Tactical Pens any good?

CherokeeVictory

Has anyone found a valid use for the tactical pen, like the one by UZI, that is supposed to be just as lethal as a gun, plus collects DNA samples?:laugh:

I have two of the tactical pens. I have the newer model Uzi that has the glass breaker on the end rather than the crown. And I also have an early Smith and Wesson. I carry both in my left front jeans pocket. I carry them in this position since I am right handed. This way if warding off an attack I can grab a pen with my left hand and use as a stabbing motion as I turn away from an attacker and draw my sidearm with my right.

My UZI pen is always with me. It stopped writing, but uses Fisher pen refills. Looks a little big in a woman's hand, however. Who trains how to use one of these pens most effectively?

S&W pens

The S&W pens Write very good. I got some for my wife and Daughters. They have to be at class and work late. And I feel they need to have a way to protect themselves at all times.

I would use them as one would a yawara or Kuboton. Hold it in your fist and strike down or up into vulnerable areas of the body: back of the hands to make someone release their grip; back of the wrist; below the ear up under the jaw along the jawline, into the throat, down onto the collar bone; into the shoulder joint, the point of the hip; on top of the foot; eyes, temple, etc. The options are only limited by your knowledge and imagination. It can be used to strike with or just ot apply slow steady pressure for pain compliance or leverage techniques. Get some training in a good hand-to-hand system. Such training will also help with handgun retention.

Be Strong!

I found one at academy sports that's smith and wesson. No writing pen but instead has a light in the top. Good tool for police and ems

If you have to have a "tactical pen", get one that uses Fisher refills. I use a pen I bought at Office Max for $5.99. It has a twist-to-open function rather than a push button, and an aluminum barrel.I think that Cross makes them for Office Max to add their name.
In some parts of the country, Kubotons, tactical pens, and that sort of thing are illegal. Be careful of that. I $6 or $7 pen from Office Max will never be illegalized. Look for something that can't be illegalized.

Its not a pen gun we are talking about.

Most of these tactical pens are capped I thought? No push button no twisty. Tactical is over used, but that's their name.

I need more money for more stuff.

These tactical pens, can it be transported by plane internationally...which brand is safe to bring overseas?

Dangit! more accessories!!!

Maybe I am missing the boat on these pens but it seems to me that the only people who can use something like this with any hope of it doing its intended self defense job is someone who is fairly competent in close defense combat; I would guess that the majority of this forum's members, including myself, are not in this category. A stun gun, on the other hand, only requires the pushing of a button and no twisting of caps, turning it around, finding a spot to attack etal, which are the requirements of this pen. Furthermore, Tucker's Mom mentions air travel---I would think some Homeland Security Agent will have a nice present once the unit is discovered and taken away. With a little distance sans firearm, at least pepper spray or equivalent gives you an edge over the pen. Guess I just do not get the "pen".

kelcarry:230063 said:
Maybe I am missing the boat on these pens but it seems to me that the only people who can use something like this with any hope of it doing its intended self defense job is someone who is fairly competent in close defense combat; I would guess that the majority of this forum's members, including myself, are not in this category. A stun gun, on the other hand, only requires the pushing of a button and no twisting of caps, turning it around, finding a spot to attack etal, which are the requirements of this pen. Furthermore, Tucker's Mom mentions air travel---I would think some Homeland Security Agent will have a nice present once the unit is discovered and taken away. With a little distance sans firearm, at least pepper spray or equivalent gives you an edge over the pen. Guess I just do not get the "pen".

I guess you can say its just another tool in the tool box. Because I carry a pen all the time, replacing it with something that won't break if I use it would be nice. Have you every heard the advice of placing your car keys in your fist (like wolverine) at night while walking to your car in case of a bad guy to make a more affective strike? I think this kind of pen fulfills a great non lethal solution for those who are physically able.

The airport thing is a good point. But a stun gun, tazer, pepper spray, etc will all be taken from you if you don't secure it in your check on bag. I would do the same with these pens.

The S&W pens Write very good. I got some for my wife and Daughters. They have to be at class and work late. And I feel they need to have a way to protect themselves at all times.
This pen is great. It's made of aircraft grade aluminum, has a checkered grip for retention, has a very sharp point and is heavy. It's also about an inch longer than the average pen. It can be used as a pointing device into one's ribs for body control, as a strike device, to control a perp through wrist locks and to jab well into the rib area. I have one with me everywere I go. You can get them for $25 on ebay. The write well and hold parker or cross refills.

Link Removed

Any pen or pencil can be tactical. The point of these is that they are more durable, so they will stand up to repeated striking/stabbing. And the "DNA collection" is just because you're using a hollow object that (GROOSSSSS) will nearly always collect (EWWWWW) some of your attacker's skin, blood, or (AAACK) muscle tissue.

haha you beat me to the puch RDC2CO...!

I have the S&W tac pen and some other ones. What I did was strip the finish on them and I used duracot on one and cerakote on the other one. I made them look as civilian pens.

You are correct, get the ones that use the common refills, because you rally do not want to buy a $18 pen and when the refill is done you need to get a $25.00 refill, yeah not cool.

I'm not going to say the mark of the vendor, out of respect..but they know who they are...Oh they know...!

1- Penguns are considered AOW under NFA rules.

2- Any product that is labled as :pleasantry:"tactical":pleasantry: is obviously a better product than one that isn't :pleasantry:"tactical":pleasantry:

How do you like my tactical toilet paper?

Thanks for the response but pepper spray is not allowed on international travel to Australia for a looooonnnnggg time. I've been trying to buy a small can for travel overseas for over 10 years now...<sigh>

Last I saw tactical pens are not allowed on US aircraft unless in checked bags. Also the UZI pen does work with a twisting motion,while the problem with my early S&W pen is when you unscrew the cap to write, the cap does not screw on the other end of the pen. The new S&W pens do have threads on the top of the pen to hold the cap while writing.

pmb61:230264 said:
Last I saw tactical pens are not allowed on US aircraft unless in checked bags. Also the UZI pen does work with a twisting motion,while the problem with my early S&W pen is when you unscrew the cap to write, the cap does not screw on the other end of the pen. The new S&W pens do have threads on the top of the pen to hold the cap while writing.

I looked them up and you are right. They make twist and capped, and most capped don't look like they have threads on the other side. The twist works the pen portion btw kel, you don't need to do anything other then grab it for defensive purposes.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back