Wearing business attire - false assumption you're a police officer?

lavaman

Hello everyone,

I am curious to know how the general public will perceive me while wearing my usual professional business attire while open carrying my PF9? Do you feel they will assume I'm an officer of the law?

Just curious. All criticism is accepted.

Thanks!

Thomas

If your apperance is clean cut, then probably yes. I was at my pharmacy a while back in a pair of dockers with a dress shirt.

When I reached for my wallet the guy sitting down notice my weapon. He asked me what Department I worked for. I advised him that I wasn't an officer, He looked Confused as I said have a nice day

In the United States, open carry is shorthand terminology for "openly carrying a firearm in public", as distinguished from concealed carry, where firearms cannot be seen by the casual observer.

that being said .. they probably would consider you a LEO .. although a LEO would consider you as CCing .. or maybe a BG? .. i don't know if i would chance that ..

is this something you have considered? ..

just curious ..
SB

Maybe I'm wrong, but in a suit why not just go ahead and CC? Unless of course your motivation for OC'ing is, indeed, public perception? It seems that that is what you are interested in is the public perception. Why draw attention to yourself? just sayin'

Not a fan of OC myself, but why would an LEO think a guy OC'ing would be a BG?

I'm thinking a BG would more like be CC'ing?

KK

PS..I like Kel-Tec's, have a few myself but I just thought that was funny! :)

Absolutely. Even a casually dressed open carrier, if male, middle aged or older, and relatively clean-cut, appears to be some kind of legal--even to me. Fact is, you just don't see a lot of ordinary Joes open carrying, so it's somewhat unexpected.

It take it your talking about the keltec pf9... I don't think they make an open carry holsters forThis gun... I usually carry this on an ankle rig if I'm dressed to wear I have to have Shirt tucked in... While i am still armed with a kabar tdi on my right side for close quarter attacks... Ankle rig is more for an situation where i see or hear shots but sm not engaged... Due a 7 round mag I carry a few extra in my poket as hell

One option is to get a smaller gun like keltecs 380 and pocket carry...

Or my friend has a kahr pm9 same size as pf9 and was using a hide a tuck holster and had his shirt tucked in and I had no idea he was carrying...

In the United States, open carry is shorthand terminology for "openly carrying a firearm in public", as distinguished from concealed carry, where firearms cannot be seen by the casual observer.

that being said .. they probably would consider you a LEO .. although a LEO would consider you as CCing .. or maybe a BG? .. i don't know if i would chance that ..

is this something you have considered? ..

just curious ..
SB

Yes. I have considered the effects it may have on a LEO. However, I have not yet received my CCW, so I don't have much of a choice :(

Maybe I'm wrong, but in a suit why not just go ahead and CC? Unless of course your motivation for OC'ing is, indeed, public perception? It seems that that is what you are interested in is the public perception. Why draw attention to yourself? just sayin'

The reason I don't CC is because I have not yet received my permit. The next class is late November, and even after passing it you have to wait an additional 4 weeks before it's in your hands. I almost always dress proper and professional regardless of what the itinerary is, so the way I'm perceived remains consistent.

I am in no way whatsoever trying to draw attention to myself. I just want to protect my body and property at all times.

Absolutely. Even a casually dressed open carrier, if male, middle aged or older, and relatively clean-cut, appears to be some kind of legal--even to me. Fact is, you just don't see a lot of ordinary Joes open carrying, so it's somewhat unexpected.

Thank you for the response. Do you feel a LEO would stop me for any reason at all? I just don't want my day interrupted because some hot headed officer feels he has the legal right to harass somebody for bearing arms.

It take it your talking about the keltec pf9... I don't think they make an open carry holsters forThis gun... I usually carry this on an ankle rig if I'm dressed to wear I have to have Shirt tucked in... While i am still armed with a kabar tdi on my right side for close quarter attacks... Ankle rig is more for an situation where i see or hear shots but sm not engaged... Due a 7 round mag I carry a few extra in my poket as hell

One option is to get a smaller gun like keltecs 380 and pocket carry...

Or my friend has a kahr pm9 same size as pf9 and was using a hide a tuck holster and had his shirt tucked in and I had no idea he was carrying...

Correct. I am talking about the KelTec PF9 9MM Handgun. When I checked the gun at my local arms dealer, they showed me two different holsters that fit it perfectly; albeit created for a different kind of gun. Both were for OC and leather w/ retention strap.

Thank you for the response. Do you feel a LEO would stop me for any reason at all? I just don't want my day interrupted because some hot headed officer feels he has the legal right to harass somebody for bearing arms.

Depends on where you live, how densely populated, what part of the country, etc. Sometimes cops don't even know the local regs. But if you are legal to open carry, and you suspect it may be an issue, there's a lot of good advice throughout this forum on how to react and interact so the outcome is in your favor.

Depends on where you live, how densely populated, what part of the country, etc. Sometimes cops don't even know the local regs. But if you are legal to open carry, and you suspect it may be an issue, there's a lot of good advice throughout this forum on how to react and interact so the outcome is in your favor.

I see. I live in Lexington, KY. We are considered a "Gold Star" Open Carry state and there are no revised statutes that govern the right to do so. :)

Thanks so much for the prompt response. How's Idaho going for you?

I take it your talking about the keltec pf9... I don't think they make an open carry holsters for This gun...

I have a Fobus paddle holster for carrying my PF9 for open carry. I normally wear what I call hiking pants, the nylon quick dry with zip off legs and a polo type shirt. So on occasion I've had the occasional are you LEO question. The PF9 was my first pistol, I now OC a full size Taurus 24/7 9mm.

I have a Fobus paddle holster for carrying my PF9 for open carry. I normally wear what I call hiking pants, the nylon quick dry with zip off legs and a polo type shirt. So on occasion I've had the occasional are you LEO question. The PF9 was my first pistol, I now OC a full size Taurus 24/7 9mm.

That's awesome! What did the holster cost you? Any possible way you could direct me to an online shop that sells them cheap?

Also, how's the recoil on your PF9? Does it ever want to jump out of your hand when you fire it?

Thanks!

I think I got it on flee-bay for less than $20. To me the recoil is not bad, but being so small I would consider it pretty "snappy". If it is "limp wrist-ed" it will have FTE. Very nice for the size and price. Just don't mess with the factory site positions. I thought the rear site was not centered, so I centered it and couldn't hit squat. Leave it alone!. I like my full size Taurus 24/7 for shooting, because the weight keeps it more controllable and is SA. I will not get rid of my PF9 for any reason. P.S. I want a Sub 2000K.

I think I got it on flee-bay for less than $20. To me the recoil is not bad, but being so small I would consider it pretty "snappy". If it is "limp wrist-ed" it will have FTE. Very nice for the size and price. Just don't mess with the factory site positions. I thought the rear site was not centered, so I centered it and couldn't hit squat. Leave it alone!. I like my full size Taurus 24/7 for shooting, because the weight keeps it more controllable and is SA. I will not get rid of my PF9 for any reason. P.S. I want a Sub 2000K.

The gun shop I went to tried to get me to purchase one of their leather holsters for $60! That's quite steep for a holster that solely relies on a retention strap for protection of the firearm. I have yet to shoot my PF9, but feel it'll be a breeze to fire; and great for protection!

Is there a specific reason why it would FTE?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back