Wearing business attire - false assumption you're a police officer?

The freedom. It's so relaxing and comfortable. Not worrying if you are printing, or showing the item you wish to keep from anyone knowing about. I stopped checking the mirror before leaving to make sure nothing was out of place. My clothing fits nicely now, I tend to dress nicer than the average person in my area. All the positive education I have been able to give was something I never experienced as a conceal carrier. I used to be worried about what to say if I was caught concealing, luckily it never happened, it was just an added stressor. Open carrying forced me to really know my local laws and responses, and I feel much more comfortable carrying in general. My awareness and politeness have not changed, but that hasn't changed much since even before I carried in the first place. My lifestyle has changed for the better, in all aspects, that is why I decided to stick with it and not go back to CC'ing exclusively.

Wow! That's quite inspiring. Maybe I'll try it some time? :)

I'm not sure who you are asking, or what your specific question is.... but I can give you the wardrobe I use. My firearm is OWB strong side @ 2:30 position. My attire only includes a jacket when its cold, otherwise i am wearing a vest over my shirt. When it's cold and I have my jacket on I am concealed, when I get into a warmer area I go back to my standard open carry method when I take my coat off. I don't expect anyone to ask me if I am a police officer if I have my jacket on, just when I have my jacket off. This is what I believe the OP is asking.

Yeah, his comments were WAYYYYY off base.

I didnt mean that states that have OC require a permit to OC, but rather require a permit to CC. If you don't have a permit... You know what, forget I said anything. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

agrippakc:244373 said:
I didnt mean that states that have OC require a permit to OC, but rather require a permit to CC. If you don't have a permit... You know what, forget I said anything. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Heh I dont mind if you want to post what you want to post. I was confused and just answered as appropriately as I could. You should keep posting so we can understand what you were getting at.

Yeah, it took me a couple reads, but I figured out what you meant - and understand how it was easy to misunderstand.

So, to recap in different words:

Depending on how you plan on open carrying, you will have to be careful to make sure you don't accidentally conceal before you have your conceal permit.

Yeah, it took me a couple reads, but I figured out what you meant - and understand how it was easy to misunderstand.

So, to recap in different words:

Depending on how you plan on open carrying, you will have to be careful to make sure you don't accidentally conceal before you have your conceal permit.

That makes sense. I always tuck in my button down shirts and hardly ever wear an outer jacket.

That's what confused me. I was trying to picture you OCing in a suit. I got that from professional business attire description.

Some might assume you're a police officer. I guess that's okay as long as you don't do anythign to perpetuate that assumption.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
By the way, that is a GREAT quote!

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
By the way, that is a GREAT quote!

She was a great author. I wish I would have read her novels earlier in my life. Her outlook actually change my ideas and beliefs about the individual and society. If you can get past her being agnostic, she will impress those that believe that the individual produces for the individual NOT for society. The fruits of your labor are just that, your fruits. How you use/distribute those fruits are your choice not society or the Gov't.

Some folks might...and LEO will generally not.

In all my years in the field, I don't remember ever seeing an active LEO carry a visable firearm without also having a visable badge.

In my 25 year's in law enforcement I don't ever remember open carrying without my badge showing on my belt line some where. Now that I live in Va. I just open carry without any problems.
Bill

I don't even need a gun for people to assume I'm a cop. I've been asked if I was LE by people who saw me with my portable ham radio clipped to my belt. I've talked to a fellow ham who sold his portable radio after a cop followed him out of a McDonalds resturant and harrassed him for impersonating a LEO simply for having the radio clipped to his belt. Trust me, you don't need the gun to have people jump to conclusions.
Steve

I've had people think I was a LEO when I've been dressed in jeans and a greasy T-Shirt. Went to NAPA auto parts one time, to get a replacement ignition coil. It was Summer, hot, and I'd been working on my car, so I had grease and oil on my face, hands and T-Shirt. Granted, I removed as much as I could from my face and hands before I went to get the part, but, it was mostly still there. I was packing a RIA FS 1911 tactical, OC. I gave them the part number, paid for it, and was starting to leave when another customer asked me which department I worked for. Having been asked the question before, I just said "Michigan Militia." Now that raised a few eyebrows. :biggrin:

We we're in El Paso couple weeks ago & watched a gathering of about 6 LEO's each one had a different weapon. From a Glock, an M&P a 357 mag revolver with wooden grips & perl inlays. All in uniform. & a couple others but those we're the guys standing outside the restaurant window. We could really see well. The revolver was a show piece long barrel. Looked like a .357 but might have been a 44 mag. So saying in some places they might not always use a "cop gun" oh & it was stainless steel 2

I don't know if anyone still reads this thread, BUT...I think open carry is a bad idea. Picture this: You go to a gas station late at night. You are inside when two guys come in to rob the place. One of them sees your gun. What do you think he's going to do? Who is he going to shoot first (especially if he thinks you're a cop)?
Here's another issue;
If you go to Wal-Mart, Target, or ANY store, do you think that might attract unwanted attention? Will they call 911 and how are you going to get out of this one? More to the point, how many anti-gun people are going to call 911? In some cities, whether OC is legal or not, Law Enforcement will hassle you endlessly... I can't speak for anywhere else, but in Colorado, OC is perfectly legal, however, not in Denver, especially if you own magazines over 10 round capacity. Your Glock 17 with 17+1 capacity is considered an 'assault weapon' in Denver.... Denver seems to trump state law due to a 'home rule' program. Make sure you think this over very carefully...
Also, post people don't know the first thing about which guns are LE and which guns are for hunting. They don't know a shotgun from an 'assault rifle'. If it's long and black in colour, it's an assault rifle. Re-paint your snow shovel :laugh: Also, they can't distinguish a Glock, a Springfield XD/XDM, an Kel-Tec, or a 1911. Most people are very ignorant. Keep that in mind. Never underestimate the power of uneducated people in large numbers....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back