Thinking about switching to a revolver

xenaxdsc

My current EDC is a Ruger LC9 and I love it. However, the arthritis in my shooting hand thumb is getting pretty bad such that I'm developing quite a knob at the base of the thumb. That, coupled with very small hands, I've been noticing that I'm having more trouble reaching the trigger without shifting my hand such that my thumb "knob" is taking much of the recoil of my semi-automatic. I've started having more failures to eject, or failure for the slide to stay back at the last round, and it's because of my arthritis and not being able to keep the proper grip through the recoil. (We tested that it was me and not the gun. My husband ran through all the different ammo we use and couldn't get a single failure. So we knew it was me and my grip, not the gun.)

For this reason, plus I happen to think revolvers are more elegant than semis, and I like their trigger pull, I'm seriously considering switching to a revolver.

At first I felt bad about this decision, mainly because there are more rounds in a semi-automatic and they're easier/faster to reload a lot of rounds. But as I got to thinking about it, I see an advantage to using a revolver as my EDC and at-home self defense gun. This will sound extreme, but bear with me. When I think of the main situation I'm likely to have to defend myself in, I think of rape. If I'm lucky (smart?) enough to have my firearm with me and still in my possession, then the advantage of revolver over semi automatic is that you can hold a revolver against a rapist's body and fire multiple shots without worrying that the slide won't go back into battery. And since rape is one thing I am most likely to defend myself against, I want something that I can reach for and shove into the abdomen of a rapist.

Trust me, I hope I never have to find out. But given the arthritis and the close-range consideration, I'm seriously considering this. I'm going to start renting small and large revolvers to see what I think.

If anyone else has made the switch or has reasons they decided not to, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I don't think there is a problem in the world with a revolver. I have a bunch of them and I love them.

You pull the trigger and shoot, nothing to remember, nothing to go wrong, no safety, on most.

I seriousley doubt your ever gonna need more than 5 or 6 rounds anyway. I feel perfectly at ease with my 6 shot 1911.

Those who carry multiple 17 rnd mags are waiting for the world to end. I'm not that scared, YET! :):):)

If I can get home after the world ends, I'll pick up my bigger guns and loaded mags. Until that, I don't think I'm gonna be in a shootout. If I'm wrong, I guess they can tell me 'I told you so'. :):)

KK

Sounds like you have already decided what you want to do and I agree with you if you can't properly handle the weapon then your pretty much a fish outta the water if you want something that has a good punch I recommend a derringer that shoots .410 shot shells they come with a variety of loads from slug to double 00 buck shot and also 5 .357 pellet slugs. They are small pocket guns that would probably best fit your needs

My wife has much the same problem with nerve damage in her strong shooting hand. It's confined to the last 2 fingers. She's been a wheel gunner since day 1 and lately we have been shopping for a semi for her EDC but so far she hasn't found anything that suites her in the semi class. She hasn't found one that is thin enough to fit her grip comfortably that still gives solid support to her entire grip. The semis that fit the width requirement, with rare exception, leave her pinky un-anchored.

So it looks like we'll be shopping for different carry rigs for her Ruger Snubbie instead of a semi. She has a 'custom' grip on it that has finger grooves and is extender to giver her pinky some purchase on the grip. It feels good in her hand and she hit what she aims for.

The main thrust to get her into a semi was to increase the initial ammo volume. I wanted her to get something with at least 7 round to give her 2 up on the Ruger. She's been having more and more problems with the speed loader and I thought a semi would be the way to go. But it seems she will be sticking with the Ruger wheel gun.

I guess this is just a long way of sayin' you're not alone with the grip issues.

If you want to give semi-autos another shot (no pun intended) - I highly recommend trying out the Smith and Wesson M&P compact 9mm or compact .40 caliber. Each gun comes with 3 interchangeable backstraps - small, medium, and large. You might find that one of them is a good fit for your hand.

Otherwise - there are plenty of good revolvers out there. Check out the Ruger LCR in .38 Special. It has a pretty sweet trigger. (FINALLY Ruger gets a trigger "right" from the factory. Charter Arms has a pretty nice selection, less expensive, with a wider variety of calibers. (Of particular note is the .44 Special "Bulldog" snubbie.)

Lastly, whichever you choose, you may want to consider finding someone to custom - carve a grip to fit your hand. Maybe have it carved from wood then dipped in a liquid polymer for comfort.

xenaxdsc, I sympathize with your condition. Arthritis forced me to end one of my favorite activities --running. I wish you the best.
As to your great idea of trying a bunch of revolvers for size, what if you find one with the caliber and action you like, but the grip isn't right? If that happens, you can do a Google search and have custom grips made. Good luck!

As to your great idea of trying a bunch of revolvers for size, what if you find one with the caliber and action you like, but the grip isn't right? If that happens, you can do a Google search and have custom grips made. Good luck!

That was my thinking too!

Revolvers are reliable, and with time and practice can be shot more quickly than any semi-auto. Why? The revolver doesn't require any "action" movement to fire. Less malfunctions can occur with a revolver, and with a speed loader, you can easily carry and fire the same number of rounds. Don't knock em...they have been around forever for a reason!!!

VERDAD Investigations:254800 said:
Revolvers are reliable, and with time and practice can be shot more quickly than any semi-auto. Why? The revolver doesn't require any "action" movement to fire. Less malfunctions can occur with a revolver, and with a speed loader, you can easily carry and fire the same number of rounds. Don't knock em...they have been around forever for a reason!!!

I like revolvers...but what you just said seems wrong. Do you have any reference too back up your opinions?

I don't believe I will ever see a revolver shoot as fast as a 1911 race gun (maybe with exceptions from people like Bob Munden).

Also, my firearm holds 13+1....with one spare mag I have 27 rounds...with a 6 shooter, that's three speed loaders+...so while you can hold as many, it takes up a lot of room on the belt.

As you might imagine, or if you do a google revolver vs pistol you will come up with TONS of opinions regarding this issue. There is no doubt that one advantage of a pistol is the bullet capacity. Accuracy, malfunction reduction being some of the advantages of a revolver. I am a HUGE fan of the 1911, carry one daily, but I hate to see anyone think a revolver can't do the job! Best case scenario-carry both!! Practice with both. No need to re-load either if your BUG is ready!

I own far more revolvers that autos. Never have to worry about FTF or FTE. Springs are at rest waiting for the trigger to be pulled. I highly recommend revolvers for hunting, home defense, target shooting, and concealed carry. I have some for each category. For the OP I would recommend Ruger LCR 22LR (8rd), S&W J-frame 43c 8rd 22LR, or S&W J-frame 351c 7rd 22MAG. I have a LCR in 38 it's felt recoil is high than either of 45ACPs I carry. I have a S&W 617 K-frame 10rd 22LR. Double action trigger pull is lighter that Colt Python or LCR. The main reason is the distance in degrees the trigger pull has to rotate the cylinder. 5rd needs to move 72 degrees, 6rd 60 degrees, 7rd 51 degrees, 8rd 45 degrees and finally 10rd 36 degrees. For the point blank (possibly muzzle blocked) shooting you are talking about, odds are your wrist will be at an odd angle. Felt recoil will be magnified greatly. While a revolver will not fail to operate with a blocked muzzle. The spacing between cylinder and forcing cone will not release all of the increased pressure. That's why I'm recommending 22's over 38/357 for you. As much as I like my LCR the S&W J-frame has a much larger choice of custom grips and of accessories. Hopefully you have some ranges that rent guns you can fire small frame revolver of any caliber so you can feel the recoil for yourself. Good luck and stay safe.

revolver?

I am relatively new to handgun use. I have tried a number of sa pistols both cheap & expensive. I have have has issues with each one ! I want the gun to go bang when I pull the trigger and it flawlessly each time. I switched to a .357/38 spec snubbie and I love it. Bad news for anyone in front of it and loud enough to scare anyone especially indoors. I use this snubbie IWB very comfortably also a hiride owb . My next purchase will be a speed loader. No more pistols for me at any price. I do not like the tiny .380 & 9mm pistols because they are too hard on the hand & difficult to control over distance of more than a few yards. One tiny almost broke my trigger finger when the trigger slamed forward.

Switch

I too have just gone back to my model 49 S&W and or my Det / Special
Colt.

Aches and pains in 74 year hands.Stored my Kimber 45 auto for now.

Revolver over semi-automatic for arthritic hands

Ma'am, there is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying and using a revolver. simplicity, relability and performance are excellent. Choose a caliber that you can handle comfortably, the 327 magnum is small and a high performer. But, don't listen to me. I don't know you personally and only you know what is comfortable for you. The comment about 410 is over the top. Get what fits you. Practice with it until you are competent, and keep practicing. Dry firing is a good inexpensive practice for doing at home. Your best thing is like your vredit card motto. Never leave hoe without it. Also carry at home. Home invasions hapen there and you need to always be prepared. Just my two cets. Good luck with your efforts.

"And since rape is one thing I am most likely to defend myself against, I want something that I can reach for and shove into the abdomen of a rapist."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

I was thinking you might want to drop it down a few inches, putting it in "another" area:) That guy won't rape again!

After going through several revolvers and semi's, I've settled on a Ruger LCR and a Beretta Bobcat 22. Both are easy to carry and highly reliable. I carry one or both depending on conditions. Look into Glucosamine - Chondroitin - MSM combinations for the arthritis. It was recommended to me by an old friend who had it bad.

Carrying a revolver is not a handicap unless you are surrounded by zombies. I carried a Ruger SP101 for a while, but it was significantly thicker than a semi-auto. I sold it and got a thin 9mm sub-compact. That said, you will not be under gunned with a revolver, but I do recommend you get and practice using speed loaders.

Jim

My mom has bad arthritis and nerve damage in her non shooting hand. It's gotten worse over the last year or two. Which makes it difficult for her to reload ad operate the slide properly. And properly hold the gun during firing. So she gets fte and ftl. I've been thinkin of getting her a revolver. The charter arms revolvers seem to fit her good. She has small dainty hands. I feel that they are relible and adequate for her to carry concealed.

I may even switch my carry gun to a .38 to try and convince her.

One other problem she has is her shoulder ligaments are bad. So im suggesting she cross draw Carries or carries in her purse. Because she has difficulty raising her arms especially pulling from the belt.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back