Insult my wife

I'd walk away. I suppose if you had a dire need to get the guy back, the best way would be to wait a bit and nail him when he least expects it. A month or two down the line and I'm sure the dirt bag would have pissed of another guy or two.

I've learned through the years that revenge is a dish best served cold. :wink:

gf

Absolutly

Words are just words....I don't have a problem with someone until they mean to do physical harm to me or someone I care about then I'll allow the situation to determine the next appropriate moves.

Walk away and don't give him the Darwin Award he just applied for. I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, and I don't care what morons think or say. Having my EDC means I can ignore anything but serious assault.

I do understand you position with this. And it appears that you, even though you are not 20ish, have the mind to adjust your emotions and temper. This is not so much with 'kids' today. I also would like to pancake anyone who would disrespect my wife or children, in the same way you should let the 'dog behind the fence' bark. Now when you have a pressing and justifiable need, at that time put it down with proper force. Clear heads prevail.

Hey JJ: I"m probably as immature as you are. I would and have seen red when someone bads mouth my wife and am willing to go to any length to make sure it never happens again from whoever. Having said that, if I am CC, all bets are off--I bite my tongue, listen to my blood pressure giving me a buzz and then get away from the situation as fast as I can. STICKS AND STONES CAN BREAK MY BONES BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HARM ME-----OR MY WIFE. Even if the schmoe puts his hand on my wife (without any real physicality), it still is not "imminent danger" rising to a level where my CC means anything, although it would heighten my situational awareness as I try to get away from any rise in confrontation. God help the schmoe if he continues and actually "assaults" her.

OK, ya'll, I'm surprised and grateful for the counsel. Maybe I'm not a mature as I thought I was (and I'm effin' 56!). I was sure that I was gonna get more agreement on this. Hmmm...I'm gonna have to start re-tooling.

FYI, I haven't been in a serious fight for a very long time; lest I sound like a macho butthead. Just enjoy posing scenarios and how I might handle them and getting feedback. I always learn something.

DON'T DO ANYTHING! Just call him a slimebucket and walk away!

There are people out there just looking for you to get physical with them so they can get a warrant for your arrest, then sue you in court for damages. Don't ask me how I know this.<G>

I will avoid a hostile confrontation if at all possible. We will walk away. The bum probably doesn't know your armed and although he hit a nerve and you'd like to ring his neck, you just possibly gave him his life back. Only he's too stupid to understand it. If he pursues or continues after we've disengaged he'll deal with my wife "first" and that's gonna hurt. She's quite a surprise. A lifetime of defensive training. But I won't allow someone to follow and continue threatening behavior without intervening. It would become an argument over who gets to stop him.

Walk away, swallow your pride. If your wife loves you she will not want you to get into either a fistfight or a gun battle over this. At least in my state you are obligated to retreat by law or it won't be a self defense case but manslaughter at best if you end up shooting somebody.

Even though my husband carries everywhere, his deadliest weapon is his mouth. He would no doubt issue a response of such vile bitterness that the insulter would immediately go home and beat up his teddy bear. I have never seen a man who can psychologically analyze someone and damage their ego with such speed and precision.

There are some people who will provoke you KNOWING you are armed. It sounds crazy, but it happens. It ranks squarely in the antisocial category, but it's still real life. People know too well how to basically "troll" and get under your skin. I wish stuff like this only happened in the movies! That's where pepper spray can come in handy. There may be some aggressive movement on the troll's part. If it is "non-lethal" action than it could be perfect for pepper spray (check your local state laws before spraying).

The bottom line is to walk away and not get sucked in. That's hard, but that's right.

With pepper spray, the user is affected about 90% of the time (just ask any cop who has used it). Having your vision impaired is a tactical disadvantage and may lead to a loss of control real quick. A taser that you can "shoot" would be a better non lethal method.

Oh man, my wife would get her Scottish clan blood boiling and unload on the poor fella. All 5'1" of her, eyes flashing, hair flying.... I'd feel sorry for the guy and try to rescue him from her.

After reading all these posts I had my wife sit down and read them after presenting her with the "what if" scenario and her take was if the guy just has diarrhea of the mouth we just walk away .... neither of us need to go to jail or worse. IF it escalates then we take it to the next level. She has quite the mouth on her when the situation calls for it so I would pity the poor bastard once he got her german/scotish/irish blood up.

Robert Heinlein said: "An armed society is a polite society" so my vote is to walk away.

Why walk away?

If someone insults you or your wife and you physically attack the person, you will be the aggressor according to the witnesses. You will not be able to claim self-defense.

The person with diarrhea of the mouth is the one who has to live with the bad taste of their words.

JJ,

An insult is just words. Per the US Supreme Court if they aren't fighting words, ie threats, it's in your best legal interest to walk away. I studied that case in a class almost 10 years ago, so I don't recall what the case name/number actually was.

Not giving legal advice, just a personal opinion. I don't know about you, but I'm not turning my back on some folks. Not for one instant. Insult my wife, time for us to leave. Pursue the matter farther by following us and you're now a threat as we've illustrated a withdrawl from the matter. Then the confrontation would be most applicable, but you'll want to draw as much attention to yourself as possible. (loud verbal commands mentality) This is so others can become witnesses, but it's a double-edged sword of sorts so the loud verbal had better start at your withdrawl.

I just want to say that I appreciate the restraint that most in these post seem to have or feel they would have in such a situation. I think for you it is right and I applaud you for it. i am not made that way however. You could insult me all day long and I could walk every time, but you turn it on my wife and carrying or not(I always carry) you will give an account to me immediately! I put her first and we'll sort the details out later. God gave me that woman to take care of, stand up for and protect!! I will not hesitate to do so! We all must draw the line somewhere...I would draw it here. That may sound a little "john Wayne(ish)" But I like John Wayne so I have no apologies. That's just the way I am.

"Per the US Supreme Court if they aren't fighting words, ie threats, it's in your best legal interest to walk away."

Definitely walk away (and don't turn your back). But keep in mind that "fighting words" do not have to be explicit threats ("I'm going to smash your face"). Words obviously intended to provoke a fighting response ("You stupid dirty n****r") are different from mere insults ("Nice parking job, idiot").

I think the question is, If a grievous insult to my wife constitutes fighting words (and it may well be that it does), what kind of response is justified and won't be considered escalation? If you say, "Hey, that's my wife. Shut up," and stand there waiting for a response, and then the situation gets physically violent, will the fact that you responded militate against you? I'd probably respond somehow but keep walking. In court, I want witnesses saying, "The guy was walking away," not "They both got into it."

Still, who wants to spend 20 grand to prove he's in the right? To me, the threat of extreme violence would have to be obvious before I even thought about touching that gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back