One in the chamber? Or not!!

Ek-chewally, I believe Professor Browning designed his Masterpiece to be carried safely in Condition 1: One up the pipe and the thumb safety off..."Cocked and unlocked". "Cocked & Locked" constitutes Condition 2 and is fine for those who desire that extra level of safety, but the grip safety is there for that very reason - to provide that last element of safety while being carried while allowing the sidearm to be drawn and fired in an instant without any further conscious removal of safeties in the process.

I could not agree more. The first examples of the 1911, did not have the thumb safety. Only a grip safety. But the Cavalry insisted that the thumb safety be added.

would not carry any other way. I am a 1911 guy I carry with one in the tube and the hammer forward allows rapid deployment very safe carry and no fumbling with the safety strap over galco leather. unsheathe it pull hammer back and by by bad guy!

I carry chambered with my Glock 30SF (.45 ACP). At first I was nervous because of the perception that Glock lacks "true" safeties. But I consistently practice proper gun handling and practice my draw in all my different holsters. One of my favorite holsters is the Smart Carry because of it's deep concealment, although it does make me nervous having one chambered right on top of my "junk".

I am just curious: How many or who of you in this thread carry one chambered in a Glock? What, if anything, have you been concerned with and how do you carry?

Thanks.

One in the tube

Since I carry mostly Glocks I always have one in the tube. There isn't a safety to switch on and off just put your finger on the trigger. All the safety you need. I also carry in a holster also. Makes it a lot easier. I have carried my 1911 and have had the safety come off so I don't like to carry it.
I do carry my 92-S on occasion but I don't think a 9mm has enough punch. I have my 4 Glocks on my CCW. 40 S&W, .357 SIG, 45 ACP and 9mm. I usually go for the heavier cals.

One in Chamber

Always. A situation could arise and you need to be ready. Milliseconds count. Sure, confidence with your weapon is a must.....however, overconfidence leads to accidents. Cautiously confident is a good mindset. Always keep your finger out of the triggerguard when holstering and un-holstering, keep weapon pointed in safe direction and you should be all set.

One in the chamber definitely or else leave it home. I can't remember but I was told that a person can attack you within 15 feet in less than 1.5 seconds. That's an eternity if you have to draw and chamber a round. There's even a youtube video shown at about 21 feet using some type of dummy pully system with a person drawing and firing. Check this youtube video out. YouTube - High Speed Amatuer Pistol Shooting - Sig Sauer p220 .45 ACP

By the way my Sig is a DA/SA no safety, but a 1911 SA, I would keep that damn safety on, those guns are hot to the touch.

Wow,this thread is active?
I carry one in the chamber.I guess it's a matter of how comfortable you are with that,but that's how i do it.The Taurus PT24/7Pro has a thumb safety so I keep one in the pipe,safety on.It would tale probable 1/4 of a second to flip the safety off.By the time I had it up and pointed,it would be ready.

One in the chamber definitely or else leave it home. I can't remember but I was told that a person can attack you within 15 feet in less than 1.5 seconds. That's an eternity if you have to draw and chamber a round. There's even a youtube video shown at about 21 feet using some type of dummy pully system with a person drawing and firing. Check this youtube video out.

By the way my Sig is a DA/SA no safety, but a 1911 SA, I would keep that damn safety on, those guns are hot to the touch.
Only if they've had a trigger job. AND, only if the grip safety has been disconnected.

IF you've had proper training on combat shooting, on how to properly draw your pistol, and WHEN to put your finger on the trigger, then the manual safety on the 1911 is just extra weight. And I think JMB would even say that, as his original design did not have a manual safety until the US Cavalry objected.

This whole thread brings to mind an old story about the famous Texas Ranger Charlie Miller. Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous." I think that it speaks volumes for having one in the chamber. Enough said!

One in the Pipe

Carrying with one in the pipe is the only way to go. The second needed to jack one in could mean your lfe if you have to draw it. Most semi-autos have a safety that is at the thumb's easy reach. Don't waste time. Be ready.

Last edited:
My advice is if you have to ask one in the chamber or not? than the answer is 'not' because you are not confident in your ability to handle this weapon safley. So go to the range and become one with your partner. know what it will and willnot do. remember knowledge replaces fear. and practis builds confidence.

that's a glock in your signature pic? How does one put the safety ON with a round in the chamber on that gun? I've carried Glocks for years and autos for decades, I've yet to shoot myself...........just lucky I guess. P.S. my everywhere(to include beach) gun is a tiny KelTec .32 w/one up the pipe!

that's a glock in your signature pic? How does one put the safety ON with a round in the chamber on that gun? I've carried Glocks for years and autos for decades, I've yet to shoot myself...........just lucky I guess. P.S. my everywhere(to include beach) gun is a tiny KelTec .32 w/one up the pipe!

It might help if we knew WHO you were referring to. :wink:

I seem to me that their is + and - no matter what you do. So let me have it, what is best????
I carry an XD .45 no manual safety to slow me down when nano seconds count. One in the chamber. No down side. To not have one in the chamber is a death wish IMO. To not carry with one in the chamber is worst than having a gun because you are under the delusion that you are armed. In most SD scenarios you will be dead long before you can chamber a round.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back