Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

I live in Pennsylvania and I rarely ever see anybody open carry their firearms. Now, probably because of "open carry" not in everybody's face, you will not see to many establishments with that "No Gun Allowed" signs on their doors! Like you see in Virginia. If you throw it in their faces they will react negatively. IMHO.

I live in Pennsylvania and I occasionally see folks open-carry a firearm. I open-carry everywhere, and have been for almost 3 years. I am not the only one. In fact, Saturday evening more than a dozen of us are getting together at a cafe that is locally owned. They have made it clear that they support open carry, and we will support their business.

I have never encountered a business that doesn't welcome, or at least accept, open-carry, and they say it is because they want to be consistent with state laws.

If you prefer, you can continue to post your baseless hysterical fears, or, you could remove your head from the sand and find out for yourself that you've been lied to, and you have fallen for it, hook, line and sinker.

I have never had an encounter that was even remotely negative, including a pleasant chat with a Sergeant of the York City PD, and a Officer of York Area Regional PD. To the contrary, I frequently have encounters with people who express profound support for the 2nd Amendment and all it's forms of carry. This is the only type of encounter I have ever had.

But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you? No, you would rather spread the old lies and myths based on absolutely nothing, fostering Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (F.U.D.) while claiming to be a supporter of the 2nd Amendment yourself.

Here's a clue: If you do not support the practice, then you do not support the right. You yourself do not have to open carry, but you can surely cut the crap. Those of us who know better are weary of your whining.

Curmudgeon:230285 said:
I live in Pennsylvania and I rarely ever see anybody open carry their firearms. Now, probably because of "open carry" not in everybody's face, you will not see to many establishments with that "No Gun Allowed" signs on their doors! Like you see in Virginia. If you throw it in their faces they will react negatively. IMHO.

I live in Pennsylvania and I occasionally see folks open-carry a firearm. I open-carry everywhere, and have been for almost 3 years. I am not the only one. In fact, Saturday evening more than a dozen of us are getting together at a cafe that is locally owned. They have made it clear that they support open carry, and we will support their business.

I have never encountered a business that doesn't welcome, or at least accept, open-carry, and they say it is because they want to be consistent with state laws.

If you prefer, you can continue to post your baseless hysterical fears, or, you could remove your head from the sand and find out for yourself that you've been lied to, and you have fallen for it, hook, line and sinker.

I have never had an encounter that was even remotely negative, including a pleasant chat with a Sergeant of the York City PD, and a Officer of York Area Regional PD. To the contrary, I frequently have encounters with people who express profound support for the 2nd Amendment and all it's forms of carry. This is the only type of encounter I have ever had.

But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you? No, you would rather spread the old lies and myths based on absolutely nothing, fostering Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (F.U.D.) while claiming to be a supporter of the 2nd Amendment yourself.

Here's a clue: If you do not support the practice, then you do not support the right. You yourself do not have to open carry, but you can surely cut the crap. Those of us who know better are weary of your whining.

He speaks! And so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Washington, we do not have no gun signs on our stores and there are dozens of open carriers in my city. Nothing but positive reactions here. :)

I live in Washington as well, and have had the exact same experience. We had a gas station/ convenient store and I had regular customer's ask what was store policy on open carry. I said policy is " No Need to Hide, What's on Your Side; Brandish That Firearm With Pride!"

Waaa! Waaa! My dog's bigger than your dog! For crying out loud people! Opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one but it may not be what everyone wants to see. ANd everyone is entitled to their own, but chastising anyone for their method of carry is just plain stupid.

I have an opinion and I will share if I want. But to beat the dead horse with the crock that one way is better than the other is just so much mental mastrubation and an exercise in futility.

We have all choosen the way we want to carry for several considerations, including state laws, personal levels of comfort, the neighbors we keep and the list goes on and on. So If I choose to carry my firearm in a pink belly pack that boldly state "gun inside" in purple embroidery, so be it. It's my choice and not yours! And being that I'm way over here and you're way over there, I'm in no position to affect your carry and the same goes for you.

If you want to convey positive information that you think I may find interesting, well then thank you. But if you're going to beat me up and tell me my way is the wrong way, well then just shove it! No better way to convince me I'm right that to try to forcefully convince me I'm wrong.

So ther! Btthhh!

Well let's see - Carry conceal and thug confronts you - he already has his gun out, you reach in for yours - you have lost ?????
Carry open - thug sees it - picks a different target,

This argument will never be won, carry as you please, in my state CC only, when in open carry state AZ I can do either.

WoW!!
I didn't intend to come off as some "anti-open carrier". I am just trying to figure out why Virginia businesses, particularly in Northern VA have so many "No Gun" establishments. I live in South East PA, and travel north to Tannersville and I just don't see many open carriers. Well, just because I don't see them, does'nt mean they are not there, lol. I am 110% for all kinds of legal firearm carrying and a proud gun owner! I apologize if my post came off insensitive!

Rick

WoW!!
I didn't intend to come off as some "anti-open carrier". I am just trying to figure out why Virginia businesses, particularly in Northern VA have so many "No Gun" establishments. I live in South East PA, and travel north to Tannersville and I just don't see many open carriers. Well, just because I don't see them, does'nt mean they are not there, lol. I am 110% for all kinds of legal firearm carrying and a proud gun owner! I apologize if my post came off insensitive!

Rick

I did not take your post personally, neither was I offended, but I did read it as anti-OC. There are volumes of myths, half-truths, agendas, and outright lies "out there" about all aspects of the 2nd Amendment. The truth will amaze you , but you have to look for it and experience it for yourself. Many are unable to do this, many are unwilling. I am simply thrilled to see folks more carrying, and I don't care how.

My thoughts, although I quoted you, should have been more clearly addressed to a broader bunch of people. I misunderstood what you were trying to convey, and I likewise apologize.

I get around as much as I can, maybe we'll bump into each other one day, if so, first coffee/beer on me!

"Carry on" and fare well. Here's hoping we never need it.

This argument will never be won, carry as you please, in my state CC only, when in open carry state AZ I can do either.
I don't know that it will never be won, but for certain, it will never be finished. I just get tired of all the 1 posters that seemingly show up to post 1 message, typically spouting some anti-OC myth, and then they're never heard from again. But I guess it could be worse. They could stick around and keep spouting that same anti-OC crap like someone I shall not name. :wink:

If the bad guys know you have a gun they are going to shoot you first. So go a head and open carry I'll shoot at the bad guys as they are shooting at you.
Actually, what's more likely to happen is, the BG sees my gun, goes to pick on an apparently softer looking target. Comes across you, pulls gun, holds you up, takes your wallet and your gun, and maybe even beats the crap out of you, or shoots you for daring to carry concealed in the first place.

Have a nice day. :smile:

WoW!!

Rick

When you equate open carry with "in your face" how do you expect us to take your statements? 99% of the public that I encounter either don't notice or don't care about the gun on my belt. Not exactly "in your face". Maybe those business have more no guns signs because the anti-gun groups there are more "in their face" than the people who carry guns are...and maybe when businesses SEE how many of their customers carry guns, maybe they will think twice about the no guns signs. It sure worked out well for Starbucks.

Actually, what's more likely to happen is, the BG sees my gun, goes to pick on an apparently softer looking target. Comes across you, pulls gun, holds you up, takes your wallet and your gun, and maybe even beats the crap out of you, or shoots you for daring to carry concealed in the first place.

This is the guy who, according to you, will meekly turn tail and run when he sees your pistol but then turns into a vicious, aggressive animal with somebody else?? Keep dreaming, Al. The BG you described in the latter portion of your post is probably going to pistol-whip you from behind and take your weapon. Then where ya gonna be?? I'll tell you where - up a creek without a paddle. As a CCer I may very well be up that same creek.....but at least I'll still have my paddle.

BTW, Al....why do you continue to beat this horse that you pronounced "dead" quite a while ago??

WoW!!

Rick

Don't apologize to somebody who insults you. Keep posting. There are a group of keyboard thugs on this site who won't tolerate any POVs that differ from their own. They want to shout-down anyone else who dares to think differently. In the process they come accross as being very insecure and overly defensive - as if they're unsure as to their true motives for OCing (Showoffs? Sheepdogs? Wannabe LEOs??) and they need to beat their chests and hurl insults in order to reassure themselves.

BINGO!

Why does my reply have to have at least 15 characters?

I'm speculatin' here but I think lukem got tired of me saying " A Monkey" every time someone posted a "What do you never leave the house with out " thread

BTW does anyone know uif onlypill got the granite pizza yet?

This troll deserves two trolling posters.

images

If you're gonna do 2 posters you might as well get the full monty

I don't see any wrong in it especially when you can grab your weapon faster since it's not hiding under anything. Why would you want to mess with a guy or girl with a gun?

Time to change the user label

Why not change it to something more accurate like "B2's Personal Troll". I've actually had other posters PM me about your tendency to follow me around on these boards and make comments that have nothing to do with the thread's subject (i.e. trolling)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back