Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I don't want the bad guy to know I'm armed, That is to my advantage.

I am curious how the "element of surprise" is to you advantage?

You can only use it after you have already been attacked and when you do need to deploy it, you must be fast enough to retrieve and deploy your firearm before the criminal detects you doing it and defends against your counter attack. Seems like wild west quick draw gunfighting to me.

*My dad would have been glad to see the fast draw wild west comment. He was a fast draw guy. House was filled with trophies. His holster hangs at the end of my desk.*
If you were a Perp, and about to commit a crime, who would you be sure to cover or take out first? The guy with the gun. The advantage of having a concealed weapon is not always about a personal attack.
You may not have the opportunity to pull your weapon. You may have to allow the crime to unfold. If your being beaten then using a cool head, thinking instead of panicking, and getting to your weapon will be in your favor.
Not to say there may not be a time when a fast draw wouldn't be in your favor.

If you were a Perp, and about to commit a crime, who would you be sure to cover or take out first? The guy with the gun. The advantage of having a concealed weapon is not always about a personal attack.
You may not have the opportunity to pull your weapon. You may have to allow the crime to unfold. If your being beaten then using a cool head, thinking instead of panicking, and getting to your weapon will be in your favor.
Not to say there may not be a time when a fast draw wouldn't be in your favor.

If I were a perp, about to commit a crime, I would simply wait for the guy with the gun to leave, or go down the street one block and pick another target where the rest of the 99.5% of the public was not visibly carrying a gun. There are more examples that can be found of people being killed by flower pots than there are examples of Joe Citizen being shot first in a crime.

It's perfectly fine if you choose to carry your gun however you decide to based upon your own theories. Some of us simply point out what happens in reality so that other people can make informed decisions knowing the difference between theory and real life.

If I were a perp, about to commit a crime, I would simply wait for the guy with the gun to leave, or go down the street one block and pick another target where the rest of the 99.5% of the public was not visibly carrying a gun.

Thank You For Making & Understanding My Point.

The primary reason to carry a concealed weapon is to fully accept the responsibility of protecting my family, friends and neighbors from a potentially violent encounter with a criminal.

My reasons are pretty simple, to me at least. I spent 23 years in the Army in, around and about hostile areas ands combat zones. In the past 4 years I been close to, as an observer only thank goodness, 2 robberies and 3 assaults and more afraid than at any other times in my life. So being age 60 now sickly and mobility impaired "Fight or Flight" are no longer options. Therefore everywhere I go, if there isn't Public Law or posting at the door prohibiting firearms I am strapped. BET ON IT!

My reasons are pretty simple, to me at least. I spent 23 years in the Army in, around and about hostile areas ands combat zones. In the past 4 years I been close to, as an observer only thank goodness, 2 robberies and 3 assaults and more afraid than at any other times in my life. So being age 60 now sickly and mobility impaired "Fight or Flight" are no longer options. Therefore everywhere I go, if there isn't Public Law or posting at the door prohibiting firearms I am strapped. BET ON IT!

As another "seasoned" citizen with health impairments, I am a firm believer in being able to protect both my wife and myself. Too old to fight, too impaired to run but my trigger finger still works fine. Heard a saying years ago, "Don't mess with an old man who can no longer fight. He will kill you!" I don't want to do harm to anyone, conversely, don't want anyone doing harm to us.

I carry a weapon because, after training in martial arts for many years, I was injured in a car crash. I can fight, but I will pay for it later.

When I was a teenager I was heavily into martial arts training. When I was 17, living in Chicago, I was attacked by someone with a gun. I received one gun shot to my outer left chest (through and through) which spun me around. The second bullet grazed the back of my right shoulder and landed in the back of my head. I was mid swing with the intent to disable the gun when I was shot.

I learned then that martial arts doesn't protect against a gun. Now I'm 45 with 2 herniated disks, "runner's kneed," and impingment syndrome of the shoulders. Like ChD I can still fight, but will pay for it later (and as a correctional sergeant sometimes have to get aggressively physical with the inmates at work), but I now live in Indiana and carry so I won't have to fight as hard if I have to. Plus, I've run into former "clients" more than I'd like to. Most that I "see" either avoid me or will come up and thank me. Never know if one will see me and take umbrage to seeing me now that they are out...

I carry semi-concealed (Pancake Holster on outer belt with shirt draped over it) so as to not overly demonstrate I'm armed. If it looks like I'm getting looks as if I've "been made" in a store or restruarant I have an option most people might not have. I pull out my wallet, show my ID and Badge, and ask if they give discounts...

Like many others have stated though, you never know when the LEOs (I'm correctional not LEO) might arrive, so I need to be ready to defend myself, or those around me, if a BG decides to act badly...

Oh, BTW Mr. President.... I'm a victim of Gun Violence, and I say WE NEED THE RIGHT TO CARRY!

MD has had such a long string of bad luck and bad choices in both political leadership and lawmaking that it is the poster child of why we should become fully involved in the American Political Process on one hand and fully aware of the necessity to b ready for revolution on the other. The fear of loss of political power is why the federal government is so desperately trying to crush our Second Amendment rights.

Let it be known to all that if I'm ever found killed and my pistol was never pulled from my holster I still lived a good life knowing I had a chance to defend myself.

Let it be known to all that if I'm ever found killed and my pistol was never pulled from my holster I still lived a good life knowing I had a chance to defend myself.

My thinking would have been that you were taken by surprise and not given a moment to react, and that who ever did it was an idiot for leaving your weapon behind.

I agree with being an idiot or he/she didn't know I had a gun on me. My point is if the situation would happen the anti-gun media, etc. would indicate that having a CCW didn't help me or others. My point is since Wisc. passed CC I feel,now, at least I have a chance to defend myself and my family. You hear about people that were held up and did what they were told to do, but ended up being killed anyways. I worked late shift and live in a very cautious area. Since carrying I'm still cautious, but at least I hava something to fight back with. The media won't print that.

Why? Link Removed This why in Arizona we have to carry for self protection and Home Defense

I think the queston that is being asked is why do you carry concealed, rather then open carry? Not why do you carry.

I think the queston that is being asked is why do you carry concealed, rather then open carry? Not why do you carry.

Because too many cops don't know the law and are more than eager to throw their power around with "going to the terror of the public" charges. I don't have the time or the patience (and lawyers) to educate them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back