Anybody carrying a small .45?

Nothing wrong with picking up a used weapon if you know it has been checked out...Most of the time you can save a few bucks...If I was going to drop this amount I would be looking at a different weapon...For the compact 45s I'm a big supporter of a total stainless steel as the extra weight will help with recoil and muzzle flip...My Warthog 45 compact has less recoil than my Glock 27 - 40cal......Now don't get me wrong I love my Glock but the Warthog fit's my hand just as good as the Glock....The only downside is the weapon has more weight, and you might find that bothers you if you carry all day...I was use to carrying two weapons for years and still do.

I don't mind a good used weapon. My P229 is a LEO trade-in and I got a helluva deal on it, factory refurb with trijicons for $700 on GB. It's the older model too. Made in 2005 or so, smaller extractor, never had a problem with it. I just sold all of my Glocks. Not a huge fan of the action on them. I can pick up an XD, Sig, H&K (theoretically) and pull the trigger the same way, accurate shots. With Glocks I gotta modify my trigger pull and I don't like that. So now I carry my P229 in the winter and my XDS when something smaller is warranted. 7 rds of .45 ACP is plenty.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I have been carrying a Colt 1991 45acp (Officer Model) for years. It is used because I carried it since I bought it ten yrs ago. I always carry one extra magazine, sometimes two. In summers I carry a Bersa 380.
Generally I run two magazines of ammo through it a week, sometimes more.

Last edited:
I will carry my XDS when I get it back from Springfield. Probably also carry one of my 9s along with it.

I have 2 that I carry from time to time that I quite like. The first is the Glock 30SF and it is one of my favorite pieces. The second is a Citadel 3.5" 1911. Very different but both are very effective, and concealable, especially during winters in the Upper Midwest.

I carry the MP45c model. I find it to be a 'perfect' size compact--not too small and not too large. For me, it can be carried IWB with little trouble and is very concealable that way. I only carry OWB now because I find a high-ride OWB to be far more comfortable, doesn't require a special wardrobe, and is concealable enough under most anything I wear. I do go smaller (Kahr K40) when the clothing is just not right.

This is probably the handgun I shoot the most accurately of all, and I get consistently excellent hits right out of the holster, no goofing around. I also find it an excellent IDPA gun in CDP division, and when set up with Trijicons it's just a little package that really gives me a high level of confidence. Of course, when you've got 8+1 in a super comfortable, rather slender package, well that goes a long way toward confidence as well. I believe +P loads in this gun are perfectly manageable with good ramp-up and conditioning of the shooter. I actually don't carry it much at all anymore, since I discovered 10mm and the Glock 29. But, I don't feel there's really anything 'better' available than the MP45c for 45 CCW.

I shot the little XDS just one time and didn't go for that at all. I have what I consider somewhat short stubby fingers and medium sized hands, and I found it just felt unpleasant. I can see it as a fine backup, but I don't do backup. For something that small I'm just going to go with the K40. For me, I think the XDS would be a blast to shoot if the grip had a big fat rubber sleeve over it. As I ranted on and on about elsewhere though, it's silly to shoot 5 rds in any handgun and decide anything at all. I had to give the Kahr more like 1,500 rds before I felt I was getting to know it. With well over 20,000 rds through the MP45c, I guess it has an unfair advantage. :)

I carry every day, a Kahr CW40 or Ruger SR9c. I carry at least 2 reloads for the Kahr and 1 reload for the SR9c. I pocket carry both with ease.

No! I'm not a giant, however I make sure that my pockets are large enough for the job!

I have the exact same set up PT 145 with the Alien Gear holster. Great holster for and you can't beat the price unless you count the On Your 6 designs Kydex holster. I have one for my XDSC. It conceals great and is so comfortable it is like wearing nothing.

Up until last week I had a G36 and liked it, just wanted something smaller. I like .45 and for a small gun it shot very well....BUT my 9mm's and J-Frame hide much better. Either way though, good gun.

Don't remember if I said this or not, but went with the meprolights. Orange front, green rears. White dots in daylight. Use a rail light, and may still see the mepros with it on at night.

Got mine back from SA, and the trigger is glass smooth to break now, but slightly heavier pull. Shooting a few inches low now, but that is me pulling low with the new trigger. I crammed 1300 rounds through it before it went back for the upgrade, will have to dry fire practice for the "feel" now.

It's amazing that slight changes or modifications to the trigger upset my routine. Not worried about a few inches low until I get the new "feel".

Oh, it was the XD-S .45. I carry the 5-round mag +1 when in the holster, a 7-round mag for my first backup mag, and another 5-rounder for the second backup mag. I also have another two 5-rounders in another mag pouch. But carrying 28 rounds plus the gun was a bit much for my belt and trousers (kept having to pull 'em up), so scaled back to 6 in the sidearm, the seven round mag, and another five round mag.

Chances are I'm in over my head if it takes the first 6 rounds anyway.

My two choices were the .45 XD-S or M&P Shield. The Shield lost because of the safety. Never looked back.

I carry a kimber pro cdp , The mid size 1911 is lighter and easier to conceal than a full size 1911. I like a full size grip to help with accuracy and controled follow up shots. I have much less control of a short grip short barrel pistol. I can conceal my kimber just fine in winter with a owb holster and I use a iwb holster in summer. I do have friends that carry the ultra kimbers , it just doesn't work for me. I wish you luck with your search for a small ccw pistol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back