Thinking about switching to a revolver

Firefighterchen:254809 said:
VERDAD Investigations:254800 said:
Revolvers are reliable, and with time and practice can be shot more quickly than any semi-auto. Why? The revolver doesn't require any "action" movement to fire. Less malfunctions can occur with a revolver, and with a speed loader, you can easily carry and fire the same number of rounds. Don't knock em...they have been around forever for a reason!!!

I like revolvers...but what you just said seems wrong. Do you have any reference too back up your opinions?

I don't believe I will ever see a revolver shoot as fast as a 1911 race gun (maybe with exceptions from people like Bob Munden).

Also, my firearm holds 13+1....with one spare mag I have 27 rounds...with a 6 shooter, that's three speed loaders+...so while you can hold as many, it takes up a lot of room on the belt.

You asked a question and answered it in the same breath. Race guns and old Bob both fit in the special catagory. Bob is all the backup you need to support speed of revolvers. In all seriousness though. There is nothing wrong with a revolver as a CCW, the number of shots each holds is lame at best. I can shoot 1" groups with my .38 all day; I trade number of shots for accuracy.

Obviously you need to change if you are unable to hold and fire the weapon. Revolvers work and get the job done. Everyone can say such and such does not make a revolver or they prefer having 17 rounds. My advice is who cares what they think or my opinion for that matter. I just want to say get the caliber you can handle and find one that has a good grip that you feel comfortable with using. I can say buy Ruger, S&W, Charter, or whatever; point is... It's your preference and you have to handle and use it. Buy what you want and enjoy it.

You do not get cookies for having revolvers. Having said that, I'm still waiting, where the hell is my cookie?

I'm switching to a revolver. I have several that I can choose from, but my stand-by is a S&W Chief's Special. Just ordered a S&W M442 and looking forward to getting familiar with it at the range. As far as the controversy about the number of rounds in wheel-gun versus a semi...I would much rather have 5 or 6 well placed rounds than 11 to 17 that were "spray and pray". :)

I'm switching to a revolver. I have several that I can choose from, but my stand-by is a S&W Chief's Special. Just ordered a S&W M442 and looking forward to getting familiar with it at the range. As far as the controversy about the number of rounds in wheel-gun versus a semi...I would much rather have 5 or 6 well placed rounds than 11 to 17 that were "spray and pray". :)

I don't think it matters if you carry a revolver or semi. I have never been in a gunfight, or had to pull my weapon for self defense yet. But from what have read in the newspapers and heard from talking to LEOs, after about two shots, the incident is over. I guess mostly from the standpoint that most of these incidents happen with only about 7 ft or less separating he victim from the attacker. At seven feet, someone is going down and someone is running for cover.

My point is, we aren't trying, in my opinion, to arm ourselves for a drawn-out gunfight, needing 100 rounds of ammo. That might be needed if you got caught out in the woods while hunting, and someone started something with you. There s plenty of space out there, and you can quickly find a tree or something to block fire and return it, making it a gunfight where extra ammo is needed. But we are talking about up-close, self-defense tactics, where there is little distance between the attacker and victim. In these cases, it really doesn't matter how many bullets you have, if you at least have two or three. After three shots, it's over, either to your benefit or detriment.

Wife carries an LCR for many of the reasons you state, plus it is light. If 5 shots don't work, it is likely you lose anyway. Another problem was drawing the slide was too hard. Finally if she's home alone, reloading a clip was nearly beyond her. Sppedloaders are easy and fast.

At home a .357 with 4" barrel, or 20 gauge shotgun, will do the trick.

As you say, hopefully never needed.

Update:

Ever since I started this thread, I've been renting revolvers at the range. I enjoy the LCR quite a bit. But, here's the kicker. I was absolutely unable to fire the trigger with my non-dominant hand. Plus, I began to dislike the kick (recoil). So I then became quite confused about what to do. So I tried my LC9 again, after thoroughly cleaning it. No more FTE's if I really hold the gun right. As far as the home self defense gun, I tried a Px4 Storm (Beretta) in 9mm. The grip is absolutely perfect for me (the smallest of the three backstraps) in that I can reach the trigger in such a way as to not have my arthritic thumb knuckle in the back of the grip and I can get a good portion of my trigger finger pad on it. Plus, the rotating barrel on that gun is incredible in terms of reducing recoil to almost nothing (I'm not exaggerating). I shot my first ever steel match with husband tonight using his .40 cal Px4 and finished all 4 stages, about 125 rounds. No recoil issues at all (though I did have a perpetual slide stay locked problem. After diagnosing it, husband noticed my non-dominant thumb was pushing up the slide lock lever). I'm not going to tell you my times because they wouldn't make headlines.

Bottom line, I've reconsidered and have purchased a Px4 Storm 9mm as my home defense gun (and target gun) and will be keeping the LC9 as my CCW.

Thank you everybody for giving my your thoughtful responses. I hope you don't feel slighted that I decided to stay with my LC9. I will be selling my .40 cal XD-SC eventually. The grip is too big and the recoil is painful. I'm a Beretta convert.

Carried the revolver first, hence my handle... They are one of the finest self defense handgun choices. No worry about type 2 and 3 malfunctions.. Type 1 is simple to clear, pull the trigger again. They hardly ever get finicky about ammo.. No empty cartridges laying around as evidence (kidding)... As indicated in above post, get a good speed loader and some dummy rounds and practice... You'll be surprised how fast you can get with it...

agrippakc:259748 said:
Firefighterchen:254809 said:
VERDAD Investigations:254800 said:
Revolvers are reliable, and with time and practice can be shot more quickly than any semi-auto. Why? The revolver doesn't require any "action" movement to fire. Less malfunctions can occur with a revolver, and with a speed loader, you can easily carry and fire the same number of rounds. Don't knock em...they have been around forever for a reason!!!

I like revolvers...but what you just said seems wrong. Do you have any reference too back up your opinions?

I don't believe I will ever see a revolver shoot as fast as a 1911 race gun (maybe with exceptions from people like Bob Munden).

Also, my firearm holds 13+1....with one spare mag I have 27 rounds...with a 6 shooter, that's three speed loaders+...so while you can hold as many, it takes up a lot of room on the belt.

You asked a question and answered it in the same breath. Race guns and old Bob both fit in the special catagory. Bob is all the backup you need to support speed of revolvers. In all seriousness though. There is nothing wrong with a revolver as a CCW, the number of shots each holds is lame at best. I can shoot 1" groups with my .38 all day; I trade number of shots for accuracy.

Hey sorry I wasn't following this thread. Don't get me wrong, I like revolvers, so I hope no one thinks I am bashing them. I just think what the previous poster said was wrong. I did kind of answer my own question...but I do not like to use exceptions to make a general rule. With practice both forms can be fired quickly, but for the average/majority of shooters, a single action semi auto will be faster than a double action or single action revolver. His statements that you can carry the same amount of ammo, while being true, would take up much more room on the person. I can shoot tight groups with my .40 as well, so I haven't had to give up anything for another. We all have different criteria for our perfect handgun, and a revolver fits that criteria for many. I just don't like seeing some claim revolvers are better for reasons a, b, c, but not backing it up with examples. There are plenty of reasons why revolvers make great handguns, handguns better for certain people than semi autos, and for reasons that are backed with examples and experience. I just feel those two reasons were incorrect.

Update:

Ever since I started this thread, I've been renting revolvers at the range. I enjoy the LCR quite a bit. But, here's the kicker. I was absolutely unable to fire the trigger with my non-dominant hand. Plus, I began to dislike the kick (recoil). So I then became quite confused about what to do. So I tried my LC9 again, after thoroughly cleaning it. No more FTE's if I really hold the gun right. As far as the home self defense gun, I tried a Px4 Storm (Beretta) in 9mm. The grip is absolutely perfect for me (the smallest of the three backstraps) in that I can reach the trigger in such a way as to not have my arthritic thumb knuckle in the back of the grip and I can get a good portion of my trigger finger pad on it. Plus, the rotating barrel on that gun is incredible in terms of reducing recoil to almost nothing (I'm not exaggerating). I shot my first ever steel match with husband tonight using his .40 cal Px4 and finished all 4 stages, about 125 rounds. No recoil issues at all (though I did have a perpetual slide stay locked problem. After diagnosing it, husband noticed my non-dominant thumb was pushing up the slide lock lever). I'm not going to tell you my times because they wouldn't make headlines.

Bottom line, I've reconsidered and have purchased a Px4 Storm 9mm as my home defense gun (and target gun) and will be keeping the LC9 as my CCW.

Thank you everybody for giving my your thoughtful responses. I hope you don't feel slighted that I decided to stay with my LC9. I will be selling my .40 cal XD-SC eventually. The grip is too big and the recoil is painful. I'm a Beretta convert.

My wife had the same reaction to an LCR. It was so hard for her small hands to pull the trigger she had trouble hitting anything with it. And shooting it stung her hand. Try as she might, after 15 rounds her hand just ached.

If you ever decide the LC9 isn't the right gun, I'd recommend trying a P238 with the extended magazine. My wife (70 years old with weak hands and fragile skin) loves that little gun. It has the easiest slide to rack on the planet. Excellent full size night sights standard. It can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on if the hammer is cocked. It is a SAO gun, but that is one of the reasons she likes it - it has a nice crisp trigger with really short reset. She has no problem with the safety.

I loaded up some dummy rounds (brass, bullet, no powder or primer) for her to practice with till she can do the manual of arms and clear jams with out thinking. I'd creat the jams, including stove pipes with spent brass, double feeds, and have her clear them. We had fun doing that.

First time she fired it she turned her head to look at me and said "that is sooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!", went on to empty the magazine and ask for another one. She has put about 100 rounds of my reloads and 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it with no failures of any kind. She carries it way more than she carried any of her previous carry guns (SP101 and Ruger LCR).

Shown here with the extended magazine:

P238LtSideWExtMag-C-640RS.jpg

And my hand on it to show it does give pinky purchase with the extended grip:

ExtMag-1-C-2RS-SNE.jpg

My target, drawing and firing 6 shots in just under 4 seconds at an IPDA target @ 7 yards:

P238rapidfirejustover3secondsat7yards-C-RS.jpg

Wednesday, my hunting partner had his wife (69) shoot it. He's trying to get her to carry something more than her Kel-Tech P32. This is her first ever group with it from 21 feet:

20120125_10BarbSpohnawesomefirstshotswithNedrasSIGP238-RS.jpg

That wasn't fast, maybe 2 seconds per shot, but it sure was accurate.

He called to tell me she had him stop at Gander Mt. on the way home so she could look at some more. He's started looking, she says she wants one.

I'm seriously considering getting a second one for this summer, I don't get to play with hers unless she's asleep.

Fitch

Go with the revolver and stop your worries. I have both, revolvers and pistols, various sizes and calibers. However, my primary carry is and always has been a revolver. If 38's not enough, probably nothing else is either as the situation is most probably beyond control. I do carry a small 380 as a backup, but hope I never will need it, as I don't trust it like I do my 38.

A revolver, for the most part is dependable. If you meed more than 6 shots, you have bigger problems than gun capacity. One more plus with the revolver....no empties with fingerprints left behind! :)

Fitch: that is great advice, and that is a very pretty firearm!! And that grouping is awesome.

I will definitely keep this in mind.

I was new to handguns and almost gave up. We had tried so many guns at a variety of dealers that I was getting a little embarassed. I was looking at revolvers and giving them serious consideration. My DH did some searching online and suggested we check the P238 out. Once I held it in my hand, I turned to him and said TY TY! It is an ideal gun for someone that has trouble racking the slide. The recoil is light, love the night sights, size is great especially for womens smaller hands. This gun has given me the freedom to feel I can be prepared. I don't have to turn to DH at the range and ask for his help. He won't always be with me. Why would I want to consider CC with something that I can't work! It's got my vote! I have the P238 Lady.

The Ruger SP101 is a great little gun especially the spur-less (Double Action Only) hammer model. You can load it with few .38's and a couple of 125gr .357's as backups. it the .38's don't stop the attacker, the .357's should end the threat. As stated in earlier posts, encounters are generally at "close' range.

My wife had the same reaction to an LCR. It was so hard for her small hands to pull the trigger she had trouble hitting anything with it. And shooting it stung her hand. Try as she might, after 15 rounds her hand just ached.

If you ever decide the LC9 isn't the right gun, I'd recommend trying a P238 with the extended magazine. My wife (70 years old with weak hands and fragile skin) loves that little gun. It has the easiest slide to rack on the planet. Excellent full size night sights standard. It can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on if the hammer is cocked. It is a SAO gun, but that is one of the reasons she likes it - it has a nice crisp trigger with really short reset. She has no problem with the safety.

I loaded up some dummy rounds (brass, bullet, no powder or primer) for her to practice with till she can do the manual of arms and clear jams with out thinking. I'd creat the jams, including stove pipes with spent brass, double feeds, and have her clear them. We had fun doing that.

First time she fired it she turned her head to look at me and said "that is sooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!", went on to empty the magazine and ask for another one. She has put about 100 rounds of my reloads and 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it with no failures of any kind. She carries it way more than she carried any of her previous carry guns (SP101 and Ruger LCR).

Shown here with the extended magazine:

P238LtSideWExtMag-C-640RS.jpg

And my hand on it to show it does give pinky purchase with the extended grip:

ExtMag-1-C-2RS-SNE.jpg

My target, drawing and firing 6 shots in just under 4 seconds at an IPDA target @ 7 yards:

P238rapidfirejustover3secondsat7yards-C-RS.jpg

Wednesday, my hunting partner had his wife (69) shoot it. He's trying to get her to carry something more than her Kel-Tech P32. This is her first ever group with it from 21 feet:

20120125_10BarbSpohnawesomefirstshotswithNedrasSIGP238-RS.jpg

That wasn't fast, maybe 2 seconds per shot, but it sure was accurate.

He called to tell me she had him stop at Gander Mt. on the way home so she could look at some more. He's started looking, she says she wants one.

I'm seriously considering getting a second one for this summer, I don't get to play with hers unless she's asleep.

Fitch

That is a sweet looking gun and your description of it and your wife's reaction to it, and your friend's wife's grouping (gasp that was amazing) have all convinced me to check it out the next time I'm at a range that rents them. Or at least I will try to get my hands on one to see how it feels. Thank you for the thorough, thoughtful description.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back