What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

What is your favorite Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Votes: 19 1.0%

Votes: 18 1.0%

Votes: 78 4.3%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 137 7.5%

Votes: 259 14.2%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 446 24.4%
  • .41 Magnum

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 386 21.2%
  • 9mm

Votes: 690 37.8%
  • 10mm

Votes: 16 0.9%

• Total voters
.40 is my winter carry because I can cover it with my coat. Summer is 380.

The question should have taken into consideration who carries a handgun all of the time instead of what is your favorite caliber.

All of the people I know who carry all the time carry either a 32 or 380 in a pokcet holster and a 38 smith revolver.

The calibers mentioned in this forum are too large for everday 16 hour carry.

Just my 2 cents

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]

wish I can carry my old pocket Seacamp 32 or Walthers PPK 380 but our CCW permit only allows us to carry 9mm or larger. So it is the Glock 27 for me and it does get heavy after awhile.

The question should have taken into consideration who carries a handgun all of the time instead of what is your favorite caliber.

All of the people I know who carry all the time carry either a 32 or 380 in a pokcet holster and a 38 smith revolver.

Just my 2 cents

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]

Pat, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your above generalization. I carry my single stack .45 (with two spare mags) from 7 am to 11 pm, seven days a week. It's neither too large nor too heavy.

Just my 2 cents.:biggrin:

handgun calibers

Thanks for your additional lnformation, I had no idea that there was a state with the restrictiions on calibers.

Please tell me what state you live in and what you do for a living,

thanks

pat olvey
email [email protected]

I agree with RedHat and MapPow, can't go wrong with the 45 ACP. I love carring the ruger 45 P90. When I purchased this weapon my biggest concern was safety first! This weapon gives me the peace of mind of going from an "at ease" status to "ready fire" with the slip of my thumb.
Now, that we have been given the responsibility of defending our families and homes. We all have a responsibility to keep everyone else around us safe and do everything in our power to make sure that there are absolutely no fatal accidents.

G23 and G30sf

Glad to see the .40 S&W holding up as that is my #1, but I have lately been really torn between the .40 with 13+1 and .45 with 10+1

stopping power

My April May 2011 issue of guns and ammo came today.

I found what is probably the best article on Stopping Power written by Dave Spauling.

The top stopping power choices begin with a 38 special and goes up to the 45acp.

The closing remark in the article is "The secret to handgun stopping power remains where you shoot your oponent and how many times you shoot them."

The article is good reading and promotes the fact that in order for shots to take effect they must strike a vital body location.

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]
or
[email protected]

A hit with a .22 is a lot better than a miss with a hand grenade.
There is an old saying that says that isn't quite true. " Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." A miss with a GBU-43/B MOAB of its AP will still ruin your day if you are exposed and on the receiving end.
:biggrin:

But yeah, the idea is right. A good shot can kill while a miss with a larger caliber is just a wasted shot. Gun control is placing your shots on target, not denying me my rights.

Just my 2 cents

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]

Finally my choice of EDC has been vindicated! I have several CC type handguns, both pistols and revolvers, in .22LR, .25 acp. 9mm, 38Spl, ,357, & .45acp. But my EDC is my little .380 Taurus PT738/TCP. I carry my TCP 24/7. :biggrin:

I voted for the .357. I carried two K-frame .357 Magnums on me for a while until I switched to the .45 ACP Glock 21SF. However, if another 10 round magazine ban ever goes into effect, I will be back to the K-frames before the ink on the law dries. As to alternative rounds, my primary home defense pistol is a Beretta 8357 in .357 Sig.

Taurus .357

I also vote for the .357, mine's a Taurus 617, which is a 7 shot revolver. As a backpacker and camper, I like having a firearm usable against bears if necessary, and we also have some problems with rabid animals, esp. foxes, raccoons, and possums. Of course, standard carry for general protection against two-legged predators is also a safety factor. Also carry two speed loaders, in an unsuspecting looking fanny pack holster.

Colt Gov't 380

I carry my 380 because it's slim and light enough for everyday carry In Sunny S. Fla. prefer my Sig 220 45 but it is hard to carry without imprinting.

I sometimes carry the 40 Glock (23). Most of the time i carry a .45 (Kimber). I guess the reason I carry the 45 most of the time is like the man said, "It's silly to have to shoot a person twice."

9mm

My ruger SR9 isn't that hard to conceal for it's size. I like to be able to practice and I'm not rich; practicing with a 9mm cost a LOT less on ammo than practicing with a 45. Won't nock the 45 though, I'm sure it does the job real well.

I saw another thread where people were talking about whether or not to carry full mag +1 and go through the routine of loading the extra round in the chamber. I like my SR9 as I don't find myself worrying about that; with 17 round mags I think I'm good enough racking a full mag and heading out.

PS just issued my first CCP 2 days ago. :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back