Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

Pele

VA State CCW Holder!
Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"

It depends on where you are. Some states require notification, some do not. That's the first determiner.

I live in Kalifornia (notification not required). Gun's are not PC. Most cops I'm sure would be OK with a CCW but some will not be. I would never notify in Los Angeles. The Cops have an average time in the job of less than 5 years. The Chief hates citizens having guns. If I were in one of the counties known to be gun friendly I might notify but not to a young cop. I've heard too many stories on cops who want to take possession of the gun, unload it, and who have no familiarity with guns other than the one they carry.

It depends on where you are. Some states require notification, some do not. That's the first determiner.

Agreed. I live in NC and we're required to notify. However, I think I would elect to notify no matter where I am. If you're carrying legally, you should have nothing to worry about, even with an overzealous rookie. I'd prefer to notify over having the LEO catch a glimpse (for whatever reason) on their own and go into panic mode. I don't like kissing pavement.

I've been stopped once since I got my carry permit. I did not notify. I do not want an untrained or poorly trained Officer putting me in danger while he is trying to unload my gun. To each his own.

I also have a carry permit for Idaho. I might notify if I were stopped in Idaho (it is not required there either). It would depend on the officer and how I judged him.

In NH, I beleive your plate is run along with the check. Basically the LEO already knows You Carry (in the System). Have'nt been stopped.......yet, since I've carried. IF and when I do, I will keep My hands on the steering wheel across from each other. When the officer asks for Lic. and Reg. I will inform them THEN that I have a LTC. Then and there I will wait for their instruction/s. Me personally wouldn't give a speach as far as...........
"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?". Or anything similiar. I would still inform them whatever Rank.
In MA., I'm not 100% sure. I hear different answers (unless someone on here can actually clarify), but I would still inform the Officer that I indeed have a LTC. As mentioned on here, if You are not breaking the law, then You should not have a problem. If I do get an "uneducated" officer then I guess I'll have too deal with their ego. In the end I know I did everything correct and will deal with it later. (meaning, if I got arrested etc.)
As long as You're not breaking the law, just smile :pleasantry:.

Here in Michigan buy law you have to tell the Officer and I believe give him your CCW and DL no matter what he is....State, County, Local.

After Wearing A Uniform For 20+ Years...

I will always let the officer know out of professional courtesy. They have a tough enough job and the fewer surprises they get the better off we all are. 99% of ALL cops I have talked to prefer to be told up front. They may relieve you of your weapon during a traffic stop...but look at some of the very scary dash cam video of cops being shot at point blank range. Even with a vest that stuff hurts. Many will thank you for the heads up and leave you in charge of your weapon because you are being up-front and obviously have nothing to hide.
There are only a few that go full blown ape nuts over legal ownership and possession of a weapon. These guys are easy enough to deal with. Simply ask for a supervisor and file a formal complaint. Follow up on the complaint with internal affairs and bad cops don't last long.

I was pulled over one night in KY. My TN permit is valid in KY. My tail lights were out because of a bad fuse. I rolled down my window and he told me right away that my tail lights were out and then asked for my DL. I hand him my DL and CCW at the same time. He asked where my the weapon was and I told him in my right pocket (P3AT). He said just keep it there and returned to his car I'm guessing to run my DL and CCW. He returned a few minutes later, handed me my DL/CCW, thanks me for telling him I had a weapon and assisted me with replacing the fuse. I guess it was a slow night. All in all a positive encounter. :laugh:

I was stopped and didn't tell the officer I had a CC permit because I didn't have my weapon with me.
I just handed him my drivers licence and when he came back to the vehicle he asked why I didn't tell him I had a CC permit.
I told him under the Ohio law I only needed to inform him if I was carring.
After reading BigSlicks post I will from now on hand them my CC and drivers licence no matter if I am carring or not, nomally I am.
Debray

Hmm, I seem to be on the outside on this one. If I'm not required by law to do so, then I see it as one more thing to deal with at the side of the road, rather than just getting the stop over with and going on my merry way. Now, if asked if there are any weapons in the vehicle, I will then say "I do have a LCF, and yes, my firearm is located ____." Also, If I am asked to step out of the vehicle, there is a good chance I will be patted down. In that case, before moving at all, I would say, "OK, I want you to know that I have a LCF and my firearm is located ____, how would you like me to proceed?"

When I get pulled over, even though I'm not happy about the stop, I'm as polite as possible, "yes sir/ no sir", etc. just to try and set the tone for an uneventfull stop. In reality I'm trying to be nice enough to get away with just a warning. But at the very least, if the time does come to inform the officer, I've already done my best to demonstrate that I am a peaceful citizen who means him no harm.

BTW, I haven't been pulled over since I got my LCF. I don't know if PA links it to your DL or not. I suppose my opinion could change after the next time I'm pulled over, if I find out the they are linked, and if having not told him up front leads to a bigger headache. I tend to adjust my behavior based on experience, not prediction.

I live in NC. As stated before we are obligated to inform the LEO. I have been through traffic checks as well as being stopped. I always tell the officer I have a CCW and I am armed. I then leave the next step up to the LEO. Most times at traffic checks I am only asked for license and nothing else. I still tell. You never know when you have a gung ho officer on your hands. When I advise of my CCW and that I am armed I have complied with statute. :big_boss:

I have been through a couple of DUI checkpoints and one speeding ticket. On all occasions I notified the officer if I was carrying and only had one very minor problem in Florida with a rookie (or so I presume). LEO's seem to be more relaxed when you are up front with them.

Like utimmer43, if the law does not require it, I would rather not bring attention to the fact that I am carrying.

Keep your wallet in your hands. If the LEO shows any inclination to search (such as asking you to step out of the vehicle), then hand over your permit and say something like "My guns are (locations)."

I've been in two traffic stops, and been pulled over once (speeding). The subject of carrying was never brought up. Got no tickets, either!:pleasantry:

I will always let the officer know out of professional courtesy. They have a tough enough job and the fewer surprises they get the better off we all are. 99% of ALL cops I have talked to prefer to be told up front. They may relieve you of your weapon during a traffic stop...but look at some of the very scary dash cam video of cops being shot at point blank range. Even with a vest that stuff hurts. Many will thank you for the heads up and leave you in charge of your weapon because you are being up-front and obviously have nothing to hide.
There are only a few that go full blown ape nuts over legal ownership and possession of a weapon. These guys are easy enough to deal with. Simply ask for a supervisor and file a formal complaint. Follow up on the complaint with internal affairs and bad cops don't last long.

What does your legally carrying a concealed weapon have to do with a legally conducted traffic stop? There is no surprise because it doesn't come up. There is no scary dash cam video possible because you are a law abiding citizen simply executing your Constitutional right. Do you notify him that you are capable of having a political discussion with him over the law he wants to impose?

I have no problem with anyone who wants to notify but I do believe that presents the possibility of everyone involved being put in danger if the officer decides to take possession of the gun.

I was stopped last November in Idaho and didn't notify. I'm an Idaho resident but have a Washington non-resident CCW which Idaho accepts, I live on the border and need it for both states and Washington won't accept Idaho's.

Frankly the reason I didn't notify is because I didn't even think about it at the time. The trooper didn't even ask for my license. It was dusk and raining and he asked me to turn my lights on. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have access to Washington's CCW records via my Idaho license anyway.

I thought about it later of course, but if he had asked me to exit the car I might have remembered earlier.....:)

I saw a video that sums this up farily well. It was done for one of the gun magazines with Massad Ayoob. Mr. Ayoob said to not say the word "gun" as in "Officer, I have a gun." Instead, whe he asks for your drivers license, also give him you carry ID and ask him "What do you want me to do." The reason he gave for not saying "gun" was because there might be a rookie LEO on the passenger side of the car and he might not hear everything being said but he will hear "Gun."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back