Anybody carrying a small .45?

Springfield xd-s 45acp
I love this gun as my carry gun. Extremely accurate, slim, lite, and a lot less recoil then would be expected in a gun this size. My wife is five foot two inches tall and loves shooting my XDS so much, she wants her own.

No it actually happens when I shoot not when I insert the mags (even though that's a PITA too). The pad of my pinkie naturally fits right into that gap perfectly. Result, every time a round goes off, pinch! Slam in a mag, even worse. I didn't even realize that's what did it last time...blamed it in my XDS.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

On my wifes 26 and my 27, had the same problem, it will take some fussing around but mix up just a small amount of quik dry epoxy, and after preping the surface put jus a very small amount on the edge of the mag extention thats biteing you, when cured dress up with a small file and sandpaper, color it with a magic marker, and if you did a nice job, will work fine, and will not see any modification

Springfield xd-s 45acp
I love this gun as my carry gun. Extremely accurate, slim, lite, and a lot less recoil then would be expected in a gun this size. My wife is five foot two inches tall and loves shooting my XDS so much, she wants her own.
^^^ This. The low boreline gives the XD-S recoil a hard push, instead of a snappy, can't hang on to it muzzle flip. It is manageable. Practice a high grip purchase, without getting slide-bitten, and it is a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
^^^ This. The low boreline gives the XD-S recoil a hard push, instead of a snappy, can't hang on to it muzzle flip. It is manageable. Practice a high grip purchase, without getting slide-bitten, and it is a joy to shoot.

That's just my natural grip on the gun otherwise my pinkie would be curled around under the mag even 5 rd mags. I gotta watch my thumb and index finger thoungh. I've almost rested them over the gap between the receiver/frame and slide.

Except my S&W 44mag.....She will bite on both ends..

You want bite? 500 Mag 4 inch barrel with a 400-500 grain bullit, no matter how big and bad you think you are that gun will correct you, honestly its probably the most impractical gun I have ever owned, and had to trade off a couple of nice ones for it, once you get used to it you can carry it, and it go's so far beyond cool at the range, its worth it, and for what I got it for, I can always get my money back out of it

You want bite? 500 Mag 4 inch barrel with a 400-500 grain bullit, no matter how big and bad you think you are that gun will correct you, honestly its probably the most impractical gun I have ever owned

Talk about impractical, my cousin's husband carries a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454. Who carries a 5-shooter chambered for .45LC and .454 Casull? I think he's compensating because he's like 5'9 and a buck 60 at the most.

Springfield XDS is great if you have a 7 round extended mag. I have tiny hands for a guy my size and my right hand still overlaps the grip so I gotta curl it up under the mag with the 5 round ones that come with the gun. This is my first XD series pistol and so far it blows Glocks outta the water. If anyone has small hands I strongly suggest they not buy the Glock 30 or SF model. There's a good sized gap between the magwell and the mag extension (big polymer block that extends the grip about a quarter inch)...I shot my G30SF Gen 3 yesteday and pinched my pinkie, got a nice blood blister. Forces me to mod my grip by stretching my pinkie to curl it around the extension which I don't feel comfortable doing for any gun much less an EDC.

I pick up the XDs this week and also order the talon grip and the pearce grip, the pearce grip get you that little hold for your pinkie.

The XDs is a great weapon, kind of tough to get right now, price for what it is to me anyways is high, personaly I would rather spend a couple of hundred more dollars and get a sub compact 1911, I have shot the XDs and Sheild in 40 and 9mm, the 40 flat out hurts, the 9mm is not bad still it gives you a good sting, same for the XDs but the 45 really has its own feel really more like a push than a wack.....the best thing to do is definatly before you but any of the small frame guns no matter what the caliber, if you can rent or borrow one first

I pick this up Tuesday and I went to the range today.
Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

I let my pinkie curl underneath the mag. I just let it hang there. Hasn't affected me at all. Thought about the pinkie extension, but thought it was a bit too large for my taste. 7 round mags are good for backup, but would never use one as a primary carry.

Talk about impractical, my cousin's husband carries a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454. Who carries a 5-shooter chambered for .45LC and .454 Casull? I think he's compensating because he's like 5'9 and a buck 60 at the most.

I never shot a Alaskan, but I did have a 7inch barrel 454, and judgeing from that the Alaskan would almost make the 500 seem tame, I think because the 454 rds are loaded to the guns absolute max, the 45-70 in one of those Magnum Research revolvers is also something else, ether way they are all a real handful

I shot his Alaskan once, 45LC and 454, it actually wasn't that bad and I have an arthritic wrist because of some torn ligaments and have had three surgeries on my arm. Obviously you don't wanna shoot it one handed like in "Faster" (which is coincidentally why he bought it in the first place) but with a firm grip, not bad.

I recently bought a Citadel 1911 3.5" compact and love it. Heavy enough to absorb much of the recoil but small enough to be easily concealable. A big power weapon in a small package. And it is a great shooter out to 25 yards. If the BG is further away than that, I can run.

I think the right answer will depend on your intended use of the weapon. If it is for outdoor carry where any threat might be 4 legged, and over penetration is no problem, I would prefer the .357 magnum revolver. Lint and pocket "dust" usually won't effect it. For in town carry, I might recommend the same weapon but loaded with .38 special+P rounds. My BUG is a .357 mag loaded with +P HP rounds backing up one of my .45s.

I carry a Colt Defender in a Crossbreed Supertuck and I'd personally go with the .45 for the reason you're thinking but go with whatever you will have the most confidence in.

This thread has stretched out a few pages....I still carry my Para Stainless Warthog 45 and my Glock 27. One IWB and one ankle...I find the 45 has less recoil than my 27 Glock...I'm sure the weight of the 45 being stainless is the reason.

Very different guns and I love them for the differences...I have not had a FTF with either...I would not have the blue model or the Warthog as everyone I've seen has finish issues with the blue job after a couple of months... Also they look like the frame is aluminum ....I wanted a totally stainless for the weight and durability.

I carry a 24/7 Pro C. I compared it to my cousin's Glock 26 and it's very similar in size & weight. (Just a little heavier) But, I have 11 rounds of 45acp. (13 if I use the extended mag)

It's even small enough for me to slip it in the pocket of my favorite jeans. (Using a pocket holster of course)

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back