Wearing business attire - false assumption you're a police officer?

Is there a specific reason why it would FTE?
Like I said if you "limp wrist-it". Not holding it firmly causes the slide to not go fully to the rear. This can happen with a lot of autos. I personally don't like leather, I'm a "modern plastic kind of guy". The Fobus holster is an adjustable friction holster. Just my .02.

A limp wrist takes the snap out of the slide coming back. It like swinging a bat and breaking your wrists before the follow thru. Your wrists breaking interrupts the inertial effects by stopping the forward force you are exerting.

Your wrist will absorb the force instead of the slide.

KK

I'm not sure Joe Average would recognize the Kel-Tec as a real handgun.

What, are you kidding?

To Joe Average, a Kel-Tec is a "Glock".

To Joe Average, there are only four guns:
1. Hunting Rifle (Anything without a pistol grip or removable magazine. Some may call them all "Twenty-two", some may call them all "shotgun".)
2. Ay Kay 47 (Anything with a pistol grip and/or removable magazine, they're all fully automatic to them.)
3. Glock (Any semi-automatic pistol.)
4. Forty Four Magnum (Possibly "Smith and Wesson", aka: revolver.)

Joe-Watches-Slightly-More-Movies Average *MIGHT* add "Uzi" or "Mack ten" to that list. (Older will call 'em Uzi, younger will call 'em Mack ten. Any pistol with a removable magazine that goes in front of the trigger, again, they're all fully automatic to them.)

Show them something different (PS-90, Calico,) and they'll probably think it's a "Sci-Fi ray-gun toy".

A limp wrist takes the snap out of the slide coming back. It like swinging a bat and breaking your wrists before the follow thru. Your wrists breaking interrupts the inertial effects by stopping the forward force you are exerting.

Your wrist will absorb the force instead of the slide.

KK

Good explanation.

Like I said if you "limp wrist-it". Not holding it firmly causes the slide to not go fully to the rear. This can happen with a lot of autos. I personally don't like leather, I'm a "modern plastic kind of guy". The Fobus holster is an adjustable friction holster. Just my .02.

Do you feel a local "Galls," or gun shop will have that type of holster? I like plastic as well. It gives the gun an awesome sound when pulled from the holster.

What, are you kidding?

1. Hunting Rifle (Anything without a pistol grip or removable magazine. Some may call them all "Twenty-two", some may call them all "shotgun".)
2. Ay Kay 47 (Anything with a pistol grip and/or removable magazine, they're all fully automatic to them.)

Joe-Watches-Slightly-More-Movies Average *MIGHT* add "Uzi" or "Mack ten" to that list. (Older will call 'em Uzi, younger will call 'em Mack ten. Any pistol with a removable magazine that goes in front of the trigger, again, they're all fully automatic to them.)

Show them something different (PS-90, Calico,) and they'll probably think it's a "Sci-Fi ray-gun toy".

This is hilarious, but true! I'd say most of the general public will think my gun is a "glock." We shall soon see!

What, are you kidding?

LOL Where is the pissing-my-pants smiley? This post needs one of those!

Nice one Ed!

Back to the OP. Another persons assumption is just that. What they may see or not, what they may understand or not is not my concern. I CC and OC legally. At times I will wear a sports jacket. I carry a 1911 MIL-SPEC in a factory OWB and really don't care if it shows or not. I'm covered either way. (no pun intended). I'm middle aged, clean cut with short hair. Although a bit girthy in the mid section, I do not carry myself as a LEO nor do I try to present myself as one. IF Joe/Jane citizen assumes anything about me that's their assumption.

What, are you kidding?

That's awesome.

Heck, I had someone ask if I was a federal agent once because I had a cell phone headset in. (Back in the early days of cell phone headsets, it was a "single earpiece on a wire.") I've had a friend get asked "Are you a cop?" while he was open carrying at a fast food joint - he was dressed *NOTHING* like you would expect of a police officer. (Shorts and sandals, aloha shirt, "fishing" cap.)

I think you will be disappointed at the reactions you will not receive when you start to open carry. The sound of a plastic holster is very cool, and unique, and very recognizable. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I was in your shoes as well when I moved from my home state to my new present state. I had a waiting period for my new permit, open carried during that time...and haven't gone back to CC'ing! :)

Heck, I had someone ask if I was a federal agent once because I had a cell phone headset in. (Back in the early days of cell phone headsets, it was a "single earpiece on a wire.") I've had a friend get asked "Are you a cop?" while he was open carrying at a fast food joint - he was dressed *NOTHING* like you would expect of a police officer. (Shorts and sandals, aloha shirt, "fishing" cap.)

Man...that's totally how I picture an off duty officer dress. Maybe because that's how my uncle dresses hahaha

I think you will be disappointed at the reactions you will not receive when you start to open carry. The sound of a plastic holster is very cool, and unique, and very recognizable. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I was in your shoes as well when I moved from my home state to my new present state. I had a waiting period for my new permit, open carried during that time...and haven't gone back to CC'ing! :)

Yeah, those plastic holsters look better as well :)

I'm sure most people that notice Open carriers are either nervous to talk to them or are frightened at the sight of the gun. What is your take on this matter?

Even when I get my CCW permit, I think I'll continue to OC as a normal routine.

lavaman:244003 said:

Yeah, those plastic holsters look better as well :)

I'm sure most people that notice Open carriers are either nervous to talk to them or are frightened at the sight of the gun. What is your take on this matter?

Even when I get my CCW permit, I think I'll continue to OC as a normal routine.

Well I think the look is a personal matter. I like both leather and plastic holsters when it comes to looks.

I have only seen a three people notice my gun (im sure there were others that I did not see notice)...but of those that I noticed only 1 looked suprised I was carrying, not scared. The others didn't give it a second look, they simply acknowledged it and kept going on their way. I have had a six people start up a conversation about the local ranges around here, and the local laws concerning gun ownership. They have always been a positive encounter. The Open Carriers around the tri cities get together frequently to clean up the local public ranges. I think you wlll enjoy the open carry lifestyle the more you do it. Now that it is winter, and getting pretty cold outside, I wear a coat and it conceals my handgun until I get into a warmer area.

lavaman:244250 said:
So you're saying open carrying a firearm is a lifestyle change? How so?

The freedom. It's so relaxing and comfortable. Not worrying if you are printing, or showing the item you wish to keep from anyone knowing about. I stopped checking the mirror before leaving to make sure nothing was out of place. My clothing fits nicely now, I tend to dress nicer than the average person in my area. All the positive education I have been able to give was something I never experienced as a conceal carrier. I used to be worried about what to say if I was caught concealing, luckily it never happened, it was just an added stressor. Open carrying forced me to really know my local laws and responses, and I feel much more comfortable carrying in general. My awareness and politeness have not changed, but that hasn't changed much since even before I carried in the first place. My lifestyle has changed for the better, in all aspects, that is why I decided to stick with it and not go back to CC'ing exclusively.

In most.states that allow open carry you still need a concealed carry permit to carry a gun that is not openly visable. To accomplish this while wearing buisness attire you would have to wear a suit jacket. To remain in the realm of open carry you would have your gun visible. Do you wear it as a belt buckle and leave you coat open? Are you wearing a shoulder rig on TOP of your coat? How does that work? I carry concealed and if somebody asks me if im a cop then I am doing wrong.

In most.states that allow open carry you still need a concealed carry permit to carry a gun that is not openly visable. To accomplish this while wearing buisness attire you would have to wear a suit jacket. To remain in the realm of open carry you would have your gun visible. Do you wear it as a belt buckle and leave you coat open? Are you wearing a shoulder rig on TOP of your coat? How does that work? I carry concealed and if somebody asks me if im a cop then I am doing wrong.

I appreciate the response. Please provide cites and detailed information proving most Open Carry states require a permit. The ambiguous response is puzzling.

agrippakc:244363 said:

I'm not sure who you are asking, or what your specific question is.... but I can give you the wardrobe I use. My firearm is OWB strong side @ 2:30 position. My attire only includes a jacket when its cold, otherwise i am wearing a vest over my shirt. When it's cold and I have my jacket on I am concealed, when I get into a warmer area I go back to my standard open carry method when I take my coat off. I don't expect anyone to ask me if I am a police officer if I have my jacket on, just when I have my jacket off. This is what I believe the OP is asking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back