Weirdo in My Driveway = Cops or Mossberg 500?

localgirl

Well, I decided to call the cops after said weirdo was still there after 20 minutes.

Mind you, I had decided to take a nap and was in a state of undress, when I kept hearing vehicle doors shutting. I looked out my rather large bedroom window and there's some strange vehicle parked in a small driveway we rarely use--mere feet from the window.

I tried the non-emergency line, then remembered it was Saturday, and dialed 911.

When the officers arrived to get my report, I told them I wasn't really afraid because the house was heavily armed, but it was just dang weird. One joked about how the guy wouldn't have made it in the house, the other one implied that I wouldn't be justified in shooting, and the first one replied that I should at least drag the body into the house.

I thought cops knew better than that?

I reported a break in to a vehicle on my dads property. I was 17 and caught them the act. Wrote down license plate number and had descriptions. Nothing was taken I scared them off, police said the same thing. "son next time this happens, as long as the body is in the house, no evidence outside, shoot them." It is a very rough area of town but really? Sounds to me like a fast track to felony road.... Hope said weirdo doesn't show back up in your home. A

Tampering with a crime scene is a serious offense in many jurisdictions. (dragging a body inside the house would be a good example). No matter how bad it looks, don't mess with the crime scene. With the technology out there these days, the cops will quickly figure out what happened. If ever involved in a shooting, seek medical attention, and talk to an attorney before making any statements to police. Cooperate by providing your information and answering basic questions (your name, address, etc.), but DO NOT make any statements before speaking with an attorney!

Tampering with a crime scene is a serious offense in many jurisdictions. (dragging a body inside the house would be a good example). No matter how bad it looks, don't mess with the crime scene. With the technology out there these days, the cops will quickly figure out what happened. If ever involved in a shooting, seek medical attention, and talk to an attorney before making any statements to police. Cooperate by providing your information and answering basic questions (your name, address, etc.), but DO NOT make any statements before speaking with an attorney!
We have a different understanding of towboater's post. What he means by "body" is a live person who had broken inside your house. As long as he is inside, you can shoot him! From your post, you assume "body" means the guy had already been shot and you can drag him inside then call 911. I have not heard of anyone shot without blood oozing out of the body somehow..."no evidence outside" will be impossible. There would be blood after a person has been shot. Or I must be wrong???

We have a different understanding of towboater's post. What he means by "body" is a live person who had broken inside your house. As long as he is inside, you can shoot him! From your post, you assume "body" means the guy had already been shot and you can drag him inside then call 911. I have not heard of anyone shot without blood oozing out of the body somehow..."no evidence outside" will be impossible. There would be blood after a person has been shot. Or I must be wrong???

Sorry, should have been better worded. They meant if I shot said bad guy, in the yard to drag him inside.

I think that when friends or family are hanging around together, it's ok to joke with each other about dragging the body in the house, while having a full understanding with each other that that is really not ok and is a good way to land in prison. But for a LEO, even in a tight-knit community, to say such a thing, especially while on duty is very irresponsible.

As for the weirdos in the driveway, did they do anything? Were they local? Do you think that they were meeting somebody and were simply waiting at the wrong location?

Sorry, should have been better worded. They meant if I shot said bad guy, in the yard to drag him inside.

Long trail of blood from your yard into your house would mean a very "interesting" situation for you to explain. Tampering with a crime scene isn't a very good idea.

Long trail of blood from your yard into your house would mean a very "interesting" situation for you to explain. Tampering with a crime scene isn't a very good idea.

I'm aware of all of this lol. Just stating what the officer said to me. In reference to the op's story. Yeah badddd idea to do that.

20+ years ago when I was a teenager the local police chief told my mom the same thing. If you shoot them and they fall outside the house, drag them back in.

Well, I decided to call the cops after said weirdo was still there after 20 minutes.

Mind you, I had decided to take a nap and was in a state of undress, when I kept hearing vehicle doors shutting. I looked out my rather large bedroom window and there's some strange vehicle parked in a small driveway we rarely use--mere feet from the window.

I tried the non-emergency line, then remembered it was Saturday, and dialed 911.

When the officers arrived to get my report, I told them I wasn't really afraid because the house was heavily armed, but it was just dang weird. One joked about how the guy wouldn't have made it in the house, the other one implied that I wouldn't be justified in shooting, and the first one replied that I should at least drag the body into the house.

I thought cops knew better than that?

Imminent like in "I" "M" "M" "I" "N" "E" "N" "T" is and always will be THE key word. Someone on a driveway not doing anything other than not really suppose to be there or someone or a group walking down the street with that classic gangsta bravado is not spelled IMMINENT. You can be ready for a problem or try to avoid a problem or, if in house, call 911 but that is all you should be allowed to do--easy to say in words on a forum but it still comes down to you had better be able to convince the LEOs, the prosecutor and the jury that it was the imminent fear of death or great bodily injury that caused you to act.
As far as the LEOs, I get the feeling their idiot conversation may not have happened if it was an old fart like me and not a pretty lady. Sounds more like idiot macho cop bravado---stupid, uncalled for and someday will get them looking for a new job.

I am not sure about where all of you live.. But ...
In NC I was told in our cow class that the castle doctrine with the stand your ground clause supports shooting someone OUTSIDE the house under a number of conditions..

IE
attempting to break in.
In the threat of bodily harm to you or Another in your presence

However simple theft of property does not justify and is not a defensible position...

They also said it does not matter where the body lies if you have a defensive evidence.
Which could be very easy in any gun friendly area!

The drag the body inside bit was taught in many law enforcement classes in college by ex-cops. 40 years ago. Back then it was harder to prove it was done outside a building. And Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws were not in place.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back