Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I carry for the safety of my family and I. I CC because I don't want to give reason for the anti-gun nuts to complain about seeing guns. I converse with many people each day while carrying and some would be for it and others not so much. With it concealed I'm just a regular Joe!

Desert Storm vet.... #1 .....It's my duty to carry...#2....protection from enemies foriegn and domestic.....protect myself and my family....

Simple logic...
I carry because I'm a sheepdog! :)
the days ilI question myself if I need my firearm heading out the door, I usually look at the mirror and say.... Baaaaa
That makes me run back upstairs and holster up.

I carry concealed to protect myself and my family.
I always carry concealed, even if I have the option of open carry. IF you carry concealed, the bad guys don't know you are carrying.

If you are on line in a 7-11 or any other store, and the would be robbers see you standing on line wearing a gun, you might get shot in the head because they see you as a threat.

I don't feel you should be advertising it.

If you are on line in a 7-11 or any other store, and the would be robbers see you standing on line wearing a gun, you might get shot in the head because they see you as a threat.

The much more likely outcome would be that the would be robbers would just turn around and leave and either rob the next convenience store down the street where there isn't a gun visibly present or wait 5 minutes for the guy with the gun to leave. There has never been a documented case of Joe Citizen being shot first in a robbery, unless Joe Citizen was also wearing a uniform and badge to go with the gun. I'll go with the odds in favor of the bad guy leaving me alone because he sees my gun and spare myself and my family the trauma of an attack, defense against an attack, and the resulting legal hassles associated with it - yes I am completely selfish, I don't consider it my duty to rid the earth of one bad guy - let them move on and be someone else's problem.

I carry concealed to protect myself and my family.
I always carry concealed, even if I have the option of open carry. IF you carry concealed, the bad guys don't know you are carrying.

I don't feel you should be advertising it.
You are correct... if a person is carrying concealed the bad guy doesn't know you are carrying and you look just like all the other possible victims wandering around who are defenseless because they aren't carrying.. and to the bad guy... all of those possible victims look like easy pickings to rob/rape/or shoot in the head because they all look like they are unarmed. I don't feel you should be hiding your gun in fear of being noticed.

See how ridiculing and demeaning another person's choice in how to exercise the right to bear arms works?

Fortunately in many States people have the choice.. they have the freedom to make a decision... based on their own personal factors/criteria... if they will carry openly or concealed (or both at the same time!). Regardless of what other people think about that choice/decision.

I'll take the fire extinguisher reference a step further. Yes you have it and hope to never need it; but like a parachute, one instance of needing it and not having it and you may never need it again.

Both CC and OC have risks and benefits. Just because I have decided that CC is what is best for myself doesn't mean that it is what is best for everyone. Everyone must decide that for themselves.

Concealed carry is good in that it puts people on an equal footing with armed criminals, without those armed criminals knowing it; a disadvantage is that your concealed gun won't protect you until the criminal has already started attacking you.

Open carry provides a level of deterrence that concealed carry can't; a disadvantage of it is that people who carry openly are more likely to have the police called on them than people who only carry concealed.

Of course there are many more advantages and disadvantages for each mode of carry besides what I've listed; furthermore, having a gun, whether or not it is concealed, is no guarantee that you'll prevail over would-be criminals 100% of the time.

Ultimately, weighing the benefits against the risks of CC and OC is best left to the individual.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Let's face it, every time you walk out the door you take a risk. We all know it. I carry to protect myself and the ones I love along with those who can't protect themselves. We not only have the "Right" to carry, we have the "Responsibility" to do so. Our country is in the state it is now because many have taken to "Rights" and forgotten "Responsibility." Just my two cents.

Let's face it, every time you walk out the door you take a risk. We all know it. I carry to protect myself and the ones I love along with those who can't protect themselves. We not only have the "Right" to carry, we have the "Responsibility" to do so. Our country is in the state it is now because many have taken to "Rights" and forgotten "Responsibility." Just my two cents.
I agree... but I think many folks don't understand that when it comes to rights the word "responsibility" does NOT mean allowing the opinions of other people to restrict or control those rights.

Actually the biggest "responsibility" is to stand up for "rights" instead of hiding our rights for fear someone might be "offended" .........

If we do not stand up for our rights, if we do not fight to keep our rights... ALL of our rights! then....

We are a Nation built on Rights..
Ruled by laws..
Composed of individuals..
who all have opinions.

When we allow individual opinions
To make laws that restrict rights..
We end up with a Nation
composed of individuals
who have no rights because they are..
Ruled by the opinions of those
who have the power to make the laws.

And when we allow the opinions of others to cause us to be afraid to exercise our rights because someone might be "offended" then we... we ourselves... are voluntarily giving up our rights because we are.................... too scared of what other people think.

Given the last several months as the gun control fanatics (and that is exactly what they are--they have no clue about what they are talking about or why their "suggestions" mean nothing and, if anything, make matters worse) have had their day, as they feed off the carcasses of the 20 dead children in Sandy Hook, I now wish to add my middle finger to this whole goddamn federal government and the feinsteins of the world as a supplement to my primary reasons for self defense NOT ONLY FROM THE BGs OF THE WORLD BUT A CRAZED FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WHO ARE OBLIVIOUS OF THE CONSTITUION AND MY INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS. Does anyone know how to spell nazi? Does anyone know how to spell gestapo? Does anyone know how to spell hitler? Did anyone see what went on in Boston where, in the midst of a tragedy and a crisis, how quickly the police and all the alphabet feds (FBI, ATF) acted in gestapo manner with no warrants etal--only "emergency powers" so to speak that allowed them to trample our Constitution? What do you think will happen when our dictator wannabe decides it is his "anointment time"? I have a firearm and am CC because I am not a sheep, someone will go to hell before I go to heaven, and I refuse to submit to this crap.

I carry concealed so no one can see it!

It's my little secret! ;)
The following isn't intended as anything but information. It's not a slam against concealed carry nor is it anything negative about you or your post CharlesMorrison....

Is concealed carry a "secret"?

A list of things I look for when playing the "who's carrying concealed" game.

-Pulling down a shirt or jacket.

-Odd or inappropriate clothing for conditions. Vests/jackets in hot weather for example.

-Fanny packs when pants have plenty of pockets.

-Fanny packs that obviously have something heavy in them.

-One arm kept close to where a holster probably would be. This arm doesn't swing freely with walking motions. Shoulder holsters generally have this "tell" more often than waist holsters because shoulder holsters tend to flop around a bit.

-Hitching up trousers often. There is a reason those pants keep falling down. Could be suspenders are needed or it could be something heavy on the belt or in the pocket keeps dragging them down.

-Exceptionally long pant legs with one leg where the material doesn't "flow" as well as the other when walking. Indication of a possible ankle holster restricting the pant leg's motion.

-Elbow checking gun.

-Belt at an angle. Possible weight pulling it down.

-Sagging pants or jacket pockets.

-Reluctance to remove a jacket when inside a building.

-One arm furtively holding a shirt from riding up when reaching for something.

-Shoulder going up before exiting a car as the gun is either reholstered, checked for positioning, or clothing adjusted.

-Keeping one side of the body at a slight angle away from the person in front of them.

-A hand goes into a bulky pocket, and stays there.

-Hugging with arms under the other person's arms forcing their arms away from bumping a gun.

-A dull "thud" if something is bumped into.

Let me emphasize that these "tells" are not proof positive that someone is carrying a gun. But they are hints that many concealed carriers project to anyone interested enough to look for them.

Bikenut,

Excellent words for the new (and possibly lifelong) gun carrier. There are tells that some people may not be aware of. You hit many of them. Whether you are an OC or CC by choice these are tells about the other guy.

If you are CC, and you truly want to be concealed, know what your tells are.

Thanks Bikenut.

The following isn't intended as anything but information. It's not a slam against concealed carry nor is it anything negative about you or your post CharlesMorrison....

Is concealed carry a "secret"?

A list of things I look for when playing the "who's carrying concealed" game.

-Pulling down a shirt or jacket.

-Odd or inappropriate clothing for conditions. Vests/jackets in hot weather for example.
Bikers with their vests comes to mind on this one.

-Fanny packs when pants have plenty of pockets.

Fanny packs in general are just wrong.

-Fanny packs that obviously have something heavy in them.

-One arm kept close to where a holster probably would be. This arm doesn't swing freely with walking motions. Shoulder holsters generally have this "tell" more often than waist holsters because shoulder holsters tend to flop around a bit.

-Hitching up trousers often. There is a reason those pants keep falling down. Could be suspenders are needed or it could be something heavy on the belt or in the pocket keeps dragging them down.
Detroit, this has nothing to do with a possible weapon. It is a fashion statement here, and not just in the city itself.

-Exceptionally long pant legs with one leg where the material doesn't "flow" as well as the other when walking. Indication of a possible ankle holster restricting the pant leg's motion.

-Elbow checking gun.

-Belt at an angle. Possible weight pulling it down.

-Sagging pants or jacket pockets.
See above regarding the fashion statement.

-Reluctance to remove a jacket when inside a building.

-One arm furtively holding a shirt from riding up when reaching for something.

-Shoulder going up before exiting a car as the gun is either reholstered, checked for positioning, or clothing adjusted.

-Keeping one side of the body at a slight angle away from the person in front of them.

-A hand goes into a bulky pocket, and stays there.

-Hugging with arms under the other person's arms forcing their arms away from bumping a gun.

-A dull "thud" if something is bumped into.
That would be all the hardware from my accident that is below the surface.

Let me emphasize that these "tells" are not proof positive that someone is carrying a gun. But they are hints that many concealed carriers project to anyone interested enough to look for them.

Bikernut, as I stated on the other post, excellent points.

Just a little humor that you being from the MI area will understand.

As for me, as I stated before, it is habit to always carry concealed so that muscle memory is there if I ever need to draw my weapon. Since my work (both jobs) mandate that I CC, it just makes sense to me to continue to carry that way 24/7 so I don't have to think about where my weapon is that day.

I hope that I don't have a 'tell' and since no one at my day job seems aware that I am carrying, I would think I don't. But after all these years doing it the same way, I suspect that it is like my wallet, I know it is there so don't think about it until I need it.

Secrets of CC=Bad guy looking at people for long periods of time for possible clue of carrying.
Secrets of OC=None. Shoot him/her first.
Sorry, just my opinion.

I carry to protect myself and most importantly, my wife and kids. I would rather depend on myself FIRST then have to wait around helplessly for help to arrive.

Secrets of CC=Bad guy looking at people for long periods of time for possible clue of carrying.
Secrets of OC=None. Shoot him/her first. Unsubstantiated lies. You must be one of those honest law abiding citizens.
Sorry, just my opinion.

Truth about CC: Look unarmed, look like a good victim.

Truth about OC: Be respectful, be left alone.

Why is it when an CC person gives an opinion on why he/she is CC and even apologizes for giving his opinion, a OC person replies with an insult. Save that crap for the anti gunners.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back