Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I actaully work in different areas where there are wildlife, at work to protect my life from people, animals, zombies? lol, whatever is a threat to my life. I carry concealed so I dont offend anyone, and I dont want to be made a target to criminals. If i decide to open carry in a store and the person behind me is about to rob it, then he might try to knock me out with the car tool he was going to rob the store with and rob the store with my gun instead. I also carry concealed so I dont get stopped by the police every time someone calls cause they are concerned or scared.

I carry a weapon because, after training in martial arts for many years, I was injured in a car crash. I can fight, but I will pay for it later. I used to carry in my truck all the time but never on me. Now I carry everywhere legal. I had a friend that was at a gas station with her infant son. A guy walked up and grabbed the baby and just started shaking him violently. She was unarmed. She did hit the guy in the jaw and busted his jaw in several pieces. Later it was found out that he had a warrant for his arrest for murder. Thankfully ND has laws to protect someone acting in self defense. I just don't want to be in that situation unarmed with my child.

I myself carry open or concealed, depending on what I am doing. I carry open on my motorcycle and when I am going to the range. The police here in MN don't bother me when I do. I was stopped once and asked about my sidearm. The typical what make and model questions. That officer than talk with me about what he was planning to personally buy, wanting my opinion. Sounded like it would be his first personal sidearm. Concealed around the in-laws and most places. Don't want to alarm anyone, and the in-laws are not very keen on weapons, plus some of the posted areas here are not legally posted. Some of the areas I do go through are very dangerous and don't want the criminals to see the weapon and try to steal it. I did have one guy try to take it once when I was open carrying, but a broken arm (his) later and the weapon never leaving my holster I was on my way.

Last edited:
I carry a weapon because, after training in martial arts for many years, I was injured in a car crash. I can fight, but I will pay for it later. I used to carry in my truck all the time but never on me. Now I carry everywhere legal. I had a friend that was at a gas station with her infant son. A guy walked up and grabbed the baby and just started shaking him violently. She was unarmed. She did hit the guy in the jaw and busted his jaw in several pieces. Later it was found out that he had a warrant for his arrest for murder. Thankfully ND has laws to protect someone acting in self defense. I just don't want to be in that situation unarmed with my child.

I myself carry open or concealed, depending on what I am doing. I carry open on my motorcycle and when I am going to the range. The police here in MN don't bother me when I do. I was stopped once and asked about my sidearm. The typical what make and model questions. That officer than talk with me about what he was planning to personally buy, wanting my opinion. Sounded like it would be his first personal sidearm. Concealed around the in-laws and most places. Don't want to alarm anyone, and the in-laws are not very keen on weapons, plus some of the posted areas here are not legally posted. Some of the areas I do go through are very dangerous and don't want the criminals to see the weapon and try to steal it. I did have one guy try to take it once when I was open carrying, but a broken arm (his) later and the weapon never leaving my holster I was on my way.

I completely understand. Injured at work though not car crash. Too painful to run, too old to fight but can and will shoot to stop the threat!

I completely understand. Injured at work though not car crash. Too painful to run, too old to fight but can and will shoot to stop the threat!

Yes. I also realize that martial arts can only go so far in protection. If they have a gun, then there is a major problem. Even in my prime training, I could not run faster than a bullet!

Nobody needs a firearm...until they really need a firearm. When I first got my carry permit I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. It is an awesome responsibility to carry a loaded firearm in public. I actually had to force myself to carry concealed until I got used to the idea. Now I feel naked if I don't have my pistol strapped to my side. I never leave home without it. I carry concealed because I am not interested in the stares which erupt when some folks see a "gun" in public. The firearm is for my protection and my families protection and the protection of others if necessary...it is not an item I need to broadcast I have on my hip.

Nobody needs a firearm...until they really need a firearm. When I first got my carry permit I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. It is an awesome responsibility to carry a loaded firearm in public. I actually had to force myself to carry concealed until I got used to the idea. Now I feel naked if I don't have my pistol strapped to my side. I never leave home without it. I carry concealed because I am not interested in the stares which erupt when some folks see a "gun" in public. The firearm is for my protection and my families protection and the protection of others if necessary...it is not an item I need to broadcast I have on my hip.

Welcome to the forum!

I did not write this, but it is one of my personal favorites:

Why Carry a Gun?

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life
hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed,
and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because
men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the
crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I carry a gun because I love my family and they love me.

author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

I carry because:

1) it's my right
2) law enforcement takes too long to arrive
3) I don't trust everyone I see is a law abiding citizen
4) to protect those I love as well as any innocent people that are in grave danger in my presence because of a criminal act
5) I will never allow someone to persuade me through force in any way.
6) I stand for good
7) "once a marine, always a marine"
8) I don't live in a bubble and understand anything can happen at any time
9) I am a free man

I carry concealed because I'm not carrying open.
I carry open because I'm not carrying concealed.

Bottom line --- I carry!

In a more lucid vein: Why mostly concealed? Because a lot of people still have a hard time wrapping their head around the idea of a gun on the hip of a pastor.

Hey tattedupboy, just curious as you've said you were shot in the back; were you shot because they knew you had a gun or were you pulling when you saw the guy about to rob you? Curious as I carry every day in a bad neighborhood and know this is prob the only way someone will get the jump on me. Thanks for your answer, Manosea.

I am getting to the age whereas I am no longer invincible, therefore I carry. I no longer carry a knife to a gun fight, I carry a gun, so I don't have to fight.

Unlike the Police Chief of Emeryville, Ca. my gun is for defensive purposes, that is why it is concealed.

I carry concealed to protect myself and family. There is another good reason as well. We like to believe that most Americans own weapons and carry them. The problem is this simply isn't true. My Tennessee permit allows carry. I can carry concealed or openly. Some folks are made very nervous when you carry openly. If you rub it in their face and all this comes to a vote, they may vote against you. I prefer to be discreet. I gain an advantage in that way as a criminal in Wal-Mart or any where else I happen to go, doesn't know who might be armed. That is a deterrent. If he knows I am armed and I don't know he is, he now has the advantage. I prefer to tilt the scale in favor of the good guys.

I gain an advantage in that way as a criminal in Wal-Mart or any where else I happen to go, doesn't know who might be armed. That is a deterrent.

I agree that the possibility of facing armed citizens, in general, is a deterrent to some types of crimes. The vast majority of mass shootings happen in gun free zones. Home invasions of OCCUPIED homes in the US is much less than the UK because of the possibility of facing armed residents. However, how can a concealed firearm be any kind of deterrent to the criminal from attacking you personally? The criminal is waiting outside Wal Mart to grab a wallet or purse, or carjack someone. How does your conealed firearm deter them from picking you as a target over all the other customers who you appear to be just exactly alike in appearance?

I carry concealed because:
I don't want the bad guy to know I'm armed, That is to my advantage.
Now in my 50's I need the advantage over younger, faster, stronger.
I not only want to protect my loved ones, but I subscribe to the Sheepdog theory.
We have a responsibility to protect and defend those around us who may be in harms way.
As Brotherskeeper says, When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
LEO's can't be everywhere, and when you really have an understanding of just how far away they may be, you understand the need to protect yourself and possibly those around you.
I am not advocating vigilantes in any way, shape or form. What I am saying is if its happening around me I, as a CCW holder have an obligation to do all I can to protect the innocent if I can.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back