Tactical Pens any good?

Tactical pens are seen as a weapon in TSA mindset.

Think about this; How many passengers on any one given flight are business people? Is it fair to assume that a popular pen like Cross, Fisher, Mont Blanc, etc would not cause anyone to blink an eye?
I bought a very nice twist-to-open, twist-to-close ballpoint pen at office Max for $5.99 ($6.00). It has a pretty sturdy aluminum barrel.

If a TSA worker sees a pen with "Smith and Wesson" on it, they naturally connect that with S&W guns and see it as 'trouble'. If they see "5.11 Tactical" or "Colt" or something like that, they will connect that with those companies.
If they see a nice pen that looks like (or is) a Cross, Mont Blanc, Liz Claiborne, etc, they will see an image of Donald Trump in their mind. Can you see the difference in the signal you are giving out and the signal that the TSA rep is receiving?
I bought a pen with a very sturdy aluminum barrel at Office Max for 5.99. I bought another one later with a similar aluminum barrel, but with automotive brake line on the outside of the barrel for $12.99.("GearHead thing?)

Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Pep Boys, Checker Auto Parts, etc for pens like that. The city and County of Denver calls a 6-cell, 4-cell, or 3-cell Maglite a 'weapon', but a 2-D Cell Maglite is not a weapon- ummmm...whatever....
If you want to pay a small fortune for a pen that has the word "Tactical" somewhere on it, rather than a $6-10 twist open/closed pen, well it's your money.

Just some comments on my previous reply and those who quoted from it.Maybe my wording was not correct but it is obvious that a can of spray will never pass muster at the airport. I was only referring to spray as a better alternative to a pen out in the street. Some have indicated that the pen is "another tool" or "somewhat equivalent to a key pointed out in your hand" and I agree with these comments. IMO, however, if I am going to be carrying or holding something in my hand for a "close" encounter (and that is the only use for the pen), I'd rather carry (and do) a stun gun, which does not require my exact placement into a vulnerable part of a perp during the chaos of a personal attack. Hey, if it works for you great; I just do not get it when ranked against other easy to carry self defense possibilities.

I got a freebie tactical pen from Botach Tactical after buying a scope! A nice little weapon but stopped writing shortly after getting it! Have to see what refill it takes!

I was given a good idea by an instructor: "never be without light". Sooooooo, I always carry a small SureFire. It's legal anywhere, even on airplanes, and is an effective weapon in the fist.

Just some comments on my previous reply and those who quoted from it.Maybe my wording was not correct but it is obvious that a can of spray will never pass muster at the airport. I was only referring to spray as a better alternative to a pen out in the street. Some have indicated that the pen is "another tool" or "somewhat equivalent to a key pointed out in your hand" and I agree with these comments. IMO, however, if I am going to be carrying or holding something in my hand for a "close" encounter (and that is the only use for the pen), I'd rather carry (and do) a stun gun, which does not require my exact placement into a vulnerable part of a perp during the chaos of a personal attack. Hey, if it works for you great; I just do not get it when ranked against other easy to carry self defense possibilities.
Good point. It's good for people who don't have other options like a stunner, blade or spray. I find it passes through courthouse screenings without incident. But older folks, the disabled and those without some close quarters fighting ability won't be able to employ the pen with any great success.

rdc2co:230529 said:
Think about this; How many passengers on any one given flight are business people? Is it fair to assume that a popular pen like Cross, Fisher, Mont Blanc, etc would not cause anyone to blink an eye?
I bought a very nice twist-to-open, twist-to-close ballpoint pen at office Max for $5.99 ($6.00). It has a pretty sturdy aluminum barrel.

If a TSA worker sees a pen with "Smith and Wesson" on it, they naturally connect that with S&W guns and see it as 'trouble'. If they see "5.11 Tactical" or "Colt" or something like that, they will connect that with those companies.
If they see a nice pen that looks like (or is) a Cross, Mont Blanc, Liz Claiborne, etc, they will see an image of Donald Trump in their mind. Can you see the difference in the signal you are giving out and the signal that the TSA rep is receiving?
I bought a pen with a very sturdy aluminum barrel at Office Max for 5.99. I bought another one later with a similar aluminum barrel, but with automotive brake line on the outside of the barrel for $12.99.("GearHead thing?)

Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Pep Boys, Checker Auto Parts, etc for pens like that. The city and County of Denver calls a 6-cell, 4-cell, or 3-cell Maglite a 'weapon', but a 2-D Cell Maglite is not a weapon- ummmm...whatever....
If you want to pay a small fortune for a pen that has the word "Tactical" somewhere on it, rather than a $6-10 twist open/closed pen, well it's your money.

I have seen pens around $12. The pens you mention like Monte Blanc are expensive as well. They also do not have the checkering for sweaty hands.

Kel, I must of misread your post. Since I carry a pen everywhere to write with, a defensive pen would continue to play that role, but have the ability to be used without breaking or slipping in my hand. Tazers definitely have advantages on disabling quicker, but that would be another cell phone sized object to carry around. For me, that's too much bulk. For others, like yourself, can fit it into your attire. To each his own.

I wouldnt buy one myself. If SHTF, I would look for a more blunt force object or simply escape the situation rather than try to stab my way to safety with a pen.

Office Max- DiVoga brand pens- average $6.99. Find a twist-to-open pen with steel or aluminum barrel. Those "tactical" pens aren't any better. I don't waste my time or money with "tactical" pens, although a carry a Fisher "bullet" space pen because it doesn't freeze or dry up. In winter, it's usually me that freezes first!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back