Reasons not to open carry

What you guys call bothersome and aggravating, I call opportunity. Once, just once, has an opportunity not lead to a positive outcome.

"Now what" in Ohio is you CAN'T go in, open OR concealed, since it's a crime to do so.

Here in Oregon its not a crime unless you get caught and they ask you to leave and you do not.
Many Malls here have signs for no weapons. It will not stop me from entering when concealed.
If I got caught then I would be asked to leave and that's all. If I do not, then they can call the police.
I am not going to ignore the mall because the Landlord does not like Guns.

So basically you are going to disrespect the landlord's private property rules to not have weapons allowed, on HIS property?

I guess we can chalk that up as another reason to not open carry, it doesn't allow you to disrespect people as often.

If you are this guy chances are 100% of the time, my four year old is smarter then you

True, but we've also established that your four year old is smarter than you so your not setting the bar very high.

Seriously, I don’t open carry. I don’t have anything against it I just don’t dress in a way that accommodates it and I have no interest in changing my wardrobe just so I can.

That said if you choose to open carry that’s your business and I would never try to make that decision for a friend on mine.

I especially wouldn’t do so if my input hadn’t been explicitly solicited. Most people don’t give a damn about your (generic) opinion if they ask for it and they sure as Hell aren’t going to listen if they didn’t.

You're far more likely to make an enemy than a point.

Wow, read all 9 pages of this and not a single serious response. Guess you can tell your buddy whatever you want but in the end....to each his own?

My turn to troll...only time I DON'T open carry is when it's snowing. No need to freeze up the action, y'know?

True, but we've also established that your four year old is smarter than you so your not setting the bar very high.

Seriously, I don’t open carry. I don’t have anything against it I just don’t dress in a way that accommodates it and I have no interest in changing my wardrobe just so I can.

That said if you choose to open carry that’s your business and I would never try to make that decision for a friend on mine.

I especially wouldn’t do so if my input hadn’t been explicitly solicited. Most people don’t give a damn about your (generic) opinion if they ask for it and they sure as Hell aren’t going to listen if they didn’t.

You're far more likely to make an enemy than a point.

I guess I forgot to say he did request my input because he hasn't ever carried a gun and also he knew I had CC'ed for awhile and I've been around gun's since I recieved my first gun at the age of 12 and i'm 60 now, I was given a single shot lever action 22LR, which I still have today and my 6 yr old grandson shoot's on my 22LR gun range on my property, all you can do is give you honest and truthful opinion to all questions asked of you, be it accecped or rejected it's up to the person who asked your opinion.

You've got to be kidding me, 5ft, 10ft, 20ft, when ever you go out can you really get at least 5ft from other people, you must never go out, it's unbelievable to think like this.

Sit someplace or stand someplace where the other people are not.

Don't walk in crowds.

Interval is your friend. Read Bruce Lee.

I haven't come back sooner because I wanted to read the pro's & con's that have been listed here so far and I did receive the responses I figured I'ed get just about 50/50 on the subject, and yes I still think OC be it legal in most states is by far more dangerous for the person who is OC'ing and the people around them.

Please provide cites and/or links to incidents where open carriers and/or those around them were put in more dangerous positions because of OC. If you cannot provide such proof that OC actually is a dangerous practice then all you are stating is your opinion.

If you are stating an opinion that is fine... if you are trying to tell your friend that your opinion is fact without actual factual proof.. you are not being a friend by doing such a disservice.

I've watched numerous youtube videos concerning police stopping OC'ers in places where it's legal to OC and it sure doesn't stop them from harassing them time after time, so why put yourself in the limelight to be hassled, check out the youtube videos, it might give you a different perspective, because I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police.

Why would anyone not exercise a right because they are afraid that if they do they will be hassled? That is how folks lose rights because if people are afraid to do it then those pushing the fear................... win. And we ALL lose rights.

Is it legal? If it is then it is the cops who are in the wrong for hassling legal open carriers in the hopes of stopping them (and anyone else who hears about it and is also intimidated from seeing cops overstepping their authority on youtube) from exercising their rights.

Actually, anyone who advocates not exercising a right because the cops might hassle them are helping to destroy rights by spreading fear.

And to say you never recieve a commnet or a questional look while OC'ing is false, the person who is OC'ing stands out like a sore thumb, I've seen quite a few here in VA and if I can observe them that quickly, I'm quite sure the one's who are up to no good see them even before I did.
I hope that every criminal up to no good sees my openly carried sidearm and takes note of the fact that, unlike the concealed carrier, it is obvious I have the capability to fight back. If that causes all but the determined criminals to decide to leave me alone and wait to attack the next guy who doesn't have a gun in plain sight, the guy who looks exactly like all the other unarmed potential victims, then my openly carried gun has done it's job of protecting me from that criminal... and unlike the concealed carrier the criminal did attack because he looked like all the other unarmed victims... I didn't have to use my gun at all.

I've seen many an argument against open carry...yet when those who offer those arguments are asked to provide actual factual proof to back up their claims that open carry is more dangerous than concealed carry all that is ever heard is.......... crickets. Show me the facts... and since open carry has been legal and practiced in ... say... Arizona... for DECADES! it should be easy to find a plethora of factual cases where the open carrier was targeted by gang bangers... or made those around him in more danger than a concealed carrier... or was shot first...

So... to all those CC'ers bashing OC.... man up and provide actual facts!

And when the argument that open carry isn't worth it because the cops will hassle you is offered... that is nothing more than saying the fear of the cops is more important than the exercising of rights.

Seems to me that it would be more honorable when a friend of mine asked for input about something to try very hard to offer actual facts and let him make up his own mind instead of just offering a personal opinion hoping to make up his mind for him.

Sit someplace or stand someplace where the other people are not.

Don't walk in crowds.

Interval is your friend. Read Bruce Lee.

Parden me BUT WHERE IS THAT PLACE your talking about, sure isn't anyplace I know of, and if there are places like this, then WHY do you OC, if there aren't any people around??????

If you want to read about a open carry problem visit the open carry site here and view the Man arrested for Open Carry in Arbys - Louisville Ky post and you'll see there are negative actions to OC'ing out there, all you have to do is do a little research on this forum and LEO encounters site here.

If you want to read about a open carry problem visit the open carry site here and view the Man arrested for Open Carry in Arbys - Louisville Ky post and you'll see there are negative actions to OC'ing out there, all you have to do is do a little research on this forum and LEO encounters site here.

You do realize that thousands of people, if not millions, open carry every day across this country? So, compare how many bad experiences there are with the millions of man-hours of open carry that happen every day. There is probably a bigger percentage of people who get illegally searched during traffic stops every day than the percentage of open carriers who are hassled. Hardly anybody posts every time they open carry and nothing happens. That would get really, really, really boring very quickly.

Excuse me? Open carry problem? That is an LEO problem. Do you normally blame the victims, and call the victims the problem? Are you one of those "she was asking to get raped, look what she was wearing, don't blame the criminal he couldn't help himself" kind of guys? If anything it's the concealed carry badge bunnies that are at the root of the LEO problem, giving them the idea that they have an unlimited amount of power. The OC in KY has actually just drawn out a very negative aspect of that police department, not of open carry, and I truly hope that officer is delt with, and is no longer a negative aspect in that department or in society.

This entire thread is a failure from the beginning. You want "un-biased reasons (aka facts)" to back up your opinion that you want to tell your friend. Well sorry, but the facts just aren't there to back you up. So now you can either lie to your "friend" or let him open carry. What kind of a man are you going to be? End of story.

Excuse me? Open carry problem? That is an LEO problem. Do you normally blame the victims, and call the victims the problem? Are you one of those "she was asking to get raped, look what she was wearing, don't blame the criminal he couldn't help himself" kind of guys?

Very, very good point.

What you are describing is NOT an OC problem.

Where OC is legal and the person engaged in that legal activity (OC) has committed no criminal offense, the harassment and/or arrest of that person for no other reason than their exercise of that right (OC) is a training/professional competence issue that the Officer (and his Department) will be held accountable for.

What you are describing is a professionality, competence, and training issue for the "enforcing" LE agency and any Officer who is unable to comprehend the distinction.

If someone (even an LEO) has a "problem" with OC, that does not mean that it becomes "a problem" for the individual exercising that right/privilege.

That was instigated by an off duty LEO that should have kept his nose out of this guys business and NOT have violated this guys rights.

LEO will be very lucky if he is not sued for such violations.

Excuse me? Open carry problem? That is an LEO problem. Do you normally blame the victims, and call the victims the problem? Are you one of those "she was asking to get raped, look what she was wearing, don't blame the criminal he couldn't help himself" kind of guys? If anything it's the concealed carry badge bunnies that are at the root of the LEO problem, giving them the idea that they have an unlimited amount of power. The OC in KY has actually just drawn out a very negative aspect of that police department, not of open carry, and I truly hope that officer is delt with, and is no longer a negative aspect in that department or in society.

This entire thread is a failure from the beginning. You want "un-biased reasons (aka facts)" to back up your opinion that you want to tell your friend. Well sorry, but the facts just aren't there to back you up. So now you can either lie to your "friend" or let him open carry. What kind of a man are you going to be? End of story.

Class;
What do we call people that really don't care about the "FACTS" and only are concerned about their own feelings? :smile:

That's right class. These people are called either liberals or AGs. Sometimes they are both. :dance3:

-

I've watched numerous youtube videos concerning police stopping OC'ers in places where it's legal to OC and it sure doesn't stop them from harassing them time after time, so why put yourself in the limelight to be hassled, check out the youtube videos, it might give you a different perspective, because I figure the videos are a very small percentage of the people getting stopped by the police.

It'd be a pretty boring video of people walking down the street, open carrying legally and NOT getting stopped or hassled by the police, wouldn't it? I'm not talking about a benign police interaction, but no interaction at all. So already you have some self-selection in that only those who get stopped are posting videos giving us a skewed perspective (at best) of how often people get hassled for open carrying.

Stop hassling your friend. Support them, applaud them, for their decision to take responsibility for their own personal defense by carrying in whatever fashion suits them.

If folks would like to read about some open carry where nothing at all happened please go to:

Link Removed

and read the more than 4,700 posts to discover the multitude of open carry experiences in Michigan where absolutely nothing at all happened...........................

As a matter of fact I had a totally uneventful day today myself while open carrying in a Taco Bell and a Wal Mart in Clio Michigan. And yes, I have an audio/video recording that I could post on youtube.... but who wants to watch a video where absolutely nothing of note happens other than some taco munching and some grocery shopping?

If folks would like to read about some open carry where nothing at all happened please go to:

Link Removed

and read the more than 4,700 posts to discover the multitude of open carry experiences in Michigan where absolutely nothing at all happened...........................

As a matter of fact I had a totally uneventful day today myself while open carrying in a Taco Bell and a Wal Mart in Clio Michigan. And yes, I have an audio/video recording that I could post on youtube.... but who wants to watch a video where absolutely nothing of note happens other than some taco munching and some grocery shopping?

I think we should start a YouTube account called "The boring life of an open carrier"...and in every video we are eating some of those loco taco's....that is what you were eating right? Cause that's what men eat.....locos tacos filled with nothing less than 700 nitro express rounds.

McKee you are never going to win an argument against a cowboy who wants to return to the days of the Old West with a gunbelt strapped on him.

Common sense dictates that CCW is vastly superior to OC. That's precisely why CCW was ruled to be illegal for so long.

Now the tide is going the other way, and OC is viewed to be illegal in many places whereas CCW has become more acceptible through the permit process.

I believe Vermont and Arizona have the right idea about constitutional non-licensed CCW. However Scalia feels different. He believes that states have the right to make licensing rules for guns.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

There you go Mckee, the only responses you will get that back up your opinion are going to come from trolls who try to ridicule their point across with no substance whatsoever. I have no doubts that is what you will use with your "friend".

Maybe that is the only way you will let it sink in, so let me try. I think I have a better word for people like trollbee and you, ninja just doesn't get the point across, i think "politician" works better.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back