Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

I really don't think it's a right or wrong answer for this question. I really don't know what I would do if put in that situation. If I got pulled over for a speeding/brake light, I really don't want to volunteer any info. Give me my ticket and let me go! I feel like if you are carrying your weapon you should not be speeding anyway, becasue it will only bring unnecessary attention to yourself. A ticket could turn into in their eyes a felony traffic stop, which means 3-4 units and all the bells and whistles .

I was pulled over one night in KY. My TN permit is valid in KY. My tail lights were out because of a bad fuse. I rolled down my window and he told me right away that my tail lights were out and then asked for my DL. I hand him my DL and CCW at the same time. He asked where my the weapon was and I told him in my right pocket (P3AT). He said just keep it there and returned to his car I'm guessing to run my DL and CCW. He returned a few minutes later, handed me my DL/CCW, thanks me for telling him I had a weapon and assisted me with replacing the fuse. I guess it was a slow night. All in all a positive encounter. :laugh:

that's cool he did that makes him that much more respectable :biggrin:

I saw a video that sums this up farily well. It was done for one of the gun magazines with Massad Ayoob. Mr. Ayoob said to not say the word "gun" as in "Officer, I have a gun." Instead, whe he asks for your drivers license, also give him you carry ID and ask him "What do you want me to do." The reason he gave for not saying "gun" was because there might be a rookie LEO on the passenger side of the car and he might not hear everything being said but he will hear "Gun."

Good advice from Mr. Ayoob.

We are required to divulge the information in SC. We're told that we now have 2 ID cards, one for state (DL) and one for federal (CWP). They must both be presented to LEOs.

We're told that we now have 2 ID cards, one for state (DL) and one for federal (CWP). They must both be presented to LEOs.
CWP= Federal ID? That doesn't sound right. Is that to say that you must present your CWP even if you are not in possession of a weapon?

Agreed. I live in NC and we're required to notify. However, I think I would elect to notify no matter where I am. If you're carrying legally, you should have nothing to worry about, even with an overzealous rookie. I'd prefer to notify over having the LEO catch a glimpse (for whatever reason) on their own and go into panic mode. I don't like kissing pavement.

I live in N.C. also and in class they said your plate was flagged when you get the license.You have to show your drivers license and ccl at the same time. I'm with you show your ccl and be on the safe side.

Suppose you're out for a drive and you've got a tail light out... Or you're doing a bit above the speed limit and you just had a nice set of headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers put on your car...

Regardless, you're now on the side of the road with a blue light special behind you.

Officer comes to the door and asks for your license and registration... Do you inform him that you are in possession of a concealed handgun or not?

Does the matter that it's the sherrif, a local county officer, or a state trooper change your option?

I think the DMV here flags your plates when you get a CCW. I've always thought it's a good idea to inform.

"Officer, I understand you go through a lot of risk in your line of duty, I would like to minimize this risk and inform you that I am in possession of a Concealed Weapon permit and I do have the weapon on my person (or in the car) The weapon is on my left hip (or next to the emergency brake handle in the center console). My license and registration are in my left front pocket. How would you like to proceed?"
Yes, tell the officer you are carring, both hand on the wheel, they appreciate that plus if they find out by accident it can get ugly, as far as the dmv flaging tags to identify us makes us prone to theft and puts us at risk to the bad guys!

Yes, tell the officer you are carring, both hand on the wheel, they appreciate that plus if they find out by accident it can get ugly, as far as the dmv flaging tags to identify us makes us prone to theft and puts us at risk to the bad guys!

How easy is it for some random dude to just get DMV records?

I work on cars and had to find the registered owner of a car that was left on my property for over a month to get a title. They wouldn't give me that even though I was in possession of the car and keys and everything...

I eventually had to crush it into scrap metal, which sucks because I was out a couple grand because of that.

I guess I'm also in the minority here.

If I'm carrying, I wouldn't inform a LEO since my home state (PA) doesn't require me to. And, contrary to popular belief, I'm not required to give him a yes/no answer to the question "Do you have any weapons on you?" I can stay silent or answer with a question "What's the problem, officer?".

Only if he has reasonable suspicion that you have a firearm can he require the LTCF.

In my opinion, my right to travel and live freely trumps the officer's rights to restrict them. He should have PC before going on fishing expeditions. Plus, if I inform him that I am indeed carrying, there's a fair chance of him going into panic mode and thinking I'm going to draw and unload on him. In the end, since that would almost never be my intention, it would be safer to just not bring it up if you aren't required to.

Then again, I'm big on the exercise of rights and the restriction of government from intruding on the personal lives of those it governs. Each one of us has to figure out for ourselves how far we are willing to let government in on our lives.

in Texas ccw is linked with dmv
i don't know if it is required by law to tell
but once they run your licence, your ccw will be known

in Texas ccw is linked with dmv
i don't know if it is required by law to tell
but once they run your licence, your ccw will be known

This may be true in alot of states. But just because you have a permit doesn't necessarily mean you are in possession. The way I see it, if you are in a state that doesn't require you to notify, and they run your DL and it comes up that you have a carry permit, that is enough of a notification. At that point, if it is a big enough concern to the officer, they will approach with caution and ask if you have a weapon.

I guess I'm also in the minority here.

If I'm carrying, I wouldn't inform a LEO since my home state (PA) doesn't require me to. And, contrary to popular belief, I'm not required to give him a yes/no answer to the question "Do you have any weapons on you?" I can stay silent or answer with a question "What's the problem, officer?".

Only if he has reasonable suspicion that you have a firearm can he require the LTCF.

In my opinion, my right to travel and live freely trumps the officer's rights to restrict them. He should have PC before going on fishing expeditions. Plus, if I inform him that I am indeed carrying, there's a fair chance of him going into panic mode and thinking I'm going to draw and unload on him. In the end, since that would almost never be my intention, it would be safer to just not bring it up if you aren't required to.

Then again, I'm big on the exercise of rights and the restriction of government from intruding on the personal lives of those it governs. Each one of us has to figure out for ourselves how far we are willing to let government in on our lives.

You are not the only one to think like that but you are right we seem to be in the minority. I might notify the officer in a gun friendly state (on the off chance it might give me brownie points) but never in my gun unfriendly home state of Kalifornia. I am not required to notify and I won't.

For me it would depend

Washington does not require notification but if there were any chance the officer would see the gun, e.g., suit coat falling open as I reach for my license or the registration and insurance, then I would certainly tell him/her before I made the reach. If no chance it could be seen, e.g. under sweatshirt and zipped up jacket, I probably would not. Of course, they're going to see my DPA badge when I get out my license and my CPL rides behind my license so that is likely to defuse any possible problems.

when I took a free Firearms course from my local Sheriff's department the Instructor whom is an LEO stated that here in Georgia we do not have to notify LEO's unless they ask us to step out of the car. then he said we should inform the LEO I have a GFL and I am Armed what would you like for me to do now?

when I took a free Firearms course from my local Sheriff's department the Instructor whom is an LEO stated that here in Georgia we do not have to notify LEO's unless they ask us to step out of the car. then he said we should inform the LEO I have a GFL and I am Armed what would you like for me to do now?

Georgia doesn't have a "notify LEO" law, so you don't have to inform anyone that you are carrying. Even if he asks you to step out of the car, you still don't have to inform him. You can inform if you so choose, but you are under no obligation to do so.

It's a good idea to figure out what you want to say/do in that type of situation now -- before you ever need to worry about it. This way, the intimidation and scare factors don't come into play on the side of the LEO. You can already have a plan set in motion in case you ever need it, and you get to protect your rights at the same time.

BTW, here's a website for you since you live in Georgia: Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

In Idaho you are required to show your DL and CWP and I personaly believe you should tell the officer just out of courtesy.As long as you are not involved in criminal activty there will be no problem:no:

In Idaho you are required to show your DL and CWP and I personaly believe you should tell the officer just out of courtesy.As long as you are not involved in criminal activty there will be no problem:no:

When did this change? I've been misinformed then.

You do not have to present your carry permit to the officer in Idaho unless it's a very recent change.

I don't understand how it is courtesy to notify an officer. Is it courtesy to tell him you have a carton of milk and a box of twinkies?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back