One in the chamber? Or not!!

My question is.........

If you don't carry one in the chamber, how will you ready your pistol, if you can't use your other hand or arm? I realize that there are drills that I have done along with many others here that allow you to rack your slide by snagging your sight on your heel, belt, holster, pocket or whatever, in order to rack your slide. But not everyone can do this drill, and hardly anyone will practice it. It takes skill and a cool head. Especially if you have to do it under stress in a bad situation.

How many shootings occur within 5 or 10 feet? Will you already be in physical contact with the badguy. I saw at least 10 or 12 different defensive shootings where the good guy had to push the bad guy back or hold him off, or had to grab the bad guys gun to hold it away from him, WHILE HE WAS DRAWING HIS OWN GUN. I saw two incidents where a person tried to intervene in the scuffle, and a Police Officer had to pull the person back with one hand to get him or her out of the line of fire and draw with the other hand. What if your wife or child is in the line of fire and you have to push them down or move them aside? What about if you are injured or shot in the other arm or hand and partially disabled while you have to draw. There's no guarantee that you won't be shot first, or the situation will be a clean text book movie screen shooting. It may be an escalation of events from a physical altercation that leaves you injured or having to use an arm to hold the bad guy back as you draw. It Happens. If you don't carry a round in the chamber, you may very well find yourself on the obituary list tommorrow, because you couldn't react. Understand, if you have never been in a shooting situation, you will absolutely not believe how fast things can happen, when you need to get your gun out and into action. I suggest any of you who carry without a round chambered either reconsider, or do some very heavy and intense training in racking your slide. And I don't mean a trip to the range every now and then. The IDF or Bodyguard guys in Israel I've seen some of you refering to, are highly trained professionals that continuously practice. In fact many of them border their gun skills on martial arts type training and make it a daily routine and way of life. I doubt there are many people on this site that live and train anywhere near what these guys do..

Being 'PC' has nothing to do with it. Its called being civil, appropriate, and frankly - having class.
Well, I guess I won't be invited to your next dinner party. Fine, my tux is at the cleaners anyway.
I don't know if you're bragging about "saying it to my face" but I'm happy you're willing to start a fight in person over something so trivial. You can't call someone stupid or say they have "stupid azz" ideas and expect them to smile about it. I'd personally dismiss it, and let you and your wife be the elitists but someone else may not.
As I said before, I am sorry for offending anyone here (that would be you apparently). And really just because my insults are a bit more course, does not make your ill conceived and ill mannered behavior any less offensive. If you really did not want a fight you would have accepted my apology and shut your mouth.
As far as your wife saying w/e she wants whenever she wants - that's called the first amendment. I hope you guys don't write a check with your mouth that your body can't cash in person. (seriously).
Seriously, that is good advice, I will give your comment the consideration it is due.
I don't really like your attitude, and your slang "nuff said, wifey, etc" leads me to beleive you are a certain kind of person- but I won't pass judgment or insult you, no matter how much I disagree with you.
I guarantee you that I am indeed a 'certain' type of person. You sir, are in danger of being seen as a liar as you have already passed considerable judgment and in your passive aggressive way have done your best to slam me and my wife and it appears that you are the elitist at this party. Thanks for nuthin' buster.

I suggest we agree to drop this and you take your heightened, delicate sensibilities and consider how your comments may fuel a fire as apposed to putting it out.

P.S. Mealy mouthed liars, 'civil' and classy folk are mainly responsible for where we are today in the world. If you can't say what you really mean or are afraid to do so, that is your problem not mine. My guess is you're a politician. Or maybe an NRA lobbyist.

As far as wracking the slide goes, one may include that little technique in the same ridiculous barrel as using a .22, .25 or .380 for self defense. Sure, if that is all one's got, fine. Go with it. But if a choice is available, don't be stu. . . ah. . . lacking in intellect.

I recommend that if guns and gun handling are not one's life's work and one doesn't spend hours a day or week practicing, one should carry with one in the pipe, cocked and locked depending on your sidearm and of course, my preference is that the caliber begins with a .45.

Nuff said.

Well, I guess I won't be invited to your next dinner party.

Just for the record, and I doubt that you care...you won't be invited to my next dinner party, either. While I agree that I prefer people who are straight up, there is a line. I may find your wife, for example, to be as ugly as an old bulldog, but I wouldn't say it, out of common courtesy. You carrying your weapon differently than I do doesn't make me a dumb ass and doesn't make you (or your wife) the final word on ANYTHING. I post a lot on this website and one big reason I like it is the lack of "know-it-all" attitude, you know, like the one you display. I can get that crap from my liberal acquaintances, I'd prefer to not have to deal with it here. Most folks who post here recognize that we're all in the same boat and try to educate, if necessary, and certainly support one another. Every once in a while, someone jumps in, posts a bunch of bullshit, and is never heard from again. I'm hoping that's the case, here.

Nuff said, alright.

=JJFlash;102817]Just for the record, and I doubt that you care...you won't be invited to my next dinner party, either.
OMG, I will lose sleep over this and no dinner party either? You really put me in my place.

=JJFlash;102817]While I agree that I prefer people who are straight up, there is a line. I may find your wife, for example, to be as ugly as an old bulldog, but I wouldn't say it, out of common courtesy.
I didn't see that thinly veiled slam coming. As a matter of fact, with your high standards here, I am amazed you went there at all. Take a swipe at me, OK can deal with that. But you're comment was lower than the curb Bub!

=JJFlash;102817]You carrying your weapon differently than I do doesn't make me a dumb ass and doesn't make you (or your wife) the final word on ANYTHING. I post a lot on this website and one big reason I like it is the lack of "know-it-all" attitude, you know, like the one you display.
You can frame your comments any candy azz way you like. Take a stand man. It's that time.

=JJFlash;102817]I can get that crap from my liberal acquaintances, I'd prefer to not have to deal with it here. Most folks who post here recognize that we're all in the same boat and try to educate, if necessary, and certainly support one another.
Oh yeah, we're in the same boat alright. Keep controversy out of the mix, don't upset the apple cart. Your apple cart. Who's educating, what point of view, yours? Yeah I get your Liberal point alright.

=JJFlash;102817]Every once in a while, someone jumps in, posts a bunch of bullshit, and is never heard from again. I'm hoping that's the case, here.
Well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Just who are you to determine what is and isn't bullshit. What's good for the gander sure as heck ain't good for the goose.

=JJFlash;102817]Nuff said, alright.
Not nearly. Although I was done with you a ways back, but I am always up for a good 'conversation'. Thanks Bub!

Well, I guess I won't be invited to your next dinner party. Fine, my tux is at the cleaners anyway.
As I said before, I am sorry for offending anyone here (that would be you apparently). And really just because my insults are a bit more course, does not make your ill conceived and ill mannered behavior any less offensive. If you really did not want a fight you would have accepted my apology and shut your mouth.
Seriously, that is good advice, I will give your comment the consideration it is due.
I guarantee you that I am indeed a 'certain' type of person. You sir, are in danger of being seen as a liar as you have already passed considerable judgment and in your passive aggressive way have done your best to slam me and my wife and it appears that you are the elitist at this party. Thanks for nuthin' buster.

I suggest we agree to drop this and you take your heightened, delicate sensibilities and consider how your comments may fuel a fire as apposed to putting it out.

P.S. Mealy mouthed liars, 'civil' and classy folk are mainly responsible for where we are today in the world. If you can't say what you really mean or are afraid to do so, that is your problem not mine. My guess is you're a politician. Or maybe an NRA lobbyist.

LOL

No politician or lobbyist.

Also not afraid to say what I think..I think you're not a person i'd like to meet in person, or go to the range with. I don't need to call you names to say what I think...

I think you've had a weapon for less than a year and want to show off to "wifey" on a board...

I think that I would like this board a whole lot more without you on it...

I think you're rude, and wish you'd put your intelligence to more productive uses.

I've learned so much from this website and I'm very greatful for the opinions of everyone whether I agree or not. So let's agree to disagree and drop the insults please.:agree:

Thank you. I quite agree.

LOL

No politician or lobbyist.

Thank G-D!

Also not afraid to say what I think..I think you're not a person i'd like to meet in person, or go to the range with. I don't need to call you names to say what I think...

I think we're all clear on that, thank you.

I think you've had a weapon for less than a year

Missed it by. . . .well more years than I'd care to recall.

and want to show off to "wifey" on a board...

I've already spoken to you about referring to my wife, why must you insist on making this personal.

I think that I would like this board a whole lot more without you on it...

Well, You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, What have you got more of.

I think you're rude, and wish you'd put your intelligence to more productive uses.

You really don't get the old saying about the pot calling the kettle black do you?

If one has to ask if they should carry a round in the chamber or not, maybe they should put the gun on the floor and Step Away from the Firearm!!!

The way I look at it is this, it will depend on how comfortable you are with one in the chamber. How long do you think you will have if you need to rack one if you need your gun. Think about it, does run gun have a safety or is it like a Glock and Springfield etc... I personally dont have one chambered and hope to hell I have time to rack one in if I need it. This is my choice, may not be the right one but I hope so. Good Luck with your decision

I'd carry with one chambered. If I carried a SA-only gun, I'd either carry cocked with the safety on or hammer down with the safety off. You don't need to be worrying about thumbing two different mechanisms before you fire.

When I first started carrying, I felt uneasy having the firearm with me. I had this hunk of iron on my hip that could cause great damage to people. I thought, what if all of a sudden I were to go bonkers and I have this gun with me. I got a bit paranoid. I soon got over it and i am very relaxed with it. and I feel naked if I leave the house without it.

When I moved into my Townhouse, my brother in law, a local LEO, told me that a &^%$ was robbing people at the complex. He would wait for them to pull up into their driveway and catch them while they are getting out of the car. I wondered if I could draw and get "the drop on him" or even if necessary, fire at him before he knew what was going on. Now, if I didn't have one in the chamber, I might have time to drop to my knees, start crying and tell him to take what he wants.

Also, without one in the chamber you will need two hands to operate your firearm. What if the BG has already grabbed one of your arms?

Also, without one in the chamber you will need two hands to operate your firearm. What if the BG has already grabbed one of your arms?

Excellent point. Maybe rack the slide on the heel of your boot or running shoe, on your belt, on the ground. May mar the gun but at least you'll have a round chambered and maybe you won't have been knifed or shot while trying to rack the slide.

I know this example is from a movie but I have had occasion to actually train with this move and it can not be done if you must rack your slide to engage the target.
tom.gif

Gun in one's face, close quarters. Just can't leave that gun sticking in one's face. Have to get rid of it. Two arms and hands, one for the gun, one for racking the slide, wait a minute, hmmmmm, maybe head butt the gun. There, that'll do it. My personal choice in this scenario is to sweep left and up with my left arm as I draw and engage target with my right rather than sweeping the perps gun across my face or body. But, hey, it's a movie. Probably not a good example, it is just pretend after all.

... a concerned citizen, upon noticing the big 1911, hammer cocked holstered on Texas Ranger Charlie Miller's belt, asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Ranger Miller replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous!"

I think that it speaks volumes for having one in the chamber... enough said!

This is awesome! :)

With the revolver it's never an issue, always 6 in the chamber. With the auto, One in the chamber is the only way. I added the 10-8 Performance rear site to the M&P 45. The 10-8 has a J shape on the barrel side of the site which will allow you with one hand, to rack the slide on your belt, jean or coat pocket, or if need be the bad guy's belt, jean pocket, or perhaps his face or lower jaw bone:sarcastic: The demo at my local dealer (the guy is a state cop and does tactical training as well) sold me. I was able to rack the slide with one hand on the side of my jeans by hooking the rear site!! Just in case I have a misfire :blink:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back