Anybody carrying a small .45?

I certainly like the idea of a tiny .45 ACP. I'm sure the pistol isn't much fun to shoot, but that's certainly isn't it's purpose. I'd feel more comfortable with it than my little .380 pocket pistol.

Has anybody shot the shot the springfield he's talking about?

Last Sunday I shoot a friend's .45 Springfield sub compact, kicks hard too. I'd rather stick to my full size .45acp.

You/d rather not get into a gunfight, too, right? Especially when you are unarmed, cause that GM is too big and heavy to always ccw? Or almost as bad, practice/compete a lot with a 1911, and then carry a .38 snub, totally different "feel". Bill Wilson put a barrel bushing shaped flange on the front of his short model 1911's barrels, so that it could "ride" back along the full length recoil spring guide. this eliminates the risk that is always present with the short guns, which is the barrel's tipping at the wrong time in the feed cycle, screwing up the chambering stroke.

Thank you Rocket geezer
I have checked out the G36. I am becoming addicted to the 1911 platform partially because I can dress them up some and have a more personalized weapon. Link Removed
But after reading and studying ballistic tables I'm beginning to rethink my 3" barrels and I am leaning to 5" barrels to get the most out of my ammunition for tactual and self defense situations.
I know exactly what you meen, since I got on the 1911 kick my collection of Glocks has went down a lot, on tradeing it worked out to about 2 and half Glocks per 1911, LOL, currintly I have a Defender, Commander, and a full size stainless Springfield, you mentioned going with the longer 5 instead of the 3 inch setup, I have to agree that the 3 inch guns are a bit more touchy to get to run 100%, and after 3 or 4 trys with other makes the Defender is flawless, for going past 1000 rds, absolutly no issues, as with the other colt and Springfield, one thing you may want to ck before tradeing, is to give yourself a honest test and shoot the bigger guns, aside that they wont conceal as well I found that at self defence ranges I was really no better with the 4 or 5 inch than I was with the Defender, at the range I group as well or better with the Defender as with the others, maybe its cause I have shot it a lot, but still at 15 yds if I am with it that day I can group a quarter with the Defender, the others can do close and if I really try maybe even match it but never better

Groups are not the real test. the test is keeping your hits on the chest, at 3, 6, 9 yds, at the same SPEED. It can't be done at the longer range, using a Defender, as compared to the Gov't model, but that is extreme long range, 9 yds, when it's for real.

Groups are not the real test. the test is keeping your hits on the chest, at 3, 6, 9 yds, at the same SPEED. It can't be done at the longer range, using a Defender, as compared to the Gov't model, but that is extreme long range, 9 yds, when it's for real.

At 3, 6, 9, yds I think I'm better with the Defender than the longer ones, at 25 yds (longest we practiced at) I'm about the same at 100 yds I can hit the large torso target, with the Defender, a bit better with the others, but I'm far from accurate, theres substantial bullit drop at 100yds, but a 100+yd shot with a 45 ACP, is something most never worry about

u THINK so, because you don't shoot on an electronic timer, and cause you don't know what REAL speed of hitting IS. A top hand can get repeat hits in .18 second, all day long, using a 1911 variant. sometimes, the time in between hits is as low as .11 second. The revolver guy, Jerry Miculek, averages .14 second, for each of 8 shots. :) nOw I know that the ignorant here scoff at such times, but they are FACT, and if you will take the trouble to google for Brian Enos's forums, you will see that top IPSC competitors beat these times on a regular basis.

They have very special equipment that helps them to obtain these speeds. Lighter lbs trigger pull, faster reload and cycle times. These guns are made for one purpose only. They also fire daily...No way the average Joe could do this with off shelf equipment.

That said with the financial resources and time every shooter can greatly improve their times...But let's think of this a little different...How fast could you be when the adrenalin is flowing, and bullets are coming back at you...Make a huge difference.

I carry the Xds .45 for my EDC; looking to order the 7-round extended magazine. I know shot placement is key WTSHTF, but 5-6 round capacity is cuttin it close....

When I'm in Iowa, Wisconsin, or Missouri or any other state that recognizes my permits but not in my home state of Chicago...I mean Illinois, my EDC is either my XDs or Glock 30SF (despite the SF, it's still a really big gun). I STRONGLY suggest you pick up a few 7 round extended mags, they make a helluva difference and they're only $32+shipping at Midway. Those 5rd mags are too small even for me and I have SMALL hands...pinched my pinky between the backstrap and the mag and I got a giant blood blister heh. Not to mention 5+1 is cutting it close even for a .45 ACP like you said. But if you don't miss, it won't matter :p

That XDs is hands down the most accurate pistol I've ever shot...period. It's my first Springfield XD series pistol but won't be my last. Thinking about selling my G22 Gen 4 and grabbing a comparable XD or XD(M). I just wish they'd come out with more accessories for the XDs like Trijicon HDs.

Last Sunday I shoot a friend's .45 Springfield sub compact, kicks hard too. I'd rather stick to my full size .45acp.

Too much recoil on an XDs? I didn't have that problem. In fact, that pistol has less recoil than my Glock 30SF. Only problem I have with my new XDs is when I loaded a stock 5 round mag, the damn grip is so small that I pinched my pinky between the mag floor plate and the backstrap...gave myself a nice blood blister. I have EXTREMELY small hands for a guy my size (6'2", 190-200 lbs, depending on how my metabolism is feeling) but with the 7 round extended mags, problem solved. Took one of my buddies shooting a few weeks ago and he's got dinner-plate sized hands but the gun fit like a glove with the 7 round extended mag. He served a tour in Iraq and another in Afghanistan, hates polymers (calls them plastic pieces of ****) but loved the pistol so much that he's ditching his plan to buy an FN FiveseveN and picking up an XDs instead.

My Warthog hold 10 +1. Recoil on the 45 is less than my Glock 27 40cal...My Warthog is stainless and has some heft to it...

I at times carry my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry. Normally though I grab my Sig P238. Why? I guess it is just easier to hide and I keep it real handy so I grab it. If I had a holster for the Kimber like I do for the Sig I would carry it all the time. I use the holster that Sig supplied with the gun. It snaps or I should say slides over my belt clips on and away I go. Haven't found a holster quite like it for the Kimber.

Springfield XDS is great if you have a 7 round extended mag. I have tiny hands for a guy my size and my right hand still overlaps the grip so I gotta curl it up under the mag with the 5 round ones that come with the gun. This is my first XD series pistol and so far it blows Glocks outta the water. If anyone has small hands I strongly suggest they not buy the Glock 30 or SF model. There's a good sized gap between the magwell and the mag extension (big polymer block that extends the grip about a quarter inch)...I shot my G30SF Gen 3 yesteday and pinched my pinkie, got a nice blood blister. Forces me to mod my grip by stretching my pinkie to curl it around the extension which I don't feel comfortable doing for any gun much less an EDC.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Yeah,
The first time i 'slapped' a mag into my G30SF, I had a sizable chunk pinched off...
Bled like a stuck hog!
I'm much more careful now.

No it actually happens when I shoot not when I insert the mags (even though that's a PITA too). The pad of my pinkie naturally fits right into that gap perfectly. Result, every time a round goes off, pinch! Slam in a mag, even worse. I didn't even realize that's what did it last time...blamed it in my XDS.

No, I don't carry a little .45 but I do carry a big one, does that count? =P

Crossbreed style iwb, you can carry and conceal just about anything.

If you carry two 45s would that count twice, then if you substituted one of the 45s for maybe a short 500 mag that should definatly count three times :sarcastic:

No it actually happens when I shoot not when I insert the mags (even though that's a PITA too). The pad of my pinkie naturally fits right into that gap perfectly. Result, every time a round goes off, pinch! Slam in a mag, even worse. I didn't even realize that's what did it last time...blamed it in my XDS.

I'm going to try shooting mine w/7 rnd mag without the rubber sleeve. If it doesn't throw me off, I'll leave it off. It'll make the mag easier to carry, too.

Pearce makes a grip extension for the xds.Fits my hand perfect.I have 2 of the 7 round mags and dont care for them.Makes the gun too long.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/AtlasFBG2/DSCF0734.jpg

Springfield XDS is great if you have a 7 round extended mag. I have tiny hands for a guy my size and my right hand still overlaps the grip so I gotta curl it up under the mag with the 5 round ones that come with the gun. This is my first XD series pistol and so far it blows Glocks outta the water. If anyone has small hands I strongly suggest they not buy the Glock 30 or SF model. There's a good sized gap between the magwell and the mag extension (big polymer block that extends the grip about a quarter inch)...I shot my G30SF Gen 3 yesteday and pinched my pinkie, got a nice blood blister. Forces me to mod my grip by stretching my pinkie to curl it around the extension which I don't feel comfortable doing for any gun much less an EDC.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back