other posters were not? I will say it again, OC isn't just for LEO's, Big Gay AL and NavyLCDR both do it on a regular basis, and neither of them are LEO's.
I guess the others just are not as astute as we are. :biggrin:

Concealed Carry has many fans, but when it comes down to a firefight, it will fail you.

When you conceal carry, you are signaling the world that you want to be victimized, even if you are just bluffing!

Bad Guys are not afraid of you unless you are actually ready to fight.

And they aren't going to give you that chance.

As carriers, we are not on the offensive all the time. Self defense demands you have SA and a good offensive that you can unleash as quickly as possible.

Tactics learned on the conventional firing range are worthless in a real fight. The Bad Guys aren't going to give you time to get ready, and sight in on them. They want to win, at your expense.

Open Carry is the way to go on the streets. You get the element of deterrence.

(I thought this would be interesting, take the first post and switch open to concealed. Replace the surprise for deterrence.)

You're making the assumption that most bad guys are looking for a fight. In fact, nearly all bad guys are looking for weak prey.

m444ss:229917 said:
You're making the assumption that most bad guys are looking for a fight. In fact, nearly all bad guys are looking for weak prey.

It would make sense then to carry in a way to stop the majority of crimes before they occur. The 1% that aren't looking for weak prey are dangerous to everyone, period.

Its too bad that 1% has created so many lies and myths about a form of carry.

Its too bad that 1% has created so many lies and myths about a form of carry.

It's not the 1% of the criminals that have created those lies and myths. If one buys into, even a little bit, the propaganda that the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun groups have pushed on the public for decades, it creates a feeling that carrying a gun is somehow abnormal or worthy of suspicion. Think of how many people on this forum feel that a police officer is just doing his job by "checking out" a person because they are known to be carrying a gun. Think of how many people on this forum feel the need to tell a cop about their permit or their gun at the first opportunity. Think of how many people on this forum feel that government mandated training and permitting is a good thing "to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't carry them".

All through the latter half of the 19th and first quarter of the 20th centuries, in most of America a man would be considered suspicious and abnormal if they were NOT visibly carrying a gun! It's because of the Brady Bunch and anti-gun rhetoric that has changed that.

It seems as if the concealed carry only crowd simply has bought into that propaganda, that carrying a gun is worthy of extra scrutiny and suspicion. It appears as if some are just trying to gain more acceptance as a "pro-gun" person when they use excuses like you will be shot first if you open carry.

I just don't see why the criminal element would want people to conceal carry and why the criminal element would discourage open carry. Open carry presents a huge advantage to the criminal because they can readily identify the hardened target and wait two minutes for that guy with the gun to leave or go down the street one block to the next "stop and rob" where there doesn't appear to be any armed citizens present.

I really don't think, in my mind, that the criminal element had anything to do with starting the "you'll be a target" open carry myths.

Did u say its been debated?.... Any popcorn left???
Does this give you any idea how MUCH it's been debated?

dedhorse.gif

It's not the 1% of the criminals that have created those lies and myths. If one buys into, even a little bit, the propaganda that the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun groups have pushed on the public for decades, it creates a feeling that carrying a gun is somehow abnormal or worthy of suspicion. Think of how many people on this forum feel that a police officer is just doing his job by "checking out" a person because they are known to be carrying a gun. Think of how many people on this forum feel the need to tell a cop about their permit or their gun at the first opportunity. Think of how many people on this forum feel that government mandated training and permitting is a good thing "to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't carry them".

All through the latter half of the 19th and first quarter of the 20th centuries, in most of America a man would be considered suspicious and abnormal if they were NOT visibly carrying a gun! It's because of the Brady Bunch and anti-gun rhetoric that has changed that.

It seems as if the concealed carry only crowd simply has bought into that propaganda, that carrying a gun is worthy of extra scrutiny and suspicion. It appears as if some are just trying to gain more acceptance as a "pro-gun" person when they use excuses like you will be shot first if you open carry.

I just don't see why the criminal element would want people to conceal carry and why the criminal element would discourage open carry. Open carry presents a huge advantage to the criminal because they can readily identify the hardened target and wait two minutes for that guy with the gun to leave or go down the street one block to the next "stop and rob" where there doesn't appear to be any armed citizens present.

I really don't think, in my mind, that the criminal element had anything to do with starting the "you'll be a target" open carry myths.

It seems though, that they use the 1% that isn't deterred as the example for not open carrying. Because it doesn't deter 100% of the time, its not good enough. So while the 1% doesn't directly create the idea, it definitely enables the anti-oc to continue to spread the misinformation.

Does this give you any idea how MUCH it's been debated?

dedhorse.gif

I can see this debate going on forever right along side the caliber debate, one in the tube debate, help a victim debate...after horses I guess we will have to go after DOLPHIN AND WHALES....then COWS AND CHICKENS!

My two cents...
I do not think it really matters.
I say no matter what, the criminals will do what the criminals will do.

I live in Pennsylvania and I rarely ever see anybody open carry their firearms. Now, probably because of "open carry" not in everybody's face, you will not see to many establishments with that "No Gun Allowed" signs on their doors! Like you see in Virginia. If you throw it in their faces they will react negatively. IMHO.

I live in Pennsylvania and I rarely ever see anybody open carry their firearms. Now, probably because of "open carry" not in everybody's face, you will not see to many establishments with that "No Gun Allowed" signs on their doors! Like you see in Virginia. If you throw it in their faces they will react negatively. IMHO.

I carry my gun in a holster on my belt. If my gun is in someone's face, than that is an interesting situation indeed.

Open carry

If the bad guys know you have a gun they are going to shoot you first. So go a head and open carry I'll shoot at the bad guys as they are shooting at you.

georgegr:230254 said:
If the bad guys know you have a gun they are going to shoot you first. So go a head and open carry I'll shoot at the bad guys as they are shooting at you.

This troll deserves two trolling posters.

images

ricardo900:230249 said:

I live in Washington, we do not have no gun signs on our stores and there are dozens of open carriers in my city. Nothing but positive reactions here. :)

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back