Would you shoot down a drone over your back yard?

Link Removed

Google maps shows Earlywood Way in Bullitt County as a populated residential area. So, what are your thoughts? I go both ways on this one. I can understand William Meredith's actions at wanting to destroy it, I would want to; at the same time I also understand the danger to nearby neighbors from shooting into the air. If the drone was low enough, hit it with a water stream? Paintball gun?

As far a civil suit for destroying the drone - no way would I rule against Meredith. The owner's of the drone should not have been flying it over other people's property.

Very enjoyable replies! Fun reading.

Since no one else stepped up to the plate with the law facts, I will. As one of those drone flyers, I must know the laws. I'll just keep it simple and to the facts:

1) Flying over someone else's private property is not against the law.
2) On the otherhand, flying to their bathroom window and recording the lady of the house in the shower IS against the law. Backyards are considered public areas and thus not out of bounds to fly over - and take all the video I want. Anything that can be seen from the sky is public area and I am free to fly over it - and record (assuming it is not a government posted area); I cannot fly to neighbors window and take pictures inside.
3) It is not a civil offense; it is a criminal offense to 'shoot it down' in any capacity (I can't resist one comment: do it and watch how fast your CCW license is pulled)

Since no one else stepped up to the plate with the law facts, I will. As one of those drone flyers, I must know the laws. I'll just keep it simple and to the facts:

2) On the otherhand, flying to their bathroom window and recording the lady of the house in the shower IS against the law. Backyards are considered public areas and thus not out of bounds to fly over - and take all the video I want. Anything that can be seen from the sky is public area and I am free to fly over it - and record (assuming it is not a government posted area); I cannot fly to neighbors window and take pictures inside.
3) It is not a civil offense; it is a criminal offense to 'shoot it down' in any capacity (I can't resist one comment: do it and watch how fast your CCW license is pulled)

Well, I guess it's time to get a drone of my own. And if my drone just happens due to lack of my flying ability to crash into your drone it's only an accidental mid-air collision. You better keep your drone the hell out of my back yard, I don't give a crap what the law is.

We need the "Like" button big time. In rural desert areas such as I live in, it would be easy for this old man to mistake it for something else, a flying saucer of which I fear greatly and look for each night. I saw E.T. 47 times and still cant sleep, also the original Blob with Steve McQueen so I have been edgy ever since. My problem would be what type of shot to use. Hey, in all reality, when I used to go bird hunting all I did was waste good shot, I know my limitations and this is one of them. In my area if a drone were to fly over and if I could shoot it down the pilot would be ashamed to admit I was able to hit it. Why is it Facebook is ok with LIKE buttons but this site is not?

(Sent via Morse code by two large rocks being beaten together)

Well, I guess it's time to get a drone of my own. And if my drone just happens due to lack of my flying ability to crash into your drone it's only an accidental mid-air collision. You better keep your drone the hell out of my back yard, I don't give a crap what the law is.

I was probably 9 or 10 when several of us went to the movies on Saturdays (back when kids could safely go to town), and we saw the original "The Blob".... It was a memorable movie.... and not in a good way :blink:

As for the missing 'like', I think Luke posted that is a software issue with a newer version of the software he upgraded to.

Depending on the state this is false. Usually one may record a neighbor bathing as long as they don't trespass on their property. One can stand in the road and zoom in the window. Some states rule if you don't want to be video'd or watched, close the curtains. And yes, in some states, shooting in the air or withing a certain distance of a structure or building is a misdemeanor.

Regarding criminal vs. civil, if one commits a criminal act and is found guilty or pleads, they may be sued in a civil action for the damage. Nothing bars the lawsuit from being filed. And since the shooter has already been convicted the tort has been established. The plaintiff may sue for the damage. In order to file suit in most states one must prove a tort occurred (established by the conviction), damage resulted (the broken drone) and the existence of a "close causal connection." It's fair game.

That being said, I would bring that drone down one way or another. And the owner would never see it again. Officer, I have no idea what he's talking about.

Depending on the state this is false. Usually one may record a neighbor bathing as long as they don't trespass on their property. One can stand in the road and zoom in the window. Some states rule if you don't want to be video'd or watched, close the curtains. And yes, in some states, shooting in the air or withing a certain distance of a structure or building is a misdemeanor.

Regarding criminal vs. civil, if one commits a criminal act and is found guilty or pleads, they may be sued in a civil action for the damage. Nothing bars the lawsuit from being filed. And since the shooter has already been convicted the tort has been established. The plaintiff may sue for the damage. In order to file suit in most states one must prove a tort occurred (established by the conviction), damage resulted (the broken drone) and the existence of a "close causal connection." It's fair game.

That being said, I would bring that drone down one way or another. And the owner would never see it again. Officer, I have no idea what he's talking about.

Most likely said drone is recording everything that happens in front of its lens and either simultaneously uploading to cloud storage, or transmitting the images via WiFi or cell carrier data to the operator's local device.

For the record, the above bolded statement was made by an attorney who appears to be suggesting that he would not only engage in destruction of another's private property, but would lie to law enforcement about it after the fact. Preceding that admission was proof that he knows a thing or two about the laws that would make him criminally culpable for violating, yet he would do it anyway. Crazy, simply crazy.

Blues

Most likely said drone is recording everything that happens in front of its lens and either simultaneously uploading to cloud storage, or transmitting the images via WiFi or cell carrier data to the operator's local device.

For the record, the above bolded statement was made by an attorney who appears to be suggesting that he would not only engage in destruction of another's private property, but would lie to law enforcement about it after the fact. Preceding that admission was proof that he knows a thing or two about the laws that would make him criminally culpable for violating, yet he would do it anyway. Crazy, simply crazy.

Blues

Sorry sir, didn't read the post. Won't read anything you write. Every post I ever read from you insulted someone. As such you're permanently relegated to the trash bin.

Sorry sir, didn't read the post. Won't read anything you write. Every post I ever read from you insulted someone. As such you're permanently relegated to the trash bin.

The world doesn't revolve around you...just maybe blues post was for everyone but you.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

The world doesn't revolve around you...just maybe blues post was for everyone but you.

I Don't care. He quoted me. He insulted me. His arrogance isn't worthy of a response. You kiss him if you like him. I simply don't care anything about his opinion.

So does this mean that BlueS and FF are good with a nosey neighbor flying their drown into your private back yard? Seems you are defending the drone operators.

I Don't care. He quoted me. He insulted me. His arrogance isn't worthy of a response. You kiss him if you like him. I simply don't care anything about his opinion.

You are having a hard time understanding what I wrote? Isn't worthy of a response...yet you still responded to him...you have some personal issues you should deal with...

So does this mean that BlueS and FF are good with a nosey neighbor flying their drown into your private back yard? Seems you are defending the drone operators.

Are you okay with discharging firearms in a neighborhood to take down a toy helicopter? Seems like you are defending negligent discharges.

You are having a hard time understanding what I wrote? Isn't worthy of a response...yet you still responded to him...you have some personal issues you should deal with...

Are you okay with discharging firearms in a neighborhood to take down a toy helicopter? Seems like you are defending negligent discharges.

His position on the topics is what isn't worthy of a response. By response I mean engaging him in debate on any topic. I'll always respond that I'm not reading the content of the post. Don't care to engage in a discussion with someone who can't respond without insulting. His post history is long, detailed and angry. Go give him a big kiss if you like him.

No, in fact I have suggested using something like one of the t-shirt guns used to lob t-shirt into the crowd at ball games.
Another idea would be one of these "t-shirt" guns where they fire t-shirts into the crowd at ball games. Shoot rags, netting, anything that would foul the props on the drone.
But read into it what ever the hell you want.......... :cool:

No, in fact I have suggested using something like one of the t-shirt guns used to lob t-shirt into the crowd at ball games.
I was thinking use a hose or fishing pole like the guy in CA. Can't shoot it. My friend's kid flies his copter at my house. He's not too good with it yet. i wouldn't knock down some innocent kid's drone but private investigators are using them to investigate, among other things, disability claims. If you're on disability or have an open worker's comp case, take these things seriously.

I hope I did not escalate the seeming arguments here... I simply wanted to post the legal fact that you cannot in any way make the drone crash simply because it goes over your property. Up until my post, no one gave this FACT. It is a crime. Civil suit can follow as others have stated.

THAT said, I feel similar to most: it DOES seem an invasion of privacy. But it is not by law. Drop it anyway you want, and if, as blue observed, the video feed being recorded on my phone will indict you. Use a stick if you want: if I have the video, you will be arrested, AND pay restitution - got $ 2000.00 handy to buy my replacement quad?

Now, do most of us "pilots" fly like that? HELL NO! I actually go AROUND any property not owned by me or public property IF I CAN. If I can't, then I am likely at 300ft altitude. If you give me the finger as I fly over, my HD camera will capture it in graphic detail. Most of us just are flying for the fun of the challenge to go 10-20 minutes without crashing. I split my time now between flying and shooting at my home range. Equal fun.

If one flew low over MY backyard, looking like spying on us, yes, I too would be thinking of ways to knock it down. But that does not make the criminal offense go away.

His position on the topics is what isn't worthy of a response. By response I mean engaging him in debate on any topic. I'll always respond that I'm not reading the content of the post. Don't care to engage in a discussion with someone who can't respond without insulting. His post history is long, detailed and angry. Go give him a big kiss if you like him.

You should take care of your homophobic personal issues.

Just reading into the same book as you.

I hope I did not escalate the seeming arguments here... I simply wanted to post the legal fact that you cannot in any way make the drone crash simply because it goes over your property. Up until my post, no one gave this FACT. It is a crime. Civil suit can follow as others have stated.

THAT said, I feel similar to most: it DOES seem an invasion of privacy. But it is not by law. Drop it anyway you want, and if, as blue observed, the video feed being recorded on my phone will indict you. Use a stick if you want: if I have the video, you will be arrested, AND pay restitution - got $ 2000.00 handy to buy my replacement quad?

Now, do most of us "pilots" fly like that? HELL NO! I actually go AROUND any property not owned by me or public property IF I CAN. If I can't, then I am likely at 300ft altitude. If you give me the finger as I fly over, my HD camera will capture it in graphic detail. Most of us just are flying for the fun of the challenge to go 10-20 minutes without crashing. I split my time now between flying and shooting at my home range. Equal fun.

If one flew low over MY backyard, looking like spying on us, yes, I too would be thinking of ways to knock it down. But that does not make the criminal offense go away.
Can't think of any law on the books that is violated if I remove that buzzing thing from above my head. There are laws against the discharge of firearms in certain areas but that's all I can think of. If a reasonable person believes the drone presents danger or he's at risk he may take action. No two incidents are the same and it really depends on that specific situation and how high the drone is.

There are, however, plenty of laws on harassment. Using FAA controlled airspace to commit intentional annoyance or alarm can make it more severe (aggravated harassment). There are other offenses against public order we should be aware of. We may not disrupt a religious service, funeral, burial, any lawful assembly or memorial service by making unreasonable noise or a disturbance. Just flying the drone in these areas isn't enough to be charged. To be illegal the act must be with intent to cause annoyance or alarm or recklessly creating a risk thereof. If someone keeps flying it over you for purposes of causing annoyance he is committing the misdemeanor. No one can "buzz" you either.

Even if you file suit and win there's not much you can do if the defendant doesn't pay-up. There's no jail time for a defendant who doesn't satisfy the judgment. You could try to lien his property or move for a wage garnishment but that costs more in lawyers fees which are not recoverable in most states. In small judgments it can be tough to get the money as the cost of recovery surpasses the loss. A lot of people never pay their judgment and for small amounts we eventually give-up. Their credit report does show the judgment though.

Here comes the attack. :fie:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back