Time it took to get my Virginia Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit

Received Payment Confirmation: 9-29-2012
Received Change of Address Card: 1-12-2013
Received Permit with updated Address: 2-23-2013
Issue date on Permit: 02-12-2013

So I got my receipt on the above. End of October sold my house so sent in a Change of Address via email. I was told my old address would be on the permit and I would get an address card with the updated address. I received the address card in January but never received my permit. Finally, I got an email that my permit would be mailed Friday Feb 15. I got my permit today. It has the updated address, my current one, but they mailed it to the old address. That's why it took a couple extra days. So, in total, 148 days to get my permit.

I have a feeling that if you change your address in that 10-12 week window, it will not bode well. For the one question of dimensions, i measured mine to be 3-3/4" X 2-9/16". YMMV

Texas.
Finally received my paid letter on 13 Jan 2013.
I'm crossing my fingers for first week in April.

So, ya think there are reasons it may take longer, or take less time after the paid letter?

For example:
-Many Texans have felony arrests records, but no actual convictions, because of Deferred Adjudication.
-Some people used that controversial 15-question online class for their "proof of proficiency".
-Others, like me, sent in a Level III armed security guard training certificate (although I also took that online class for curiosity sake and sent them both in.)
-Still others have extensive training in military or law enforcement.

Here's a nugget for ya.... They actually returned mine once, because they could not deduce that Christopher=Chris. Seriously. The reason for return was a mismatched first name, because some documents had Chris and some had Christopher. smh.

For mine, it was bureaucracy. I changed my address and apparently they still don't have it straight. It's a govt agency like any other.

Received my Receipt of Payment on Nov. 14th, 2012
I just emailed them today to ask if they could give me an idea of when I would get a decision or get my permit.
10-12 weeks??? Nope, those folks are busy!
I'm in Texas.

I took the online class. I live in tx. I have 30 yrs+ firearm exp. It was just cheaper do on line. I know a cop who is levelIII and still he will point muzzle at you when showing new gun. :(
No course can make a person safe. In regards to time.... non res. Permits, I think, get lower priority than residents of that state. Additionally people are arming themselves like never before all over. The department is swamped.

For you folks who emailed them... how long did it take to get a response? Looks like I've seen a few of you state that it was the next day. I emailed yesterday and have not received a response.

I got my letter Jan 4, 2013 I will keep you posted if I hear anything. Since are recieved dates are so close.
How long did they have it before sending it back for your name? thanks
No felony here !!!
Texas here also

I finally got my Virginia non-resident card. I live in Amarillo TX. During the process I emailed them twice. First time it took them about 3 days to respond. Second email they responded the next day.
Anyway, reciept of payment was 1 Nov 2012. Issue date on card is 6 Feb 2013. I recieved my card this past Friday, 22 Feb 2013. Took a bit longer then the 10-12 weeks they say, but once I saw it in the mail I wasnt upset anymore.
Just wish the card didnt look so cheesy.

I finally got my Virginia non-resident card. I live in Amarillo TX. During the process I emailed them twice. First time it took them about 3 days to respond. Second email they responded the next day.
Anyway, reciept of payment was 1 Nov 2012. Issue date on card is 6 Feb 2013. I recieved my card this past Friday, 22 Feb 2013. Took a bit longer then the 10-12 weeks they say, but once I saw it in the mail I wasnt upset anymore.
Just wish the card didnt look so cheesy.

They still haven't emailed me back... Looks like you were two weeks ahead of me, let's see if I get mine next week.

UPDATE! I actually received my permit today! Letter was dated 2/22/2013 and I got it today 2/27/2013. So got receipt on 11/14/2012 and permit in hand 2/27/2013. So a little over 3 months time.

Last edited:
Depending on your needs, you can get your Arizona, New Hampshire or Connecticut permit using the Virginia as a permit from " any other state"

It took about three or four weeks to get it back for the name issue. I was just glad they didn't cash my money order and ask for another one.

I finished my Texas CHL coruse and all paperwork . I am mailing the paperwork tomorrow morning. I shot 250 out of 250 on the range and missed 2 questions on the test.. Now the waiting game for Texas starts. I should have done this to begin with. No new from VA yet either, Its been over 2 months since
notice of payment

Hi fellow shooters, has anyone got an update from Virginia? My 90 days is coming up on 4-4-13. I have not heard anything from them at all, except the payment recieved snail mail letter.
also is she sending email notifcations out on a certin day of the week?

50 questions on the Texas test most of which are common sense answers.

I am headed to walmart to do my wallywalk today.. just got my virginia CHL in the mail..
thank all for the updates etc. I am unsubscribing from this thead
Still waiting on texas
Yehawwww

Got my VA non-res permit today April 6th. Very close to when I guessed it might be here.

"Payment Received" letter was dated January 13th.

Now let's hope Texas continues to recognize non-resident permits...

I am military stationed in VA, so I was able to get a resident and it took about a month. Be careful and check the map for reciprocity. I am a SC resident, and they will accept a VA Resident, but not a VA non-resident. I think there a couple of other states with that.

Have not recived payment reciept.
Sent 3-27-13
Delivered 3-29-13

Has this happed to anyone else?
How long did it take?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon