Reasons not to open carry

Actually, I think not being able to be "ON" 24/7/365 or being able to have 360^ of SA every second you are out & about makes an EXCELLENT argument in favor of OC'ing. Chances are good that if I miss a BG looking me over, the BG will NOT miss my direct intent to fight back that is on my hip.

I've walked both sides of the street. My background criminal justice with a heavy major in criminal psychology, AND having lived the nefarious life as a thug & bully before I saw the light & crossed back to the right side of the street, I can tell you BGs are pretty darn detailed about sizing up their victims. I can also say with near certainty, choosing a victim that is likely to fight back is a huge, I mean HUGE red flag that will send all but the most hardened criminal down the road looking for easier pickens.

-

I have a friend who want's to open carry and I've tried to talk him out of it, because I think it would make him a traget to anyone who might be thinking about doing anything unlawful near him. I had thought to ask the open carry forun here but I really don't think I would recieve a un-biased reply. What I'm asking is what negative reasons are out there, that I can sudjest to my friend.

Open carrying is really only appropriate in certain rare instances. In all other cases CCW is more appropriate.

In the federal and state forests and parks that allow it, it is the most appropriate, since in those cases humankind is not alone at the top of the food chain, and a bear or lion could decide to have you for lunch. Also there are 2 legged predators roaming the woods, as in the California Trailside Killer.

In town, your best bet is CCW. Because what is out of sight is out of mind. O/C in town makes too many people nervous. Plus every gang banger who sees your weapon is going to be driven by an irresistible urge to take it away. Same is true with the police. Same everything just a different gang.

At night, on your own property or in your own neighborhood, if there is a disturbance, and you have gone to check it out, then open carrying is also the most appropriate, since it is late, and since everyone should be in bed already. So anyone you are likely to encounter will be a bad guy anyway, and you need to be able to draw and shoot quickly or else you are going to get your azz whupped like Zimmerman did.

Actually, I think not being able to be "ON" 24/7/365 or being able to have 360^ of SA every second you are out & about makes an EXCELLENT argument in favor of OC'ing. Chances are good that if I miss a BG looking me over, the BG will NOT miss my direct intent to fight back that is on my hip.

I've walked both sides of the street. My background criminal justice with a heavy major in criminal psychology, AND having lived the nefarious life as a thug & bully before I saw the light & crossed back to the right side of the street, I can tell you BGs are pretty darn detailed about sizing up their victims. I can also say with near certainty, choosing a victim that is likely to fight back is a huge, I mean HUGE red flag that will send all but the most hardened criminal down the road looking for easier pickens.

-

It does not make an excellent argument for OC, it makes an excellent argument for CCW.

I don't think anyone here qualifies or have the experience to say what a criminal would or would not do. Unless you're a criminal.

With that said, If I was a criminal, using my perspective...

1. I would not risk my life trying to grab some guy or gal's gun from their holster. There's plenty of unarmed folks willing to bend over at the sight of a plastic knife.

2. If I was going to rob a place, I would make sure no one was armed and I would not want to kill someone for a few hundred bucks. Not worth cops being really up your butt.

There's plenty more but for sake of time I'll just bring up those two points.

Now if you advocate that you'll be shot first and that your gun is in danger of being grabbed. I can assume that if you were a criminal, that's what you would do. Shoot those with a gun first and grab a civilians openly carried gun from behind.

All I have to say ask is Why? Makes no sense what so ever when there are so many liberals and sheeple to rob from??? Do you take the long way to work? Would you rather take the busy, jammed highway and not use the car pool lane when you have more than 2 people? Do you like fishing with a spear when you are already starving? Why would any one take the hard road when there are so many easy down hill routes? Criminals this dumb will not last very long. Their first time has a very, very, good chance of being their last.

I can't help but feel that criminals out there are so much smarter than many of those in the carry community.

I say if you carry and worry bout someone grabbing your gun or shooting you first... why are you not worried about getting in a car crash or your house burns down while you sleep or the million other dangers that have a much higher possibility of happening?

I open carry for deterrence and its far more comfortable. I conceal when I wear a jacket or coat because its more comfortable. End of my reasoning. Sucks to type on a phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It is actually quite easy to grab someone's gun if they are not carefully protecting it.

LCDR I also thank you for your service, I was a AIC and had another five years of sea time in my future and I had been away from my family long enough, so I pulled the pin. I supose that you OC and have been doing so. I don't OC just because I can't be aware of everybody around me 100% of the time and I really don't think anyone out there can be, I want to be hidden in plain site, that way I can in some small way be in control of the area around me if something hit's the fan.

Great point McKee. You obviously have better awareness and a better sense of your natural limitatiosn than these Wild West OC cowboys.

Its called weapon retention and yes when I carry open or concealed I am aware of the people around me.

Exactly right, you need to be. No one should ever get within 5 ft of you for any reason. 10 ft is better. 20 ft is ideal. Unless they are your lover, and you trust them.

Hey everybody!

840100_LA_trolls_norway.jpg

Shoobee is back! With his (or her?) usual nonsense.

Link Removed

1. shoobee

Usually derogatory. A tourist at the (New Jersey) shore. He can often be identified by his pasty pallor and inappropriate clothing, e.g. black knee-socks with bobos (inexpensive footwear), plaid shorts, and a shirt emblazoned with "I'm With Stupid." Etymology: said to derive from the "shoebox" in which shoobees once packed their lunches. Alternative etymology: from the refrain of popular Philadelphia music of 1950's and 1960's (example: "shoobee doo-wop"). Often shortened to shoob.

Our shoobee certainly lives up to the definition!

-

Good post, tc.

OC is just fine wherever it's legal. The "OMG, they'll grab your gun!" argument will always persist, in large part due to the misgivings of those who've been properly trained/educated. OC is simply another option, just like CCW. Either mode is susceptible to disarming attempts and that can be addressed with the correct training.

I like having the option (I live where I can OC and CCW), it makes life a little easier and the exercise of my 2A rights a little more enjoyable.

I need to go to the store and get some more troll spray...I don't think my one can in the beginning was enough...this thread needs to be evacuated and fumigated at this point.

Exactly right, you need to be. No one should ever get within 5 ft of you for any reason. 10 ft is better. 20 ft is ideal. Unless they are your lover, and you trust them.

You've got to be kidding me, 5ft, 10ft, 20ft, when ever you go out can you really get at least 5ft from other people, you must never go out, it's unbelievable to think like this.

If you are this guy chances are 100% of the time, my four year old is smarter then you

If your four year old is so smart, why don't they log in here and post there observations? See it doesn't sound really nice does it? Keep the put down's out of here.

I'll take concealed carry anytime, don't need people worried about me carrying a gun or curious people asking what kind of a gun it is. Conceal and walk free of bothersome people.

:dance3:

I'm not in law enforcement...I would rather be anonymous when I carry. But if I need to defend myself or my family I have my weapon. I don't like advertising nor do I have any sticker/ logos on my vehicles...there are a lot of people out there that would challenge you if you open carry, not worth the aggravation!!

"Now what" in Ohio is you CAN'T go in, open OR concealed, since it's a crime to do so.

Here in Oregon its not a crime unless you get caught and they ask you to leave and you do not.
Many Malls here have signs for no weapons. It will not stop me from entering when concealed.
If I got caught then I would be asked to leave and that's all. If I do not, then they can call the police.
I am not going to ignore the mall because the Landlord does not like Guns.

If you are this guy chances are 100% of the time, my four year old is smarter then you

If your four year old is so smart, why don't they log in here and post there observations? See it doesn't sound really nice does it? Keep the put down's out of here.

Guess you don't read a lot of posts and responses around these parts lol .... Otis is very smart loves Obama and you can tell he made it to the eighth grade .

there are a lot of people out there that would challenge you if you open carry, not worth the aggravation!!

Respectfully, Master Chief, I must ask... are you speaking from first-hand experience? You have open carried, were challenged by a lot of people, so that made you decide it wasn't worth the aggravation?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back