Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!

Red Hat

What a sinkhole and it's getting bigger! It looks like a big drain...

Sinkhole in Guatemala: Giant Could Get Even Bigger

Link Removed

Link Removed

Ker Than

for National Geographic News

Published June 1, 2010

A huge sinkhole in Guatemala City (map), Guatemala, crashed into being on Sunday, reportedly swallowing a three-story building—and echoing a similar, 2007 sinkhole in Guatemala.

The 2010 Guatemala sinkhole has likely been weeks or even years in the making—floodwaters from tropical storm Agatha caused the sinkhole to finally collapse, scientists say.

The sinkhole appears to be about 60 feet (18 meters) wide and about 30 stories deep, said James Currens, a hydrogeologist at the University of Kentucky.

That doesn't even look real! If I had not seen the pics on other new sites I'd swear it was photoshoped. That's some crazy stuff.

That doesn't even look real! If I had not seen the pics on other new sites I'd swear it was photoshoped. That's some crazy stuff.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. Luckily I first saw it on Fox News so I knew that they checked it out before reporting on it. It looks like someone bored a hole in the ground. Perfectly round!

After looking it seems that they have had their share of sinkholes! Link Removed

I thought the same thing when I saw it. Luckily I first saw it on Fox News so I knew that they checked it out before reporting on it. It looks like someone bored a hole in the ground. Perfectly round!

After looking it seems that they have had their share of sinkholes! Link Removed

Yep I saw that this was not there first one. It is wild how it's like someone just drilled a hole straight down. You'd think it'd have more of a cone shape. Makes you wonder what was under there before it collapsed or if there are more hidden underground caves, ect.

It looks like the gateway to Hell, doesn't it?

One can understand how the ancient Maya and Aztec would throw offerings into the sinkholes, called cenotes, that dot Mesoamerica to appease the evil spirits they believed dwell down there.

Ob punchline: I don't think all of the highway maintenance units in all of Guatemala can patch that pothole.

Would be intriguing to send a UAV down in there to see what the extent of the cavern is. If it shows a throne of skulls, call me.

It looks like the gateway to Hell, doesn't it?

One can understand how the ancient Maya and Aztec would throw offerings into the sinkholes, called cenotes, that dot Mesoamerica to appease the evil spirits they believed dwell down there.

Ob punchline: I don't think all of the highway maintenance units in all of Guatemala can patch that pothole.

Would be intriguing to send a UAV down in there to see what the extent of the cavern is. If it shows a throne of skulls, call me.

ɔp 'uoʇƃuıɥsbɐʍ uı ʇno dod noʎ op 'ǝloɥ sıɥʇ oʇuı llɐɟ noʎ ɟı

Oh, but that one like this would open at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Please, Lord, pleeeaaase....

For those that want to know, sinkholes like this are usually limestone in nature and develop when the groundwater underneath them, which is basically supporting the layers above, is depleted. Once you remove the groundwater foundation, oops, there it is. Limestone and related rock types (e.g., dolomite) are also more easily eroded by water over time than other rock types (e.g., sandstone and shale), thus weakening a portion of the rock strata (the sinkhole area).

Hey, what can I say, it's the college professor in me coming out and providing more information than you really wanted! :biggrin:

Oh, and Ricbak has WAY too much time on his hands, apparently! Wish I was retired!!!

Oh, but that one like this would open at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Please, Lord, pleeeaaase....

For those that want to know, sinkholes like this are usually limestone in nature and develop when the groundwater underneath them, which is basically supporting the layers above, is depleted. Once you remove the groundwater foundation, oops, there it is. Limestone and related rock types (e.g., dolomite) are also more easily eroded by water over time, thus weakening a portion of the rock strata (the sinkhole area).

Hey, what can I say, it's the college professor in me coming out and providing more information than you really wanted! :biggrin:

The scary thang is this hole may not be done! 30 "Stories" deep... 300 feet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back