Insult my wife

My wife would be absolutely livid if I escalated an insult to an altercation. Had some problems early in our marriage because of exactly this sort of thing. She is of the opinion that MEN don't play those sort of games. Real men avoid a fight except for self defense and the defense of others. I'm all grown up now. I've always been able to take care of myself when necessary, but it isn't often necessary.

Why can't you just say, "look buddy, if I wasn't packing I'd kick your ass right now, but I am packing so I'm just gonna walk away". If someone said that to me in a calm collect way I'd probably wait till he turned around and rethink the next time I mock someone.....if I wasn't armed. I'm always armed, so I keep my comments to myself unless its all in fun.

Great answer!

My wife is ten years younger than I, and I'm pretty sure if that happened, I'd need my gun to protect the guy so SHE didn't kill him. :sarcastic:

I remember one day when we first bought the house we're in, she went to the store in a snow storm, and took the baby (probably 4 years old) with her. Two high school boys threw ice balls at her car a block away from home, and scared her so bad when they hit the window she skidded to a stop on the side of the road, jumped out, chased them down til she caught one, sat on his back and rubbed his face in the snow while smacking him on the head.

When she told me this my heart sank. I thought "great. first month in our new house and we're going to get sued and lose it." She's a 5' 8" hottie and very slender.

Just walk away.

I'm not going to try to quote Massad Ayoob, but paraphrase. If you're in a place where people are insulting your wife, you're hanging out in the wrong place, and you need to avoid places like that. You have too much to lose to let verbal insults stir you into action. An armed society is a polite society!

Statistics show that we who are licensed to CCW are involved in far fewer instances of violence not because the other person (BG) knows we are carrying, it is because we are more aware of things around us that could escalate into violence and we avoid those situations altogether. I would never let anyone know that I was carrying. For me, the only exceptions would be when it would prevent the BG from attacking or if they attacked, to stop the attack by discharging the firearm. So my thought with regards to you and your wife, if you find yourselves in that situation- You both should walk away, breath deep and think to yourself that it could have turned out much, much worse.
Safe travels.

OLD OWL : Im right there with ya my wife would whop their ass in a blink of an eye. I'd have to try to drag her away and hope she doesn't hurt them too bad. She teaches Woman's self defense MMA 5 nights a week. And I think some anger issues..:angry:

I can't find one of her in her winter coat she chased the kids down in so its kind of out of context.

Very nice sir, with the utmost respect sir..

This thread was one of the first that I began reading and posting on when I joined the site. JJFlash and I call each other still to this day and discuss things of this nature. The thought process was to get people to think for themselves and really analyze honestly and truthfully how THEY would react if this hypothetical situation or incident were to confront them.

In some cases the ones who were quick to criticize the "what if's" and make blanketing statements without reading the entire thread, were indicating how hot headed people can get. A situation in which the decision made can be life altering, can and will present itself sometime in life. The thread was simply an exercise in self awareness.

I was nostalgic and thought it would be fun to see it in the new posts listing again...

There is another elsewhere about an off duty cop at Mickey D's which ended up with a child being killed.

It's good to discuss these things, though no matter what, we never REALLY know what the outcome would be if we were there.

You never know what will set you off. I was once called to jury duty which turned out to be a greasy haired middle aged man in a three piece suit with patent leather shoes allegedly raped a 16 year old girl. I was brought to the judges desk before the two lawyers and asked if I could be an unbiased juror. I said that I had come with an open mind and was willing to try but if things started looking bad for this guy at some point I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't jump over the railing and pummel him to death. They sent me home. :hang3:

We've talked about confrontations on other threads. Thought I might start a new one to gen up new interest.

Here's the deal: You're carrying and someone insults your wife publicly. To me, that calls for a confrontation on your part. But, now you're carrying. I don't think we can go scuffling around with somebody since that's a good way to lose control of your weapon. Walk away? That would be tough. Hand the gun to your wife? Mine has a carry permit but still...Go deposit your weapon in your vehicle, come back, and THEN smack somebody? Nahhh...If I'm gonna fight, I intend to hit first, hard, and fast; anything else sets you up to lose. So, I don't know...what do we do? I can walk away from some crap, but there are plenty of situations that I don't think I could (insulting my wife in front of me is one of them). I'm interested in hearing from the "brotherhood"...What would you do?

I have a ccw in NY state. Any aggression - a punch, shove, etc - by me while carrying, even if the gun is not displayed is considered assault with a deadly weapon. So the best thing to do is to be thick skinned and walk away.

NY is one of those states that has some level of hostility toward gun owners. I have a family summer home not too far from you and it drives me nuts that I can't get a non resident permit so that I can bring my carry piece along for summer vacation. I bring the AR15 however, it's just a bit more difficult to conceal it...

If ever a thread can be answered with a simple quote--this is it. "STICKS AND STONES CAN HURT MY BONES BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HARM ME". I cannot for the life of me understand how words uttered by an idiot can cause testosterone to overwhelm supposedly intelligent men and have them even think about assaulting the idiot, particularly if they are CC. Even if they are not CC, you have assaulted someone who may defend himself and put you away--either by his greater abilities and strength or via criminial and legal consequences. Believe me--I do understand what we are talking about here and would like nothing better than to hand the idiot his head on a tray or, if CC, make sure his knees never work again but c'mon guys. Now if the idiot puts a hand on my wife--ALL BETS ARE OFF, including, if it is more than a hand, the potential for the more active use of my CC license or my fists. "Man has got to know his limitations"--in this case, when he is CC.

Yea, I've been called many unsavory names in the 43 years I've walked and driven the earth. I've yet to really get upset by any of them. My wife has some pretty thick skin. I'm sure she would laugh and say something witty and keep right on walking with me. We'd have a good laugh later. If the hands came into play then I'd react. I agree Kelcarry, names will never hurt me...

True Normally you do have to have age but im only 23 and have already realized you HAVE to let things go. If you get into it with every idiot you encounter then your gonna be going to jail alot maybe worse. Plus when your out places where these encounters are most of the time your just trying to have fun anyways. I dont know why people wanna ruin it but thats just how some people are. So just walk away, walk away , walk away, untill you CAN NOT walk away anymore
HERES A LINK TO A VIDEO ABOUT THIS EXACT TOPIC...Watch it untill the end these guys get what they deserve
YouTube - Be careful who you mess with

I have to disagree with you. The guy is the beamer egged them on and couldn’t wait to get them in a secluded location and be a tough guy show off. Not cool at all. The law should locate this guy and revoke his carry permit and charge with aggregated assault.

...be a tough guy show off. Not cool at all.
As opposed to two guys following one guy and a girl and going after him with a baseball bat at the country road dead end?

Yeah, plenty of cool to go around there. I bet you could probably add drinking and driving to the redneck's list of cool stuff they were doing that day too, because it would take a little something extra to make someone stupid enough to get into that. Lucky he wasn't either stupid and/or drunk enough to get himself shot.
...aggravated assault
Not when the other guy's coming at you with a baseball bat, bud.

It's all in the video, for those who need that sort of reassurance (shot by LVMPD).

Hey RyanDro: Based on your replies I am proud to have you as a fellow forum member. You sound a lot more mature than your 23 years and your sense of responsibility, particularly if you are CC, is to be commended and followed by all of us. I truly think that most of the forum members are really responsible CCers but sitting at a computer in the safety of your home allows you to leave your responsibilities elsewhere and fictionalize unreasonable responses; there have been many posts on many threads where the initial response to almost everything is "kill the sucka". He catcalls your wife, he sticks his finger on your chest, he looks at you cockeyed--kill um. That is what they say at their computer; my hope is that is NOT what they would do. Thanks for your reply my friend and be safe and have a wonderful, successful and healthy life.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back