Reasons not to open carry

mmckee1952

I have a friend who want's to open carry and I've tried to talk him out of it, because I think it would make him a traget to anyone who might be thinking about doing anything unlawful near him. I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

May I direct you to one of a hundreds of threads on the subject-

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

Most of what you hear about the negatives for OC are not based on actual "FACTS". I say if OC is legal in your state & your friend wants to OC, you may need to but out. Te only legitimate reason NOT to OC when it is legal in your state is; "How comfortable one may be"

OC is not for everyone. But, it is not anymore dangerous than CC.

-

I have a friend who want's to open carry and I've tried to talk him out of it, because I think it would make him a traget to anyone who might be thinking about doing anything unlawful near him. I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

If you were truly interested in finding opinions opposing OC, I am sure that with just a little searching you would have been able to find plenty of them over in the OC forum.

Or is this just a (not so) subtle attempt at an OC bashing thread?

ETA: tcox, thanks for the link to Mainsail's article on OC. That is perhaps the most well-thought out, logically constructed article about OC that I have ever read. Copied and filed for posterity.

Open carry WILL increase the likelihood of a law enforcement officer committing a criminal act against you; or at a minimum harrassing you, oh I mean having a consensual encouter with you, needlessly. Some areas, more than others. That has been proven many times.

Also, open carry removes the joy some people feel at having the opportunity to display a concealed carry permit and tell a law enforcement officer about their concealed gun.

Normally when you open carry you don't get to wear a ninja costume either...that sucks a lot too.

On the plus side you get to wear a cowboy rambo outfit.

You also don't get to throw as many surprise parties when you open carry.

Open carries usually don't look down on others...kind of like the way you do with your "friend"...so that's a downside for all the elitist's out there

I'm sure I will come up with more throughout the day.

By open carrying, you are less likely to get to play superhero and purge the world of an evildoer using your "element of surprise."

With concealed carry, you can pat yourself on the back about how good you are about concealing your gun when nobody notices. With open carry, all you can do is blame everyone else's lack of situational awareness.

I see no negative in OC except the occasional harassment from LEO and sheeple.

It's not for everyone, I've tried it and was a nervous wreck which led me back to CC after a few hours.

Let your friend try it and see how he/she reacts to it. Ultimately it's his/her choice. Support it instead of discouraging it!

You should just take a copy of the Constitution and burn it in front of him and tell him that is what you think of Open Carrying.

When you open carry you don't get to have an excuse to buy another wardrobe of oversize'd clothing and matching shoes...

When you open carry you actually have to look up the laws yourself and know where you can legally carry or not. Concealed carry is easier because you only have to blindly believe what your CCW instructor says.

There are ONLY two reasons not to open carry:
  1. It's illegal where you plan to carry.
  2. You don't want to.
My reason is #2.

If your friend wants to open carry, #2 doesn't apply.

Therefore, if it's not illegal there's no reason for him NOT to open carry.

I Open Carry in Wisconsin and it does not cause any alarm among the LEO or people that I have met. It is a good conversation starter, and you meet a lot of CCW Licence holders. I think it really is a personal choice, as long as it is legal in that State. It is a lot more comfortable to have your full size semi-auto on your thigh, than in a bellyband! I live in ILL-ANOY, but LOVE WISCONSIN!!!

I don't think this thread is going the way our anti-open carry prejudiced OP was hoping for.

I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

Sir, can I ask which answers were you looking for? Were you looking for unbiased replies? Or were you looking for negative reasons that you could suggest to your friend against open carry? You have received numerous unbiased replies so far....

I don't think this thread is going the way our anti-open carry prejudiced OP was hoping for.

I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

Sir, can I ask which answers were you looking for? Were you looking for unbiased replies? Or were you looking for negative reasons that you could suggest to your friend against open carry? You have received numerous unbiased replies so far....

Lol navy love these threads.

When you open carry people tend to be very nice to you...No one wants that!!

You're opening a HUUUUGE can of worms. Better duck because the fan is turning and the guys are collecting a bucket of $h!t to thow into it.

Let your friend do what he's comfortable with. If OC is legal and he feels it suits him better than CC leave him be. Don't try to change his mind. There is no absolute argument on this. Both have their applications and a place in society and the law.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back