What Do You Carry?

I was gonna carry a 1911 but was told it was a bad idea. if I had to go to court they could see the gun as my intent to do harm as a 1911 has killed more ppl than any other pistol. so now I gotta buy another less intimidating pistol.perhaps a baretta tomcat. or a little .22 wheel gun.

You're just kidding, right? There seems to be a hint of sarcasm here, but I can't be quite sure.

not kidding. this is what I was told in my CWP class. they specifically asked if anyone was gonna carry the 1911.
they said carrying a handgun made for wartime would look bad in court. I would be better off carrying anything other than that model. so I bought a S&W .40. was gonna get a ruger p95 but the grip was a little big ( at $250 I should have gotten it anyway). next month I'm picking up a bond arms .45/.410 for a BUG.my goal is 1 gun a month till I can catch up with my uncle who has 70. I'll prob still carry the 1911 during cold weather. nothing like an attacker sayin "holy sh!t" when he sees a big ole .45 with a muzzle brake.

not kidding. this is what I was told in my CWP class. they specifically asked if anyone was gonna carry the 1911.
they said carrying a handgun made for wartime would look bad in court. I would be better off carrying anything other than that model. so I bought a S&W .40. was gonna get a ruger p95 but the grip was a little big ( at $250 I should have gotten it anyway). next month I'm picking up a bond arms .45/.410 for a BUG.my goal is 1 gun a month till I can catch up with my uncle who has 70. I'll prob still carry the 1911 during cold weather. nothing like an attacker sayin "holy sh!t" when he sees a big ole .45 with a muzzle brake.

The argument of using a 1911 for SD is a bad idea because it was designed for wartime is absurd. I would like to see some tangible proof (like court cases) where this has been proven. As a firearms instructor, I have an obligation to my students to teach them firearms safety and to inform them of various laws that pertain to the use and handling of firearms. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't give "legal advice". I will share my experiences as well as cases that may currently be in the news. It's up to the student to seek legal counsel for any "legal advice".

As for suggestons on firearms, as an instructor, we're trained to not show any "favorites" or steer students towards any particular manufacturer. I'm pretty good at being "neutral", but will share my concerns with students about firearms that I feel are "unsafe". If a student clearly cannot safely handle a S&W .500 cal revolver, I would certainly share my concerns with them and try to steer them in the appropriate direction. I had a student who was an elderly woman who had inherited a .357 mag Airweight revolver. She talked about how she was looking forward to using the gun for SD in the home. I had her try a few of the .357 mag revolvers that I had, which were loaded with .38 special. She had a very difficult time with all of the revolvers. They were all standard revolvers with barrels ranging from 4" to 8". in the end, she decided that the Airweight wasn't an appropriate choice for her situation, and ended up purchasing a .32 cal revolver, which she shoots monthly.

When getting advice on firearms or anything for that matter, consider the source, and check other sources. Sometimes we're given "sound advice" that is based on the mere "opinion" of the person giving us the said advice.

gf

my main carry guns- h&k usp compact .40 and sprinfield xd .45 compact.
home defense- kimber tle/rl 2 1911
range plinker- glock 17

Old thread.....LONG thread, but I carry a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP 12 +1 capacity. Other would be the Bersa Thunder .380, but it's mostly as a home pistol for my wife to shoot since she has trouble with the recoil of my 45.

Originally Posted by crazycathed

Well your CCP class instructor is more wrong than you know, and it is too bad that many of them are passing down alot of bad information such as this. The 9mm cartridge in handguns has killed more people world wide than any cartridge carried out there today or in the past. Do a check of European, NATO, South American etc of those that carry the 9mm cartridge The fact that you select a 1911 semi auto makes no differance in SD situations no more than using a Glock, Berretta, Colt or CZ as your personal carry firearm what will be looked at, is how you used your firearm and that is offensively as the agressor or defensively protecting yourself or an inocent victim.

I carry one of three firearms:

Glock 35
S&W 629
S&W 337

Depending on where I go and what I do here in NW Montana

Last edited:

And you listened to him? Why? Even if what he's saying is true, does that make carrying a .45 1911 somehow worse than carrying a .357 magnum, a 9mm, a .40 S&W, or any other caliber?

I am usually carrying a Colt Defender (it's a 45 Cal 1911A1 with a 3" barrel), but have been switching lately to a Taurus P140 Millennium (40 Cal - for those who might not know) as it is a lot lighter than the Colt. I just have not been able to find a good holster for the P140 that is as "Flat" fitting as my Colt. I am also looking for a conceled carry holster for a Single Action Revolver with a 3-1/2" barrel.

I also rotate between a S&W model 36 and a Bersa 380 Firestorm w/Corbon.
Right now, I'm on the prowl for a 1911 in 40 S&W.

I switch between an XD .45 and a Para Carry .45. The Para is a little smaller and easier to conceal, but the XD has 2x the capacity. Fully loaded they weigh almost the same. Either works in the winter (Iowa), but in warmer weather I prefer the Para.

Hey all...I'm new to the site. I carry a Kel-Tec P11 9mm that I recently purchased used and it is back in the shop already for a broken trigger. Great gun though when I did have it. Can't wait to get it back... I had them put some new sights and a belt clip that installs directly on the gun. Hope it works well...

Main carry is XD Tactical in .45ACP in a modified Bianchi 7L holster. Previous (and still occasional) carry weapon is the XD Tactical in 9mm. It's in a custom made Mike Hall paddle holster. BUG is a 9mm Glock 26 in another Hall custom holster.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back