One in the chamber? Or not!!

I will be 63 year's old on the 29th. of this mo. The only reason that I made it this far along with a 25 year career in Law Enforcement is because I always keep one in the chamber. Sometime's when you need to use your weapon you will not or do not have the time to jack a round into the chamber and then you will never have a chance to use a weapon again. Keep one in the chamber.
Bill

I will be 63 year's old on the 29th. of this mo. The only reason that I made it this far along with a 25 year career in Law Enforcement is because I always keep one in the chamber. Sometime's when you need to use your weapon you will not or do not have the time to jack a round into the chamber and then you will never have a chance to use a weapon again. Keep one in the chamber.
Bill
About as an knowledgeable informed post on the subject that anyone can get. IMO the only people who DO NOT carry one the the pipe are newbies and complete morons neither are qualified to have an opinion much less give advise.

Indiana

I know this thread is old as dirt, but my opinion as a combat veteran is that a weapon without a round in the pipe is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. In combat I ALWAYS carried chambered. There is no other way. What concerns me is this. Police officers (two) here in the Great State of Indiana have told me that carrying chambered is against the law. I have found nothing in the Indiana Code to that effect. Can anyone here help me with that? Thanks!!

So where would a DA revolver come into that scenario? It's BS!!!

One in the chamber

Always carry one in the chamber in an Auto, DA or Single. Safeties are self evident on DAs and SAs and if you're carrying a Glock, be careful when holstering and take care not to let a shirt or jacket material get caught up in the trigger guard. For revolvers, carry what it will take. Cowboy shooters, you know the deal witb old style six-guns.

A handgun is no use if it doesn't have one in the tube. A split second used to chamber one only aids the bad guy, who, I assure you will be ready.

Train, train and train some more and make the decision to use lethal force in self defense now before it's necessary.

I've had my CWP for one week now. I've become accustomed to having one in the tube now (aka, condition one). It's the only way to carry. If you're not comfortable with it... go to the range and get comfortable.

Carrying a weapon is a big responsibility. Whether you have been carrying for 30 years or a week, you should never get too comfortable having your weapon on you. What I mean is, you should at all times know where your weapon is on your person, what weapon you have on you, what its condition is(safety or no safety) and who is around you, behind you, in front of you. You should know your surroundings, if there are children or other people around or on the other side of walls. I dont say this meaning that you should be on red alert all of the time but you should always be on top of your game. This for one, prevents you from being an easy target, two, it gives you the edge if something does go down, and three, prevents accidents. I was uncomfortable carrying chambered at first but I know that I have taken all other factors out of the equation. I am aware of my handgun all of the time. I practice (EMPTY) drawing my handgun, and I have chosen a handgun that has proven itself to be safe, accurate, and most of all reliable. You can't go back and do it over again. You need to factor out anything working against you. Just for example, if someone comes at you with a knife you have less than a second to react. If you have to stop them with one hand while drawing and shooting from the hip, you will be dead. After they cut your fingers off they are not going to stop and chamber your handgun for you and then proceed.. Thanks for letting me ramble I hope I could help. BE SAFE!

Last edited:
I have been carrying with 1 in the chamber and on safe (1911 Officers)for 2 years now. I have also dropped it several times, some on hard surface once on a dance floor(carrying on the waist band) It slipped and I made a grab for it, caught at the knee pretended to tie my shoe string. Un like Plexico caught it at his thigh pulled the trigger the gun fired you know the rest of the story, By the way He had a Glock, the so called safe gun!!!
Alex

I have been carrying with 1 in the chamber and on safe (1911 Officers)for 2 years now. I have also dropped it several times

:fie:

Might want to look into a holster with better retention... or a smaller gun. I'll be sure to stay off of dance floors when you're around. :biggrin:

Here's what I tell my students;

"Without a round in the chamber you may as well be carrying a blunt force weapon and there are much better blunt force weapons than a pistol."

I was told some time back that the majority of all shootings fall within a triple 3 rule,

1. 3 rounds or less fired.

2. Within 3 yards.

3. Completed within 3 seconds.

If you can draw your firearm, rack the slide, get on target and fire the shot with your attacker inside a 3 yard circle and within 3 seconds, you'll be fine.

If you are not comfortable enough to carry a firearm with a round in the chamber you either need a different firearm or don't carry!

:wacko:

MO Instructor

I carry a Springfield XD. After not carrying for ~20 years, I must admit that the new technology is a little scary, however, I lock and load before I conceal my weapon, and am confident that if I need it...it's ready. Mechanical safeties can fail. The most important safety is 1" behind your eyes and directly between your ears.

My personal opinion is it does little good to carry a weapon if you are not prepared to fire it when the time comes. You should be locked and loaded, safety on if you feel better, but ready to fire. The bad guy is not going to stand around and wait for you to chamber a round!

JMHO:girl_wink:

In the movies and the Israeli draw.

Costs upwards of 20% in terms of time of draw.

Loud. Racking the slide and all that.

Heard a lot of reasons why but none made any sense to me.

Condition one would be my choice.

I carry a Government 1911.

Carried one concealed for many years

Always have carried. . . . Cocked, Locked and ready . . . .

Carry a Revolver

I've done some research and decided to put my Glock back in the Safe and now I carry a .357 Ruger SP101 Revplver. On at least a couple of the last Killing Spree's by nut jobs they were unable to accomplish their objective of killing as many innocent people as they could because their Pistols Jammed. If 5 shots well placed won't get you out of trouble you seriously screwed up. My revolver has never failed to fire when I pulled the trigger. And of course every round is already in the chamber.

I carry a Springfield XD45 sitting on ready with one in the chamber. I've been asked why I carry that way, and my response has been, "What good is a gun if its not ready to go when I need it. I'd be better off carrying a rock on my side than an unloaded pistol. At least I could throw the rock pretty good."

Definitely load one in the chamber. If that is scary, use a pistol with a thumb safety, like a 1911, or has a DA/SA with a de-cocking leaver like a SIG.

I had a Smart Carry when the pistol slipped. I did not holster the pistol properly no fault of the holster which conceals very well.
I have since bought a CrossBreed Super tuck with excellent retention and carry AIWB.
We have enough people trying to take away our guns and denegrating our 2A rights. I was hoping people in this forum would at least be civil to one another!!

I carry 1911’s cocked, locked and ready to rock. That does not mean they are the best for SD/CC, but since I’ve been shooting and packing them for 30 years, the operation is second nature for me.

If you are in a SD situation, you don't want to be going thru a manuals of arms on any CC gun. The opportunity to short stroke the slide, whereby not chambering a round is real. In any SD you want simple and proven actions. Carry as you practice, practice as you carry.

You don’t mention the weapon (I did not read the entire thread) you are caring, but if it is not safe or you are not comfortable carrying locked and loaded, perhaps the problem is either your skills/knowledge or the weapon itself.

In the case of skills/knowledge, get some good training; there are a number of good schools or classes you can attend.

The gun is an easy, buy one you are comfortable with and train with it.

Good luck,

Steve

1 addition,

I haven't noticed this listed here and felt I should bring it up. One critical thing with carrying a firearm (even more critical carrying it "hot") is to make sure you have a quality holster that covers the entire trigger guard.

Carrying with a "hot" firearm is a safe practice IF it is combined with a holster that covers the trigger guard!

:no:

MO Instructor

I always carry my Springfield Armory 1911 A-1 in Condition 1 - a round in the chamber with the safety on. I've owned .45's most of my life and have never experienced an accidental discharge. Most of the time I carry a Ruger SP 101 .357 magnum and never leave a chamber empty.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back