One in the chamber? Or not!!

I carry an XD .45 no manual safety to slow me down when nano seconds count. One in the chamber. No down side. To not have one in the chamber is a death wish IMO. To not carry with one in the chamber is worst than having a gun because you are under the delusion that you are armed. In most SD scenarios you will be dead long before you can chamber a round.
With only one exception, all the pistols that I might carry have manual safeties. I have found no difference in the time it takes to draw and shoot with these, than it does with the one I have that doesn't have a safety. When I draw to shoot, the safety is off before the gun is lining up on the target. No lost nano-seconds here. :)

1 In

All the reasons listed above. Also, my CWP Instructor had an anecdote about a guy with a CWP who had to use deadly force, got sued by the family, lost and WENT TO JAIL because they deemed that the time it took to rack the slide gave him time to think of another way out of the situation. Premeditated murder? I don't think so, but it's still not an option I want to give a jury of peers. I carry 1 in with a Springfield XD, the only safeties on it are a dovetail in the grip and a trigger safe. Basically, don't grab it and don't pull the trigger. Unnerving? At first, but you sort of become hyper-sensitive about your surroundings (like you should when carrying a firearm) because you always are monitoring the very-ready weapon on your person.

One in the chamber

[You have to have one in and ready. As someone who had 20 years of target and no CCW it took a while to get used to carry with one in, but in a situation there is no time for anything but point and shoot!!!

If you have to rack one up before you can save the life of a loved one or yourself why carry at all? If anyone really feels that uncomfortable carrying that way maybe they should consider OC spray or an expandable baton. I can envision a situation where, under that kind of stress, a person racks with the finger on the trigger and discharges into themselves or a bystander.

I know this thread is old as dirt, but my opinion as a combat veteran is that a weapon without a round in the pipe is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. In combat I ALWAYS carried chambered. There is no other way. What concerns me is this. Police officers (two) here in the Great State of Indiana have told me that carrying chambered is against the law. I have found nothing in the Indiana Code to that effect. Can anyone here help me with that? Thanks!!

I know this thread is old as dirt, but my opinion as a combat veteran is that a weapon without a round in the pipe is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. In combat I ALWAYS carried chambered. There is no other way. What concerns me is this. Police officers (two) here in the Great State of Indiana have told me that carrying chambered is against the law. I have found nothing in the Indiana Code to that effect. Can anyone here help me with that? Thanks!!
They're blowing wind up your skirt. I lived in Indiana for the first 22 years of my life. I got my first CCW in Indiana when I was 19. And I carried a 1911 .45 with one in the chamber, on advice of a local city cop I knew who told me it was perfectly safe and legal. That was 1975. And I've never carried a semi-auto any other way, than with one up the pipe.

I've got no problem with one in the chamber, and can not imagine carrying with out it. With one caveat; the gun is in a holster that covers the trigger so there will not be an accidental snag and subsequent release of the trigger.

I also carry with the safety off. If I ever have to use this for self defense, there are two less steps to remember and perform in a high pressure situation – simpler is better as long as safety (unintentional discharge) is not sacrificed.

Additionally for my peace of mind and comfort I use a paddle holster with a cant behind my strong side hip. When I am inside my home, or elsewhere that is appropriate to disarm, the entire gun and holster are handled together and the trigger is not exposed.

My backup or alternate gun is a pocket sized Seecamp – but it is in a pocket holster with the trigger guard and trigger covered. No trigger snags are possible and a takes a deliberate action to get a finger onto the trigger. No Plaxico Burress activities for me.

People who think one should carry with an empty chamber have seen too many movies – the emphasis there is so that the viewer will know that a loaded gun is being presented – all for drama.

And finally, if you carry without a holster to enclose the trigger, then all bets are off, that is dangerous and only works in the movies and on TV.

Can't Beleive This Is Still Around......

If you don't carry condition 1 or carry a double action only you really should. Remember a quote from a great man...."A mans got to know his own limitations" It is a known truth. Safteys have their place. Nothing wrong with them but they really do have their place.:biggrin:

Manual Saftey

Completely agree that a carry weapon should always have the chamber loaded. Carried a DAO for a while but never was comfortable with the idea of no saftey except for the trigger pull. Thought of how many times a year I was holstering the weapon, hundreds of times, and all it would take is a piece of my shirt, jacket or other, to get in the trigger guard. Went to a M&P40c with thumb saftey. Seems so natural to swipe the saftey off while raising the weapon. Murphys law happens to even the best of us. My 2 cents worth.

Thanks!!!

Al!! Now that I know that I will feel more comfortable with carrying correctly. My only concern is cops giving me a hard time. I dont think that carrying a copy of the IC with me to show to an overzealous officer would go over very well. For some reason they are telling police officers this crap in the academy!!! So in this case word of mouth trumps the letter of the law and because they are police they can pretty much do what they want on the streets. Any further advice on how to handle the misinformed officer before he hauls me off to jail?

Al!! Now that I know that I will feel more comfortable with carrying correctly. My only concern is cops giving me a hard time. I dont think that carrying a copy of the IC with me to show to an overzealous officer would go over very well. For some reason they are telling police officers this crap in the academy!!! So in this case word of mouth trumps the letter of the law and because they are police they can pretty much do what they want on the streets. Any further advice on how to handle the misinformed officer before he hauls me off to jail?
Ask him the chapter and section of the law where it says you can't carry one in the chamber. But whatever you, be polite. ;)

Also, make sure you have one of those digital voice recorders with you. Most will easily fit in a shirt pocket, and are not very expensive. You might also beat most of them to the draw and contact the chief of police of your town, and inform him what you were told. It may not help, but in this situation, it can't really hurt.

I carry with one in the chamber with my XD sub. Feel pretty safe with it that way and have no worries about negligent discharges.

Well do you carry one less round in wheel gun? If you are going someplace that you might need a gun stay home. Be aware of your surroundings and know your gun is not loaded.

I'm confused...Are you suggesting that everybody should stay home at all times? Because you cannot gauge where and when you will need a gun. Only the POS crimminal knows that, and they don't advertise it. So, since you cannot know where or when you will need to defend yourself...you should just stay home so you won't have to carry a loaded gun? PLEASE tell me that I have misunderstood your post.

I always carry. I am still here to post these comments BECAUSE I always carry. Three men tried to mug me in front of Yale University. They were unsucessful BECAUSE I always carry.

As far as the carry condition of my firearm...Fully loaded with one in the pipe...double action...my finger is my safety.

Skydancer

one in the chamber

seems to me that a gun that it not chambered is about as good as a 32 ounce rock, most modern semi-autos have multiple safety mechanisms, transfer bar, decocker, manual safety, etc. DA/SA pistols with decockers and transfer bars are as safe as you can get unless of course you don't have one in the chamber. But on the flip side remember that a well thrown rock will also disable a big man. Just my opinion thanks for listen en.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back