Concealed carry badges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this 3 pages ?:hang3:

Because people have the ability to share their 'great store of knowledge' without the courtesy to read what's already been posted.

Mods, please lock this one, it needs a long rest.

Because people have the ability to share their 'great store of knowledge' without the courtesy to read what's already been posted.

Mods, please lock this one, it needs a long rest.

Because we suffer from 1st Amendmentitis. :haha:

Because we suffer from 1st Amendmentitis. :haha:

I don't think so. I think people don't bother to read what's been posted and either repeat what's already in the thread or add inane comments. It leads me to think of George Santayana and people's inability to know what preceded the current moment.

A badge will get you in trouble in Kansas. I wouldn't want one anyway because it would bring unwanted attention while attempting to keep a firearm concealed.

I stumbled onto this forum by accident and thought it looked interesting. I'll spend some time reading various threads to learn the lay of the land. Early in Jan. I completed the resident Kansas CC course and took the nonresident Utah CC course a week ago. I'm waiting on the paperwork from both states so I'm currently not carrying at this point.

Last edited:
A badge will get you in trouble in Kansas. I wouldn't want one anyway because it would bring unwanted attention while attempting to keep a firearm concealed.

I stumbled onto this forum by accident and thought it looked interesting. I'll spend some time reading various threads to learn the lay of the land. Early in Jan. I completed the resident Kansas CC course and took the nonresident Utah CC course a week ago. I'm waiting on the paperwork from both states so I'm currently not carrying at this point.

BearTaylor, welcome.

I concur, bad idea. If you're a SC CWP then you've probably heard about the guy at the Greenville, SC gun show a few years ago who decided to wear one of these so-called CCW badges on his belt while openly carrying. That BS lasted about five minutes before the city police arrested him for impersonating a LEO and for open carry. Then, I'm sure SLED revoked his permit- what an idiot!

...guy who decided to wear one of these so-called CCW badges on his belt while openly carrying. That BS lasted about five minutes before the city police arrested him for impersonating a LEO and for open carry. Then, I'm sure SLED revoked his permit- what an idiot!

What a dipsht. IMO those CCW badges are patently a bad idea.

In reference to item #3 in the list above, when the LEOs arrive at the scene, and you are holding a gun, pointed at the perp, and the perp decides to exclaim, "He's gonna shoot me! Stop him!", will the LEOs calmly ask me to put my gun down, or will they first shoot me to neutralize the threat? Will they ask me to produce my permit AFTER they shoot me? We just watched a video of a LEO shoot an unarmed man in the back in a subway station, and even if that was an accident, imagine what a jumpy LEO might do when faced with the scenario above.
Do you have a real-life example of that scenario available? And if so, how would a CWP badge produce a different outcome?

I don't carry my old Police Sergeant badge, it's in my dresser. If I thought a badge was a good idea I would. Definitely not a CCW badge.

As a retired LEO I would strongly recomend against it. Everything already said holds true. Besides just being silly.

Apparently I can legally carry one of two Badges from departments I actually retired from along with the new National Retired LEO Carry Permit. I don't carry any of that stuff. I carry my Idaho permit and because they don't have resaprocity, and I travel there a lo,t my Oregon and Nevada permits.

If you've been in a shooting, holster your weapon and wait for the police. When they arrive keep your hands in plaain sight and expalin what happened calmy. That being said, the police are not your friends!! They are there to conduct an investigation. Don't volunteer too much and think about keeping your mouth shut until you talk to your attorney. An innocent utterance under stress could well determine whether the DA views your shooting as "justabiable".

"The SOB got just what he deserved" might be heart fealt, but it also might get you charged with a crime.

Above all don't do anything to frighten/provoke the police officer.

RWT

I have a badge but do not carry it. It stays in my safe. If you carry one you just might be setting yourself up for jail time for impersonating a police officer. A US Marshal told me years ago that they are aware those badges are out there. I only have mine as a collectible.

Last edited:
I agree. They look silly and serve no purpose. I just got my certification as bodyguard instructor, and they offer a badge, which I declined. The ID card serves just fine to identify yourself. JMO

Carrying a badge sets you up for someone alleging that you identified yourself as a police offcer.

I have seen PI's get accused of this becauase they wore their gun and their badge on their belt when they went to interview people and the people later tried to recant their statement claiming that the guy never told them he was a PI and they just assumed he was a Police Officer.

The dumb ass never identified himself to the witness as to who he really was, never gave them a business card and was of the opinion that he couldn't help what or who they assumed he was.

He got the interview, which was suppressed, and he also got charged with impersonating a police officer. He is no longer a PI but he is still a dumb ass.

If you happen to be a convicted felon then go to the gun show and buy the CCW badge that looks the most like the local police shield. Then always open carry your firearm with the badge hanging next to it, that way you can get around the fact that you can't own a gun because LEO will simply ignore you and say "hey he's got a badge, he must be OK". :sarcastic:

NO? Well that is about the most useful purpose for a CCW badge and it goes downhill from there.

thought it important to mention that many states specifically state that NO BADGE MAY BE USED TO IDENTIFY ONESELF AS A PERMIT HOLDER...

someone a page or two back touched my point...

the only reason I can see that one would carry a badge as well is if you are say holstering your piece in a back of the pants holster that might be visable when you bend over and reach for the lower shelf in a supermarket... or something like that .. if you have a badge next to it someone is less likely to freak out about seeing a gun...

someone a page or two back touched my point...

the only reason I can see that one would carry a badge as well is if you are say holstering your piece in a back of the pants holster that might be visable when you bend over and reach for the lower shelf in a supermarket... or something like that .. if you have a badge next to it someone is less likely to freak out about seeing a gun...

I am very careful about that type of scenario, I do not bend over but instead do a deep leg squat to access lower areas, as well I do a one knee drop to pick up dropped items, it's good exercise for a 57 year old to do just for grins anyway.... the only time I have ever had problems is during high winds and trying to pump gas, which requires one elbow as the side or a quick tuck into the pocket of my shirt tail....

I don't like SOB holsters because someone can approach you from behind and disarm you, especially if you're in a crowd. And the "badge" issue has already been poo-poo'ed by those who know - the LEOs themselves. I have asked several of them up here and locally about this issue, and I now know that it is NOT a good idea. And it will save you about $50, the cost of that badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back