Weirdo in My Driveway = Cops or Mossberg 500?

Localgirl, you didn't say if he was joking or being serious. If he was joking or being sarcastic, then I think its pretty funny. If he was being serious, that's a problem.

In the great state of FLORIDA there is no need to drag them into your house because of the castle doctrine Jeb Bush passed into law!

Deserteagle: I think he really thought that. He was being a little flip, but his tone suggested that there was an underlying seriousness. I was also surprised that Cop2 implied I had no grounds for self-defense unless the guy was inside the house. I'm pretty sure if he was attempting to violently get into the house, I'm justified in shooting him on the front porch, or at least arming myself, retreating to another room, and being prepared to shoot.

Like someone else said, this is leftover from days of yore. Sandpoint is a little behind the times, but sheesh.

So maybe the guy was lost, or having car trouble. But there was an entire street to park on. He was on his cell the entire time, except for one time when he got out, opened his hood, touched something for about a second, then got in his truck and started it up. Then stayed put.

He was never a threat, except that I was not going to go outside alone, unarmed (and Cop2 said that no, I could not have brandished at that point), to confront a very large man with Massachusetts plates. I figured the cops could field this one. They don't have a whole lot else to do around here.

It was just weird. Why pull into my driveway? Did he not notice that I was on the other side of the window, just a few feet away, looking alarmed? Why did he stay so long? Why did he stay after his vehicle started? The whole thing was just out of place, and didn't feel like someone who needed directions (my neighbor actually made contact with him and there was no direction-asking there) or someone who had car trouble. Add to that he's obviously on private property, with a sign posted at the street that SAYS "Private Property" and I just figured he needed to be shooed away by someone other than me.

He ended up leaving just before the police got there, so I just gave them my little story and that was that.

I was a little disturbed that Cop2 kept implying I had little right to protect myself, even if the situation had been scary. He also kept implying that I would be the one in trouble, etc. if it had gone that way. And of course I was disturbed by Cop1's notion that no only would I blast away at someone SIMPLY for being at my door, but that I should also drag the body in the house.

I shouldn't be surprised, we talk on here all the time about cops not being too informed on self-defense and firearms laws. I guess I expected mine to be a little smarter!

Police departments in my area require at least 2 years of college, and some require a bachelors degree, so from all the friendly conversations I've had with police around here, if they say something as crazy as you should move a body inside your house, you know they are just joking. But my town is much different than yours it seems.

Well I guess at the end of the day it's not up to them whether or not you would be justified in protecting yourself, the jury will decide that. Pretty interesting story nonetheless.

If someone is outside and you confront them, you in certain situations could be viewed as the initial aggressor and in the wrong even with a stand your ground castle doctrine.

If someone is outside and you confront them, you in certain situations could be viewed as the initial aggressor and in the wrong even with a stand your ground castle doctrine.
not saying you are wrong. but the only time someone (who doesn't belong on the land) should have a right to self-defense against you on your land would be if you were trying to hold them captive which out just cause. otherwise if they feel in danger/unsafe/unhappy they should be running off you land. not saying you SHOULD always be chasing people off with your gun. but it is your place, so as long as they are visiting(invited or not), it is on your terms. at least that is the way it should be IMHO.

I don't know if this is true for your locale, but many places if you carry a long gun with a sling it isn't brandishing. not saying that you should have went out to talk to him, but there is not way anybody should go check out a weirdo unarmed and a shotgun on a single-point sling is a good reminder to them to be polite.

Looking past the unprofessionalism or the officers I am glad to hear that all came out well. Never be concerned about calling the PD to come check out a weirdo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back