Walmart - LEO Encounter

lavaman

As I was walking in my local WalMart, I noticed one of my police buddies standing at the door. I approached him and asked what his take was on Open Carrying in stores such as this one. He replied: "I would ask, well, if it's ok with the store then I would have no problem. As long as it's not concealed, you're good to go."

I told him I own a PF9 and thought about open carrying in stores. He said that would be completely ok! Apparently Jeff knows the state law very well :)

I guess I won't have to worry about open carrying in the city of Lexington anymore...

In KS, the state says ok but the local cities and counties can make their own rules. It's a crime in overland park, but not a state crime.

A word of advice. Never take legal advice from an LEO. He may be your buddy...but if he advised you wrong, and it goes to court, you can bet that conversation will be one that he "can't recall."

If your State has CCW thats great, myself I feel the less people see the better, so I CCW and will stay CCW even if Oklahoma votes for OC.

A word of advice. Never take legal advice from an LEO. He may be your buddy...but if he advised you wrong, and it goes to court, you can bet that conversation will be one that he "can't recall."

The DA, or most any attorney for that matter, won't give $.02 worth of consideration as to what any cop did nor did not say to anyone about any law, nor would they care about any advise the cop did or did not give, nor would most judges or most groups of hand chosen 12. ...Just my $.02.

Like Phillip said, sorta, a cop can tell you he'd look the other way if you went through this or that stop sign, but...

The DA, or most any attorney for that matter, won't give $.02 worth of consideration as to what any cop did nor did not say to anyone about any law, nor would they care about any advise the cop did or did not give, nor would most judges or most groups of hand chosen 12. ...Just my $.02.

Like Phillip said, sorta, a cop can tell you he'd look the other way if you went through this or that stop sign, but...

I do agree. Cops are shady characters and will snitch on you/make up lies to get them places in a heartbeat! Oh, those places being a "Detectives" desk.

I do agree. Cops are shady characters and will snitch on you/make up lies to get them places in a heartbeat! Oh, those places being a "Detectives" desk.

I cant help but notice the anti-cop sentiment, so lets try to make sense of it.
Next year is police academy for me, so since police are "shady characters", at what point does my character become "shady"? Am I shady already? Do I become shady when I put on a badge? Do I become shady when I help a woman escape her abusive husband who threatens to kill her and the kids if she doesnt leave the house? Or do a small percentage of the police make mistakes from time to time in which you see them in the news and that causes you to stereotype and label all police as "shady characters"?

I cant help but notice the anti-cop sentiment, so lets try to make sense of it.
Next year is police academy for me, so since police are "shady characters", at what point does my character become "shady"? Am I shady already? Do I become shady when I put on a badge? Do I become shady when I help a woman escape her abusive husband who threatens to kill her and the kids if she doesnt leave the house? Or do a small percentage of the police make mistakes from time to time in which you see them in the news and that causes you to stereotype and label all police as "shady characters"?

Police officers become "shady" the minute they step foot in a police academy setting. Why? Because the academy turns an ordinary citizen into an officer of the law. You are trained to recognize every citizen as a criminal and stereotype to create probable cause. Having gone on several patrol ridealongs, I've witnessed the lazy, unethical persona's these officers possess on a daily basis. Officers should "enforce" the laws in which all citizens shall abide by. Not create new one's and intimidate the vulnerable public.

One of the first things I noticed here on USAC is the anti LEO sentiment. I even commented on it after just a couple of days on this site.

I don't get it either. In 57 years, I have run into a 'holier than thou' attitude in a handful of them but I usually attribute that to the fact that they are uncomfortable with their position in a certain setting and they want you to be sure they are unapproachable as a friend. I maintain respect and all remains fine. Most of the time they even may lighten up.

I've seen it go the other way when others portray an attitude toward them.

Most have been just regular guys trying to do their jobs while trying to stay aware of the surroundings.

There are some horror stories and those are splattered all over the news and Internet which exacerbates the feelings on both sides.

With the attitudes portrayed here on a site that seemingly should be a group of folks who supposedly are law abiding citizens and have proven they are by the fact that they are gun owners, gun buyers and having attained the proper credentials allowing them to carry a weapon, it sure seems like there is a disdain for the folks who are charged with enforcing the law.

I am nobody's suck up or ass kisser. You can ask anyone that has known me for any period of time. Showing a bit of respect for LEO's takes nothing of my time and because I do, maybe that is why I never have a problem with those who are charged with enforcing the law.

I guess, in most cases, you get what you give. Show me a butt hole cop and I'll show you 100 and more civilians who are worse.

Just sayin'.

I'm ready to take my licks but I'm not budging from this opinion. I haven't so far and it's easier to maintain than to change.

KK

Police officers become "shady" the minute they step foot in a police academy setting. Why? Because the academy turns an ordinary citizen into an officer of the law. You are trained to recognize every citizen as a criminal and stereotype to create probable cause. Having gone on several patrol ridealongs, I've witnessed the lazy, unethical persona's these officers possess on a daily basis. Officers should "enforce" the laws in which all citizens shall abide by. Not create new one's and intimidate the vulnerable public.

So I assume you have gone to police academy and are not just making uneducated statements about what actually takes place in the academy. In all my ride alongs, I have only witnessed honest, hard working cops that care about their work and do their best to be mediators in sticky domestic situations, and uphold the laws we deem important. On one ride along we ended up at a WalMart where a mother had been putting stuff in her 7 year old boy's pockets in an attempt to shop lift. The arresting cop had to charge her with contributing to the delinquency of a minor even though he said right in front of us that it saddens him that he has to apply this felony charge to a poor woman in a bad situation even though she chose to act in a bad manner. These police care about their citizens and they want to help people. No matter what your experiences are, they cannot be applied to all police officers.

I do not deny that there are many mean and crooked cops out there. These are the ones we see on the news and they give the rest a bad image. But this is expected because police departments recruit from the human population were mean people exist.

This is the point:
Stereotypes do nothing but divide people and cause more hate in this world. Do not assume every cop is the devil.

So I assume you have gone to police academy and are not just making uneducated statements about what actually takes place in the academy. In all my ride alongs, I have only witnessed honest, hard working cops that care about their work and do their best to be mediators in sticky domestic situations, and uphold the laws we deem important. On one ride along we ended up at a WalMart where a mother had been putting stuff in her 7 year old boy's pockets in an attempt to shop lift. The arresting cop had to charge her with contributing to the delinquency of a minor even though he said right in front of us that it saddens him that he has to apply this felony charge to a poor woman in a bad situation even though she chose to act in a bad manner. These police care about their citizens and they want to help people. No matter what your experiences are, they cannot be applied to all police officers.

I do not deny that there are many mean and crooked cops out there. These are the ones we see on the news and they give the rest a bad image. But this is expected because police departments recruit from the human population were mean people exist.

This is the point:
Stereotypes do nothing but divide people and cause more hate in this world. Do not assume every cop is the devil.

I am in no way whatsoever applying this tag to every officer that works a beat. I was merely stating my experience with several officers while on a patrol ridealong. The officers in my city are absolutely horrendous in the aspect of profiling ordinary citizens. On one occasion, I actually recall an officer calling a black female "a stupid nigger monkey." You're telling me this doesn't leave a negative lasting impression?

I also attended what is called a "CPA" or Citizen Police Academy. It was exclusive to law abiding citizens who're interested in the law enforcement career field. Only 25 get in twice a year, so I took advantage of the opportunity.

While I was in the CPA classes, I took notes on how certain officers and superiors presented themselves. Let's just say that was an awful analyzation of our so-called "protectors." The chief of police was so arrogant, he would barely shake my hand! Let alone shake like a man (hard grip). I thought I was shaking the hand of a 60lb woman for God's sake!

I cannot wait to become a police officer. I'll show these inferior rats what I'm made of!! :)

I am in no way whatsoever applying this tag to every officer that works a beat. I was merely stating my experience with several officers while on a patrol ridealong. The officers in my city are absolutely horrendous in the aspect of profiling ordinary citizens. On one occasion, I actually recall an officer calling a black female "a stupid nigger monkey." You're telling me this doesn't leave a negative lasting impression?

I also attended what is called a "CPA" or Citizen Police Academy. It was exclusive to law abiding citizens who're interested in the law enforcement career field. Only 25 get in twice a year, so I took advantage of the opportunity.

While I was in the CPA classes, I took notes on how certain officers and superiors presented themselves. Let's just say that was an awful analyzation of our so-called "protectors." The chief of police was so arrogant, he would barely shake my hand! Let alone shake like a man (hard grip). I thought I was shaking the hand of a 60lb woman for God's sake!

I cannot wait to become a police officer. I'll show these inferior rats what I'm made of!! :)

Well the only thing left to say about this is you have had negative experiences, and I have had positive experiences. Police are human so there are good ones and bad ones. But not all can be assumed to be shady and willing to lie.

Well the only thing left to say about this is you have had negative experiences, and I have had positive experiences. Police are human so there are good ones and bad ones. But not all can be assumed to be shady and willing to lie.

I completely agree with your statement. Not all humans should be treated in the same fashion because one spoils the batch.

Lavaman: I may be wrong but you impress me as being a young person who is in dire need of a cleansing enema to rid you of all the crap you are spreading. You demean LEOs on one hand and, on the other, say you want to be one. I hardly think attendance at a "Civilian Police Academy" qualifies you to be critical of even the Chief of Police. As for showing "those inferior rats" what you are made of, you have shown just how immature you are and the need to consider an alternate career field where you can do no harm. It is easy to be critical of LEOs when you are just an observer rather than taking the risks they do on a daily basis. Are you sure you wouldn't just wet your pants in a bad situation? There were two LEOs killed down here not too long ago. They had gone out on a domestic disturbance call. Upon arrival, one was immediately shot and killed. The other was shot and killed trying to retrieve his partner. Were they "inferior rats" like you referred to? Tell that to their widows and children. Grow up son, then make your choices.

Lavaman: I may be wrong but you impress me as being a young person who is in dire need of a cleansing enema to rid you of all the crap you are spreading. You demean LEOs on one hand and, on the other, say you want to be one. I hardly think attendance at a "Civilian Police Academy" qualifies you to be critical of even the Chief of Police. As for showing "those inferior rats" what you are made of, you have shown just how immature you are and the need to consider an alternate career field where you can do no harm. It is easy to be critical of LEOs when you are just an observer rather than taking the risks they do on a daily basis. Are you sure you wouldn't just wet your pants in a bad situation? There were two LEOs killed down here not too long ago. They had gone out on a domestic disturbance call. Upon arrival, one was immediately shot and killed. The other was shot and killed trying to retrieve his partner. Were they "inferior rats" like you referred to? Tell that to their widows and children. Grow up son, then make your choices.

If I told you I served 2 tours in Iraq during the worst part of the war? Would your opinion change? What if I told you I was an EOD who's job was required to help innocent bystanders and citizens continue life without a hindrance?

Think before you type.

@KK. There are LEO's that do drunk with power, and there LEO's that are outstanding officers. But the one's that do not take the spirit of the law rather the Letter of the law and them there's some that go overboard. I had an experience last March with La County Sherrif Dept. Where I had taken somebodydown at gun point in my front yard, there were two men breaking into my car. They left in a hurry and crashed a block away. But when the Sherrif Deputies arrived I was immediately handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car. They then entered my house searching for more weapons, they went into my workshop and began throwing everything to the ground and they found my safe open because I removed a rifle for the prior incident so the started taking rifles out. They deemed that three rifles and one handgun to be illegal so they seized the weapons and I was arrested for having illegal Assult Riflea in my possession which was untrue (I am in Ca) I was them arrested for those charges also the handgun they said was not registered which it is. I was taken to the station and booked accordingly, my handgun was taken back to my wife because as my wife told me my handgun was ok because it was stored unloaded but I ha to register it which it already was I have the documentation that shows it being registered. The next day the DA did not want to pursue charges because there was no problem with any of my weapons. Now they will not return my weapons because they are still swearing that they are in an illegal formation because of th California restrictions so after almost a year they still have my rifles and they are sti not wanting to return them. All because of the seargant who felt foolish for doing something stupid (which is a whole new story).
So my point being that there negative LEO's out there.

LAVAMAN

I think your tinfoil hat is on too tight. If you think you can do a better job then law enforcement maybe you should apply.

lavaman:244088 said:

If I told you I served 2 tours in Iraq during the worst part of the war? Would your opinion change? What if I told you I was an EOD who's job was required to help innocent bystanders and citizens continue life without a hindrance?

Think before you type.

Is this true?

I have a feeling there is a lot of typing before thinking...I was about to ask that same exact question on another thread but decided the person I was referring too would just keep calling everyone names. No sense in fueling the fire.

*EDIT: After recent posts, I realized I spoke to soon. Edited appropriately*

So now you hate cops?

I think I allowed that there were some butthole cops. I also don't see how a gun can be deemed illegal in the eyes of the CA law when it isn't, but that's just me.

Proving to me that there is yet one more bad cop does not make me think I may want to rethink my stance. I guess I don't get your point.

@KK. There are LEO's that do drunk with power, and there LEO's that are outstanding officers. But the one's that do not take the spirit of the law rather the Letter of the law and them there's some that go overboard. I had an experience last March with La County Sherrif Dept. Where I had taken somebodydown at gun point in my front yard, there were two men breaking into my car. They left in a hurry and crashed a block away. But when the Sherrif Deputies arrived I was immediately handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car. They then entered my house searching for more weapons, they went into my workshop and began throwing everything to the ground and they found my safe open because I removed a rifle for the prior incident so the started taking rifles out. They deemed that three rifles and one handgun to be illegal so they seized the weapons and I was arrested for having illegal Assult Riflea in my possession which was untrue (I am in Ca) I was them arrested for those charges also the handgun they said was not registered which it is. I was taken to the station and booked accordingly, my handgun was taken back to my wife because as my wife told me my handgun was ok because it was stored unloaded but I ha to register it which it already was I have the documentation that shows it being registered. The next day the DA did not want to pursue charges because there was no problem with any of my weapons. Now they will not return my weapons because they are still swearing that they are in an illegal formation because of th California restrictions so after almost a year they still have my rifles and they are sti not wanting to return them. All because of the seargant who felt foolish for doing something stupid (which is a whole new story).
So my point being that there negative LEO's out there.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back