Time it took to get my Virginia Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit

Tomorrow is Monday and my 90 day waiting period is up. maybe someone will talk to me now.

My 90 day wait should be coming up to, I'll probably give them a call next week. You might already have this but I figured I'll give you the number a lady from the Virginia permit office gave me, 804-674-2210. Let me know if you get any results, if anything hopefully you calling will speed up their progress.

received a response back today and the lady stated in the email that the permit should be issued within 90 days or less from the time of payment confirmation.

I was under the impression that is the permit isn't issued within 45 days then by law they have to send a temporary permit? I guess they only bring up the law when it's something that's in their favor.

You're under the wrong impression. The 45 day defacto permit only applies to state residents. Frankly, treating out of state residents borders on violation of article 5, but nobody's successfully chaleneged that yet.

You're under the wrong impression. The 45 day defacto permit only applies to state residents. Frankly, treating out of state residents borders on violation of article 5, but nobody's successfully chaleneged that yet.

There is no 90 day deadline for the processing of a non-resident. The payment receipt gives 90 days as an "estimate" for processing. They did, however, look up my application because the 90 days had passed. The woman I spoke with told me she thought my permit was going out in the next mailing. I will update in a week or so, or if it shows up in the mail.

There is no 90 day deadline for the processing of a non-resident. The payment receipt gives 90 days as an "estimate" for processing. They did, however, look up my application because the 90 days had passed. The woman I spoke with told me she thought my permit was going out in the next mailing. I will update in a week or so, or if it shows up in the mail.

Great, thanks for the update.

Thanks everybody for sharing your experiences with me. I got on this forum to see if I could get an idea of how long the wait would be on my permit processing. That spun off into discussions on the whole carrying experience. If I hadn't joined these forums, my first couple of days carrying would have been a lot less comfortable. I really appreciate the information on what to expect. The group here, as a whole, was pretty much dead on with their advice. Got some wacky, entertaining posts, too.
Good Times.

I called September 1 because they never sent me anything stating they have received my package. They said the did and it looks like it will be a min of 60-90 days for processing for the Virginia Non-resident. I applied from OK.. From my understanding I thought they had to have it processed within 45 days???

I called September 1 because they never sent me anything stating they have received my package. They said the did and it looks like it will be a min of 60-90 days for processing for the Virginia Non-resident. I applied from OK.. From my understanding I thought they had to have it processed within 45 days???
I see where resident permit must be processed within 45 days (Link Removed.), but no restriction for nonresident :sad:
  • Link Removed
  • Link Removed

Correct, there's no statutory time to respond to non-resident permits. The state police set their own target at 90 days and pretty much they seem to hold to that even though nothing requires them to.

For resident permits, if they don't issue or deny in 45 days, the clerk is required to give you a letter to that effect which is a defacto CHP until they get around to taking action. Resident permits are handled by the individual counties and run anywhere from two weeks to the full 45 days (yes and most counties won't take any inquiries before 45 days). I swore mine out in front of the clerk in Loudoun and it took 30 days.

I called about two weeks ago and the lady said that I still had a week before my 90 day mark but now the 90 days have passed I have not heard anything so who knows how long they can take.

Ok well I received my permit today and it was over the 90 days by maybe just a week and a half or two probably because of shipping but well worth the wait.

Thanks for the update! I finally got a hold of someone last week and said it should be here within 6-9 weeks. My friend did his the week before I did and was told should have it within 45 days for the same non-resident and spoke to the same person that I did. I am going to go a head and plan on the 90 day mark.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back