Reasons not to open carry

Police don't stop you when you open carry you have no idea what your talking about . I have open carried for about a year off and on. If you know the laws you are in control not the police

Now what...now I go somewhere else to spend my money.

What do you think the purpose of this thread was supposed to be?

Cmon man, you can advocate open carry without bashing cc. And visa versa.
Although, I can appreciate the frustration you must feel hearing all the same "reasons" why OC is evil.

I cc and I can assure you I don't have a superman complex. Although I did have a thing for Wonder Woman back in the late 70's.
Linda Carter hubba hubba.

It's ironic that the The concealed carry only crowd has made numerous references to open carriers as Wyatt Earp. I recently read Earp's biography and found some interesting things. When patrolling, he, his brothers and even the Mastersons always carried a hidden belly gun in addition to their side arms. They concealed it. Earp sometimes didn't carry a sidearm at all, just a concealed belly gun, which I found amazing considering the element they were dealing with. What balls! They tried to enforce laws prohibiting the carry of firearms within city limits without much success. The good citizens followed the law and the bad element began concealing or carrying a belly gun.

I watched a PBS special on Wyatt Earp the other night; they were talking about the OK Corral and said that during the fight one of the Clantons came running up to Earp, unarmed, and Earp grabbed him, shoved him to the side and said “The thing has commenced. Get to running or get to shooting.”

They were very impressed with Wyatt Earp’s restraint in not shooting the guy given this occurred in the middle of what we would call a firefight

and yes I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them. I've watched numerous youtube videos concerning police stopping OC'ers in places where it's legal to OC and it sure doesn't stop them from harassing them time after time, so why put yourself in the limelight to be hassled, check out the youtube videos, it might give you a different perspective, because I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police.

That's the big difference in our perspectives, mmckee1952. Your perspective comes from what you see on youtube and read on the internet. My perspective comes from what I experience in real life. Which perspective do you think is more accurate? You say, "I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police." Well, you know what.... the youtube videos are even just a tiny fraction of a percentage of people who open carry every day! 99% of open carriers go for years without having a negative police encounter. You would get really, really bored if thousands of people posted thousands of hours each of them open carrying with absolutely nothing different going on than anyone else around them.

You are a victim of the information age, mmckee1952. Because it's on the internet makes it true and commonplace to you. And I love this that you posted, "I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them." Wow. There is one difference between you carrying a gun, mmckee1952 and me carrying a gun. That difference is a few milimeters of cloth. Your gun is under your shirt, and my shirt is behind my gun. That's the difference. But I am far more dangerous to the people around me. Hmmmm....... where have I heard that my gun puts others in danger.... let's see, I belive that last time I read something like that was on the Brady Campaign website.

You can keep your youtube perspective, mmckee1952.... I will stick with my perspective that comes from real life.

and yes I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them. I've watched numerous youtube videos concerning police stopping OC'ers in places where it's legal to OC and it sure doesn't stop them from harassing them time after time, so why put yourself in the limelight to be hassled, check out the youtube videos, it might give you a different perspective, because I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police.

That's the big difference in our perspectives, mmckee1952. Your perspective comes from what you see on youtube and read on the internet. My perspective comes from what I experience in real life. Which perspective do you think is more accurate? You say, "I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police." Well, you know what.... the youtube videos are even a tiny fraction of the percentage of people who open carry every day! You would get really, really bored if thousands of people posted thousands of hours each of them open carrying with absolutely nothing different going on than anyone else around them.

You are a victim of the information age, mmckee1952. Because it's on the internet makes it true and commonplace to you. And I love this that you posted, "I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them." Wow. There is one difference between you carrying a gun, mmckee1952 and me carrying a gun. That difference is a few milimeters of cloth. Your gun is under your shirt, and my shirt is behind my gun. That's the difference. But I am far more dangerous to the people around me. Hmmmm....... where have I heard that my gun puts others in danger.... let's see, I belive that last time I read something like that was on the Brady Campaign website.

You can keep your youtube perspective, mmckee1952.... I will stick with my perspective that comes from real life.

Someone needs to tell him . Like your post sir

In my state, MO, open carry is perfectly legal. The law officers may not know that, but I do and can prove it.

This is true, and all of us who carry firearms should have a good understanding of the laws even if the police don't.

I believe open carry would be greatly fround upon by law enforcement and other citizens.

You can believe that, and depending on where you live it may be true. But generally, everywhere I have gone in the northwest, open carry has not been frowned upon by LEO and civilian people. YMMV, but it would seem at opencarry.org it would be the general consensus that open carry is not frowned upon pretty much everywhere with exception in places such as Chicago/NYC/etc.

Mostly, I believe, because they don't know the law. People see a man open carrying a firearm and automatically think he's got to be breaking a law.

Sadly this is really the main reason people call the police on an open carry...somehow "ignorance is no excuse" does not apply to LEO's or people who are anti-gun. What better way to slap the ignorance out of someone than to show them we do still have rights. It's too bad a good portion of people do not feel it's worth their time to fight off the ignorance that drowns the 2A.

Police would question you often, and you would probably spend a lot of time in handcuffs.

Not true, the majority (if not all) of open carriers, especially those who have taken video of confrontations, do not get put in cuffs. Questioned sure, detained sure, but cuffed? Rarely if at all! Also, that is a problem in the police department and not the open carrier, the solution does not lie in concealing, but rewriting police procedure.

Also, open carry v.s concealed carry, it seems less likely for someone to disarm you if they can't see, or don't know your carrying. It seems to me, if you open carry in public, it wouldn't take much for someone to get their hands on your gun...which would create an unsafe situation. My Opinion.

This also is not materializing in real life. The majority of "gun grabs" occur after the firearm is drawn, this is true for LE and civilian. I have yet to hear that an open carry civilian has had their firearm taken from them when the firearm was still holstered.

Your post is pretty hard to understand....so maybe I misunderstood what your feelings were.

I haven't come back sooner because I wanted to read the pro's & con's that have been listed here so far and I did receive the responses I figured I'ed get just about 50/50 on the subject, and yes I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them.

50/50? Seriously...maybe you didn't read your own thread...but it's far from 50/50.

I've watched numerous youtube videos concerning police stopping OC'ers in places where it's legal to OC and it sure doesn't stop them from harassing them time after time, so why put yourself in the limelight to be hassled, check out the youtube videos, it might give you a different perspective, because I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police.

Those activists do it so that someday we don't get hassled. Hiding from the problem doesn't make the problem go away.

And to say you never recieve a commnet or a questional look while OC'ing is false, the person who is OC'ing stands out like a sore thumb, I've seen quite a few here in VA and if I can observe them that quickly, I'm quite sure the one's who are up to no good see them even before I did.

You can not tell other people who have open carried, in other parts of the country, what they have or had not happen to them. In your case, it sounds like YOUR elitist mentality is the problem. I'm sure with your attitude, you stick out like a sore thumb far worse.

An extremely biased concealed carrier is coming to a forum to look for "un-baised" responses so he can try and control his friends rights. Sickening.

Someone needs to tell him . Like your post sir

Dang it. You didn't give me a chance to edit. I was going to add:

Police don't stop you when you open carry you have no idea what your talking about . I have open carried for about a year off and on. If you know the laws you are in control not the police

Now, come on, justxboxin.... you know if it is on youtube it has to be true and happen to everybody!

Cmon man, you can advocate open carry without bashing cc. And visa versa.
Although, I can appreciate the frustration you must feel hearing all the same "reasons" why OC is evil.

I cc and I can assure you I don't have a superman complex. Although I did have a thing for Wonder Woman back in the late 70's.
Linda Carter hubba hubba.

Though navy and my responses are a bit satirical, we are not bashing CC. If I did criticize a method or reason, I tried not to generalize everyone, but focused it down to a specific person or small group within the CC crowd. At least our satire is based on a little bit of truth behind it, and not completely unsubstantiated fear mongering.

If you can quote and point out where and why you think I have bashed CC, I would like to defend my words, and I am in a mood for a good debate.

People against open carry seem like atheists to me, like atheists it's not enough that they don't believe but because they don't believe no one else should either.

I have a friend who want's to open carry and I've tried to talk him out of it, because I think it would make him a traget to anyone who might be thinking about doing anything unlawful near him. I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

There is data that says otherwise:
"60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed."

Link Removed

Once again, I will never understand the bickering over open carry vs concealed carry. Just can't wrap my head around it. :fie:

I have a friend who want's to open carry and I've tried to talk him out of it, because I think it would make him a traget to anyone who might be thinking about doing anything unlawful near him. I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

None. I CC about 85% of the time, OC the other 15% but there is no reason not to OC. If you can do it legally, and want to. DO IT! Most criminals don't want to mess with legally armed citizens, We as gun owners push that fact all the time so saying that OC puts you MORE at risk cancels that one out. If a criminal is going to do something, their going to do it. I'd say there's a greater chance someone OCing would be a deterrent than encouraging a criminal to do something stupid. I'm not sure that any statistical percentage exists but I'm pretty sure were much more likely to get killed going ANYWHERE just driving in our cars, than being killed or shot by a criminal because we were OCing. We also need to remind people we have rights, and choices on how we exercise them. OCers do that everyday. CCers do not. When I carry full size guns, I typically OC. Everytime I get stupid looks from people I know are walking away from me out of some BS fear, I know thats one more person that needed "Reminding". I'll never understand why many gun owners, people who strongly believe in rights discourage OC.

That's the big difference in our perspectives, mmckee1952. Your perspective comes from what you see on youtube and read on the internet. My perspective comes from what I experience in real life. Which perspective do you think is more accurate? You say, "I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police." Well, you know what.... the youtube videos are even just a tiny fraction of a percentage of people who open carry every day! 99% of open carriers go for years without having a negative police encounter. You would get really, really bored if thousands of people posted thousands of hours each of them open carrying with absolutely nothing different going on than anyone else around them.

Are you trying to tell me that your totaly aware of EVERYBODY around you when your at the supermarket? I guarantee you that you are not 100% of the time, and it's at that time your open to someone at your back reaching and grabing your gun. As far as your youtube quote, I've spent the last 8 years CC'ing and 20 years in the military service, so my perspective is to me, correct, when you OC your just a target for someone who has you pegged and you do stand out like a sore thumb to everybody with eyes. If you can go to the LEO Encounters on this webb site and read some of the OC's problems other people have had concerning OC'ing with LEO's.

Last edited:
If Texas had open carry I would, just spent a week in AZ open carried, never heard one word except from an Arizona Highway patrol guy while fueling, his words "nice piece" Love the last free State in America, no sheep there, will work for open carry in Texas.

Are you trying to tell me that your totaly aware of EVERYBODY around you when your at the supermarket? I guarantee you that you are not 100% of the time, and it's at that time your open to someone at your back reaching and grabing your gun. As far as your youtube quote, I've spent the last 8 years CC'ing and 20 years in the military service, so my perspective is to me, correct, when you OC your just a target for someone who has you pegged and you do stand out like a sore thumb to everybody with eyes. If you can go to the LEO Encounters on this webb site and read some of the OC's problems other people have had concerning OC'ing with LEO's.

Its called weapon retention and yes when I carry open or concealed I am aware of the people around me.

So your 8 years of CC'ing makes you an expert on OC when you likely have never tried it in daily life? And thank you for your 20 years of military service. I went over 28 a few months ago. This isn't exactly my first rodeo that I showed up to yesterday. I find it amusing the most vocal opponents to OC have never done it on a regular basis, but they feel qualified to tell us that do what WILL happen.

So your 8 years of CC'ing makes you an expert on OC when you likely have never tried it in daily life? And thank you for your 20 years of military service. I went over 28 a few months ago. This isn't exactly my first rodeo that I showed up to yesterday. I find it amusing the most vocal opponents to OC have never done it on a regular basis, but they feel qualified to tell us that do what WILL happen.

LCDR I also thank you for your service, I was a AIC and had another five years of sea time in my future and I had been away from my family long enough, so I pulled the pin. I supose that you OC and have been doing so. I don't OC just because I can't be aware of everybody around me 100% of the time and I really don't think anyone out there can be, I want to be hidden in plain site, that way I can in some small way be in control of the area around me if something hit's the fan.

I don't think anyone here qualifies or have the experience to say what a criminal would or would not do. Unless you're a criminal.

With that said, If I was a criminal, using my perspective...

1. I would not risk my life trying to grab some guy or gal's gun from their holster. There's plenty of unarmed folks willing to bend over at the sight of a plastic knife.

2. If I was going to rob a place, I would make sure no one was armed and I would not want to kill someone for a few hundred bucks. Not worth cops being really up your butt.

There's plenty more but for sake of time I'll just bring up those two points.

Now if you advocate that you'll be shot first and that your gun is in danger of being grabbed. I can assume that if you were a criminal, that's what you would do. Shoot those with a gun first and grab a civilians openly carried gun from behind.

All I have to say ask is Why? Makes no sense what so ever when there are so many liberals and sheeple to rob from??? Do you take the long way to work? Would you rather take the busy, jammed highway and not use the car pool lane when you have more than 2 people? Do you like fishing with a spear when you are already starving? Why would any one take the hard road when there are so many easy down hill routes? Criminals this dumb will not last very long. Their first time has a very, very, good chance of being their last.

I can't help but feel that criminals out there are so much smarter than many of those in the carry community.

I say if you carry and worry bout someone grabbing your gun or shooting you first... why are you not worried about getting in a car crash or your house burns down while you sleep or the million other dangers that have a much higher possibility of happening?

I open carry for deterrence and its far more comfortable. I conceal when I wear a jacket or coat because its more comfortable. End of my reasoning. Sucks to type on a phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back