What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

What is your favorite Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Votes: 19 1.0%

Votes: 18 1.0%

Votes: 78 4.3%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 137 7.5%

Votes: 259 14.2%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 446 24.4%
  • .41 Magnum

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 386 21.2%
  • 9mm

Votes: 690 37.8%
  • 10mm

Votes: 16 0.9%

• Total voters
Don't be torn get both, G-27 and G-36 here, very close in size and can use the same holster

One reason I stick with the G23 is the Glock .45 have wider slides. I have a G30sf but with the IWB holster it seems twice as wide as my G23. I stay away from the G36 because of # of rounds (And I believe the G36 slide width is the same as other Glock .45 ? )

A few days ago on the Outdoor Channel here in Cincinnati there was a Best Defense Section on with Michael Bane.

Blane made the statement that if you wanted to start a healthy discussion about what the best handgun cartridge for self defense is think about the 9mm, 40cal and 45 cal.

Blane suggested that the 9mm is best due to less recoil and better recovery for multiple shots. I happen to agree.

Any Comments

thanks

Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County
email [email protected]

My ruger SR9 isn't that hard to conceal for it's size. I like to be able to practice and I'm not rich; practicing with a 9mm cost a LOT less on ammo than practicing with a 45. Won't nock the 45 though, I'm sure it does the job real well.

I saw another thread where people were talking about whether or not to carry full mag +1 and go through the routine of loading the extra round in the chamber. I like my SR9 as I don't find myself worrying about that; with 17 round mags I think I'm good enough racking a full mag and heading out.

PS just issued my first CCP 2 days ago. :biggrin:

In my humble opinion, never fill the magazine to its capacity. Over time there is a danger of the spring becoming deformed and the cartridges feeding can fail.

One commercial link for this is AR-15 / M16 Magazine FAQ
Notes on Practical Use:

"The 20 round capacity magazines for the AR-15 should never be loaded with
more than 18 rounds. (They have a tendency to jam, otherwise.) The 30s,
however, can be loaded with a full 30 rounds."

I have always assumed that this was applicable to handgun magazines also.

Any thoughts?

Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County
email [email protected]

Last edited:
Blane suggested that the 9mm is best due to less recoil and better recovery for multiple shots. I happen to agree.
Any Comments
Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio

Yes, a 9mm does give you the ability to recover quickly for multiple shots. That's convenient, because you are going to need them. A 9mm, like a .38, can go right through a person, along with the additional potential stopping power that was not transferred to the assailant.

This is exactly why the 45 was created in the first place. I recommend that you handle the largest caliber you can safely and accurately use. I trained with the 1911 .45ACP with Uncle Sam, and at 6'4 I can handle the round just fine. To me a 38/9mm is closer to a .22. However if a 9mm is all you can handle and the recoil of anything else is too great for you, then you found your round.

My April May 2011 issue of guns and ammo came today.

I found what is probably the best article on Stopping Power written by Dave Spauling.

The top stopping power choices begin with a 38 special and goes up to the 45acp.

The closing remark in the article is "The secret to handgun stopping power remains where you shoot your oponent and how many times you shoot them."

The article is good reading and promotes the fact that in order for shots to take effect they must strike a vital body location.

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]
or
[email protected]

Yup.

I've never read anything on the subject of stopping power that didn't start by saying shot placement was the most important factor in stopping an assailant with a handgun.

I tried all the calibers that shoot in a semi-auto and find I shoot 9mm the best. My test was to shoot the IDPA classification match with each caliber. My scores were significantly better with 9mm than either .40 or .45.

I shot best with 9mm, second best with .45, and slightly worse with .40 than .45. I "want" to carry a .40, but I just plain don't shoot it as well and there is no getting around that. So my carry guns are a G19, G26, and maybe the new LC9 after I've had a chance to work with it.

I didn't mess with .357SIG, which is a good cartridge, because I didn't like the brass (I reload).

I still want to buy a Glock 30 to go with my 19 and 26, but there is no rush. I just want to have a .45 ... because ... well just because. But I probably won't carry it unless practice radically improves my score with it.

There are a bunch of choices for 9mm defense ammo now that are excellent. My 19 and 26 are loaded with COR-BON DPX, but there are others just as good.

My last resort carry, for those times when nothing else will conceal, the LCP, is loaded with Hornady FTX.

Fitch

In my humble opinion, never fill the magazine to its capacity. Over time there is a danger of the spring becoming deformed and the cartridges feeding can fail.

The springs in my mags were EXTREMELY stiff when I first bought my gun; I had a hard time getting the last 2 cartridges in. I read on forums (regarding my gun in particular) to fill the mags and leave them that way for a while to loosten them up. I haven't had any feeding failures yet at all (it's still pretty new though). I usually fill the mag then rack to put on in the chamber so technically my mag isn't full to capacity after that.

I would tend to agree with the magazine you mentioned regarding calibers and amazingly enough our poll does too.

Yes, a 9mm does give you the ability to recover quickly for multiple shots. That's convenient, because you are going to need them. A 9mm, like a .38, can go right through a person, along with the additional potential stopping power that was not transferred to the assailant.

This is exactly why the 45 was created in the first place. I recommend that you handle the largest caliber you can safely and accurately use. I trained with the 1911 .45ACP with Uncle Sam, and at 6'4 I can handle the round just fine. To me a 38/9mm is closer to a .22. However if a 9mm is all you can handle and the recoil of anything else is too great for you, then you found your round.

I commented earlier that my choice is the Taurus .357, but winnre makes what I think is the excellent point that the gun of your choice must be one you can handle, while also being adequate to stop an assault. If your gun fails to meet either of these criteria, you've got a problem.

I'm old school, preferring the revolver to semi's due in large part to its simplicity.. no worry about a cartridge jamming on ejection, etc. I just feel if I can't stop an attack with 7 rounds of .357, I may need to practice more at the range before carrying. For that reason too, having a really full hi-capacity magazine isn't on my short list, cause if my first shot (maybe second) are misses, the next 15 or 20 may never get used anyway!

Fitch, do you use your reloads for practice only or for carry as well?

Falcon, How often do you find you have to unload your magazines and let the springs relax to stay happy?

In the Dec 2010/Jan 2011 issue of Handguns Magazine ther is an article about the stopping power of 38 special +p rounds fired from a snub nose Smith and Wesson Model 640.

Here is the internet link to the article http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38 Snub Ammo Test.htm

For those of us who carry a J Frame Smith the penetration figures look pretty good.

Penetration/Expansion Results

Load:
Average Expansion (in.):
Average Penetration (in.):

Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P
0.580 x 0.565 x 0.479 tall
8 1/2

Speer 135-gr. Gold Dot +P
0.531 x 0.549 x 0.459 tall
7 1/2

Corbon 110-gr. DPX +P
0.522 x 0.524 x 0.502 tall

At the end of the article the author, Bob Pilgrim, makes the comment, all of the ammuntion testes should be adequate, but placement is the key.

Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton, County
email [email protected]

Fitch, do you use your reloads for practice only or for carry as well?

Reloads (115g Berrys Plated Round Nose bullets pushed to 1,150 fps out of the G19 by HS6) for practice only (~1,000 rounds a month when the weathers warm enough to go outside and shoot).

For carry and HD the G19, G26, and LC9 are loaded with COR-BON DPX. The LCP with Hornady FTX.

Fitch

Just wondering if my .357 firing Fiochetti (720 ft/lbs energy and 1500 fps) is big enough, or should I order a Howitzer? LOL :biggrin:

Your 357 will probably do, but I might consider a 100 rd drum if you can figure out how to attach it. :biggrin:

Your 357 will probably do, but I might consider a 100 rd drum if you can figure out how to attach it. :biggrin:

Well, I guess I could put that on it, but I'll probably have to remove the custom hand crank on the side that turns it into a Gattling gun ... decisions, decisions!!! :yu:

Falcon, How often do you find you have to unload your magazines and let the springs relax to stay happy?

I've had the gun for a little over a year now and other than unloading during practice I've kept both mags loaded most of the time. Hasn't caused me any issues yet. If anyone here thinks I should unload them to give them a break for a bit I'll listen to that (well aware I still have a lot to learn).

I keep it loaded for home defense (only handgun right now) so one mag will always be loaded up and ready to go but I can let the spare rest. I doubt I'll need all 34 rounds for home defense or anything else for that matter.

Good Morning and some thoughts.

An item I have saved from several years ago came from Defensive Tactics: a long overdue critical review (I like to give credit when credit is due and hate to reinvent the wheel)

Your plan in case of an emergency has to be simple, flexible, works no matter what the circumstances are (weather-warm-cold-wet-dry), it has to be quick and easy to apply.

Author Patrick Sweeney in the March 2001 issue of Guns and Ammo states, you will pay for your big bore, the first price you'll pay is in size. Big bores mean big guns. You will pay even more with recoil. Face it; you are not going to launch a big, heavy bullet at high velocities without taking the recoil hit.

I think the bottom line to all of this is a firearm that a permit holder will carry comfortably, not too heavy and not too large, light enough as not to be a drag, caliber large enough to stop an aggressor, and simple enough to operate under stress. As an example you have been attacked and you are on the ground, you draw your firearm and take the next step in your plan.

I think the answer is the J Frame Smith and Wesson, my favorite is the model 642.
You cannot suffer from the old limp wrist problem if you are going to use a revolver. Just point and click, just like your computer mouse.

Your thoughts?

Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County
Cincinnati, Ohio
Email [email protected]

'

I think the answer is the J Frame Smith and Wesson, my favorite is the model 642.
You cannot suffer from the old limp wrist problem if you are going to use a revolver. Just point and click, just like your computer mouse.

Your thoughts?

Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County
Cincinnati, Ohio
Email [email protected]
'

Not a bad choice at all... but I'm biased, I like my Taurus 617, which I think simply takes the best of the 642, and adds the options of single or double action, and being a .357, keeps the .38 special option. I also like the simplicity of revolvers, and the 7 round cylinder of the Taurus overcomes some of the capacity difference vs semi-automatics.

I like the analogy to the point and click of the computer mouse too!

reply to coachdb13

Thanks for your response, I only like the S&W 642 because of its weight and the fact that it has a concealed hammer.

Your revolver is good for me also.

thanks

Pat Olvey
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County
email [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member