Walmart - LEO Encounter

He was scary. Good riddance.

KK

He probably watches the new show "Bomb Patrol Afghanistan" if he is trying to say he was a member of an EOD unit because he had to say something that made him sound cool so everyone would stop questioning him and his validity, that's my thought

This thread reminds me that I need to keep up on my HAZMAT, HAZCOMMM and HAZWOPER courses before they expire so I can continue to take some UXO courses. Thank you for reminding me Walmart!

Good Point, Phil

Phil brings up a good point. Out 'buddy'LEOs are enforcing the law. As they interpret the law at a moment. Prosecutors and judges, though, might interpret law differently. I think it would be best to contact prosecuting attorneys concerning laws that we may or may not break through ignorance. I've also found that legislative assistants in legislators' offices will research this stuff if you contact your legislator.

Hey navy LCDR
Lets see you have a 99% chance of encountering a "good" cop and a 1% chance of encountering a "bad" cop. Those sound like fantastic odds in my favor to me! And according to the chart, police work is NUMBER 3 in TOTAL fatalities for 2010. Considering the total number of Police officers in the US [about 750k] vs total number of people who drive for a living [Way more than 750k] its still a dangerous way to make a middle class living. I would expect people who drive for a living to die in greater numbers as fatal MVA's far outnumber fatal police shootings. But there's a big difference between getting killed in an accident at work and getting killed by someone who deliberately decides to kill you because of the way you are dressed or the job you do. The only other job I know of where violent death by gunfire, explosive device, edged weapon or hand to hand combat are considered occupational hazzards are the military services...

Hey navy LCDR
Lets see you have a 99% chance of encountering a "good" cop and a 1% chance of encountering a "bad" cop. Those sound like fantastic odds in my favor to me! And according to the chart, police work is NUMBER 3 in TOTAL fatalities for 2010. Considering the total number of Police officers in the US [about 750k] vs total number of people who drive for a living [Way more than 750k] its still a dangerous way to make a middle class living. I would expect people who drive for a living to die in greater numbers as fatal MVA's far outnumber fatal police shootings. But there's a big difference between getting killed in an accident at work and getting killed by someone who deliberately decides to kill you because of the way you are dressed or the job you do. The only other job I know of where violent death by gunfire, explosive device, edged weapon or hand to hand combat are considered occupational hazzards are the military services...

First - the total number of deaths on a job does not determine at all how dangerous an occupation is. If there were 10 underwater basket weavers in the US last year, and last year 10 underwater basket weavers died on the job - would you want to be an underwater basket weaver? Only 10 died last year. It doesn't matter that it is a 100% death rate, right? The rate of fatalities per capita is what determines the danger. Police officer is still 10th on the list.

Second - more police officers die due to highway accidents than are killed by gun fire.

Third - What is the great travesty of asking, "Officer, are you detaining me?" and if the answer is no, then reply, "Thank you, sir, I hope you have a nice day!" whether or not the officer is one of the 99% or 1%?

I cant help but notice the anti-cop sentiment, so lets try to make sense of it.
Next year is police academy for me, so since police are "shady characters", at what point does my character become "shady"? Am I shady already? Do I become shady when I put on a badge? Do I become shady when I help a woman escape her abusive husband who threatens to kill her and the kids if she doesnt leave the house? Or do a small percentage of the police make mistakes from time to time in which you see them in the news and that causes you to stereotype and label all police as "shady characters"?

Here's my rule of thumb: cops become shady the minute they suspect you of a crime you did not commit.

Police officers become "shady" the minute they step foot in a police academy setting. Why? Because the academy turns an ordinary citizen into an officer of the law. You are trained to recognize every citizen as a criminal and stereotype to create probable cause. Having gone on several patrol ridealongs, I've witnessed the lazy, unethical persona's these officers possess on a daily basis. Officers should "enforce" the laws in which all citizens shall abide by. Not create new one's and intimidate the vulnerable public.

Haha. He said "stereotype"....:rolleyes:

shady

Not all LEO's are shady.thank you. Many do not know all the laws of ccw or oc. Ky is of and I often do especially in Walmart.Its on my way to the range.

Do I become shady when I put on a badge?
No, you become dangerous. Whether that danger remains potential or is realized is TOTALLY at YOUR discretion. That's why I don't speak to the police without legal representation for any but the most trivial matters and would NEVER consent to a search under ANY circumstances.

Shady? Are you wearing a Chicago, Philadelphia or New Orleans badge? If not, PROBABLY not...

Am I shady already? Do I become shady when I put on a badge?

No, you do not become shady when you put on a badge, automatically. Detaining a person when you have no reasonable suspicion that they are committing a crime puts you in the shady category, to me. Simple "shady" or "not shady" test that can be administered in just a few seconds: "Officer, are you detaining me?" or "Officer, am I free to go?" Very simple yes/no test for shady character wearing a badge.

LE0's are like the rest of society, most good, some bad and like you and I are trying to support themselves and their family. As far as individuals and their military service, if you served God bless you, if you did not no problem either, just don't claim you did. PS: have a dd-214 to prove I did, just saying.

LE0's are like the rest of society
Not really true.
  • Police have MUCH more power than the average citizen.
  • Police have MUCH more power to do harm than the average citizen.
  • Police have MUCH more power to use to conceal harm they may do.

In recent years, the Chicago Police Department has had a home invasion/burglary/kidnapping ring operating INSIDE of it.

Five guys in hoodies, intent upon robbing you kick open your door carrying guns. You shoot them.

Five guys with REAL badges with EXACTLY the same intent, kick open your door carrying guns. What do you do?

I have NO legal duty to let somebody commit a violent crime against me... unless he's a cop.

The home invaders in hoodies don't have the presumption of truth or the ability to falsify official documents. The home invaders with badges do. You could ask Katherine Johnston about that... if she was still alive.

Those are BIG differences.

Those are enough reasons to use whatever meager tools you have to protect yourself from the police.

Given the ability of the police to both do harm and to conceal evidence of that harm, "Am I free to leave, Officer?" and "I do not consent to a search." seem exceptionally mild countermeasures.

Skipped your meds this morning, deanimator? :)

I just thought I would put that in there before GOV(government)5 did.

Skipped your meds this morning, deanimator? :)

I just thought I would put that in there before GOV(government)5 did.
Actually waiting to hear if the Harless disciplinary hearing in Canton has been postponed again... or whether they've given him some sort of medal (deservedly, the anti-partisan badge).

Phillip Gain:243976 said:
A word of advice. Never take legal advice from an LEO. He may be your buddy...but if he advised you wrong, and it goes to court, you can bet that conversation will be one that he "can't recall."
I think they call that "Selective Amnesia "

No, you become dangerous. Whether that danger remains potential or is realized is TOTALLY at YOUR discretion. That's why I don't speak to the police without legal representation for any but the most trivial matters and would NEVER consent to a search under ANY circumstances.

Shady? Are you wearing a Chicago, Philadelphia or New Orleans badge? If not, PROBABLY not...

No I am not working in those crap cities. And I would appreciate you not judging me before you have even met me, and long before I have even got a badge. And by the way, everyone is dangerous or has the potential to be.

No, you do not become shady when you put on a badge, automatically.

Thanks for not judging me as much as Deanimator.

Police officers become "shady" the minute they step foot in a police academy setting. Why? Because the academy turns an ordinary citizen into an officer of the law. You are trained to recognize every citizen as a criminal and stereotype to create probable cause. Having gone on several patrol ridealongs, I've witnessed the lazy, unethical persona's these officers possess on a daily basis. Officers should "enforce" the laws in which all citizens shall abide by. Not create new one's and intimidate the vulnerable public.

Haha. He said "stereotype"....:rolleyes:

Im guessing you have gone to police academy and not merely speculating based on your biases and opinions? Because that would have no basis. I have gone on many ride alongs and witnessed honest, hard working people responding to non-stop calls for help or support.

Firefighters go to fire academy. Does that change who they are and make them think of every situation as a fire or fire waiting to happen? Do they refuse to have camp fires, grills, cigarettes, candles? No. They simply put on a uniform and do a job, go home, take off the uniform, and take care of their families.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back