Reasons not to open carry

What is wrong with open carry? I conceal when the weather is cold and open when it's hot out. Kind of hard to conceal a full sized Sig P220 in light summer clothes. I don't like small guns and I will not wear a t-shirt that is 2 sizes to large or a pant that is large enough to accommodate a iwb holster. I dress like I normally do "THEN" put on my gun.

Hassles.... Ehhh... Eventually cops will know that is the same dude with a gun and sheeple will realize the cops can't do squat coz even after they call, you're still carrying.

Targeted first, perhaps, but there was a case in Minneapolis where a concealed carrier was attacked and got his gun taken because I bet you anything he seemed to be helpless and/or unarmed.

Then again, I remember a story about an open carrier who got robbed of his gun at gun point also.

So I guess it all comes down to personal preference as each type of carry has it's own unique pro's and con's. I am for both and I choose which way I want to carry depending on how I dress.

Most important thing about carrying.... Situational Awareness...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know I'm gonna get a hard time but I just can't see any advantage in Open Carry (unless it's the only legal option).

I don't want to advertise that I'm carrying.

I don't need the validation or approval of others.

I don't want to be a target for any anti-gun liberal who can see my pistol and lie and call 911 saying I threatened him.

I just don't want to draw ANY attention to myself at all! I want to be invisible. After I leave if someone says: Who was that fat guy?" I want everybody else to say: "What fat guy. I didn't see any fat guy!"

And I definitely don't want to be the 1st guy shot during a robbery or other altercation.

I'd tell him if he's at the bank when an armed robbery starts, he'll be the first one shot.

In Massachusetts, there are no laws against OC, but if you do, you can get arressted for disturbing the peace.

The only thing you may have in your favor is the element of surprise.

I know I'm gonna get a hard time but I just can't see any advantage in Open Carry (unless it's the only legal option).

Yup you are. :)

I don't want to advertise that I'm carrying.

So in other words, you want to advertise you are unarmed. Who do criminals choose again?

I don't need the validation or approval of others.

Neither do I. Then again it is the fear of others disapproval that sounds more like why people don't open carry...not the other way around.

I don't want to be a target for any anti-gun liberal who can see my pistol and lie and call 911 saying I threatened him.

This IS a possibility that has happened to another forum member here. Keep your trap shut, let your lawyer do his job, and watch freedom ring.

I just don't want to draw ANY attention to myself at all! I want to be invisible. After I leave if someone says: Who was that fat guy?" I want everybody else to say: "What fat guy. I didn't see any fat guy!"

The majority of society doesn't even realize I am open carrying...they aren't the ones we are worried about though. Criminals are aware, they are looking for an easy victim, they will notice the "fat guy" that is unarmed and unaware. They will notice that I have a gun, and they will choose an unarmed easy victim over me.

And I definitely don't want to be the 1st guy shot during a robbery or other altercation.

This would be nice if it were true. We have challenged MULTIPLE times to go find a story where an open carrier was shot first during a robbery. Open carry has been going on in states such as Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, and many more states for DECADES (sorry bikenut for stealing your thunder). This challenge will go unanswered yet again though...just like every time before.

I'd tell him if he's at the bank when an armed robbery starts, he'll be the first one shot.

In Massachusetts, there are no laws against OC, but if you do, you can get arressted for disturbing the peace.

Again, this would be a reason if it were true. Alas it is not, and it is just fear mongering bull**** that brady lite members like to spread across the gunwebs. Massachusetts has been known to arrest people for carrying umbrellas and is home of the infamous RichS...if you live in MA the only advice I have is move, run, and never look back.

The below comments are offered as MY REASONS. I know and understand the obvious disadvantages as may be and have been listed before me.
1. I open carry with my 1911 full size (CDP II) in it’s Bianchi thumb break holster,

Why?

It is a beautiful thing for the eye to behold; folks have one of several if any comments,
a. Hey, your gun is cocked,
b. Hey, what are you packing?
Alternatively,
a. Cop/Police/LEO – Much muzzle flip with that leg son?

2. Concealed carry with Glock 22 in very high and tight rise with shirt over all,

Why?

Serious events that 1. a, b not covered, want to be discrete and the event/area is a somewhat questionable area/arena.

I'd tell tohim if he's at the bank when an armed robbery starts, he'll be the first one shot.

I'm just curious. Would you also tell him the truth...that nobody can find any example of that happening in real life? Or would you just leave it with your unsubstantiated rumor?

You also don't get to throw as many surprise parties when you open carry.

Open carries usually don't look down on others...kind of like the way you do with your "friend"...so that's a downside for all the elitist's out there

I'm sure I will come up with more throughout the day.

By open carrying, you are less likely to get to play superhero and purge the world of an evildoer using your "element of surprise."

With concealed carry, you can pat yourself on the back about how good you are about concealing your gun when nobody notices. With open carry, all you can do is blame everyone else's lack of situational awareness.

Wow, that sure didn't take long!

Why the acrimony toward cc'ers?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Open carry WILL increase the likelihood of a law enforcement officer committing a criminal act against you; or at a minimum harrassing you, oh I mean having a consensual encouter with you, needlessly.

To be fair, it can't really be consenual and harrassment at the same time

If I was McKee's friend I wouldn't open carry just so I wouldn't have to listen to him gripe

Other than the harassment you may receive from the Police. If a place of business has a sign "No Guns Allowed". Now what?
I like concealed, Nobody knows.

Other than the harassment you may receive from the Police. If a place of business has a sign "No Guns Allowed". Now what?

Now what...now I go somewhere else to spend my money.

You also don't get to throw as many surprise parties when you open carry.

Open carries usually don't look down on others...kind of like the way you do with your "friend"...so that's a downside for all the elitist's out there

I'm sure I will come up with more throughout the day.

By open carrying, you are less likely to get to play superhero and purge the world of an evildoer using your "element of surprise."

With concealed carry, you can pat yourself on the back about how good you are about concealing your gun when nobody notices. With open carry, all you can do is blame everyone else's lack of situational awareness.

Wow, that sure didn't take long!

Why the acrimony toward cc'ers?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

What do you think the purpose of this thread was supposed to be?

I love the element of surprise argument. Here's why. The concealed carry only crowd has made numerous references to open carriers as John Wayne, Wyatt Earp and wild west gunfighters. And yet, the truth is, the open carrier relies upon his gun as a visible deterrent realizing that the vast majority of criminals encountered on the street are looking for an easy target and quick score with little chance of getting caught. Attacking a person with enough cahones to openly carry a gun just doesn't fit that goal. 99.5% of the rest of the public does appear to meet that goal, however. The open carrier's goal is to never have to actively use their gun.

The concealed carrier is relying upon their quick draw skills....that once the attack has already begun, they will be able to retrieve their gun from concealment and fire and hit their target, all with the speed necessary to do so before the criminal (who already has deployed their element of surprise to gain the upper hand to begin with) can react.

So, really.... who is acting more like John Wayne, Wyatt Earp and the wild west gunfighter? In reality it is the concealed carrier whose ONLY option is to play quick draw against a criminal.

So, you think it is a fair trade? The property owner does not respect your right to carry a firearm, so, in turn, you will not respect their right to control what comes on or stays off their property?

In my state, MO, open carry is perfectly legal. The law officers may not know that, but I do and can prove it. I believe open carry would be greatly fround upon by law enforcement and other citizens. Mostly, I believe, because they don't know the law. People see a man open carrying a firearm and automatically think he's got to be breaking a law. Police would question you often, and you would probably spend a lot of time in handcuffs. Also, open carry v.s concealed carry, it seems less likely for someone to disarm you if they can't see, or don't know your carrying. It seems to me, if you open carry in public, it wouldn't take much for someone to get their hands on your gun...which would create an unsafe situation. My Opinion.

I have a friend who want's to open carry and I've tried to talk him out of it, because I think it would make him a traget to anyone who might be thinking about doing anything unlawful near him. I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

I think that I would simply honor my friends choice....

I haven't come back sooner because I wanted to read the pro's & con's that have been listed here so far and I did receive the responses I figured I'ed get just about 50/50 on the subject, and yes I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them. I've watched numerous youtube videos concerning police stopping OC'ers in places where it's legal to OC and it sure doesn't stop them from harassing them time after time, so why put yourself in the limelight to be hassled, check out the youtube videos, it might give you a different perspective, because I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police. And to say you never recieve a commnet or a questional look while OC'ing is false, the person who is OC'ing stands out like a sore thumb, I've seen quite a few here in VA and if I can observe them that quickly, I'm quite sure the one's who are up to no good see them even before I did.

I love the element of surprise argument. Here's why. The concealed carry only crowd has made numerous references to open carriers as John Wayne, Wyatt Earp and wild west gunfighters. And yet, the truth is, the open carrier relies upon his gun as a visible deterrent realizing that the vast majority of criminals encountered on the street are looking for an easy target and quick score with little chance of getting caught. Attacking a person with enough cahones to openly carry a gun just doesn't fit that goal. 99.5% of the rest of the public does appear to meet that goal, however. The open carrier's goal is to never have to actively use their gun.

The concealed carrier is relying upon their quick draw skills....that once the attack has already begun, they will be able to retrieve their gun from concealment and fire and hit their target, all with the speed necessary to do so before the criminal (who already has deployed their element of surprise to gain the upper hand to begin with) can react.

So, really.... who is acting more like John Wayne, Wyatt Earp and the wild west gunfighter? In reality it is the concealed carrier whose ONLY option is to play quick draw against a criminal.

So, you think it is a fair trade? The property owner does not respect your right to carry a firearm, so, in turn, you will not respect their right to control what comes on or stays off their property?
It's ironic that the The concealed carry only crowd has made numerous references to open carriers as Wyatt Earp. I recently read Earp's biography and found some interesting things. When patrolling, he, his brothers and even the Mastersons always carried a hidden belly gun in addition to their side arms. They concealed it. Earp sometimes didn't carry a sidearm at all, just a concealed belly gun, which I found amazing considering the element they were dealing with. What balls! They tried to enforce laws prohibiting the carry of firearms within city limits without much success. The good citizens followed the law and the bad element began concealing or carrying a belly gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back