One in the chamber? Or not!!

One in the chamber, safety on. But... I have practiced my draw + safety release a thousand times! Operating the safety switch on my H&K USP .40 drawn from my Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster has become a natural part of my draw motion and negligibly impacts my speed in firing off rounds. Practice and preparation for action are of utmost importance!

Attached below is an excerpt from a prior post highlighting the importance of speed and preparedness…

FBI statistics compiled from over a century of record keeping suggests that most fights resulting in a justified homicide typically come down to three, three, and three ∷ three shots in three seconds at about three feet away.

I don’t know… hope I never have to find out. BUT, three shots, four… five… the whole mag… WHATEVER, the key is to have done due diligence in training for the fight. Know your game plan by heart, and be prepared for multiple scenarios. Be able to draw, shoot and eliminate the threat (or threats) in short order.

Check out the following image...

tom.gif

This is the signature image for Link Removed… it illustrates the sorts of scenarios you need to practice and be prepared for!

And, by the way... mentally preparing for "after the engagement" is just as important. Being able to compose yourself following the adrenaline dump that results from a firefight will be crucial to your ability to gather the details needed to provide emergency responders an accurate picture of what transpired. LEO’s will be using your statements and the information you provide as a basis for determining whether your actions were justified… as well as any others who witnessed the action. So, you'll need to be able to communicate the perceived threat, and that your ONLY desire was to STOP the threat with clarity!

Good and thorough training will give you the advantage—as the image above demonstrates, the bg’s are taken by surprise when their intended victim suddenly responds with fluidity (I know, it’s staged and this example is not really real!). BUT, the point is… you can be prepared to react with the speed and accuracy of a rattle snake!

Training is KEY!

In a situation like the one portrayed in the image above… time is of the essence. You won’t always have time to rack the slide and feed one into the chamber.

So, full mag(13)+1 w/safety is my preference.

i carry chambered.

i also like that image above. him shooting from retention, the guy on the right flinching and getting two the body, one to the head.

1 addition,

I haven't noticed this listed here and felt I should bring it up. One critical thing with carrying a firearm (even more critical carrying it "hot") is to make sure you have a quality holster that covers the entire trigger guard.

Carrying with a "hot" firearm is a safe practice IF it is combined with a holster that covers the trigger guard!

:no:

MO Instructor

Good catch, 100% correct.

This is why i am buying a revolver for concealed carry so i am ALWAYS able to shoot in an instant.. when it comes to you or him and you dont have one in the chamber OR you have the safety on ... then that very intant when all you have is that instant youll wish one was in the chamber and the safety off.. now in my home i keep my shotgun WITHOUT one chambered because #1 if someone esle gets to it before me (which is unlikely) id like the chance of them not knowing how to cock it (it has a soft trigger.not sure what its called but you have to push it in in order to cock the first time) #2 i dont need the extra round you for keeping one chambered because 00 buck with wide spread choke you only need 1 #3 Last thing i wanna do is take someones life so if i have to chance to be able to cock the gun to scare off the perp while shouting "ill blow your head off" then 1 more chance of not having to take a life #4 (for those who might say "what if you only have an instant?" well if i woke up to them standing over me then its already to late. :hang3:

One in the pipe, no exceptions. With the proper holster, of course.

"Yo homie, is that my briefcase?"

I love that quick clip from Collateral. Of course, it cuts off TC picking up said briefcase, and putting one more in the first guy for spite. :D

Naturally real life isn't the movies, but sometimes they do make decent examples. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I carry my 1911 one in the chamber hammer back safety on, you should never ever ever carry a gun without one in the chamber you might as well not carry a gun at. The situation, you are faced by a mugger with a gun, he is under ten feet, his gun is loaded you can either draw your weapon and try to load it and get shot or not draw it and possibly get it taken by the mugger. Or you could side step draw drop safety and drop the bad guy in one fluid motion.

I was a little uncomfortable carrying one in the hole at first but my new PPS .40 seems pretty solid to do so. I now always have a round in the chamber and hope I never have to use a gun for self defense. However, I know I can if I have to.

I dont understand not carrying a round in the chamber you might as well keep it in the house, drawing an unloaded weopon is like pulling out a sign that says shoot me faster. if you cannot trust yourself or your weapon to be ready to shoot, then a) you should get more training or B) change your weopon or both.

If you carry a gun and don't carry in condition 1, you should save some money and buy a bat.
Yup!!!

I dont understand not carrying a round in the chamber you might as well keep it in the house, drawing an unloaded weopon is like pulling out a sign that says shoot me faster. if you cannot trust yourself or your weapon to be ready to shoot, then a) you should get more training or B) change your weopon or both.
Yup!!!

Either man up or woman up or lay down. My apple pie baking, embroidering, bible studying, very feminine wifey carries one in the pipe, cocked and locked and if she runs out of bullets she will literally beat your azz to death with her gun before she lets some punk piece of dung, waste of skin hurt her or hers. My kinda girl.

I mentioned this thread to her and she says; "What the . . . . are they stupid or what?!?

Nuff said, if my wife thinks you're stupid, you're stupid so reconsider your dumb azz ideas of drawing your sidearm, taking a smoke break, wracking the slide to chamber a round, then acquiring the target who by now is whacking your melon with his baseball bat or sticking his Jim Bowie through your now silenced heart.

Don't you people ever read about CQB or train with an instructor who understands CQB. This is just more liberal crappola. My wife says you might as well take your gun out and throw it at them, It'd be faster and he's gonna get it from you anyway since you'll probably call a committee meeting first before you open fire.

Yup.

In my .45 I carry chambered with the safety off. The holster completely covers the trigger and with the grip safety clear I don't stress it.

In my Hk I carry chambered, decocked and safety on. It's DA/SA.

When I'm shitting my pants fired up half blind from fear and adrenaline the last thing I want to have to worry about is extra steps between the decision to draw and the neutralization of the threat.

I was comfortable carrying this way by the time I cleaned up at the range after firing the .40 on day one when leaving the shop.

It took a little while getting used to the .45 because I wasn't used to it being cocked all of the time. Until I got my Silent Thunder holster that completely enclosed the trigger in kydex I always used the safety too.

I think it is more than preference. If you want faster, than one should have a round in the chamber. The BG is going to have one in the chamber plus the element of surprise. Doing anything that will slow you down could result in being a homocide victim.

Yup!!!

Nuff said, if my wife thinks you're stupid, you're stupid so reconsider your dumb azz ideas of drawing your sidearm, taking a smoke break, wracking the slide to chamber a round, then acquiring the target who by now is whacking your melon with his baseball bat or sticking his Jim Bowie through your now silenced heart.

Tell that to him:

YouTube - ICS Deployment, reload and concealed carry transition

I've personally trained with him^ his name is Robb Hamic and he is insanely fast and accurate using the israeli method. I personally don't carry like that, but know several who do.

You should grow up- just because your wife says someone is stupid doesn't mean they are. Just because you don't do something a certain way - it doesn't make it wrong. Also, what makes you or your wife the be-all-end-all experts of CQB

Yup!!!

Also-

This is hardly a productive way to say you disagree with someone...

Also-

This is hardly a productive way to say you disagree with someone...

Well said, CST, had the same thoughts myself. You beat me to the post...

C'mon ya'll you can disagree but save the name-calling and personal slurs. The lack of 'em is why I like this site. We're all here to support one another...or should be.

Well said, CST, had the same thoughts myself. You beat me to the post...

C'mon ya'll you can disagree but save the name-calling and personal slurs. The lack of 'em is why I like this site. We're all here to support one another...or should be.

I've always wondered why people sling such harsh words over a message board. I would never say anything like that in person- and therefore shouldn't say anything like that on a board where i'm a regular.

I would say something like that in person. I have seen the Israeli method of draw and it is fine for those who live it and practice it day in and day out. Most of us do not qualify. It takes discipline, physical agility and dexterity that many simply do not have the discipline to possess.

Sorry if I or my wife offended anyone here. Neither of us could be called PC and we usually say what we think. I would say it to your face. Anyone's face. No worries though, again, my apologies for hurt feelings or offended sensibilities. Apparently we are un-trainable. I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

P.S. My wife's the one with the nine pointed at the bad guys head if he's messin' with me. She pretty much can say what ever she likes when ever she likes.

Sorry if I or my wife offended anyone here. Neither of us could be called PC and we usually say what we think. I would say it to your face. Anyone's face. No worries though, again, my apologies for hurt feelings or offended sensibilities. Apparently we are un-trainable. I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

P.S. My wife's the one with the nine pointed at the bad guys head if he's messin' with me. She pretty much can say what ever she likes when ever she likes.

Being 'PC' has nothing to do with it. Its called being civil, appropriate, and frankly - having class.

I don't know if you're bragging about "saying it to my face" but I'm happy you're willing to start a fight in person over something so trivial. You can't call someone stupid or say they have "stupid azz" ideas and expect them to smile about it. I'd personally dismiss it, and let you and your wife be the elitists but someone else may not.

As far as your wife saying w/e she wants whenever she wants - that's called the first amendment. I hope you guys don't write a check with your mouth that your body can't cash in person. (seriously).

I don't really like your attitude, and your slang "nuff said, wifey, etc" leads me to beleive you are a certain kind of person- but I won't pass judgment or insult you, no matter how much I disagree with you.

Be safe

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back